Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Someone saying "Here's a trick to grind real fast" doesn't mean grinding is mandatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean I played the game myself, I never needed to grind etc etc, I was just saying that "the game tells you how to grind efficiently" is not the hearty defense it seemed to be used as.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

the game running like rear end also didn't help for me. I played docked and the menus had lag and the time to enter battle was a bit longer than I would like. PC port I would hope fixes that at least.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I sorta wish new jobs in BD would come with a few levels already done so you get a few tools for the job and dont have to go through that new job period of weakness.

BD2 should have still included the no-encounters and xp gain adjustments from the other two.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I dunno how Bravely Default 2 handles job strength, but Bravely Second lowered job level's impact on damage. BD1 basically had it so that job level had a huge impact on your hit count,which was a major part of your damage per turn since damage is just [(Attack - Defense) * Hit Count * Ability Power], which made swapping from a level 9 to a level 1 job a big decrease in damage. It's not entirely gone in Second but its impact is a lot lesser, to the point where they outright say ingame not to worry about that penalty anymore.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's not exactly the same but Valkyrie Profile 2 is similar in terms of positioning and combat flow. Same team, IIRC.

It's not really the same but I did also really like Indivisible.
Unfortunately Valkyrie Profile 2 doesn't really emulate well.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I really regretted playing BD2 myself. Quarantine provided me with a lot of good will to play it and I was exhausted by the end. The story was so dreadful with conclusions that range from infuriating to unrewarding.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Srice posted:

wrt the counters in Bravely Default 2, eventually the bosses just start countering upon taking any damage so it's just something to plan around. Some of the late game counters get wild, like a chance to gain +1 BP each time they take damage so I'd just play under the assumption that they could at any time spend all their BP to try to dunk on me.

Also by the time counters become a problem you also have access to Godspeed Strike and the means to use it to create a boss blender.

BD2's best way to level jobs being the beach at the start of the game was pretty weird too. Sure you can do well in later parts of the game but chaining half a dozen mobs + a bait item with JP UP passives was just crazy powerful.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Clarste posted:

You literally just recommended going to a beach and grinding for 10 minutes. Am I being gaslighted?

I said if necessary, which it isn't. I only used it once when I unlocked an awesome class I wanted the synergies for asap. I was able to max it out in under 10 minutes. It isn't a huge investment in a 50 hour RPG.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I still haven't played BD2 but "grinding isn't necessary but the game shows you an easy way to do it if you want" seems like a pretty good place for it to be and I genuinely don't know why this convo got so heated

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Libluini posted:

Re: Arcanum

I don't think I could ever kick Virgil out of my party even in playthroughs where I use Jayna, he's a bro :(

That said though if you're playing tech ranged and he's your only melee party member I can absolutely understand the impulse. If you have other melee fighters on board (eg Sogg or Gar) he's great for keeping them on their feet even if he can't heal you specifically, but without people to heal he just takes up space.

Sounds like you're doing great, though! I'd just recommend getting the dog ASAP, you seem like you could use some bitey help

my dad posted:

Oh, and IIRC the pyrotechnic axe doesn't take damage from things that normally damage weapons, and is really easy to craft if you find the schematic. Excellent weapon to use and give to your non-magical party members and can easily take you to the endgame.

confirming that this axe owns

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Watching a streamer play Xenogears for the first time and I forgot how heavy the game gets really early on.

And how much I hated Dan.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

anakha posted:

Watching a streamer play Xenogears for the first time and I forgot how heavy the game gets really early on.

And how much I hated Dan.

It was the only game I played for an entire summer and I'm still blown away by the scope of the narrative

Also yes Dan's totally a little poo poo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dan rules for the bit where he gets so angry at fei that he fights to the upper levels of a battle tournament just to throw his dead sister's wedding dress at him, which you then are able to equip as armor in combat

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Xenogears remains one of my favorite RPGs, despite its jank, cut content and nonsensical plot beats.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yo, fellow NIS fans, they just announced a second collection of games for PC/Switch, Makai Kingdom and Zettai Hero Project: Unlosing Ranger vs Darkdeath Asura:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKBBIeFVPS0

Not as hype as Soul Nomad which was never touched portwise ever but still neat that it’s looking like all of NIS’s old non-Disgaea games aren’t gonna be locked to ten year old consoles at this rate. And maybe they’ll make a remaster of DD2, that’d be nice…

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That's the untranslated PSP version of Makai Kingdom! And ZHP is probably still excellent, too.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that part. Also I’m pretty excited cause ZHP is pretty much next to Prinny 1 for favorite NIS titles, even if slightly understanding or engaging with its mechanics breaks it to pieces.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Gog.com has a poo poo ton of JRPGs on sale right now, including it looks like all the legend of heroes games that they have.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://twitter.com/oniongames/status/1435658187114483715

* also Steam

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

So I got to the end of Romancing Saga 3 on the switch and I guess this final boss is just stupidly, insanely hard? I guess I should have abusing magic like I did in RS 2 because I just dont see how this is remotely doable. At some point the boss just starts spamming super strong aoe spells and I cant even abuse commander mode anymore because the final battle forces this weird hosed up hybrid on you that allows you to choose your techs but doesnt give you the free regen

So yeah I dont think im finishing this one

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I hope they release Xuan Yuan 7 on Xbox, after Xuan Yuan 6 Im jonesing for another mechanically deficient game with a narrative that consists entirely of swerves on your expectations.

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

babypolis posted:

So I got to the end of Romancing Saga 3 on the switch and I guess this final boss is just stupidly, insanely hard? I guess I should have abusing magic like I did in RS 2 because I just dont see how this is remotely doable. At some point the boss just starts spamming super strong aoe spells and I cant even abuse commander mode anymore because the final battle forces this weird hosed up hybrid on you that allows you to choose your techs but doesnt give you the free regen

The final boss is really hard, did you take care of the other four demon lords in the abyss?, it makes the fight a lot more doable.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

BrokenLink posted:

The final boss is really hard, did you take care of the other four demon lords in the abyss?, it makes the fight a lot more doable.

Yeah I did, but I kinda had to abuse commander mode to beat some of them, and now Im just completely lost without the free regen

I get to the point where it does the Eclipse thing and turns into something else, and die to Abyss Wind spam. If I understand the final boss correctly at that point it still has like 75k hp left so I just dont see how thats even doable when im dying in 3 turns

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

babypolis posted:

RS2 and RS3 have pretty brutal bosses, yeah. You really need to have well built teams for those games unlike FF where you can smash through it with levels or a bit of buffing. Magic helps but it's not going to be a win button even if you used it heavily (IIRC).

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

babypolis posted:

The formation you use makes a big difference. Tiger's Ferocity will cut most of the damage you take in half. Most folx tend to swear by Phoenix Rising. If regen is important to your strategy there's also Genbu Formation, but I always fall back on Tiger's Ferocity for boss fights and it never fails me.

Staves of Vitality can be broken for full-party heals if need be. Your best bet for magic is Fire and Lunar (for Reviver and Shadow Servant, respectively), if you decide to go that route.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I'm rolling deeper through Arcanum, solving people's problems one bullet at a time. Gun Gal now has a dwarf in addition to a herbal lady, thanks to my last level-up finally solving my own problem: That my Bandit-character only had a Charisma of menacingly-waves-gun-in-your-face, which turns out is only good for intimidating one person into following you. Now it's two!

To get doggi to join me I now have to carefully boost my Charisma each level-up, but having three instead of two people in a battle has already payed off when some dude in Tarant wanted us to clear out his warehouse from rats, not mentioning that half the rats were of the semi-humanoid monster variant. Also, there was a ton of them. 50 bullets later, we prevailed, mostly thanks to most of the tiny rats blocking the big ones from getting into striking distance.

After spending most of my IRL-afternoon just touring Tarant (cities in Arcanum are loving huge), I also stumbled into a genuine newspaper office and just had to see this. So, to explain what happened next, Arcanum starts with this huge cinematic of Orc-pilots shooting down the Zeppelin you are traveling on with their machine guns (yes, really). You the player are the only survivor, but normally thanks to RPG-type story shenanigans, it's a bad idea to tell people you were part of this mess and managed to walk the Fantasy Hindenburg Disaster off like an action hero

But as I'm roleplaying a Bandit, I thought it hilarious to (after saving, of course) tell everyone this awesome story in the many bars I'm visiting, often getting payed with drinks (or gruesomely murdered when I talk to the wrong person, Arcanum is that kind of RPG)

So, obviously the first thing my character does is telling Newspaper McGuy about her involvement in the grisly wreck of a technological marvel. And McGuy flips his poo poo and bombards her with questions, trying to shove down a huge sum of money through her throat, and she loves it! I answer all questions, and after the huge payday, walk away with some secondary minor job for additional pay. And after getting the big pay out, Ms. Ex-Bandit will even do the honest thing and not steal the money involved in this second job!

Man, I love this game! Lots of walking, but when the game gets going, it gets loving going. This was the first time a game actually acknowledges its huge intro cinematic up to the point where I can just go around get payed telling the local newspaper about my adventures in cutscene land, how awesome is that? :allears:

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Barudak posted:

I hope they release Xuan Yuan 7 on Xbox, after Xuan Yuan 6 Im jonesing for another mechanically deficient game with a narrative that consists entirely of swerves on your expectations.

I don't think I've heard of that before... are you talking about this: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1249800/XuanYuan_Sword_VII/?curator_clanid=34975675

From what limited research I've done, it seems like "Xuan Yuan" and "Xuan Yuan Sword" may be different series. After Gujian 3 turned out to be pretty cool, I'm definitely willing to give another Chinese ARPG a shot.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Libluini posted:

To get doggi to join me I now have to carefully boost my Charisma each level-up, but having three instead of two people in a battle has already payed off when some dude in Tarant wanted us to clear out his warehouse from rats, not mentioning that half the rats were of the semi-humanoid monster variant.

I think dog doesn't count toward follower limit governed by charisma. It's a good dog so you get him for free.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

avoraciopoctules posted:

I don't think I've heard of that before... are you talking about this: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1249800/XuanYuan_Sword_VII/?curator_clanid=34975675

From what limited research I've done, it seems like "Xuan Yuan" and "Xuan Yuan Sword" may be different series. After Gujian 3 turned out to be pretty cool, I'm definitely willing to give another Chinese ARPG a shot.

Xuan Yuan Sword: Gate of the Firmament is the last one I played and is juuuuust sort of barely an ARPG. Its full of tons of jank and problems, like the entire sidequest system being impenetrable, but it has a charmingly cynical narrative outcome for every point along the way and felt refreshingly honest without grimdark.

Somewhere in this thread you can find my commentary on it if you want more details

Its a very bad "game" though, but I look back on it fondly

Barudak fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 10, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

sad question posted:

I think dog doesn't count toward follower limit governed by charisma. It's a good dog so you get him for free.

Hey, sweet! I guess Ashbury is next, then. :v:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Barudak posted:

Xuan Yuan Sword: Gate of the Firmament is the last one I played and is juuuuust sort of barely an ARPG. Its full of tons of jank and problems, like the entire sidequest system being impenetrable, but it has a charmingly cynical narrative outcome for every point along the way and felt refreshingly honest without grimdark.

Somewhere in this thread you can find my commentary on it if you want more details

Its a very bad "game" though, but I look back on it fondly
having played a few hours of gate of firmament i thought the combat was still turn based just up-tempo but maybe i'm misremembering

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Levantine posted:

I dug into Ryza 2 after beating the first and it's overall such an improvement on the first it's hard to believe it came out as quickly as it did. There were times I thought "this could be better/improved" while playing the first game and the second one immediately answers like, all of them. You get to your first battle so quickly (I guess) in an effort to show off how much smoother and better integrated all your skills are into the flow of it. I always felt like an auto-attack bot in the first game just beelining to Tactics Lv 5. Ryza 2 wants you to use your skills right away to build up CC to use items. It even has a timed guard mechanic which I dig. I almost immediately changed to Hard though, since the early enemies melt so fast you really never get a chance to get your tools out otherwise.

Alchemy feels better too. Quality seems purely additive now? If you add a low quality item to a high quality total, it just adds that to the total rather than averaging it like every other game in the series. Still figuring out the unlock system but with the return of bounties or whatever it seems like SP is pouring in to do so. Feels like it's going to take some time to unfold the alchemy tricks but it feels really user friendly up front.

The main city being a big metropolis style hub is an interesting change too. Kurken Island felt really remote and now even moreso given how busy the capital is. It looks really amazing after it rains on the PS5. The water reflections are kind of amazing in this game.

Ryza 2's brick loft homebase produces a kinda magitech aesthetic that's just the perfect vibe to me.
Just alchemy things - sipping tea with my besties, petting my mysterious hellbeast, going out shopping, and then warping the laws of nature in my big pot until I produce a staff that trivialises the final boss in a couple bonks.

My only complaint: the field in Ryza 2 is a couple taps away, whereas in Ryza 1 in was right outside.
...Ryza 3 better give her a greenhouse! Sipping tea in my greenhouse, surrounded by glowing flowers and living crystals I've cultivated from my adventures across the world, would be the ultimate alchemy aesthetic.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Lunar Suite posted:

Ryza 2's brick loft homebase produces a kinda magitech aesthetic that's just the perfect vibe to me.
Just alchemy things - sipping tea with my besties, petting my mysterious hellbeast, going out shopping, and then warping the laws of nature in my big pot until I produce a staff that trivialises the final boss in a couple bonks.

My only complaint: the field in Ryza 2 is a couple taps away, whereas in Ryza 1 in was right outside.
...Ryza 3 better give her a greenhouse! Sipping tea in my greenhouse, surrounded by glowing flowers and living crystals I've cultivated from my adventures across the world, would be the ultimate alchemy aesthetic.

Speaking of trivializing bosses, Ryza 2 feels like the easiest entry to do so. I had 999 items with Element Spread +3 after the fire dungeon and was able to make really high stat gear up to Goldterion that made me unstoppable, even on Hard. The game feels built around convenience, which is nice. I keep farming those same 5 trees in the Water dungeon for gems and duplicating those crystal elements and experimenting with how far I can push crafting. I'm already growing S rank 999 seeds and I haven't even progressed to the next ruin.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ok, finished a playthrough of Arcanum in record time, due to (a) already knowing how to do everything, and (b) WFH allowing me to play while waiting on other people to do poo poo during my work day :v:. Thoughts, in order:

(a) Game holds up, still my favorite hidden gem
(b) Technologist path still holds up, especially if you max out Mechanical and Herbology so you can make healer robots to follow you around and heal you for free, and get all the Vendigroth schematics you can on Isle of Despair (and in the final dungeon before endgame)
(c) Blacksmithing is the most OP tech specialty if you're playing right and have a full party of melee bruisers who you can then outfit with awesome weapons and armor, especially if you combine it with Mechanical and build robots
(d) Being a half-orc sucks; there isn't much flavor to it other than marauder orcs leaving you alone (meh) and everyone in the game being default super racist at you unless you dress up fancy when you talk to them (shockingly, it turns out this loving sucks). Multiple times I got a quest from someone, went and did it, and forgot to put my Smoking Jacket back on when trying to get my quest rewards, so I had to spend a few dialogue trees trying to convince them to not suddenly become racist against me just because I was wearing chainmail now when I hadn't been before. Not recommended!

I think I'm gonna do another playthrough, this time as a melee/thief halfling or gnome, because that sounds super fun. Finding small-size armor when I can't craft my own is not something I'm looking forward to, though!

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Levantine posted:

Speaking of trivializing bosses, Ryza 2 feels like the easiest entry to do so. I had 999 items with Element Spread +3 after the fire dungeon and was able to make really high stat gear up to Goldterion that made me unstoppable, even on Hard. The game feels built around convenience, which is nice. I keep farming those same 5 trees in the Water dungeon for gems and duplicating those crystal elements and experimenting with how far I can push crafting. I'm already growing S rank 999 seeds and I haven't even progressed to the next ruin.

Yeah the upper floor of the water dungeon had the largest number of harvest nodes over the smallest space. Later dungeons don’t ever give higher gems per item iirc.
I went back to the final boss on the highest difficulty and still barely struggled because I made truly insane weapons and armour (and this time you can duplicate armour and accessories, which earlier games didn’t allow.)

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elephant Parade posted:

they did it because it's funny and the confusion can be resolved in three seconds by googling "bravely default release order"

I'll take your word for it on the first one, but since there's a billion other games to play I just never bothered. :effort;

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean very few people are going to google anything like that so you aren’t alone

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheMightyBoops posted:

Death End Request was good enough that it has become the first Compile Heart game I’ve ever finished. There was only a couple scenes I cringed at, and the combat gets hilarious when you get the first summon which adds a bonus to your knock back and the game will start freaking out as enemies and bosses begin pin balling all over the place with wild abandon.

I played it on the Switch and while it did chug a bit the game looked and ran ok, especially for a B tier rpg ported by a pretty small company. I don’t know that I could ever recommend this game to anyone, because you sort of have to go in with the right expectations, but I liked it. I’ll definitely play 2 when it gets ported to the switch.

Also the story is pretty compelling, and over the top, but I think it may be better to go into that bit blind if you wanna give it a try.

I think my biggest complaint about the second thatbdoesnt apply to the first is (moderate spoiler for part way in) is that they tried to connect it to the first game directly but for some people that might be a plus.

isk posted:

It was the only game I played for an entire summer and I'm still blown away by the scope of the narrative

Also yes Dan's totally a little poo poo

He looks like a tiny middle age man.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Lunar Suite posted:

Yeah the upper floor of the water dungeon had the largest number of harvest nodes over the smallest space. Later dungeons don’t ever give higher gems per item iirc.
I went back to the final boss on the highest difficulty and still barely struggled because I made truly insane weapons and armour (and this time you can duplicate armour and accessories, which earlier games didn’t allow.)

I found a trick with Poison cubes and Taboo Drops. Basically I made Poison Cube with +3 Quantity and Crystal Elements with +3 Spread Effect. I make Taboo Drops using one black water, one crystal and shove the rest of the cubes into it until it's done. It makes 26 drops which you can disassemble for about 120k gems each go round. Duping cubes is only 2500 each so you can easily max out your count and do a few rounds for half a million gems in about a minute.

I love finding ways to break the game.

What do you recommend on weapons and armor btw? I haven't really messed with traits for any reason yet because I haven't had to.