Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cease to Hope posted:

Yeah I can't imagine the colorblindness nonsense reflected on him well.

That wasn't McLean. Ethan Larson was the one who stuck his foot in his mouth. Larson is also much higher up than McLean was. Larson's the lead programmer so a lot of the game's issues could well be his fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I wonder if they have Old Laurie and Old Michael skins coinciding with the sequel coming out.

edit: They need an old lady to compliment Bill anyways.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Halloween 2018 skins would RULE. GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Watching the '78 original after putting some hours into DBD is a wild trip.

*Lampkin Lane shows up*
"gently caress this janky place"

*The Shape chases Laurie*
"That bitch would be caught by now if it weren't for all the invisible geometry"

*The Shape disappears at the end*
"Entity displease, 0 kills. Wait 5 minutes and it's sequel time baby"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I don't buy skins in this game because the cost of them is insane, but I would shell out immediately for a Michael bedsheet ghost skin

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
They announce a new Jamie Lee Curtis inspired skin. It's Helen from True Lies.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Running around in high heels and a 2" skirt with random trip animations triggering every 5-10 seconds.

The OG Halloween is still very very very good. I am surprised how awesome it is still.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 9, 2021

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
So is hellraiser good

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kevin DuBrow posted:

So is hellraiser good

The first two are but after that no!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kevin DuBrow posted:

So is hellraiser good

Pinhead is pretty drat strong, but kinda hard to use.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

He seems very easy to counter if the other team knows what they're doing, and will gently caress sideways any team that thinks they can ignore the box and slam gens. You can't

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hoarder works on the box

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

He seems very easy to counter if the other team knows what they're doing, and will gently caress sideways any team that thinks they can ignore the box and slam gens. You can't

He's a really strong chaser in short loops too, and yeah his box gimmick is pretty nasty passive map pressure. Being able to check gens at a distance with portals is also powerful.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
e: double post

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Medullah posted:

The first two are but after that no!

I thought Hellseeker was pretty good. It's a nice Jacob's Ladder type of mindfuck horror, rather than a straight-up Hellraiser ripping your skin off horror.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i like the hellraiser movie that's almost entirely about an mmo based on hellraiser. movie's bad but in a way thats incredibly fun

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mix. posted:

i like the hellraiser movie that's almost entirely about an mmo based on hellraiser. movie's bad but in a way thats incredibly fun

I just want a skin of fat Pinhead from the latest movie.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Wendys will do that to anyone.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Medullah posted:

I just want a skin of fat Pinhead from the latest movie.

Always remember that they called this guy "Badass Pinhead" to try and set him apart from the I guess not badass, super cool Doug Bradley Pinhead.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Speaking of Halloween...
I DON'T HAVE TO GO TO A THEATER TO SEE HALLOWEEN KILLS :woop:

https://twitter.com/halloweenmovie/status/1436071139969753092

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, I would've been fine making an exception to see HKillO in the theaters, but if they're giving me that option I guess I'll take it.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I'm kinda sad that the new hex is a huge nonbo with Legion because it's really fun, but Oblivious literally makes them immune to your Frenzy senses so its actively handicapping yourself to use stuff with it

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I haven't been to the theater but I am thinking about the drive-in, for Halloween Kills. It'd be a drive, but it would be cool.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

The Berzerker posted:

I haven't been to the theater but I am thinking about the drive-in, for Halloween Kills. It'd be a drive, but it would be cool.

ooooooohhh... I like that idea.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I cruised from bronze 4 to bronze 1 over the course of 1 day. I'm a poo poo terrible survivor, when am i going to hit a wall? Or is the rank just like time invested in playing.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

canada jezus posted:

I cruised from bronze 4 to bronze 1 over the course of 1 day. I'm a poo poo terrible survivor, when am i going to hit a wall? Or is the rank just like time invested in playing.

New ranks don't mean anything anymore. They're kinda just a personal climb that gets reset each month and gives you bonus BP for how high you climbed. Your real rank is a new hidden SBMM system so in theory you should always be playing against people at your skill level.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

New ranks don't mean anything anymore. They're kinda just a personal climb that gets reset each month and gives you bonus BP for how high you climbed. Your real rank is a new hidden SBMM system so in theory you should always be playing against people at your skill level.

Weeeeird. I've been finding fun games mostly so that's good. How will i know if i have "gotten gud" now though?

Scrum
Dec 12, 2003

All I got for Christmas was this shitty custom title.

canada jezus posted:

Weeeeird. I've been finding fun games mostly so that's good. How will i know if i have "gotten gud" now though?

When you stop fearing the killer and see them as a source of boldness points.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
yeah, when you no longer feel like its no longer a game of hide-and-seek while praying the killer doesn't find you is when you've started to get a lot better.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

yeah, when you no longer feel like its no longer a game of hide-and-seek while praying the killer doesn't find you is when you've started to get a lot better.

I've been playing for a few months now and had a friend join last month, it's been fun watching him go from "Holy poo poo I think I hear a heartbeat, better go crouch in this area with no gens for an hour" to "Well, the killer is 10 feet from me but I think I can finish this gen".

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The game gets a lot less scary once you realize it's so incredibly survivor sided that getting hit will hand you a series of cascading advantages to make sure you don't get hit again. This is my way of saying I really miss Friday the 13th

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

poo poo i'm way past scared of the killer. Can't consistently win chases though. It helps if i bring sprint burst or dead hard. But it's rare i'm the best at chases on the team. Usually when i run circles around a killer, they've had such a bad game we have to cheer them up in post game chat.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

DeathChicken posted:

The game gets a lot less scary once you realize it's so incredibly survivor sided that getting hit will hand you a series of cascading advantages to make sure you don't get hit again. This is my way of saying I really miss Friday the 13th

Some of my favorite F13 moments were when I was getting clowned on by an organized team of bullies, only to start making a comeback and killing them off one by one and them scraping a narrow escape of two or three people, if not a full wipe. In DbD if you get clowned at the start of the match you're basically done, you're not going to have a good time.

If a counselor got even a hint that Jason was within 50 yards of their current location it was time to stop what they were doing and get the gently caress out of there or hide and hope for the best. It was genuinely scary, which is what an asymmetrical horror game should be. I've come around to DbD as a dick-around game when I'm in the mood, but I really miss the chaos of a good F13 match.

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

canada jezus posted:

poo poo i'm way past scared of the killer. Can't consistently win chases though. It helps if i bring sprint burst or dead hard. But it's rare i'm the best at chases on the team. Usually when i run circles around a killer, they've had such a bad game we have to cheer them up in post game chat.

Depending on the situation you're in, you're not guaranteed to win chases, but for the most part there are more ways to win them than to have an exhaustion perk. Bringing Windows of Opportunity can help you with map knowledge and game sense, for one. Once you feel confident and want to trick the killer, bring Iron Will and start hiding in inconspicuous spots during chases.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

Also good to note that your perception of which side this game is biased towards usually stems from which side you play the most.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Also 'winning a chase' doesn't nessicarily mean 'didn't take a hit'. If you run the killer around for a while, let people do gens or cleanse hexes, and/or kite them in the middle of nowhere, before taking a hit, you've also won the chase.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
I'm so tired of matches where 3 or 4 escapes turns into 1 or none because NOED rescued a terrible killer. I can't do gens, rescue hooks, and hunt totems every loving match. No one I end up with in the queue seems to give a gently caress about totems. It kind of makes my game experience a slog. I was talking to a friend, they should split NOED into 2 totems 1 for the speed increase, 1 for the exposed. He suggested that they highlight it to everyone like detectives hunch when you complete the last gen.

I'm just so bored with being the only one giving a gently caress about totems. I WANT to be able to rescue that last man, but why should I invest if I'm just going to get insta-downed and hooked. It's trash.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
My proposed nerf would be 'you get one stack per dull totem you have left when the last generator finishes; you expend one stack on every attack, including missed ones. if you hit while expending a stack it's an instant-down'.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

fool of sound posted:

My proposed nerf would be 'you get one stack per dull totem you have left when the last generator finishes; you expend one stack on every attack, including missed ones. if you hit while expending a stack it's an instant-down'.

That's a good one too. It would certainly help me because sometimes when the last gen pops I'm looking to see if people need help, not looking for the last 1 or 2 totems (I run BT and Detective's Hunch pretty much every time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Most people who run NOED are going to take their one down, camp it and wait for a suicide rush to turn one kill into four. I just open the gate and leave, gently caress it. If someone wants to burn a perk for one guaranteed kill, no skin off my nose