Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Is consuming the Cloaca Surprise worth it if I have to sacrifice my level 4 freezing ray mutation?

The RNG seems to be steering me into taking it: I'm doing a melee build with multiple legs, multiple arms, and double muscle and the first legendary creature I killed gave me a huge boost to mollusk reputation, then I found some nice snail-themed gloves that give me just enough reputation to be friendly with Slog.

vvv Yeah, the freezing ray is on my feet so it does get removed.

pogothemonkey0 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I thought it only took away your legs.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I really like the idea of being able to reverse engineer certain mods to learn them. It makes finding an otherwise not too exciting item exciting and gives more chances to get the mod you want by doing adventure stuff instead of cloning schematics dealers or camping until they refresh their inventories.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

anything that removes vendor farming as a desirable gameplay choice gets my vote

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I feel like the baetyl interface already exists as a template for how it could work. Just drop 3-8 items with the same mod next to the blueprint machine and it spits out the schematic for that mod.

I'm sure it's more complicated to implement on the backend, but at least on the surface, it looks like it could be really similar.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Huh, looks like one of Ptoh's ospreys procced in the ToEs. Didn't know this was a thing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
That's very cool.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I finally figured out the trick to Haggabah and his examine text made me feel very silly about not figuring it out sooner.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

rodbeard posted:

I finally figured out the trick to Haggabah and his examine text made me feel very silly about not figuring it out sooner.

Is that the Umbral troll?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

genericnick posted:

Is that the Umbral troll?

that's most of SA really

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I don't want to turn of permadeath, but I want to be able to go into a dungeon and not get obliterated instantly by a neutron flux pentasludge. Why is walking nuclear explosion a thing?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
  • Added a new wayfaring skill, Wilderness Lore: Rivers and Lakes.
  • Renamed Wilderness Lore: Mountains to Wilderness Lore: Hills and Mountains.
  • Made moving across rivers, lakes, and the Rainbow Wood a little slower.
  • The Rainbow Wood and Palladium Reef are no longer considered jungles for the purposes of wilderness lore.
  • Various becoming nooks across Qud now have implants in their cybernetics racks again.
  • Gravity grenades now down flyers in their area of effect.
  • Creatures beguiled via the cooking effect triggered action now lose interest in their beguilers after the metabolizing effect expires.
  • Algal water pools in Lake Hinnom and the Palladium Reef are now deeper and squarely past the swim threshold.
  • Serrated and nanon weapons now have a very small chance to decapitate independent of whether you have the Decapitate skill power. Having Decapitate does not augment this chance.
  • Nanon now requires Tinker III.
  • Moved the river referenced in Raising Indrix to south of the Kyakukya instead of north. Also fixed a bug with its starting location.
  • Added descriptions for all new cybernetic implants.
  • Changed the name of some high-tier implants.
  • Added descriptions for prism perch, white esh, quatravolt glider, and sultan croc.
  • Updated what secrets svardym and the denizens of the Yd Freehold are interested in.
  • The Hydropon is no longer subject to svardym storms.
  • Urns in the Yd Freehold now have appropriate names.
  • Changed the names and added descriptions for finger coral and tunnel sponge.
  • Increased the number of times you can drink [redacted] for a positive effect.
  • Meditation no longer occasionally cures gamma moth mutation.
  • Damage reflected by equipment is now attributed to the equipment's wearer.
  • Fixed a bug that caused new characters to be created without the proper faction reputations for their genotype and subtype.
  • Fixed a bug that caused natural claw weapons from Skulk Tonic to remain after the effect expired.
  • Fixed a bug that caused you to start with the skill that your random starting village teaches via the water ritual.
  • Fixed a reputation bug that caused several hostility issues with creatures' attitudes toward you.
  • Fixed a bug that caused map notes to not load until you opened your journal.
  • Fixed a bug that caused recipes intended to give corrosive gas generation to have no effect.
  • Fixed a bug that made it impossible to complete an important Tomb of the Eaters quest step.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented relics that bestow extra carry capacity from working.
  • Fixed a bug that caused kills via your spaser-generated plasma to not be attributed to you.
  • Fixed a bug that caused robots to be unaffected by ganglionic teleproject and Rebuke Robot.
  • Fixed a bug that made it possible to fly underground with a certain flight-granting cybernetic boosts.
  • Fixed a bug that caused you to be referred to in the third person wehn dealing damage with Sunder Mind.
  • Fixed a bug that caused up-stairs to generate on the surface level of the Palladium Reef.
  • Fixed a bug that cauased identified artifacts to keep their unidentified color.
  • Fixed a bug that caused [redacted] to fail to render correctcly if entered with penetrating radar enabled.
  • Fixed a bug that caused an exception when a [redacted] is targeting during a serialization cycle
  • More [redacted].
  • [modding] Fixed the player's body object not being sourced from Genotype/Subtype.

Additionally, here are the notes for some additional changes that were included in the last few alpha and beta patches.

• Our official, community-mananged wiki has a new home: https://wiki.cavesofqud.com. We updated the link in the Modding Utilities.
  • You can now jump through squares that contain creatures who are out of phase or flight with you.
  • You can no longer manipulate the results of cooking with nectar by using Precognition.
  • The carrying capacity bonus from Multiple Legs now reflects its description.
  • You can no longer talk to your original body while dominating another creature. (This led to bad things.)
  • Ctrl+Space once again looks at items on the equipment screen.
  • Most things that interrupt autoact now provide a visual indicator of what caused the interruption, if it's something external.
  • Psionic weapons no longer affect inanimate objects.
  • Night-vision goggles are now overloadable.
  • Creatures are now a little better at escaping environmental damage.
  • Creatures no longer use Force Bubble if an ally is adjacent. This prevents rare Force Bubble + Temporal Fugue crashes.
  • Nulling weapons now apply astral burdening for a short time after they hit, rather than only instantaneously as they hit.
  • Looking at objects in force fields and stasis fields now gives info on the object instead of the field.
  • Rephrased messages about additional body parts needed to equip items in more abstract, inclusive terms.
  • Slightly decreased the traversal speed of most projectiles.
  • A visible rhinox getting ready to charge now interrupts autoact.
  • Temporal fugue clones are now placed a little more intelligently with respect to natural movement modes (e.g., aquatic creature clones will prefer spawning in swim-depth water).
  • Fixed a bug that caused autoexplore to dig around boulders and rubble instead of through them.
  • Fixed a bug that caused Temporal Fugue clones to always spawn northwest of you.
  • Fixed a bug that caused jewelers to occasionally have double-jewel-encrusted items.
  • Fixed a bug that caused you to occasionally get stuck inside walls when using Space-Time Vortex.
  • Fixed a bug that caused creatures to sometimes generate inside walls.
  • Fixed a rare crash in Grit Gate.
  • The "you" pronoun is no longer incorrectly used when creatures collect liquids.
  • [modding] Added some new predicates to conversations: IfTrueKin, IfNotTrueKin, IfGenotype, IfNotGenotype, IfSubtype, and IfNotSubtype.
  • [modding] Unity impostors now support X and Y offsets.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

rodbeard posted:

Why is walking nuclear explosion a thing?

New title.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Unormal posted:

[*]Serrated and nanon weapons now have a very small chance to decapitate independent of whether you have the Decapitate skill power. Having Decapitate does not augment this chance.

:stare:

looking forward to the incredibly rare snapjaw-with-a-serrated-weapon killing a terrifyingly powerful high-level esper chance

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Low-key Regen mutation buffs, very subtle.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

quote:

You can no longer talk to your original body while dominating another creature. (This led to bad things.)

It's incredibly discouraging to think about making a game in my non-existent free time and realizing I'll never make something that has patch notes like this. Whomever called Caves of Qud the closest thing to Morrowind since Morrowind was absolutely right.

edit: also just stumbled across this, catching up on the RL thread

Congrats unormal, it's a huge accomplishment and the game is awesome!

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 11, 2021

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Is this a beta update or a regular update?

e: I don't see a new character creation menu so I guess it's beta

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 11, 2021

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Nanon being moved to tinker III makes sense, since that poo poo was potent, especially if you get a certain new item that boosts % chances on weapons. It also helps make building for tinker III be more appealing and not just something for gimmicks (or I don't know, maybe it makes it more gimmicky, I probably shouldn't post when I'm just waking up).

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I'm not sure anything, no matter how potent, can make 29 Int a worthwhile investment.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Intelligence is secretly the best dump stat in the game, it's just that it's the inverse of Willpower.

Willpower starts out looking worthless at a naive analysis and its value steadily becomes more apparent as you get better at the game and face more lategame enemies. It's also a stat that has become progressively more valuable over the development of the game, historically.

Intelligence conversely is extremely valuable when you're new because you don't know what skills to pick and more points = more flexibility and chances to stumble onto strong picks. But if you pare down your list to the bare essentials and the most impactful picks at each level, even a dumb-as-rocks mutant has more than enough -- and this only becomes more true each time the Water Ritual skill list is expanded.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

even a dumb-as-rocks mutant has more than enough

This is kinda a sticking point to me; bruiser melee builds have a sharper desire for skill points than tinkers with laser guns. Some of this might be the unfinished state of things and bow&rifles being effectively absent, but for a brute who thinks "I'm gonna get 6 arms and chop poo poo up" the skill point requirements for maximum bumping is kinda staggering; Whole weapon tree of your choice (capstone skill alone is 300), dual wield tree (very expensive), shields skills, maybe some Charge synergy? God help you if you try to do the whole long blade primary + short blade offhand that the trees imply. Meanwhile brainiacs get the very cheap wayfaring, cooking, only a few tinker skills, social/rummage skills because why not, then start eyeing up all the Toughness/Willpower passives since they're flush with skill points. You know, the utility things mister muscle over there will never see unless he abandons the maximum-bump plan.

I kinda justify it in that most mutants can just use their mutations to fight and the melee skill trees are maybe aimed more at Truekin. It's also Early Access and stuff like Set Limb still exist so I'm sure it'll get a pass eventually.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Said he was going out for a pack of cigarettes when he didn't even smoke, huh? I gotcha.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
I like having extra skill points to spend in getting every wilderness lore skill. Going deep on Int has never left me with nothing left to spend skill points on, even at like level 40.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Int is nice but I just took a melee/psy build with 10 (!!!) starting int to level 30 and I was still able to get the key skills I needed at the usual times (axe stuff including berserk, charge, shield bash, duel wield). It’s a sacrifice but only in the same way that low toughness or ego is a sacrifice.

It definitely becomes easier once you know which skills you can water ritual for

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

If I don't have int I can't get scavenge rumours from trash and that's the best skill in the game

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

If I don't have int I can't get scavenge rumours from trash and that's the best skill in the game

that's a water ritual skill. from pariahs. there's one in the Six-Day Stilt

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

that's a water ritual skill. from pariahs. there's one in the Six-Day Stilt

The bey lah outcast doesn't teach it for some reason. You have to find a random pariah.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

rodbeard posted:

The bey lah outcast doesn't teach it for some reason. You have to find a random pariah.

weird, i could have sworn i got it from that guy once

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
Going nuts with willowy mod is very nice. Lighter equipment will mean an easier time playing packrat which, honestly, I should spend less time doing… but all the bits I’m using for these and other mods I got off of combat shottys, carbines, and mortar tubes (my snapjaw bud now has dueling stance and swipe!) so at least some of the hoarding is doing good things for me. I think… maybe I’ll beguile a liquid merchant from a lair and relocate them to Grit Gate? I could do that with a bunch of merchants and make my own goofy market.

My bear with confusion stinger didn’t make it. I’ve been playing in role play mode and discovering that every time I see a rimewyk, I need to stop doing everything else and Not Get Frozen First- also having a beguiled rimewyk is no real protection against being murdered by a hostile one.

Mutated triple-jointed and my agility was already good- waiting to either find decent pistols or (6) bits for tinkering up hand rails (which I assume are not just furniture for accessibility)

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
What to do against swarms of mirrorbugs? My cherub companion dunked all over itself and I nearly did too.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Crimson Harvest posted:

What to do against swarms of mirrorbugs? My cherub companion dunked all over itself and I nearly did too.

Upthread someone was saying that damage reflection can get turned off by EMP? Or was it normality effects?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

prisoner of waffles posted:

Upthread someone was saying that damage reflection can get turned off by EMP? Or was it normality effects?

That wasn't about the Mirrors, I don't think. Maybe reality gas could help?

Crimson Harvest posted:

I just used a smaller gun.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Yeah ok maybe i'm just using horns and could kill myself in 4 hits with reflect oops

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

IIRC environmental damage doesn't get reflected so make a lava or acid moat

Edit: or poison/ corrosive gas grenades

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 12, 2021

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Geomagnetic discs tend to work well too, they don't overkill them so you can keep the damage managable.

Yeah sure I'll get right on that buddy

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Can you still esper with cryokinis and pyrokinis and light manipulation?

I wanna do that when i get home

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Yeah, all of those are still very effective.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Heat/cold mutations actually got a pretty big buff, there are some new items that work really great with them.

Thermal casks are armor that uses an energy cell to boost your hot/cold damage

“Coated in plasma” is a new debuff that gives -100 hot/cold/electrical resist, and makes it significantly slower to return to normal temp. You can apply it with the new plasma grenades, or the new high-end spazer pistols and rifles which create a cloud of plasma on impact

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Crimson Harvest posted:

Grabbing a smaller gun/club is normally enough, but I'll add: AoE grenades do great, stuff like acid clouds dispatch them asap and I think might not even reflect damage. The real answer is "Just ignore the bugs and walk past them to kill the spawner". Turns out the bugs don't really have much PV and are mostly harmless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

My own fault for playing beta but I've got an irrecoverable game.

Was on level 29 of underground, went down and saw an "Impossible" Seeker dude. Gulped and ran back up the stairs, he followed me and cast some vortex thing. I was able to Beserk -> Flurry -> Decaptitate him in a stroke of luck. His vortex thing hosed up the level a bit, and summoned something called a Star Kraken, which I didn't want any part of, so went back down the stairs. About 5 turns after that, no matter what I do (including recall back to Joppa) the game locks up with:
Action Queue Inconsistency: Removing Object with no current cell Star Kraken (star kraken)

The weird thing is it locks up in a mostly soft way; you can right click on things to Look at them, if you press Alt the side message display disappears, but you can't actually move any more, and most onscreen animation (e.g. character flashing because they are wet) stops. The time I got back to Joppa the torches still flicker. Right click registers, but no keypress does, including Esc to get main menu.

Is there a way to say delete Star Kraken entity first before it errors out maybe? This is the first game I've gotten zetacrhome gear in a while and would hate to lose it.