Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011

This one is excellent. Short experience, only 4-ish hours, but does a good job of telling its story and doesn't wear out its welcome

Plays like an old school point and click, puzzles are relatively light though do require some experimentation to come to grips with - an assistant character provides hints where needed (particularly in the cases where knowledge of a tool might be needed)

Note that the demo seems to be a much earlier prototype of the full game, and the translation is noticeably better in the full game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Hwurmp posted:

Webbed has released. be a spidie

it's pretty cute and the physics are very solid but very little room for not doing riddles the right way. like the very first ant cog elevator riddle I pushed it down in the water and it became impossible to get out as it kept being blocked so I had to restart the entire game due to checkpoint just saved the game "as is". Or I overlooked something.

need to play more though, movement is fun.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
A couple games that look interesting that I have not bought yet, this first one seems like it doesn't have much game yet, but maybe worth keeping an eye one, it's in early access.

Animalia Survival

quote:

Live as your favourite african animal, choose between being a carnivore, herbivore or omnivore, predator or prey. In this multiplayer ecosystem, with a realistic open world, choose to become a lion, a elephant or even a swift gazelle! But remember, the savannahs law is to survive at any cost!

Also people seemed interested in this when it was announced:

Lost in Random

quote:

Play the odds in Lost in Random™, a gothic-fairy-tale-inspired action-adventure where every citizen’s fate is determined by a roll of the dice.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

haldolium posted:

it's pretty cute and the physics are very solid but very little room for not doing riddles the right way. like the very first ant cog elevator riddle I pushed it down in the water and it became impossible to get out as it kept being blocked so I had to restart the entire game due to checkpoint just saved the game "as is". Or I overlooked something.

need to play more though, movement is fun.

You could lift it out of the water with a bunch of web strands attached to the ceiling.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

From April but I've never seen it mentioned here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1581580/The_Legend_of_BearTruck_Trucker/

quote:

The physics bear driving stacking hauling trading game

What's that? How can it be! Is it a bear that wants to slowly eek out a profit by supplying markets with required commodities in the hopes of some day settling down to a quiet life in post-apocalypse Idaho!?

Drive a truck with incredibly realistic physics and feel the torque of a 5 gear manual transmission. Explore the state of Idaho looking for goods to buy and sell to make a profit.

Stack your stuff carefully, and drive over moderately some hilly terrain!

* Plan your route.
* Load up the truck.
* Put 'er in gear.
* Activate cruise control.
* Pop a root beer.
* Sit back and.. relax?

Explore the 3 corners of Idaho. From the jungles of Benewah county to the badlands of Minidoka county, buy low and sell high up in the mountains of Lemhi county.

Play the Daily Challenges for a daily challenge, and

"Get Trucking!"

I really enjoyed the dev's other game Freeways and this looks similarly cheap and cute/fun.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
https://store.steampowered.com/app/740130/Tales_of_Arise/

Japanese Action RPG from Bandai Namco. Looks very nice at least and seems to have decent reviews if this is your thing

quote:

300 years of tyranny. A mysterious mask. Lost pain and memories. Wield the Blazing Sword and join a mysterious, untouchable girl to fight your oppressors. Experience a tale of liberation, featuring characters with next-gen graphical expressiveness!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1158220/Kraken_Academy/

quote:

Make friends, free spirits and make sure that the world doesn’t end! Welcome to Kraken Academy, a technicolor fever dream that for legal reasons can only be described as "technically a school." Join forces with a magical kraken to manipulate a time loop and save the world.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1303660/Geometric_Sniper/

Basically just a silly little toy game but priced appropriately at under two bucks.

quote:

Immerse yourself in Andrew's story and feel the pressure of being a sniper. Find and eliminate the target in the crowd before he runs away.In living environments, designed exclusively for this fantastic game, you will not have a second chance, precision is everything!

Too many loving games honestly! I haven't even started on the last batch

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Rusty posted:

A couple games that look interesting that I have not bought yet, this first one seems like it doesn't have much game yet, but maybe worth keeping an eye one, it's in early access.

Animalia Survival

Thought i'd seen this before a long time ago.

But no, that was Animallica

a bad game

https://store.steampowered.com/app/638850/Animallica/

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

I'm very interested but also mildly burnt out by deckbuilders- has anyone tried this?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Lost in Random was written by Ryan North if that helps your decision.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Somfin posted:

I'm very interested but also mildly burnt out by deckbuilders- has anyone tried this?

i believe it is more action-adventure than deckbuilder

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i believe it is more action-adventure than deckbuilder

I mostly like deckbuilders for the power ramp sensation, so I might give this a miss

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Hwurmp posted:

You could lift it out of the water with a bunch of web strands attached to the ceiling.

unless I've missed something very obvious this is the only way to elevate objects and gets kinda tedious, still fun though

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

I think he writes most of Zoink's games, including Stick it to the Man and Flipping Death

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/740130/Tales_of_Arise/

Japanese Action RPG from Bandai Namco. Looks very nice at least and seems to have decent reviews if this is your thing

I really hate when a Steam page for a game gives literally no good information about the game, just generic anime action poses/setpieces and vague plot details about "breaking free" and "destined encounters"

I'm going to download the demo purely to see what the game actually looks like/plays like, and maybe get the tiniest crumb of setting/plot. If this game didn't have "Tales of" in the title, I would have dumpstered any interest in it immediately.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Wow, Tales of Arise also has ingame ads for dlc, getting flashbacks to Dragon Age.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
What constitutes an in game ad in this case? I feel like I see what i would consider an ad for DLC a lot on home pages of games so I'm assuming you mean something even more overt.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I don't have the game myself but apparently the ads show up when you rest at a campfire during the game, not just the main menu or whatever.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tagichatn posted:

I don't have the game myself but apparently the ads show up when you rest at a campfire during the game, not just the main menu or whatever.

lmao

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
The ads during the campfire is a button to go the store and a small marquee text of ad copy.

I'd prefer it not being in the game, but also it's fairly ignorable.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah it's basically just a text ticker, Alphen doesn't turn to the camera and say that you should buy swimsuits or anything

Play
Apr 25, 2006

thecluckmeme posted:

I really hate when a Steam page for a game gives literally no good information about the game, just generic anime action poses/setpieces and vague plot details about "breaking free" and "destined encounters"

I'm going to download the demo purely to see what the game actually looks like/plays like, and maybe get the tiniest crumb of setting/plot. If this game didn't have "Tales of" in the title, I would have dumpstered any interest in it immediately.

It's... actually pretty good. Kind of follows that formula that some 3D Japanese RPGs have where you can free roam around the map, then if you touch an enemy you have a battle in a set battleground for each area, separating exploration and combat. There's items, equipment, leveling, skills, etc. It's a lot like that one Final Fantasy where you drive around in the car with your buddies.

The combat is a bit like Devil May Cry, not nearly as involved but you've got normal attacks, dodges, multiple special attacks, combo attacks and some other stuff, which actually keeps it pretty interesting. It's not that hard, but I at least died several times on the first boss until I figured out what to do. Your companions fight automatically according to your set strategy.

There's a lot of story but it has good presentation, lots of voice acting and not just cutscenes but little comic book style interludes. Story seems like pretty standard anima fare, but not bad or anything. Engaging enough. Really it's the first game of this style that I've actually enjoyed a lot, I tried playing several similar games like this but got quickly bored, this one has the presentation, story and combat to keep me interested.

OneDeadman posted:

The ads during the campfire is a button to go the store and a small marquee text of ad copy.

I'd prefer it not being in the game, but also it's fairly ignorable.

Yeah for what it's worth I didn't even notice any advertisement for anything after playing for like 6 hours

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

ultrafilter posted:

I also voice a shitload of character in it. I'm about 7 and a half hours in so far and it's fun.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Aramek posted:

I also voice a shitload of character in it. I'm about 7 and a half hours in so far and it's fun.

You and Ryan are two of my favourite people! Sold!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Lost in Random is fun so far. The combat feels a bit janky, but it's something different and kinda fun. The world building is great and I really hear Ryan North's writing in some of those dialogues.

And I tried the Tales of Arise demo and was just kinda unimpressed. It's pretty and all, but it seems to have the same weaknesses, which made Tales of Beseria feel like a grind, past some point. Maybe the demo is just bad, or your characters aren't leveled well for this point of the game, but the combat just felt boring for some reason.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

This looks cool and flew under the radar: Star Drift Evolution

People are praising it for great racing mechanics, a ton of content, all possible multiplayer options including 4 people split-screen, the nice clean poly look, fitting synthwave soundtrack and the possibility to play it with the camera behind the car or arcade-style from a bird's perspective.

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256846275/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1628777445

Palpek fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 13, 2021

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Palpek posted:

This looks cool and flew under the radar: Star Drift Evolution

Hold the loving phone, how is this NOT made by the same people that did Art of Rally?!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, it's weird how Star Drift came out of early access a month before Art of Rally but it's Art of Rally that's more known (relatively). Being featured on the MS Store definitely boosts Steam sales. Both look good though and are similarly praised.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1490610/METALLIC_CHILD/

Interesting looking, very Japanese action roguelite Metallic Child

quote:

“Grab, hurl, and eliminate” Rogue-lite Core-Action!! A large-scale rebellion erupts within the spacecraft “Life Stream.” With the help of you, Rona, an android known as “Metallic Child,” stands up against a fleet of massive robots to stop the plot devised by her own creator, Doctor Irene.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1517240/LASER_CHESS_Deflection/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256818248/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1626828961

It's chess with lasers

quote:

Obliterate the enemy's king with your laser by strategically moving/rotating mirrors, portals and more in this mind-bending chess-like game. Challenge your friends or battle an AI (includes Level Editor)!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/microtrailers/status/1438189149601902593?s=20

quote:

Key Features
Renovate, run and expand a gas station in the desert.
Build new services like a workshop, shop, warehouse or car wash.
Try to handle everything on your own or hire employees to help out.
Interesting events on top of the normal gameplay.
Lots of customisation and decoration options.
Lots of different customers with varying needs and expectations.
Lots of management options for you to dive into.

I played the demo for this awhile back and remember it being surprisingly compelling if you like stuff like House Flipper and Car Mechanic Simulator.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Timberborn released into EA

quote:

Humans are long gone. Will your lumberpunk beavers do any better? A city-building game featuring ingenious animals, vertical architecture, river control, and deadly droughts. Contains high amounts of wood.

looks like an interesting mix of citybuilding/factorybuilding

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256851731/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1631726716

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Timberborn is also a bit like Terra nil, because it involves using water to rejuvinate a wasteland with lots of planning ahead required. Appropriately it also encourages you to make Dams and Reservoirs for when the dry seasons come, a very thoughtful game it would seem.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

oh wow Skatebird is finally out

https://store.steampowered.com/app/971030/SkateBIRD/

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Is it still as terrible as the demo that was out for Steam Next like 2 years ago? Because it was almost unplayably bad at that point.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
We are discussing Timberborn in the Management thread if people want to know more about the game.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

AirRaid posted:

Is it still as terrible as the demo that was out for Steam Next like 2 years ago? Because it was almost unplayably bad at that point.

Yes, I downloaded it on game pass and it is such a rip on tony hawk yet the control lags and the camera glitches all over the place.

If it was good in the controls and camera it would be fun but nope, it’s awful. I could feel my thps muscle memory kick in only to get hosed by control lag and the camera going bananas.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

StarkRavingMad posted:

https://twitter.com/microtrailers/status/1438189149601902593?s=20

I played the demo for this awhile back and remember it being surprisingly compelling if you like stuff like House Flipper and Car Mechanic Simulator.

This looks like my type of strange. Thank you for posting it!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/microtrailers/status/1438503486501494789?s=20

quote:

Become a legend! Save a run-down circus, gather a troupe of performers, and dare to defy the greatest showmen on earth - P.T Barnum, Buffalo Bill, and more!
Recruit and train over 15 different types of circus artists
Take part in exciting battles on the circus arena using the beautifully illustrated collectible cards
Upgrade your circus caravan thanks to different types of wagons offering over 100 possible modifications
Meet both historical and fictional characters deeply embedded in American folklore, such as John D. Rockefeller, Susan B. Anthony, or Nikola Tesla
Immerse yourself in a story taking place during the turbulent era of the fading Wild West and enter the beautiful and dark world of Native American folklore and the immigrant populace
Listen to a unique soundtrack inspired by classic circus music and American country & folk

A deckbuilder where instead of killing stuff, the object is to build a dope circus that entertains fans. I haven't tried this yet, but I've had my eye on this one from awhile.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

StarkRavingMad posted:

https://twitter.com/microtrailers/status/1438503486501494789?s=20

A deckbuilder where instead of killing stuff, the object is to build a dope circus that entertains fans. I haven't tried this yet, but I've had my eye on this one from awhile.

I've had this wishlisted on PSN for a while. I'd be interested to hear if it delivers on the concept!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1741120/Fantasy_General/

It's 5 bucks

quote:

Fantasy General invites you to enter a world of heroes, swords, magic and beasts. You must lead your army into battle with the Shadowlord’s forces and defeat each of his lieutenants across varying terrain and battlefields.

quote:

Fantasy General includes the "Island Challenge" add-on.

For over a century, the world of Aer was a place of peace, joy and prosperity. Through advances in technology and magic, its inhabitants created a harmonious society, rid of disease, destruction and evil. All was well within the land of Aer... Until the Shadowlord came. Once a mere man with a voracious thirst for knowledge and power, the Shadowlord explored where no other dared, forsaking his humanity for absolute control. Summoning forth creatures of evil and attracting the most despicable of men, he created a powerful army and conquered Aer, engulfing it in pain, suffering and death. With the populace kept weak and divided through brutality and fear, few dare to openly challenge his reign. But now, The Council of Five, a leadership of Aer’s wisest rulers and mages, has selected a powerful general to unite its people and challenge the Shadowlord’s rule. With magic, beasts, mortals and mechs at your disposal, you must construct and lead your army across the lands of Aer, defeating the Shadowlord’s forces and generals.. Join the battle and restore peace and happiness to this broken world.

Fantasy General is the third instalment in Strategic Simulations’ Five Star General Series, and invites you to leave the trenches of World War II and enter a world of heroes, swords, magic and beasts. As a turn-based strategy game, you must lead your army into battle with the Shadowlord’s forces and defeat each of his lieutenants across varying terrain and battlefields. Build your army from the ground up, research upgrades to strengthen your forces, and augment your army with items and heroes who will aid you in your plight. With an atmospheric choral soundtrack, a user-friendly, point-and-click interface and engaging strategic gameplay, this contrasting addition to the Five Star General Series will have you hooked from the opening cinematic and will keep you plotting and battling to the very end.

- Battle the Shadowlord’s forces and lieutenants across 5 continents
- Choose your general from four champions, each with its unique traits and abilities
- Customise and upgrade your army, with over 10 unit classes and four races to recruit from
- Uncover hidden items and heroes to upgrade your troops and lead your army
- Choose from three game modes: Campaign, Scenarios and Local Multiplayer

e: so is this one

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1741130/Pacific_General/

quote:

Pacific General explores the Pacific front of the Second World War. Taking control of Axis or Allied forces, you must strategically battle your way through the Eastern and Western front of the Pacific war, using a wide array of land, air and naval forces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I keep seeing screenshots of circus game where I am like "oh this looks potentially tasteless"