Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Does anybody not take the blood legacy?

When I start Norse, which has been all my last games for a while since I'm getting that out of my system until the new expansion, I always start with Pillage. I play for achievements and generally I hit the goal before I max the Pillage line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

This game sometimes

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Blood is fun once or twice, but also crazy op, kinda takes the fun out of it for me. I love the military line because it allows you to punch above your weight as you migrate to random places around the world while dispossessing yourself of your old territory.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I mean yea, Blood is a legacy about building a strong dynasty... in a game about building strong dynasties. All the others are usually about building individually good rulers, sequentially. Also doesn't help that all the regular legacies are very, very wishy-washy except for the Norse ones.

However, as someone else put it, Blood is more fun in the making than playing with the results. Ubermensch get boring quickly, doubly so if you've already munchkin'd your religion.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah I stopped taking it because it makes the game too easy.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Blood is okay, but you only need the first two legacies in the tree. The third one is fine, but not really necessary. The forth legacy is only really good for gimmick runs where you want your whole family to be albinos or giants or something. And the added life expectancy on the last legacy...I just don't like it. My characters already live too long for my liking anyway, usually I end up playing as my grandkid because my direct heir already died and the grandkid is likely already an adult.

Another thing about Blood: it requires a long playthrough to actually be useful. If you're only going to play for 100-150 years of game time, going for an achievement or something, then there are way better dynasty legacies to pick.

trapped mouse fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 11, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Brother, I rarely even stick to the same legacy tree.

Nothing is more fun in this game than roleplaying a colossal fuckup.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
So I've reformed the Roman empire, control all of Italy, removed all titles from the pope except that papacy. I want to dismantle the papacy (ive mended the schism, and since I have founded my own version of orthodox Christianity), but I don't even get the decision. Not that its grayed out, its just not there. Am I missing something?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

joepinetree posted:

So I've reformed the Roman empire, control all of Italy, removed all titles from the pope except that papacy. I want to dismantle the papacy (ive mended the schism, and since I have founded my own version of orthodox Christianity), but I don't even get the decision. Not that its grayed out, its just not there. Am I missing something?

These are the requirements:

You are a variant of Christianity so the decision isn't available.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

trapped mouse posted:

Blood is okay, but you only need the first two legacies in the tree.

Yeah I tend to take the first 2 blood legacies in any game, but I don't finish it. Maybe go back for the 3rd later.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Started a new game as the Count of Syracuse because I had to get my hard drive replaced.

This is my first game in the 867 start for CK3, I've always preferred the 1066 date in all CK games. My first character died relatively early, but my second guy has crowned himself Despot of Sicily. It's like 907ish IIRC.

So, there's an independent neighboring duchy of Benevento ruled by a Lombard Catholic. IIRC, all three counties are within the dejure Kingdom of Sicily. Why don't I have any CBs on this guy? Is there an innovation I need for that? If so, that's ludicrous.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

No if you own the Kingdom title you should have de jure claims, though I think that the early game innovations limit you to doing it one county at a time.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

No if you own the Kingdom title you should have de jure claims, though I think that the early game innovations limit you to doing it one county at a time.

Maybe it's a bug? I'll see if it clears up when I reload next time.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh no I'm wrong, there is an Innovation you need.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Started a new game as the Count of Syracuse because I had to get my hard drive replaced.

This is my first game in the 867 start for CK3, I've always preferred the 1066 date in all CK games. My first character died relatively early, but my second guy has crowned himself Despot of Sicily. It's like 907ish IIRC.

So, there's an independent neighboring duchy of Benevento ruled by a Lombard Catholic. IIRC, all three counties are within the dejure Kingdom of Sicily. Why don't I have any CBs on this guy? Is there an innovation I need for that? If so, that's ludicrous.

You need the Chronicle Writing (early medieval civic) innovation to get de jure duchy CBs. Beyond that, there are also conquest and holy war ducal CBs, which have various lifestyle, religious, fame, and/or devotion requirements.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Oh no I'm wrong, there is an Innovation you need.

Ugh, you're right. Can't even get a CB for a county until the Emperor chooses to research this one.

https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Casus_belli

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
As the dejure liege and as you are both the same religion you should be able to arrange to just vassalize them. Do some espionage.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

As the dejure liege and as you are both the same religion you should be able to arrange to just vassalize them. Do some espionage.

He's a Lombard Catholic and I'm a Greek Orthodox. Even with the true liege bonus, I won't be able to do it. I tried to befriend him, but of course he's the only one I've managed to fail on. I'm the realm's spymaster, but my intrigue is 0, so assassinating him and trying with his heir is probably not going to work.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Reading up on that page I found a small unrelated detail:

quote:

AI rulers will only use [Varangian Adventures] if all their held titles are located in the Mainland Scandinavia region. If the Scandinavian Adventurers game rule is not set to Apocalyptic then they also require the Ambitious trait, as well as at least two of the following traits: Adventurer, Arrogant, Brave, Greedy.

Oh, so what you're saying is that every game should always be set to Apocalyptic? Defo doing that on my next game.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Can't wait for the lazy humble content invader.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I moved my capital from Rome to a nearby county that was Sicilian culture so I could covert, after fabricating the claim on it. Then my guy dies and his son is Russian. I didn't realise this and moved my capital back and now I'm back to loving tribal tech....sigh :negative:

There is no other way to do this with my current PC right? I can only move the capital once in a lifetime. I'm thinking I'll wait for a faction to rise and then take the option provided it's Italian or Sicilian.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Charlz Guybon posted:

He's a Lombard Catholic and I'm a Greek Orthodox. Even with the true liege bonus, I won't be able to do it. I tried to befriend him, but of course he's the only one I've managed to fail on. I'm the realm's spymaster, but my intrigue is 0, so assassinating him and trying with his heir is probably not going to work.

I once got stuck in a similar situation but luckily I was gay and so were the people I wanted to vassalise, so I just sucked and hosed my way to a unified Kingdom.

I've actually starting putting the balance towards bisexuality on new games because it's such an effective strategy.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Red_Fred posted:

I moved my capital from Rome to a nearby county that was Sicilian culture so I could covert, after fabricating the claim on it. Then my guy dies and his son is Russian. I didn't realise this and moved my capital back and now I'm back to loving tribal tech....sigh :negative:

There is no other way to do this with my current PC right? I can only move the capital once in a lifetime. I'm thinking I'll wait for a faction to rise and then take the option provided it's Italian or Sicilian.

There's some major decisions that include moving capital as part of a bundle deal, but yea you might have to wait. Alternatively get yourself killed?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Serephina posted:

There's some major decisions that include moving capital as part of a bundle deal, but yea you might have to wait. Alternatively get yourself killed?

Funny you say that. My guy got pneumonia and almost did die but made it through...

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Red_Fred posted:

If it helps, you can always move your realm capital to your primary title's capital. You're probably out of luck if you're an emperor already, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Am I wrong or is Pillage an insanely good legacy

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

zoux posted:

Best in the game.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I've got a save where I made Scandinavian empire on about thirty years to gently caress around with. Recently I discovered becoming Norman by eating French Counties and went Fuedal in 927 and I hate Fuedal! I'm poor and have no use for my Fame as Feudal since I can't afford to maintain the army. I have insane Fame and maxed huscarls so my plan is to raid a lot of money and conquer more using Fame until I have cash reserves for the switch to build money stuff and maybe plan out a Steward heir. Am I missing anything important about this transition?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah feudal is much more limiting. Transitioning is best done by either migrating to somewhere rich, or amassing a huge bank first.

But those limits are kind of necessary, being tribal is so powerful it loses its appeal after a while.

zoux posted:

you are not wrong

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Feudal sucks for Scandanavia because all of your counties are dirt poor and have no development. Thats why tribal your currency is prestige, as its all you've got.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Is there a cleverer way to handle realm losing land when a vassal dies? I usually just take their stuff and eat the tyranny if i can't manufacture some kind of crime, but that seems rough. Especially when they have several holdings.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Frances Nurples posted:

Is there a cleverer way to handle realm losing land when a vassal dies? I usually just take their stuff and eat the tyranny if i can't manufacture some kind of crime, but that seems rough. Especially when they have several holdings.

Depends on the situation. If the other realm is weak, just take it back.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Get to max crown authority is the cleverest, of course, but bear in mind you can also fabricate claims on your vassals land if need be.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

hmmm, what if they are not a direct vassal?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Can't recall if you can retract vassals of a vassal with a claim. Other situational workarounds include: Making the dying idiot get a heir by chucking some 16 y/o girl at them; or seeing if the title has claimants 2nd/3rd in line who are in your realm then just killing the foreign heir(s). Foreign heirs are usually a consequence of instability/conquering and so you're usually in a position to go warmongering/murdering to tie up loose ends.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Retracting vassals always has a tyranny cost, but it's only -5.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

too late, i accidentally became the emperor of the HRE and consequently died of stress but also lol:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Is there a way to prevent a crusade against you from one of your own vassals? The pope is my vassal, has a high opinion of me, I have a strong hook on him, and he is still planning a crusade against me soon. If I arrest him before the crusade sets off can I insta-win the crusade?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think if you own the pope but you're not Catholic, the answer is 'dismantle the papacy' or other major decisions that obliterate him. He's there to mash the crusade button on cooldown, that's his job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

and then things got real weird