Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Rinwell's English audio quality seems not great, unfortunately.

Yeah theres something off about it. I don't know if I can quite put my finger on it, the ends of her words lack crispness? I dunno how to describe it. It was really noticeable in one of the early skits but doesn't seem totally consistent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Barudak posted:

Yeah theres something off about it. I don't know if I can quite put my finger on it, the ends of her words lack crispness? I dunno how to describe it. It was really noticeable in one of the early skits but doesn't seem totally consistent

Its constantly slightly off for me, I am in the third area. I am contributing it to not having the same quality setup available as the others in their home, and assuming they didn't get studio time due to lockdowns. Its not egregiously bad, just noticeably tinny/scratchy on occasion.

That being said Law is not always consistent either

WirelessPillow fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 11, 2021

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Rinwell's English audio quality seems not great, unfortunately.

EDIT: Although honestly I'm not sure if there's something about the snowy area I'm in, it's making all the voice lines sound a little low quality

So i'm not alone in thinking that first scene she shows up in where she's breathing heavily was EAR BLEEDLINGLY LOUD? I haven't really noticed it in other scenes with her voice acting nearly as much as that first one.

Maybe they just made to sure to get high quality audio files of her saying blah blah blah and MAGICKAZAM! to satisfy the fanservice quota.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I feel like minibosses/bosses could use a bit less health (maybe like 20% or so?); maybe I"m just bad though but it gets a bit tiring sometimes.

Combat overall is fine but despite the easier perfect guard/dodge skills some enemies are particularly hard to dodge unless you know the timings well since the tells are fairly short for a lot of moves.

Human-sized bosses are the worst since it's a crapshoot if you can even see anything from all the effects and particles going on.

Disclaimer that I just finished up the 3rd area, so maybe it gets better.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

She definitely sounds a little peaky on her audio quality I've noticed. Not horribly intolerable but it's definitely there.

Anyways I just stepped outside the cave into the 2nd area and game is real fun. Combat feels real good. What's the deal with Hidden Artes though? I picked up a fancy aerial arte but can't ever combo into it. Is it a case where hidden artes can only be comboed with each other or something else?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Man everyone is so fun to play

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

eonwe posted:

im moving and won't have access to my ps5 controller

m + kb at least passable?

M + KB is pretty good! Click to attack is a lot easier for me than R1 and you can rebind almost anything.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Finished the third area and finished assembling the party.

We also get Shionne at the campfire being blunt as usual asking about why Kisara's armor has an open back. Dohalim says that Guards were free to customize their armor, and Kisara adds that she did the open back thing, because it's a point of pride for the guardsmen to never show the enemy their back, and it was her way of making it a thing she would enforce. Also removing all the armor from the back made it lighter so she could move around quicker.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Barudak posted:

YoshiOfYellow posted:

She definitely sounds a little peaky on her audio quality I've noticed. Not horribly intolerable but it's definitely there.
one thing to keep in mind during covid is that voice actors are doing their work from home with audio equipment sent to their house and an audio engineer not physically present. really games have managed fairly well despite all that even if there's parts that should have gotten a second pass they're always operating under a small budget with the release date fixed

the neighbours must get really confused at times even with the sound insulation

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Wow, I'm surprised there are owls here, too

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

While there are some narrative similarities, what with the fire based summon sword of planet energy bound to a specific woman, this particular bit of hate was because during the balseph fight at half health a cutscene takes over where it seems like you got womped. I had immediately xenoblade 2 flashbacks and mentally started steeling myself for a game where none of the villains die without piles of backstory and in the final dungeon. Then Alphen got back into it, the boss ran off, round 2 immediately started, and ended with Alphen killing him. I was like this is what I wanted for 80 hours Xenoblade 2, its not hard! It feels good and makes the plot flow faster!

I also have a suspicion Alphen won't say genocide is forgiveable either. Seriously gently caress Xenoblade 2's writing.

Xenoblade 2s good tho

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man I just hit area 2 and this game is loving really good

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Terper posted:

Wow, I'm surprised there are owls here, too

Its weird because as far as I can tell each owl has its own unique hoot but theres only the one line for finding them

Endorph posted:

Xenoblade 2s good tho

I beat it, so admittedly it is better than Final Fantasy 6

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

I beat it, so admittedly it is better than Final Fantasy 6
we are agreed on this.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

What an unusual bird...

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Anyone know how to unlock that door near the gate of fire. Is it a later spoiler thing or something I missed after beating the first boss.

Currently defeated the 2nd major boss so far in terms of story

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Can anyone clue me in on what "proficiency" means with moves? I have a title locked behind 700 with leg sweep and Im hoping thats not use that specific move 700 times

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

Can anyone clue me in on what "proficiency" means with moves? I have a title locked behind 700 with leg sweep and Im hoping thats not use that specific move 700 times
i believe proficiency is artes in a specific category, not a specific arte. so i think thats leg strike, not leg sweep, and its counting the usage amount of all of law's kick moves put together?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You can find it on the Status menu of a character.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is there anything more to Rinwell mid to late game or is it just faster casting?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I played this all night last night (made it to zone 2) and it's really really fun. I wish I could practice combat a little easier.

The story is insane. There is no way he could eat under that iron mask.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What does the uh Penetration stat actually do

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nuketulsa posted:

I played this all night last night (made it to zone 2) and it's really really fun. I wish I could practice combat a little easier.
Yeah this is my only real complaint. A practice mode seems like it'd be really easy to implement. Or at the very least, other tales games had accessories that made your party do only 1 damage per hit - they could just give you those from the start. I guess you coudl abuse them for arte usage grinding, but realistically not like thats much more convenient than going into random battles over and over for the same purpose.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Sakurazuka posted:

i think it helps get enemies into break status quicker so you can launch them into the air and stuff

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

Yeah this is my only real complaint. A practice mode seems like it'd be really easy to implement. Or at the very least, other tales games had accessories that made your party do only 1 damage per hit - they could just give you those from the start. I guess you coudl abuse them for arte usage grinding, but realistically not like thats much more convenient than going into random battles over and over for the same purpose.
There is a 1 damage artifact that's togglable

It just comes much later

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Theres a tutorial for it that only seems to exist in the tutorial recap menu. In short it controls critical rate and enemy interruption chance and works by comparing against their resistance stat

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Barudak posted:

While there are some narrative similarities, what with the fire based summon sword of planet energy bound to a specific woman, this particular bit of hate was because during the balseph fight at half health a cutscene takes over where it seems like you got womped. I had immediately xenoblade 2 flashbacks and mentally started steeling myself for a game where none of the villains die without piles of backstory and in the final dungeon. Then Alphen got back into it, the boss ran off, round 2 immediately started, and ended with Alphen killing him. I was like this is what I wanted for 80 hours Xenoblade 2, its not hard! It feels good and makes the plot flow faster!

I also have a suspicion Alphen won't say genocide is forgiveable either. Seriously gently caress Xenoblade 2's writing.

Hell yes, that part owned and you're right that it's a big improvement over Xenoblade 2.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I am champing at the bit to find out why this creampuff softy of a main character is later dressed up with the edgiest of armors any Tales of protagonist has ever worn for non-goofy costumes reasons.
I mean he's a JRPG Amnesiac Protagonist so I'm gonna guess the reason is "I was a Bad Man Who Murdered before I lost my memory but now I will wear my Bad Man Armor while doing Good Man things to atone for it" but still, I wanna see how they pull it off.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So the main quest is about meeting the king and queen of the owls, and finding all of their species throughout the world. This is strange for a JRPG plot, but I like it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Alphen got Reigning Slash and it's so much better than literally anything else I could be doing I feel kinda bad for spamming it.

Not enough to not do it, but

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

drat that sewer boss that spawns the little stunlocking spellcaster blobs was tough. havent game overed yet but i came close. towards the end it just keeps tossing them out every time you get rid of them so its better to just try and burn the boss down as fast as you can.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Enjoying the game so far, but I think for the first time ever, I have to switch to Semi-Auto. It's annoying that the game doesn't auto-correct at all in manual mode, and I find myself swatting at air a lot more then I feel I should.

Other than that, I'm enjoying the game, and the plot. I like killing enslavers.

Also, I have to say I really don't mind the new skit style at all. I think it works pretty well with how they've been using it. One thing about them that I noticed is that the panels typically go from left to right, instead of right to left like I would expect from a manga.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Calaveron posted:

I am champing at the bit to find out why this creampuff softy of a main character is later dressed up with the edgiest of armors any Tales of protagonist has ever worn for non-goofy costumes reasons.
I mean he's a JRPG Amnesiac Protagonist so I'm gonna guess the reason is "I was a Bad Man Who Murdered before I lost my memory but now I will wear my Bad Man Armor while doing Good Man things to atone for it" but still, I wanna see how they pull it off.

My man is lit it's probably just regular armor he found and it got crispy again and again and he's still a total dork

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Kind of wish there was more setup at the beginning of the game. Seems like everything starts moving a million miles a minute immediatly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

Kind of wish there was more setup at the beginning of the game. Seems like everything starts moving a million miles a minute immediatly.

I wish the game gave me more room to breathe and just play it. Areas are too small, and there are not that many side quests. You barely have any chance to just explore the world, at least early on.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 11, 2021

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yeah I wish you started playing as the characters as babies running around and speaking with a million people and generally being a lovely child.
Or you started in a sleepy town asleep in class and everyone just talks at your big galoot face about inferior beings and ranches while you also run around doing chores.

EDIT: I'm being a turd, most tales games have a fairly good beginning. I appreciate when games start quick and get you in on the action pretty quickly which this game actually doesn't. Takes a while to get your first battle tutorial.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

I mean it would have been nice if they built up the first antagonist just a tiny bit more instead of his character essentially amounting to just being a shouty man in a big room. Idk if this gets better as the game goes on so :shrug:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean they don’t really need to, his villianiousness is built into the setting

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

You're absolutely right, they don't need to, no. I would have enjoyed it more if they had though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I dunno I always expect the first boss to be filler. There just to give you so,etching to fight as they establish the setting