Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Looten Plunder posted:

So I read somewhere Spike Lee was "considering reviewing the content of the last episode" of his 9/11 doco after all the conspiracy theory backlash.

Did he do this or is it all still there? I wouldn't mind checking it out, but really don't want to if that's what they're working towards the entire time.

iirc he cut out the whole 30 min segment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

You just made my evening! Huzzuh!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Halloween Kills is going day and date on Peacock.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/halloween-kills-going-theatrical-day-date-on-peacock-1234829826/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh poo poo! That rules. I’ve been hype for that film since the moment I stopped watching the last one, and the delay has been painful.

Man, Peacock you get some rough treatment at times but you good with me. Need that S2 Saved by the Bell ASAP now please (still a while off, sadly).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://gizmodo.com/the-rats-of-nimh-are-coming-to-horrify-a-new-generation-1847639139

Fox has ordered an adult targeted animated series based on the Rats of NIMH books. As the article points out the original animation was already a lot darker than the books so I don't even know what the plan is

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

gently caress. yes. :hai:

zoux posted:

I remember, in college, going to a Friday premiere of the first Matrix with zero expectations - all the promotional stuff was like "What's the Matrix???" so they were leaving it intentionally ambiguous, and I don't recall a hint of wushu in any trailers, other than the Trinity jump from the beginning. I don't think I've ever walked out of a theater more blown away by what just saw. I've certainly seen better movies but compared to now, where we know so much about movies before they come out - it was just an incredible surprise. The way they trained A-list actors how to do enough wire fu to make it look good, the direction of the action set pieces, the lobby scene, loving bullet time before it was in everything...

I wasn't even particularly interested in the philosophical implications of the movie, I've always just felt it is an S-tier action movie, among the best that's ever come out of Hollywood. So I didn't much care for the sequels where they go way more into the existential stuff and tried to pull off stuff where the tech wasn't quite there (the agent smith brawl looks like dogshit), and the stupid IRL world stuff was boring. And it didn't have that surprise factor the first one did, that's not their fault obviously but still you feel the lack.

Though the freeway fight and the Merovingian are both great. The architect is fuckin stupid. Fuckin 3rd act mid-climax expo dump.

It's hard to describe what an amazing job they did with the media blitz for the first Matrix. I went in having no idea what it was about besides "What is the Matrix?" (basically the only big ad they ran) and wasn't even sure who the good guys were in the opening act. Keeping the big reveal under wraps was so utterly mindblowing, especially as a 15-year old at my first unchaperoned rated-R movie, that multiple people have earned decades-long careers out of the deal.

And nevermind all of that: just the technical aspects changed film-making forever. Within a year even chip commercials were doing "Matrix-cam" and I remember they even installed one at the Superbowl in 2001, which I saw them get back out for the Olympics this year!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
"No-one can be told what the Matrix is....you have to see it for yourself." was one of the best marketing campaigns ever. It was like "Ok, yeah, you have my attention.". And the movie was just loving rad in so many ways, so it all paid off, which retroactively makes the marketing seem stronger.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

All I know is I'm gonna be disappointed if the new matrix doesn't have a climactic battle with Smithzilla like The Matrix: Path of Neo did.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfeGPilWZp0

Reminder that The Matrix canonically ended with everyone sticking their heads up their own asses and curling up into little balls. I look forward to seeing how they incorporate that into the movie.

Cojawfee posted:

So did they all get tricked into going back into the matrix or something? Or is this another iteration of the matrix but they are older or what is this?

Going by Matrix Online canon, most people simply stayed in the matrix voluntarily instead of going to Zion and eating garbage. The central conflict is then the power struggle over who gets to control the matrix.

Of course, I doubt they are really going to use all that much of the game canon.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 10, 2021

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Between the pandemic and the set burning down I was worried this would never happen.

Thrilled to be wrong!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The final season of Lucifer….IS NOW STREAMING.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
lol what

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdjG44HX7Fc

Sure! Looks fun.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

DC animated stuff is usually solid. Even the low budget movies.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

maaaan, i remember josh gad back when he was a 'substitute teacher' for an mtv game show.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Lol at spelling "principal" wrong

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

theflyingexecutive posted:

Lol at spelling "principal" wrong

I don't know if seats like that have the character name or the actor name normally, but it made me think it was a picture of a set on the show, that they are goijg to make an Avenue 5 movie/documentary to fund a rescue effort or something like that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Final Space was cancelled and I'm gutted.

Apparently it was the Discovery+
merger that killed it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bFg3ljZF2kA

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 10, 2021

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Why is Ted Lasso not as good this season? Like some of it is doing well, but at this point Roy Kent is being written as a fantasy fan girl boyfriend more than a person? Ted dealing with his poo poo is fine but should have gotten there an episode or two ago, the team aspect seems super backseat to every episode focused on the love relationships...

It's not terrible, but it's not the A+ it was last season.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I was pretty bored since the Christmas episode. I'm thinking of quitting. Nothing terrible about it but I"m not connecting to it at all this season.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've enjoyed the last couple, but that Xmas episode was a travesty. I'm still enjoying it, but definitely not as much as I did season 1.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think the reintroduction of long term conflict has improved the show these last few episodes, but that super-twee, super-posh, Americans-doing-Brits energy is very prevalent on the show, and it's exhausting.

The way the first few episode walked back half the decisions from the end of last year was awful.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The first season was focused around Ted as a coach, but all the side characters all now seem to be main characters. It feels like it’s become a soap opera where every single character has their own story that we just have to watch.

The show doesn’t need to spend time on Keeley, Roy’s niece or Rebecca’s dating life each week, or any of that stuff.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I mean, basically all television is soap opera tbh.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Even the Wheel?!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Open Source Idiom posted:

I mean, basically all television is soap opera tbh.

That is true, i'm having a hard time explaining exactly what feels different this season to me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Oasx posted:

That is true, i'm having a hard time explaining exactly what feels different this season to me.

Yeah I won't lie, I'm having the same problem.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Happy to see Wu Tang season 2 has premiered on Hulu! Wasn't too sure it would get a 2nd season since nobody really seemed to talk about season 1 but I thought it was great and excited to see more!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hughmoris posted:

I really hope we get another season of Avenue 5. I know they renewed it before the pandemic but it seems like its been mostly radio silence since then.

The entire ship was a giant set and it all burned down lol

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Why is Ted Lasso not as good this season? Like some of it is doing well, but at this point Roy Kent is being written as a fantasy fan girl boyfriend more than a person? Ted dealing with his poo poo is fine but should have gotten there an episode or two ago, the team aspect seems super backseat to every episode focused on the love relationships...

It's not terrible, but it's not the A+ it was last season.

It's just as good but it's different. The first 3 episodes were meant to drop on the same day, so they structured them different. They also got added two extra episodes (the xmas one being one of them) more than they were meant to produce. Also, the show is building itself out to have a longer life, which is why it has stretched to expand the show into more of an ensemble, like most long-running shows do.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Milo and POTUS posted:

The entire ship was a giant set and it all burned down lol

I could definitely tell because I work in VFX.

That stands for Visual Effects.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

swickles posted:

I don't know if seats like that have the character name or the actor name normally, but it made me think it was a picture of a set on the show, that they are goijg to make an Avenue 5 movie/documentary to fund a rescue effort or something like that.

It’s character name for the principals and then just “CAST” for the dayplayers.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I’m sure it is in-universe because that is the funniest option.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Only Murders in the Building is a surprisingly good show, definitely worth a watch.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I just found out I'm Sorry was canceled and is being moving to HBO max and now I'm sad.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, I’m Sorry was fun and sucks it lost it’s 3rd season.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Oasx posted:

Only Murders in the Building is a surprisingly good show, definitely worth a watch.

I'm trying to get in to it. Selena Gomez is weighing it down for me. She has one gear, and acts like a mannequin compared to the energy of the rest of the cast.

Probably being overly harsh on Selena. The show hasn't snagged me yet, will give it a few more episodes.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 12, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Whatever it is that she’s doing that’s bugging other people doesn’t seem to bother me. I probably don’t want to know the issue as undoubtedly I’d then see it too and be irked!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Someone needs to save Giancarlo Esposito from being type cast as the cold businessman

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Gaius Marius posted:

Someone needs to save Giancarlo Esposito from being type cast as the cold businessman

that ship has loooong since sailed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Tremendously disappointed by Nine Perfect Strangers, after a strong opening set of episodes. The sixth episode was a total snooze.

Hopefully that's just a single episode blip and I'm being fickle. Still a gorgeous show though, with some great performances.