Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I don't think it's realistic to hope for solo queue to do dull totems. If they're experienced enough to know that need to do then, they're facing killers who don't bring NOED anymore as a crutch.

I'm not a good survivor and only played for archive and dailies until PS4 bugs forced me off killer, but what seems sustainable is to have Detective's Hunch and mentally note the locations of totems. Then do a run by after the last gen to spot any lit ones. You'll miss out on opening exit gates but could save the team while not wasting valuable gen time.

NOED does also annoy because there's really no reason to cleanse dull totems except for NOED. The BP gain is minor, the effect on emblem is hard to notice, and it just takes time you should be spending on gens. But because it's an epidemic on the lower levels, it's teaching the survivors a task they probably shouldn't bother to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Ape Agitator posted:

NOED does also annoy because there's really no reason to cleanse dull totems except for NOED. The BP gain is minor, the effect on emblem is hard to notice, and it just takes time you should be spending on gens. But because it's an epidemic on the lower levels, it's teaching the survivors a task they probably shouldn't bother to do.

I'm seeing it at mid levels too (or whatever Gold III/II is) and yes that's mostly my point. I'm cleaning every totem I see with DH on the CHANCE that he might have NOED and gently caress our endgame up. If 4 survivors do everything right take a couple hooks etc... the killer shouldn't be rewarded by the grace of NOED-Jesus to get 3 kills out of it.

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

SWF requires one totem cleansing perk from one person to completely nullify NOED's effect. There's a reason why it isn't run that often in higher ranks, and that's because more experienced and skilled survivors will heal up, find the totem and cleanse it, then save, depending on what hook state the hooked survivor is at. Lots of time can be spent doing these, if you can bother doing it for a higher chance at an iridescent emblem.

You can also run Small Game/Hunch/Rainbow Map in randos and be the person to save a match, teabagging the killer at the exit. By the time you get those 5 gens done, you should have the knowledge of all the totems in the map.

Ape Agitator posted:

But because it's an epidemic on the lower levels, it's teaching the survivors a task they probably shouldn't bother to do.

If anything, it teaches them to be careful, because the game's not over until they escape. By the time you reach today's equivalent of purple ranks, you know that you shouldn't let your guard down, lest the exposed icon appears on your screen. I guess it also teaches you that totem cleansing perks are useful.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I run NOED because it lets me piss off shithead survivors that go out of their way to be a dick.

Edit: Also because I'm still unlocking better perks.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Comfortador posted:

I'm so tired of matches where 3 or 4 escapes turns into 1 or none because NOED rescued a terrible killer. I can't do gens, rescue hooks, and hunt totems every loving match.

Just leave if you see noed and don't have a good read on totems, lmao.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Studio posted:

Just leave if you see noed and don't have a good read on totems, lmao.

Played 3 matches today, all 3 had NOED. This last one was a Spirit who also had Haunted Ground. I didn't run Detectives cause I needed Gens for a challenge this time.

To me it's just sad because I love the concept of rescuing that last guy, but it takes the fun out of it if I missed 1 or possible 2 totems the entire match and it rewards a killer for essentially sucking. I mean Bubba's and other 1 hit wonders using NOED too, it just seems... a waste of time.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Also, unless you're going to cleanse all 5 totems, don't pre cleanse vs NOED. Remember where they are and check after it's revealed

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

Comfortador posted:

Played 3 matches today, all 3 had NOED. This last one was a Spirit who also had Haunted Ground.

Arguably, this makes totem reads much easier, because you can take 2 totems out of the equation and find NOED much faster.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Studio posted:

Also, unless you're going to cleanse all 5 totems, don't pre cleanse vs NOED. Remember where they are and check after it's revealed

That would be ideal but my memory is poo poo hah

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
getting got by NOED when the game was going really smooth otherwise is frustrating for sure, but the idea that it gives killers kills they don't deserve has always sat a bit weird with me. the game isn't over till you walk past the line and a killer choosing to forgo a perk slot for one that only works for a small window and can be removed before that window even arrives is a build choice they made(even if it was due to not having better perks) and they were able to capitalize on that choice.

if it's more about how it sucks in general when it feels like your opponent plays poorly but gets rewarded anyway, i can agree with that, delete the hatch.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Are 5 minute matchmaking times the norm for killers now?

This time last year I was getting matches in under 30 seconds regularly.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Are 5 minute matchmaking times the norm for killers now?

This time last year I was getting matches in under 30 seconds regularly.

New killer only chapter out means more killers than normal playing rn

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
around like 10-11 PM PST killer queues become instant on the west coast, it's just a lot of people playing Pinhead right now

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Relax Or DIE posted:

getting got by NOED when the game was going really smooth otherwise is frustrating for sure, but the idea that it gives killers kills they don't deserve has always sat a bit weird with me. the game isn't over till you walk past the line and a killer choosing to forgo a perk slot for one that only works for a small window and can be removed before that window even arrives is a build choice they made(even if it was due to not having better perks) and they were able to capitalize on that choice.

if it's more about how it sucks in general when it feels like your opponent plays poorly but gets rewarded anyway, i can agree with that, delete the hatch.

Ha! Deal! Or at least only make it accessible for people who participated score wise.

I know I'm mostly whining, but its almost like a sucker punch when I get 4 out of 5 totems, no one else did one and BLAMMO of course that basement Bubba also had NOED.

Your opinion on the perk slot wasted vs window gives me a different perspective at least. It'll still boil my blood until I die inside about it. :)

Comfortador fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 10, 2021

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
NOED in my opinion sits in the same spot as Lethal Pursuer: you're taking a perk that's active for an incredibly short time of the match to gain a huge advantage in that window. A match going too smoothly and you getting to exit gates with 0-2 hooks Should put you on edge, because something is obviously wrong (or you're fighting a baby) and if you're at 1 gen with hardly any hooks someone should snap away to do bones

like yeah I guess it sucks that a killer could steamroll you before you get the exit gates open but at 4 gens survivors could all just key a hatch and feels just as lovely

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Matches have become so swingy and fast that experienced and good killers are running NOED again(or more often) because that exit gate window means so much, especially with No Way Out getting reworked to a minute of divine grace. I used to think it was purely a crutch or troll move but like Lethal Pursuer the game is so wildly swingy that it's totally worth it. "Know exactly where to go at start of match" vs "wasted 30 seconds in bad patrol lmao lose 3 gens idiot" fully justifies LP and now NOED is the same way. "Ahhh gently caress those were bad chases and they got 5 gens in 5 minutes. Time to make it up."

Yes all of this is occurring alongside the NOED Wraith who slugs and watches people bleed out.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I run Detective's Hunch with Inner Strength. I clear totems that are in tucked away spots or to charge a fast self heal that doesn't show up on Nurse's Calling. Totems that are in obvious spots I leave alone and check at end game. If one lights up chances are you will cleanse it or someone else will see it and do it first. But yeah it isn't the most fun build. It's just a solo survivor who also gets annoyed losing to NOED build

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'd almost settle for NOED not being a surprise. Gates are powered, boom you're exposed. At least that gives you a heads up to start looking without someone getting knocked down.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Holy poo poo Pig's "traps last for way less time" addon is hot bullshit. I got trapped last night and I don't think I even theoretically had enough time to go to more than two puzzle boxes before it snapped. And of course neither of them were the right one so gently caress me I guess.

I also have some Thoughts about The Shape's "T3 lasts forever" addon, especially with survivors who give him T3 almost immediately at the start of the match.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Tampered Timer by itself is scary but generally fine, you just have to focus very quickly on getting your hat off. Tampered Timer with Crate of Gears and (to a lesser extent) Jigsaw's Sketch is super dumb will probably get a kill in 50% of games where survivors rush to remove active traps.

Healing survivors, stealthy survivors, gently caress around survivors, etc. will also have dramatically lower odds versus one of these combos.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

oops my game crashed mysteriously after the survivors did a Haddonfield offering while i'm still getting the hang of blight

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Studio posted:

Tampered Timer by itself is scary but generally fine, you just have to focus very quickly on getting your hat off. Tampered Timer with Crate of Gears and (to a lesser extent)

Yeah according to my friend who played the game out Tampered Timer + Crate of Gears was the combo, but I didn't even know the addon names much less remember them. I bounced out to drop my amazing 12 000 blood points (after a cake and a +50% objective points offering) into Dwight after I died.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I mean they're also purple add-ons so realistically you're not gonna be seeing that every game

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

DeathChicken posted:

I mean they're also purple add-ons so realistically you're not gonna be seeing that every game

True but I think "if the killer uses this combo of items and addons, it can be mathematically impossible for you to survive the first down" is kinda lovely game design.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah tampered timer+crate of gears is sometimes, rarely, an inescapable death trap. If the pig times putting the trap on well, and the map spawns boxes in bad places, and the survivors fails their first three 25% rolls.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I legit had time to try two puzzle boxes before the trap killed me. I'm not saying I played 100% optimally, because I did get chased by the Pig for a while (the counter of course doesn't tick down while you're in a chase, but it did push me away from the area), but I don't see how even playing perfectly I could have had time to complete all four boxes. The trap blew almost immediately after completing the second box, and I didn't blow any skill checks.

It's not the end of the world but "RNG says you die now" is kind of lovely game design in a game where you only get one life.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, it sucks when it happens but it's pretty rare.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I watch CM Winter "World record Pig main" and he does those combos a lot. It usually gets 1 person at least. If pig guards to traps, she can make it kill you.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Tampered Timer reduces RBT timer by 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Crate of Gears increases search time of a Jigsaw Box by 3.6 seconds to 15.6 seconds.

120 - (15.6 * 4) = 57.6

Assuming you neither miss any skill checks nor get any greats, you have almost a minute of travel time between the boxes before your head pops. I don't think there's any Billy Box layout or any map large enough where it would take more than that time to hit all four, so I don't think it's possible to have a "you're doomed the instant the trap turns on" situation.

Now obviously killer interference delaying you can spell doom, but in a vacuum you always have enough time.

temple posted:

I watch CM Winter "World record Pig main" and he does those combos a lot. It usually gets 1 person at least. If pig guards to traps, she can make it kill you.

CM Winter is everything I hate about killer main streamers. He tunnels, camps, and complains endlessly about SWFs. But he is really good at Pig, so I can't stop hate watching him.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 11, 2021

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

The new mmr system matches you per killer you play right? It feels like that but honestly i could just be telling myself thing. I other news, i got a cheeky 4k on leatherface against four iri rank 1s (idk if that means anything) but they sure got salty afterwards.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

canada jezus posted:

The new mmr system matches you per killer you play right? It feels like that but honestly i could just be telling myself thing. I other news, i got a cheeky 4k on leatherface against four iri rank 1s (idk if that means anything) but they sure got salty afterwards.

That's the way it's supposed to be. I did 4 killer matches with Pyramid Head last night and got a 4k (or 3k and hatch) every single time, and I saw a couple of red 1s as well. You just need to stop thinking of grade as rank, it's basically just a gauge of how often people play now that you can't go down in grade, and length of time played does not always correlate with skill.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Oh you can't go down anymore? That seems really weird. At least they're gonna give me a bunch of blood points in two days i guess.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

canada jezus posted:

Oh you can't go down anymore? That seems really weird. At least they're gonna give me a bunch of blood points in two days i guess.

You can drop points in your rank but you can't de-pip anymore. Your actual rank is a deep dark secret.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I'm still convinced that they didn't actually put an MMR system in and just used this as an excuse to hide ranks.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

New player and going Leatherface suddenly makes winning as killer possible. Nice.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I'm still convinced that they didn't actually put an MMR system in and just used this as an excuse to hide ranks.

Except they didn't hide them, which is what's dumb. Every new grade corresponds directly to one of the old numeric levels. Ash 2, for example, is just 17.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

rydiafan posted:

Except they didn't hide them, which is what's dumb. Every new grade corresponds directly to one of the old numeric levels. Ash 2, for example, is just 17.

Your mmr doesn't reset on the 13th of every month like grades do, so in 2 days it will no longer matter.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

fool of sound posted:

Your mmr doesn't reset on the 13th of every month like grades do, so in 2 days it will no longer matter.

I had a friend that I kept trying to explain that to last night, when we would get paired with survivors at higher grades than us. It'll just take some time for people to get used to it. Though I don't understand why they're not hiding grades like they did on the test rounds.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

because they're entirely cosmetic now and it's for showing off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

fool of sound posted:

I know your MMR isn't tied to your ranks. My point is there was no reason to rename the ranks.