Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The last bootleg I bought was for a series that never got an official release. The episodes came in a jumbled up order on unlabeled discs. Booo :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

The last bootleg I bought was for a series that never got an official release. The episodes came in a jumbled up order on unlabeled discs. Booo :mad:

Sounds like they gave you a mission

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd be the coolest bootlegger. You want a copy of the old-rear end Thin Man TV show? Check out the rad animated menus that I spent 15 hours on. And it'd come in a case with a really classy cover that looks better than an official release would have. I'd probably throw on some special features, too—at least a Stills Gallery and posters and such.

I'd be so in the red in terms of time spent to profits, but I'd be drat proud of my work. And then I'd be too afraid to actually sell it.

fake edit: piracy is BAD though

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

feedmyleg posted:

If it was The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, that was the order the episodes are supposed to be in.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The best bootleg dvd seller I ever saw was a few years ago at a horror convention. That dude had some cool poo poo that was never released on home video.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

MacheteZombie posted:

From Torrents = banned

From Toretto's trunk = cool as hell

What are the rules about bootlegs anyway? I'm not about to start listing off ways to buy them or anything I've just wondered a lot if it's similarly against the rules to talk about having them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
In the before times there was a dude who'd show up at the bar all the time with a list of new bootlegs. Everyone was buying form him but me because it was all pedestrian poo poo for like $5 a pop. Like people went apeshit for it too because it was all the movies that either still were in theaters, just left, or new on disc.

I was never interested because I don't really want a copy of Jurassic World 2 on DVD-R

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The first time I saw the 2003 Hulk was on a bootleg from a comic book store like a week before the movie released. There were some scenes where the CGI Hulk wasn’t finished yet.

e: Since then I’ve purchased the movie on DVD and Blu-ray. I like it better than the MCU movie.

Splint Chesthair fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 11, 2021

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I was surprised when I got a copy of Infinity War on BD 3D for very cheap on eBay.

It made much more sense when it showed up w an inkjet color, BD-R, and thin case.

But it works!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The only bootleg I have is one of Let It Be that was cobbled together from sources with random video qualities and aspect ratios. Probably will be the only version of it I'll ever have because it seems like Peter Jackson's thing is going to be the official Paul and Ringo blessed replacement.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I bought a PAL copy of Renaissance on DVD forever ago, before it even released in America. I was never sure if it was a bootleg or not. It worked fine though.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The bootleg version of wolverine origins with the unfinished CGI is arguably better than the finished version.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I still love my bootleg version of Black Dynamite that I think is a theatrical cut of the film? The Cleaning Up The Streets montage has different moments in it and there aren’t any subtitles when Fiendish Dr. Wu shows up on the radio, which I think is a funnier gag.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Best bootleg I ever saw was at a market in Cambodia. Superman Returns, only it was titled "Overwhelming American Action Movie"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There’s a bootleg of Hardboiled that’s supposed to be good. I personally have never bought a bootleg anything.

My one bootleg story is my mom brought a bootleg copy of The Book of Eli back from Afghanistan and put it on. It was immediately apparent that it was camcorder job, though my brother wanted to argue about it and insisted that this is how it’s supposed to look. Then somebody walked in front of the screen.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Iron Crowned posted:

In the before times there was a dude who'd show up at the bar all the time with a list of new bootlegs. Everyone was buying form him but me because it was all pedestrian poo poo for like $5 a pop. Like people went apeshit for it too because it was all the movies that either still were in theaters, just left, or new on disc.

I was never interested because I don't really want a copy of Jurassic World 2 on DVD-R

I used to have such a gentleman come in with the tamale lady and take advantage of all the drunken states of all the patrons of the bar and sell us bootleg movies and shows along with dinner for the evening. It was pretty sweet. That was many years ago.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I have a Sifl and Olly complete series bootleg DVD set.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

i have a New Monkees bootleg dvd set

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
One time a mall kiosk guy sold me a bootleg of something I'd never heard of, the guy convinced me there was this new and amazing martial arts guy who was starting to become popular but wasn't really known in the U.S. yet.

That movie was Ong Bak, so I wish I could track that mall kiosk guy down and thank him.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I bought a bootleg of The Unbearable Lightness of Being which, after watching it, would've been funny to keep.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I never got to see Ong Bak because I bought it, lent it out, and the kid never gave it back. I shoudl rectify that.

Birb w/ Crystal Plumage UHD LE is down to $30 on Amazon, if you had any interest. Had no issues w/ having BBY price-match under the return/exchange period myself. Good deal for such a package!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.slashfilm.com/601282/under-seen-horror-gem-the-guest-is-getting-a-4k-release-this-october/

The Guest is coming to UHD

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Supposedly a more bare bones edition is planned down the road, which is good cuz I love this movie but don't love it $85 worth.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Does The Guest even have enough of a following to justify that price?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I like The Guest but good lord

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I feel like the soundtrack has more of a following than the movie, but yea I’ll be waiting for the cheaper version down the road.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sirotan posted:

Supposedly a more bare bones edition is planned down the road, which is good cuz I love this movie but don't love it $85 worth.
:eyepop:

Yeah, I'll definitely be waiting

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Rageaholic posted:

:eyepop:

Yeah, I'll definitely be waiting

Just wanted to link this as the source for that news: https://twitter.com/SecondSightFilm/status/1436644220568227842?s=20

Apparently it cost a whole lot of money for them to license the soundtrack for the limited release.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Music licensing laws... kinda suck! Still!

And also copyright is theft

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So Amazon has The Thing UHD for $22, is that the version I want or should I be getting a different cool edition or something?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

So Amazon has The Thing UHD for $22, is that the version I want or should I be getting a different cool edition or something?

There's a Best Buy steelbook, if you're into that sort of thing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

There's a Best Buy steelbook, if you're into that sort of thing.

Are the disc contents otherwise the same?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i love giving best buy money for blu rays. I hope hope hope hope hope they don't shut that poo poo down.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hold up, the Amazon reviews on the $250 LOTR Ultimate Collectors Set says it won’t have the special features from the old Blu-ray sets, despite being 31 goddamn discs.

This can’t be accurate, can it? Why on earth would I want the $250 set over the existing 4K set? Am I missing something here?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Hold up, the Amazon reviews on the $250 LOTR Ultimate Collectors Set says it won’t have the special features from the old Blu-ray sets, despite being 31 goddamn discs.

This can’t be accurate, can it? Why on earth would I want the $250 set over the existing 4K set? Am I missing something here?

Why would anyone want any copies of Lord of the Rings?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Like, the movies? Because they’re good and worth watching and owning?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Next you're gonna say the same thing about the first 3-4 Alien movies!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Boywhiz88 posted:

Next you're gonna say the same thing about the first 3-4 Alien movies!
:hmmyes:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Thing steelbook is showing sold out at the few Best Buys I’ve checked. Probably missed this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Lord of the Rings more like BORED of the Rings.

Liking the movies is whatever, I've just never understood why LOTR fans in particular like having hours and hours and hours of bonus material about the films. How much could there be possibly left to say? Those movies have been reissued on so many different editions over the last 20 years.