Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Harold Fjord posted:

I reformed my faith for equality and almost immediately died. Now everyone loving hates the new empress. Is this because they're all still in misogynist religions?

If they’re misogynist religions that consider yours hostile or evil, or even fundamentalists that think it is astray and you’re also different culture then yes that will be a pretty big opinion malus. Also short reign penalties will be maxed at this stage.

If you mouse over a characters opinion it will give a breakdown of how it got there.

The two biggest religions in any default game tend to be Catholic and Ash’ari both of which hate women rulers outside their religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’m Norse/Astru and did a Vargarian Adventure for Rome and kicked the Pope out. As a result he instituted crusades. Things are looking fine at the moment but my Catholic neighbours won’t be smaller than me for ever.

I’m going to reform the religion, what’s the easiest way to get Piety? Seems pretty tricky to come by normally.

Also if the pressure gets too much I’ll switch to another culture. Italian is an option currently but are there any others in the region that are better? Italian seems pretty vanilla.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Red_Fred posted:

I’m Norse/Astru and did a Vargarian Adventure for Rome and kicked the Pope out. As a result he instituted crusades. Things are looking fine at the moment but my Catholic neighbours won’t be smaller than me for ever.

I’m going to reform the religion, what’s the easiest way to get Piety? Seems pretty tricky to come by normally.

Also if the pressure gets too much I’ll switch to another culture. Italian is an option currently but are there any others in the region that are better? Italian seems pretty vanilla.

You could always just Dismantle the Papacy once you control the Italia region.

Guzba
Mar 21, 2009
Sicillian is always fun in that area, and suits the Norse. One of the best ways to get piety IMO is to fight other armies when raiding.
You can get a lot per battle, raid with stacks similar in size to the ruler with your better troops to encourage them to come to you.

As for reforming your religion, remember you need to control 3 holy sites I believe - if you're already in the Med it may be hard for you to do.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Yeah if you Varangian Adventure anywhere outside of Scandinavia you won't be able to reform Asatru as you personally need the holy sites. It's expected you eventually convert to a reformed religion because of the penalties, especially when you go feudal

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well I started as Haestein so I was already feudal which is nice. I forgot about the holy sites thing though, drat.

Any other fun religion around Italy? Catholicism seems boring. Assuming you can switch religion with a decision/event similar to culture.

I’ll check out Sicilian culture too, thanks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No, be Lollard Lombards

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Red_Fred posted:

Well I started as Haestein so I was already feudal which is nice. I forgot about the holy sites thing though, drat.

Any other fun religion around Italy? Catholicism seems boring. Assuming you can switch religion with a decision/event similar to culture.

Make sure you take a selection in the Pillage and/or Adventure legacies before you change culture. Those options disappear when you're no longer Norse, but if you take even just the first selection you still have access to the whole line.

Pillage is particularly amazing. Almost every selection is fantastic.

e: it's been a minute since I've played so I just went to review them and I must say they are all fantastic. Every one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Does the "stack heavy cav" rule apply to war elephants

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yes

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

zoux posted:

It especially applies to elephants. Be sure to get all the jungle you can and build those elephant buildings!

Red_Fred posted:

Not an event but if you marry someone of a religion you can switch to their faith, I think for cheap.

And yes Catholics are boring, look for a heretic, although if you're Asatru you'll have a tough time getting a non-pagan to marry you.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
You can also just convert from the religions screen I think

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

albino beautiful genius definitely-not-a-vampire-that-will-lead-a-christian-heresy in Prague playthrough starting

house rules: albinos only, cannibalism might happen, gotta change faiths

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Red_Fred posted:

Raid/Conquer non-Astru and just gleefully murder everyone in prison. 50 faith pp doesn't sound like much until you forget for a small bit, press a button and suddenly get 1k out of it. The Norse pillaging legacy tree has something that spits out prisoners faster, too.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Its a bit weird to do it now since Hybrid cultures are gonna be coming with the next expansion but taking Haesteinn to Sri Lanka or the southern tip of India is another fun campaign since you will be one of the few raiders in that area and can use the rest of the subcontinent as your personal piggy bank. It will be a lot more fun when you can hybridize your culture though.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I really like when a game gets the vibe I am going for

totally okay and normal physician that I recommended, it even has a world of darkness stupid name for a character!

the spider for the coat of arms lmaaooooo

edit: so some complete bullshit about a populist faction made me instantly lose a county, but there is no indication anywhere when and how it happens

dead gay comedy forums fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 10, 2021

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Click on the prompt

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I really like when a game gets the vibe I am going for

totally okay and normal physician that I recommended, it even has a world of darkness stupid name for a character!

the spider for the coat of arms lmaaooooo

edit: so some complete bullshit about a populist faction made me instantly lose a county, but there is no indication anywhere when and how it happens

That's a dev easter egg character, yeah.

And yeah if your liege loses to some kinds of factions you'll lose land. Sucks, I know.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Okay, I'm 41 years old on my third? fourth? generation guy. My first generation created Finland and did not create Sapmi but to my surprise my brother did automatically when the founder died. Oops.

So now 4 generations in I've got the kingdoms of Finland, Norway, Sweden, and Sapmi and I'm at 82/101 territories to create Scandinavia. I'm optimistic I can mop up Estonia and Denmark to create it before I die but I'm very concerned that I'm going to have to start from scratch on those kingdoms if I randomly die. Is the best way to protect all these kingdoms while still tribal confederate partition just to kill all my non-heir kids? Disinherit them?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Paramemetic posted:

Okay, I'm 41 years old on my third? fourth? generation guy. My first generation created Finland and did not create Sapmi but to my surprise my brother did automatically when the founder died. Oops.
Yeah the default succession rights (partition) auto-create any titles you could have created but didn't and distribute them amongst potential heir. Aim for the advanced form of partition then go for better succession rights like elder succession or go to level 4 of crown control to be able to select an heir.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Paramemetic posted:

So now 4 generations in I've got the kingdoms of Finland, Norway, Sweden, and Sapmi and I'm at 82/101 territories to create Scandinavia. I'm optimistic I can mop up Estonia and Denmark to create it before I die but I'm very concerned that I'm going to have to start from scratch on those kingdoms if I randomly die. Is the best way to protect all these kingdoms while still tribal confederate partition just to kill all my non-heir kids? Disinherit them?

Disinherit is a good option too if you have enough renown and not tonnes of kids.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Paramemetic posted:

Disinheriting/killing your kids does work, although one thing to bear in mind is that your heir will likely have the strongest realm on succession (because they get all your MaA and money) and get strong claims on any titles you owned that were inherited by their siblings and split away from the realm, so reforming your territory is not actually that big a deal after a split due to partition. You'll be able to just eat the kingdoms right back up again rather than needing to take them county by county.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

zoux posted:

Yes, they are the best unit in the game in terms of raw stats, and then jungle holdings can build the elephant pens that provide a larger percentage bonus to damage than anything else in the game. And they also give you more+stronger knights.

It's possible late game to get elephants with damage numbers over 1k, backed up by 50+ knights. It should be possible to hit 2k damage on them, but I'm not sure there are enough jungle duchy capitals.

Going for numbers like that is super gimmicky, but in a normal game you can have 500 damage elephants in the early medieval, so even though there are fewer of them in a stack they'll still rampage through everything.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Switched to seniority in Islamic Russian Empire to keep the realm from fracturing on every inheritance (too many sub-empires within the empire). But somehow all the dudes old enough to inherit are complete losers. Via a bunch of stabbing I manage to trim out the ones that are the wrong religion or culture and almost have a close relative with decent stats lined up when I die and play some distant uncle with no skills and no friends and immediately Scandinavia tries to split off so it basically made no difference.

Carpathia and the Baltic Empire seem to be holding steady at least.

Mongols still haven't even glanced my way and are still cleaning up the dozens of Central Asian microstates.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Ah, that's always the most frustrating situation in the game, when you've almost created the perfect heir, then suddenly die and have to play as Some rear end in a top hat with no way of getting back into your preferred branch of the family.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Paramemetic posted:

The best way by far is to let succession happen and then just seize the kingdom titles back from your brothers.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
A series of low-key errors and learning moments in a hardcore game:

Wife who hated me and refused to be seduced hit 45, and I'm Norse/Ásatrú so I was happy to divorce and find someone with better stats. Character finder defaults to Rank sorting, and on a lark I right clicked the top ruler and was amazed that she'd be 100% for romance. Queen of Italy, hates her husband, huge realm and almost at empire status, bizarrely.

Romance goes off without a hitch, so I divorce wife and find that my soulmate is at minus -800 to marry. Not because she's a queen of a huge realm, but because I'm an evil heathen. That she slept with and still proclaims everlasting love to, ahem? Oh well. She gets knocked up before I can make up my mind on who to remarry and suddenly I have a strong hook on her child's paternity. Hook and +matrilinial are only worth about ~100 acceptance each, but combined they auto-accept? TIL.

Soulmate and I are finally happily married... but she won't help for spousal duties in the Council, since she's landed (and how!) and is too busy. I've somehow never come across this yet. Oh, and there's still no option to ask her to change to my religion, only for me to swap to hers. I decide to keep the marriage alive on the hopes that she spontaneously converts, so I can maybe try to divorce/remarry without the matrilinial clause since she likes me so much. No cigar, years pass and she ticks past 45.

Alas Italy, I almost had you.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Murder all her other children so that your child inherits Italy, then disinherit all your other children so that's your only heir.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh yea, that was 100% the plan. Except the love child (or any other hypotheticals that we could have had before divorce+remarry to get rid of matrilinial) aren't of my Dynasty so I can't play as them.

Err, in hindsight, if I had proclaimed fatherhood of the love child as/before it was born, I'm pretty sure that it still comes out as her Dynasty, just with the 'muddled heritage' trait tagged on. I tried that in a previous game I think, didn't really work.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Ah that sucks. Paradox, fix this!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Serephina posted:

A series of low-key errors and learning moments in a hardcore game:

Wife who hated me and refused to be seduced hit 45, and I'm Norse/Ásatrú so I was happy to divorce and find someone with better stats. Character finder defaults to Rank sorting, and on a lark I right clicked the top ruler and was amazed that she'd be 100% for romance. Queen of Italy, hates her husband, huge realm and almost at empire status, bizarrely.

Romance goes off without a hitch, so I divorce wife and find that my soulmate is at minus -800 to marry. Not because she's a queen of a huge realm, but because I'm an evil heathen. That she slept with and still proclaims everlasting love to, ahem? Oh well. She gets knocked up before I can make up my mind on who to remarry and suddenly I have a strong hook on her child's paternity. Hook and +matrilinial are only worth about ~100 acceptance each, but combined they auto-accept? TIL.

Soulmate and I are finally happily married... but she won't help for spousal duties in the Council, since she's landed (and how!) and is too busy. I've somehow never come across this yet. Oh, and there's still no option to ask her to change to my religion, only for me to swap to hers. I decide to keep the marriage alive on the hopes that she spontaneously converts, so I can maybe try to divorce/remarry without the matrilinial clause since she likes me so much. No cigar, years pass and she ticks past 45.

Alas Italy, I almost had you.

I have information I've learned for future reference regarding scenarios like this, but not this particular scenario.

I've done the exact thing, only with a character that was just a princess and not a queen. They were also of a different religion and wouldn't marry me even though they were my soul mate. The solution? Invite them to my court, whereupon I become their liege, and then I can marry whosoever I wish.

So, in the future, I think if we combined our two ideas, it would work. Find someone who is a potential heir to a realm you'd like to incorporate, even if they're not your religion. Romance them. Get them into your court. Marry them. (Side note: This should also be an easy way to convert to any religion you can see.) Stab away the excess. They can't already be landed, which is what caused most of your heartache.

I can't remember if I was able to negotiate an alliance this way, or if the religious penalty was too great. If it's possible, then that'd be another big help--rather than going down a diplomacy skill tree, if you went down gallant, just elope with someone's daughter and say "Listen, I know we got off on the wrong foot, but I'm treating your daughter very well and hey, you wanna be allies?" That way you can make some big scary friends early on that won't normally give you the time of day.

EDIT
I also found out the hard way, that, at least when CK3 first came out, if you elope with someone with the actual elope scheme, and you're of a religion that can have multiple spouses, you still divorce your spouses, even if you have space for an extra. No idea if this is still the case, but it's a fringe thing to watch out for.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 10, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Somewhat upset at myself for the spontaneous and triumphant laugh I let loose upon being notified that my second son drowned leaving me with a sole heir.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Me sowing:

zoux posted:

Somewhat upset at myself for the spontaneous and triumphant laugh I let loose upon being notified that my second son drowned leaving me with a sole heir.

Me reaping:

Three daughters.

Guess it's time to murder my wife and make a new guy

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Time to bring back the supernatural events where you just suddenly get stabbed to death in your sleep by your Satan-son/daughter, with no real ability or opportunity to prevent it other than save-scumming. :haw:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

zoux posted:

Me sowing:

Me reaping:

Three daughters.

Guess it's time to murder my wife and make a new guy

This is why feminism is important.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

PancakeTransmission posted:

Yeah if you Varangian Adventure anywhere outside of Scandinavia you won't be able to reform Asatru as you personally need the holy sites. It's expected you eventually convert to a reformed religion because of the penalties, especially when you go feudal

Or you go back and take them? That's what I did after varangian-ing constantinople.

On a similarly constantinople-based note, in my current byzantine game I reunited the roman empire, fixed the schism then went on to reconquer all the old provinces. I literally have no more "reconquer" CBs, anywhere. So, what's next? It kinda feels like I should just walk away from that save now. It's either that or give away most of the land. Or go for a North Korea World conquest.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My end game usually revolves around getting the Dynasty of Many Crowns decision. Finding cheezy kingdoms like Crete and Cyprus and see if my idiot cousins can hold on to the bigger Kingdoms I give them or if I have to go back and clean up their messes. Idiots who are usually brilliant, handsome, Herculean purebloods by that time.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Masonity posted:

Or you go back and take them? That's what I did after varangian-ing constantinople.

On a similarly constantinople-based note, in my current byzantine game I reunited the roman empire, fixed the schism then went on to reconquer all the old provinces. I literally have no more "reconquer" CBs, anywhere. So, what's next? It kinda feels like I should just walk away from that save now. It's either that or give away most of the land. Or go for a North Korea World conquest.

Well I did just manage to take the Kingdom of Italy off Lothiringia due to a succession crises on their side.

I still can’t decide on a new religion though, any ideas? Reformed would be nice so I can avoid the penalty.

Also do I just keep demanding conversions, converting faith and culture in counties and keeping dread high in the mean time to keep factions down? Don’t want to end up like my previous game.

I’ll switch to Sicilian culture once I’ve locked in a point in each Norse dynasties as you guys mentioned.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

KDdidit posted:

My end game usually revolves around getting the Dynasty of Many Crowns decision. Finding cheezy kingdoms like Crete and Cyprus and see if my idiot cousins can hold on to the bigger Kingdoms I give them or if I have to go back and clean up their messes. Idiots who are usually brilliant, handsome, Herculean purebloods by that time.

Does anybody not take the blood legacy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I don't because I keep restarting anyway just figuring out how various bits work. I'm pretty sure it's the best at first glance