Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Thanks for the comparison (moon size difference is kinda funny). I might try RWL just to see for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

URWLNV decreases the yellow significantly and there's more detail visible in the window texture:

I remember URLWNV as being a good weather mod with lots of features and configurability, but think I'll stick with RWL Redesigned just to run something different.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

v1ld posted:

URWLNV decreases the yellow significantly and there's more detail visible in the window texture:

seems to be at the cost of making everything really dark. and that lamp on the left of the saloon is barely providing any illumination.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

v1ld posted:

Mojave Sandy Desert is neat if you want less trees and more desert in your Mojave. I switched over to the Vanilla tree replacer version of Vurt's WFO and then found that mod which goes a bit further by removing 8 tree types found in the desert areas along with adding some browner dirt textures.

It's all very brown, but I'm liking it as a good change.

E: Pics on the mod page are using some lighting mod to make it all much bleaker than it looks in my game where I'm using RWL Redesigned for lighting.

To the best of my knowledge, the level of vegetation in the mojave in-game is actually realistic, and less than it has in real life.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

That's pretty neat, didn't know that. I like the grass in that pic, would probably eat all of the fps to try to get that in this engine.

I was primarily disabling the A Wasteland in Bloom mod because there were too many flowers for me, made it harder to see harvestable plants and other stuff lying around. Vurt's WFO used as a vanilla texture replacer is great, may still move back to that level of vegetation. Its landscape seam fixes and texture upgrades are very good and even necessary IMO.

Did one AWO(Less)P dungeon, Goodsprings Sewer, and it was very good. Good level design and it wasn't full of OP gear either. Looking forward to the other 22 now.

Stewie's Tweaks' built-in Save Manager is nice. Not having to use CASM feels weird, that was always one of the first mods I'd add. Putting Stewie's incremental save on F5 and bumping their number to 10 total is perfect for me, but the other tweakable auto-save settings are useful too. Such a great mod.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Zereth posted:

To the best of my knowledge, the level of vegetation in the mojave in-game is actually realistic, and less than it has in real life.

It depends heavily on the time of year. In the spring during monsoon season, yeah plenty of scrub and some flowers for a couple days. Once the 120+ degree days roll in everything dries out real quick. Might be different in the Nevada parts, my experience is mostly the Joshua Tree/29 Palms part of the Mojave.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

U Bullet Time has a cool Patient Mode: "When Patient Mode is enabled, Action Points will be consume on each individual shot/attack instead of over time while aiming down sights." It also ensures that you get the same number of shots in bullet time as you would have in VATS. Gives you all the benefits of VATS and adjusts perks to fit.

So it's like using VATS except you have to aim and they're moving towards you and attacking, albeit in slo-mo. Quite liking it so far.

Took AWOLP out from the load order though I like it so far. The dungeons are neat, but I want to run full base game and DLCs and that's a lot of content already.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I've had MoreMojave filling up that slot. It's been hit or miss. Some locations are pretty good, some less so, some are bare bone WiPs---though the mod author took out a lot in the latest update; some of it really didn't belong in a public release. It's very ambitious. In addition to filling in empty spots in the map, it expands vanilla borders (less so in the latest patch).

Nothing has been horrible in the vein of old AWOP, but some areas feel out of place (like a second power plant not far from Helios). In general, though, the location design has felt a step above similar mods I've tried and there are a lot of dungeons here (I'm not counting the clearly WiP stuff here, though I'm not sure exactly how much was cut).

The author has a tendency of dumping items that otherwise never show up naturally in FNV (like tin grenades, special ammo, or high survival cooked food), and it always sticks out. And that brings up the problem you touched on: adding more areas means more loot and more xp, which can disrupt the intended player progression (there are even some skill books). Plus there were a few locations with mid to late game gear in the early game areas (though they're not unguarded).There's not much of it, but the writing needs editing by someone better at English.

All that said, I haven't really minded anything about it (again, save for the unfinished stuff), and quite a few areas felt like a natural (albeit slightly duller, since there's no quests associated afaict) extension of FNV. Sometimes you just want to shoot stuff, and MM provides ample opportunity without egregiously sticking most of the time. The radiated areas have been tense with my FO4 survival mode ruleset (though I increasingly think having rads hurt your HP is a bad idea in FNV because unlike FO4 your rad resist caps at 85%, making irradiated maps scorching hell holes) without dumb stuff like 10 deathclaws attacking you at once.

Idk, it's rough at times, but I'd miss aspects of it if I took it out. Ideally, it gets a few revisions, because imo it has the most potential of this kind of mod (of this size) that I've tried.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 8, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

v1ld posted:

U Bullet Time has a cool Patient Mode: "When Patient Mode is enabled, Action Points will be consume on each individual shot/attack instead of over time while aiming down sights." It also ensures that you get the same number of shots in bullet time as you would have in VATS. Gives you all the benefits of VATS and adjusts perks to fit.

So it's like using VATS except you have to aim and they're moving towards you and attacking, albeit in slo-mo. Quite liking it so far.

I've been meaning to try this kind of mod, but my playthroughs are usually years apart so I don't get too experimental. Cause you are putting a lot of faith in the author's ability to keep things balanced. PushTheWinButton did one too, iirc.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

New Vegas bounties has always been my go to for pure. Go somewhere and shoot poo poo fun.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
it's old now but for NV color/lighting/etc i usually just go with this one https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/39619 and do some minor tweaks with it's options.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I use the imaginator too. It's not as in depth as a Reshade or whatever the hell that thing is, but that's a double-edged blade, in that it won't mess up your game if you install it wrong, either.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I've had MoreMojave filling up that slot. [...]

It looked interesting.

Another reason to take out AWOLP and possibly Autumn Leaves, well done as they are, is that the core game is just so good and I'd like to focus on it. The writing, plotting and motivating are just right at the top of the genre still.

The mining crew supervisor at Sloan mentions how they're getting paid in NCR money which has a 1:2 exchange rate with caps. It's exactly the kind of thing someone in that position would be concerned about - but also a great example of how well this game shows you detail about the setting through the people in it.

Ran into some of The Living Desert's additions and they fit in really well so far. Quite impressed.

Rinkles posted:

I've been meaning to try this kind of mod, but my playthroughs are usually years apart so I don't get too experimental. Cause you are putting a lot of faith in the author's ability to keep things balanced. PushTheWinButton did one too, iirc.

Yeah, I had PTWB's version before coming across this one. I like the Patient Mode a lot. The author of this one won't let you tweak the underlying balance, quite opinionated. Hence the 1:1 mapping with VATS actions.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I forgot to mention that in a few areas MM fucks up navmeshes (at least for your companions). The overpass by the Gun Runners is now a Fiend base (similar to what Gunners do in FO4), which is cool and all, but companions go hay wire in that area. They might start running away from you when you get near the Gun Runner robot. Also I’ve had issue with the provided LOD.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

That overpass gets mentioned in so many mods as a possible conflict.

I've been regenerating LOD quite a bit, even after removing mods like AWOLP. Probably more than needed, but it's not too ridiculously long at around 13 mins so.

JSUE and Economy Overhaul have done a very good job of managing money and weight. I'm not picking up everything, nor can I afford that much. I'm using bulk ammo for the laser pistol right now but have scrounged and crafted 150 non-bulk EC for use later. Feels good to run across a Bright Follower corpse with 30 EC on it.

There's a bit too much scarcity of food for purchase, but I'm not at the point when I can cook food yet. Would have been good to have some recipes for grilling meat that didn't require another ingredient but delivered say half the nutrition of the steak recipes. Would motivate me to go hunt some geckos, but right now I drop off the meat at the gas station in the hope I'll get the other ingredients some day.

jsawyer hard plus hardcore feels good for combat too at the lower levels I'm at. Game does a dirty and spawns in powder gangers outside the truck on its side just past the NCRCF turn off on the road to Sloan. There're 5-6 including one armed with a 10mm SMG that really hurt. That took me 3 tries to clear in my current weak state and while experimenting with that U Bullet Time mod, but it didn't feel cheap - well other than the game spawning them after I enter the truck.

The truck was full of food so it felt like a good battle in terms of effort to reward. Pretty cool too that hardcore is tuned so well by jsawyer that I was super excited to find fruits and steaks.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Player Combat Priority is a neat way of increasing combat difficulty organically by having enemies focus more on the player rather than companions.

I've also set companion damage both received and given to 50% using Stewie's Tweaks like in Cirosan's follower overhaul.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

My beginning hours were great. I was weak and vulnerable and had to think twice about any engagement, or even the possibility of an engagement (I was trying to play by sleep to save rules). But around hour 6 or 8, most of that had passed, once I’d amassed enough resources to have the gear and ammo I needed. It was still better than vanilla and I was still very squishy (in part cause I was playing with FO4 survival damage) and had to think through what I was taking with me, but I missed the desperation of the early game.

That’s why I started the DLCs in an almost naked state (so like DM minus the collar). OWB in particular was challenging (enough for me to ease the saving rules), but overall it was a lot of fun and more doable than I was expecting. It forced me to use weapons I’d usually never even bother picking up.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 8, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

It's interesting - I used to think that what I wanted was very hard difficulty, but I've come to realize that what I really want is to avoid very easy difficulty, which isn't necessarily hard difficulty.

The Witcher 3 is a good benchmark for me - had 2 abortive 20 hour or so runs where the game got ridiculously easy by level 10-12. The second run was on Death March. So easy that even though I was engrossed in story, characters, world I just lost interest in playing. The Ghost Mode mod fixed all of my issues and then some and I played 100s of hours with it - but I didn't play on Death March, but rather started on Normal and then moved up a notch to Blood and Bones or whatever the notch up is called.

jsawyer + Economy Overhaul feels good right now. There's the -10% xp from Skilled slowing down xp gain, but I think I'll probably up that to 20% for an overall 25% slower leveling by level 10-15 if needed. Beyond that I def don't want to go to very hard because it drops damage to enemies to 50% and that's spongy, but will probably look at adding a multiplier to enemy damage done to me to compensate for increasing toughness if needed. That worked well in some other games - make yourself more glassy instead of making enemies spongier.

I'd rather not drop gear to increase challenge though I like your idea of doing it for a DLC, which is kind of self-contained.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i took skilled as well (xp gain was fine until i started completing bigger quests, but it's not much too fast). and i'm also playing on hard.

i'm using the Survival Mode toggle in JSUE: i deal 1.5x more damage, enemies deal 2x more damage. it feels fairly fair.

e:but i should mention i play without enemy compass markers, making playing a sneak sniper quite a bit harder cause often it'll be the enemies that catch you by surprise, not vice versa

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 8, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

You mentioned that JSUE survival mode and I'd forgotten. Will turn that on, sounds perfect.

I'm using oHUD and don't have the compass active in combat either. The locational sound in this engine isn't the greatest, sadly. Got jumped by a pack of geckos on the way to Sloan and I didn't hear poo poo until the sound of the attack.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I use the compass, I just turned off enemy pips with Stewie's.

It does kind of make Perception pointless outside of perks, though. I'm running a mod that makes Perception affect your VATS aim, but it feels poorly calibrated because the percentages seem lower than I'd expect from vanilla despite having high Perception, and there's little consistency. Stuff that should be a sure shot isn't, and vice versa. (That said, making VATS bit less of a win button isn't that bad).

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Doesn't Ed-E also make Perception useless? I have it at 6 for Better Criticals and that's it.

The JSUE bLowerXPRewards option is pretty neat - it moves the XP away from killing and other common actions but leaves quest XP alone. It's a sliding scale - compare the original at https://geckwiki.com/index.php/Experience_Settings to the script values in the mod:

code:
	; -------------------- Lower XP Rewards -------------------- \/
	if eval (Call NVJSawyerFnINIOptionCheckBool, "STATS:bLowerXPRewards")
		SetNumericGameSetting "iMineDisarmExperience", 1
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardDiscoverMapMarker", 5
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardDiscoverSecretArea", 5
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardSpeechChallengeVeryEasy", 5
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardSpeechChallengeEasy", 10
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardSpeechChallengeAverage", 15
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardSpeechChallengeHard", 20
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardSpeechChallengeVeryHard", 25
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardPickLock", 5
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardPickLockVeryEasy", 5
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardPickLockEasy", 10
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardPickLockAverage", 15
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardPickLockHard", 20
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardPickLockVeryHard", 25
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardHackComputer", 5
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardHackComputerVeryEasy", 5
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardHackComputerEasy", 10
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardHackComputerAverage", 15
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardHackComputerHard", 20
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardHackComputerVeryHard", 25
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardKillNPCVeryEasy", 5
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardKillNPCEasy", 10
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardKillNPCAverage", 15
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardKillNPCHard", 20
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardKillNPCVeryHard", 30
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardKillOpponent", 10
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardKillOpponentVeryEasy", 1
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardKillOpponentEasy", 5
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardKillOpponentAverage", 10
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardKillOpponentHard", 15
		SetNumericGameSetting "iXPRewardKillOpponentVeryHard", 20
		DebugPrint "JSawyer Ultimate: Lower XP rewards enabled"
	endif

v1ld posted:

Would have been good to have some recipes for grilling meat that didn't require another ingredient but delivered say half the nutrition of the steak recipes. Would motivate me to go hunt some geckos, but right now I drop off the meat at the gas station in the hope I'll get the other ingredients some day.

These recipe changes were coming from Push's tweaks esp for jsawyer which I've disabled.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I might have to let Vulpes walk out of Nipton alive for the first time ever, will know when I get there tonight. This is a sad state of affairs and if so I'm going to turn off JSUE's bLowerXPRewards until I get to level 12-16 or so I think.

That option works a bit too well in that I spent a long time at level 3 because it was all exploration and combat with not much quest completion, which is where the goodies are. Level 4 was faster to get through because I completed a few quests in that time. But I've just made level 5 after doing all the quests before Nipton - other than I Fought the Law.

Some of the fights have been pretty hard with the survival mode damage tweak, the focus on the player tweak, Light Touch light armor, and jsawyer active. Eddie at the NCRCF was no picnic - barely survived after dumping all but 17 of my EC ammo, chewing through most of my healing and getting a crippled head in the process. Don't think I would've survived if not for letting Ed-E go into the main room while I stayed in Horrigan's room and took out a few at a time. Grateful to the designer who put a couple of doctor's bags in Horrigan's room. Game feels tough but fair.

I've also been dumping my points into Science and Barter to get them to 70 early on for perks, so Energy Weapons is in the low 30s so that's not helping either.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

v1ld posted:

I might have to let Vulpes walk out of Nipton alive for the first time ever, will know when I get there tonight.

I didn't even bother trying.

v1ld posted:

I've also been dumping my points into Science and Barter to get them to 70 early on for perks, so Energy Weapons is in the low 30s so that's not helping either.

Similarly, I went for Pack Rat as soon as it was available

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

v1ld posted:

I might have to let Vulpes walk out of Nipton alive for the first time ever, will know when I get there tonight. This is a sad state of affairs and if so I'm going to turn off JSUE's bLowerXPRewards until I get to level 12-16 or so I think.

Skip Nipton entirely so that you get extra dialogue from him when you go back to kill him later.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Zeron posted:

Skip Nipton entirely so that you get extra dialogue from him when you go back to kill him later.

Huh, never thought of that option. Does he stick around Nipton forever if you don't engage? The thought of going maximum overkill with late game weapons on him is pretty tempting.

Rinkles posted:

Similarly, I went for Pack Rat as soon as it was available

That is such a useful perk. Vigilant Recycler is the reason for all the Science points. One nice side effect is that between earlier Repair 45 for Light Touch and those two perks I've had to skip Speech and Lockpick - it's good because I always play through with those two otherwise.

Here's that build spreadsheet, which I think is pretty neat. First my possible perk selection order. It's not locked down, may change stuff around as I play but it's nice to have.

Feedback appreciated. Playing a light armor, energy weapons only character. Think I'll skip Them's Good Eating actually, given jsawyer nerfs it and it's not that necessary. Adding some chem abuse to this char is interesting too, I never use them.

May skip Jury Rigging too given that Economy Overhaul drops repair prices to more bearable levels.

SPECIAL and Skills. I like that it lets me input desired totals and then lets me see how many skill points I'll have after factoring perks, implants (even lets you specify the level you'll take the INT implant at), and books into account.

Here's a link to my copy if you want to play around with it on google sheets.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 9, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Stash Organizer lets you add configurable auto-sorting and retrieval of inventory to any cell and arbitrary containers. Has a bunch of other features. Looks more flexible and powerful than Sortomatic, made possible by the new NVSE plugins that extend scripting.

Means I can use Mobile Truck Base Remastered instead of the original just to get Sortomatic (and the Crate Truck version, oh well).

Stash Organizer is by the same person as Unfound Loot. They seem to be very active right now on a bunch of cool mods, none of which seem to be on the Nexus anymore: https://eddoursul.win/mods/

E: There are some very cool mods up there, including a modern and standalone version of Project Nevada's Cyberware module. Going to add a bunch of these mods to my playthrough.

Also, neat tutorial on running scripts using the JIP LN NVSE plugin. Much easier to maintain these as text files instead of mucking around with an esp. https://eddoursul.win/jip-ln-nvse-script-runner-introduction/

v1ld fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 10, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone else occasionally get their load order completely hosed up by MO2? Every so often it'll resort itself in a seemingly random order (.esms included). I'm assuming it's my fault somehow, but I can't figure out what's causing it.

It's not that big a deal now that I back up my load order every time I add something, but sometimes I forget to.

e:separate question, since I'm already trying to troubleshoot: I'm guessing I get lag when drinking a sarsaparilla because I have so many bottle caps (~40k on me)?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Anyone else occasionally get their load order completely hosed up by MO2? Every so often it'll resort itself in a seemingly random order (.esms included). I'm assuming it's my fault somehow, but I can't figure out what's causing it.

It's not that big a deal now that I back up my load order every time I add something, but sometimes I forget to.

e:separate question, since I'm already trying to troubleshoot: I'm guessing I get lag when drinking a sarsaparilla because I have so many bottle caps (~40k on me)?

It's a bug related to MO making loadorder.txt read-only. Sometimes after a reboot MO will have broken permissions and won't be able to edit the file so it'll default to alphabetical order. You can fix it by setting MO to always run in administrator mode, though you'll get the annoying prompt. I personally just make sure to backup my loadorder.txt, it'll be the one in your profile folder. You can open it in explorer from a dropdown in the profile select or just find it in ./modorganiser/profiles

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I kinda wish someone would redo real time settler now that there are so many nvse updates. It’s interesting but the last update was 2011 so it’s extremely wonky

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Found while looking for improved ED-E textures that don't jazz up the old dude quite so much: Fake Plastic Trees ED-E

quote:

Who wants a beat up R2D2 wanna be reject when you can have a hot, sexy, tail-kickin' female companion? Ok, so her personality ain't so hot, more like Rain Man. Features: Female android form. Expanded dialogue, Customizable hair. Remote control. Options to remove companion limits and set essential flags for your party. (Not for the prude.)

Was not uploaded on April 1st, I checked.

E: Current thread title is great, but "Who wants a beat up R2D2 wanna be reject when you can have a hot, sexy, tail-kickin' female companion?" gets the same point across in a tits on a molerat kind of way.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 12, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks for the sorting tip, btw. That was me on the Universal Sorter page

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Oh cool, that's neat.

I modified the script to sort the Aid tab differently if you're using iMode=2. New ordering is Books, Aid, Food, Drinks, Utilities, Chems, Magazines, Poisons. I was getting tired of scrolling past Chems and Magazines. Let me know if you'd like that change.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sure that sounds better, thanks. Though I’d personally probably put drinks above food, cause there aren’t that many drinks, and you’re likely to be looking for h20 more often than food.

(But like you said, multiple of tildes in the ini should work just as well, right?)

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Well, that part of the script is hardcoded but I'll make that change and upload it later today, it makes sense.

Thought of having the order be configurable in the ini, but it's a bunch of work given how annoyingly tedious the scripting environment still is after all the magic done by JIP and others, so I'm gonna pass.

It's really cool you independently found the same cool sorting trick as PTWB.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I was experimenting with how the mod/game ordered prefixes (I think it uses standard ASCII sort order, where tilde is last), when I noticed the tilde just didn’t appear.

I really appreciate how customizable most of PTWB’s mods are.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Universal Item Sorter.esp with sort order: Books, Aid, Drinks, Food, Utilities, Chems, Magazines, Poisons. This is only useful for iMode=2 - which in turn only sorts the Aid and Misc tabs. It'll only take effect on the second time you open the inventory and a bit of delay after game restart.

Looks like so:

You can tell Boone likes it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Neat. Do think it's possible we'll ever get nested grouped menus like we got in FO4 mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

TL;DR: it's possible, but possibly messy.

Left this comment in the Universal Item Sorter page for what is basically the same feature:

quote:

Question: would it be possible to have the category separators be toggles that hide the elements in that category when clicked? That would allow for an accordion hide/show UI in the pip boy. Would be very useful for the Aid/Misc tabs in particular.

To give an example, let's say Chems currently has:
[===[Chems]===]
Buffout
Med-X (2)
Radaway (4)

Clicking the [===[Chems]===] would then make it look like:
[+++[Chems]+++]

All the items are still there, just not visible. Clicking the [+++[Chems]+++] would restore the earlier view.

To get the FO4 variant, add a total count of what was hidden in the summary line.

It's possible for sure, but how much work to get right depends on if it's possible to leave an item in the inventory while hiding it from display in the Pip-Boy. Or at least the way I'm thinking about it.

If we can mark an item as hidden then it becomes simple to implement and keep correct - just mark all the items in a section as hidden when the header is clicked. This works because it's still in inventory and features that rely on the item being there will continue to work - for example if you bind a Stimpack to a key or you use a mod that auto-injects a stimpack or whatever - the stimpack is still there, just doesn't show in inventory.

The other method is to remove the item from the inventory, but to keep track of what you pulled out. The problem with this is it will confuse code that expects inventory items to, you know, be in the inventory. Found this Quest Item Hider mod when looking around and it has to jump through some hoops to do what it wants to do. The other concern is that a bug or weird mod interaction here can screw up the user's inventory because you're actually removing items from it, even if temporarily.

Actually, strikes me as I write this there's an intermediate ground: you take out the items but only while the pip-boy is open. So:
- Keep track of which sections should be hidden
- When player opens Pipboy, insert section headers, sort items, remove all items belonging to hidden sections
- When player exits, remove section headers, restore all items to inventory

Well, it's a bit more complicated than that. You'd have to capture item lists every time the player hides a section since they could have opened a section and consumed an item or two while it was open then again hidden that section.

I dunno all that bookkeeping may have ugly corner cases[*] to deal with and a bug here can lose player items. This would be much easier if there was a way to leave an item in the inventory, but mark it as not for display in the Pip-Boy, but I don't know if that's possible which is why I dropped that comment in the hope PTWB would opine.

[*] The PF:K Custom Map Markers mod I did was all fun and games until I added support for the player having multiple characters - game allows you to keep multiple play throughs going in parallel - and then it became a torturous mess of trying to figure out all the ways the game will let you switch or create characters. No fun. Someone dropped me a courtesy message about porting it forward to PF:WotR and all I could say was I hope they cleaned up the save handling.

E: To get the FO4 UI, you would have to:
- Collapse certain sections by default every time you enter the Pip-Boy
- Clicking on those same sections would expand them but hide every other section, simulating opening just that section
- Exiting would go back to the original view, etc.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 12, 2021