Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Ok, it sounds like they'll have a 20x20 patch of dead grass until it's time to mow the lawn again, or maybe a little longer. That seems reasonable, only a temporary minor inconvenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

rdb posted:

Did a little mowing today and hosed up.

Sometimes I don't know if its better to have 4wd in this situation. My MF65 has a posi lever to lock the diff but I've never been able to get it that stuck. I'm impressed.

I have a 18" metal culvert that's partially crushed I need to replace. I'm trying to make sure I have everything figured out before starting anything.

There is about 200ft of ditch from the property line to the culvert and on the other side there is a pond with a ditch leading out of it, there is also a gas line that runs under the ditch at some point. Both the ditch and pond has mostly filled in from sediment and need to be cleared back out. I know I need to get diggers out before I start and because its in wetlands I need to let the DNR know but I do not need any permits based on what I read on the WI DNR website. I plan to do a basic survey of the area after I clear out all the brush mostly so the new culvert inlet and outlet are at the same elevation as the old. I was planning on renting a backhoe loader for a week and have a baby dump to help move materials.

Am I missing anything, I'm planning on borrowing a brushcutter to clear the area and find the fiberglass markers for the gas line this weekend. I'm not as concerned about the pond as I am with fixing the culvert or ditch, I have almost an acre of unusable land right now because of the culvert and sediment in the ditch.

If I took the brushog out there I'd be submitting my own stuck tractor picture tomorrow.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpeedFreek posted:

Sometimes I don't know if its better to have 4wd in this situation.

I' a big fan of running a 2wd as an indication of "uh oh, gonna get stuck" and being able to back out in 4wd.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

SpeedFreek posted:

Sometimes I don't know if its better to have 4wd in this situation. My MF65 has a posi lever to lock the diff but I've never been able to get it that stuck. I'm impressed.

I have a 18" metal culvert that's partially crushed I need to replace. I'm trying to make sure I have everything figured out before starting anything.

There is about 200ft of ditch from the property line to the culvert and on the other side there is a pond with a ditch leading out of it, there is also a gas line that runs under the ditch at some point. Both the ditch and pond has mostly filled in from sediment and need to be cleared back out. I know I need to get diggers out before I start and because its in wetlands I need to let the DNR know but I do not need any permits based on what I read on the WI DNR website. I plan to do a basic survey of the area after I clear out all the brush mostly so the new culvert inlet and outlet are at the same elevation as the old. I was planning on renting a backhoe loader for a week and have a baby dump to help move materials.

Am I missing anything, I'm planning on borrowing a brushcutter to clear the area and find the fiberglass markers for the gas line this weekend. I'm not as concerned about the pond as I am with fixing the culvert or ditch, I have almost an acre of unusable land right now because of the culvert and sediment in the ditch.

If I took the brushog out there I'd be submitting my own stuck tractor picture tomorrow.

I am in Indiana, if I need to clear a ditch, plow a road, grade a dirt road, I just go do it. The county commissioners said they appreciate it when farmers help out. WI is probably different and you should find out before you do anything. Its probably their responsibility to maintain the culvert if it goes under a road or clean the ditch anyways. Or maybe its a rural drainage district like in Illinois. I have no idea there.

As far as that incident is concerned, I just got the PTO shaft fixed this week. Local place had to cut and weld in new tubing, replace the rear u joint and put a guard on it. So its back in business. Took a month and cost $250 for the driveshaft work.

4wd really helps on the hills. This property is so steep that turning would really be an issue without the weight of the loader and front wheel assist. Yeah, you can get really stuck. But its out. And in this case, it was the sheer weight of the tractor (over 20,000lbs with the loader, fluid in the tires, wheel weights and the batwing) that made it difficult to recover. 4wd or not that much weight requires something big to pull it out. I got lucky and was able to use the loader to push it enough to get moving again.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
It's all well within my property boundaries, the ditch is named on some maps and runs dry every summer but from what I can tell its my responsibility to maintain. I need to check the village and county rules again but the DNR rules indicate if its maintenance I don't need any permits as long as its not changed but there was something about informing them of the work if its in a wetland area.

I'm completely pro 4wd on a tractor and the only reason I don't have a tractor like yours is I can't afford or justify one, from what I can tell your land is pretty rough. Still anything I ever got stuck was twice as stuck it it was 4wd.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Turns out what is killing my lawn isn't any kind of fungus but Army Worms. There's an epidemic of them around here. I edged my yard and there were just handfuls of the caterpillars crawling around on the sidewalk afterwards. As additional evidence, I was down at some trails a few miles away and all the grass looked the exact same as mine does.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SpartanIvy posted:

Turns out what is killing my lawn isn't any kind of fungus but Army Worms. There's an epidemic of them around here. I edged my yard and there were just handfuls of the caterpillars crawling around on the sidewalk afterwards. As additional evidence, I was down at some trails a few miles away and all the grass looked the exact same as mine does.

Yep Army Worms are everywhere!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

Oh, then try this: https://www.domyown.com/talstar-professional-insecticide-p-97.html

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Already got a bottle, but for this I put down some general purpose grub granules since it was easier than pulling out my sprayer and rain was in the forecast to water it in. Looks like it already killed them off, but I'll do some more checks throughout the week. If I still see activity I'll lug out the sprayer and mix up some Talstar.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Do any of y'all have an effective treatment for chiggers? My back yard is just infested with them, and Deepwoods Off or not I will get terribly itchy bites along my ankles, waist, and groin when I go in the yard.

I'm sure there are some insecticides out there that will kill them, but I don't necessarily want to go and kill bees and other pollinators at the same time.

I'm in central Texas where we have gotten quite a bit of rain this summer and my property backs up to a wooded area. I keep my lawn cut pretty short, but that hasn't had much effect.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MetaJew posted:

Do any of y'all have an effective treatment for chiggers? My back yard is just infested with them, and Deepwoods Off or not I will get terribly itchy bites along my ankles, waist, and groin when I go in the yard.

I'm sure there are some insecticides out there that will kill them, but I don't necessarily want to go and kill bees and other pollinators at the same time.

I'm in central Texas where we have gotten quite a bit of rain this summer and my property backs up to a wooded area. I keep my lawn cut pretty short, but that hasn't had much effect.

See my above post: Talstar P. It's labeled for chigger control among a ton of other stuff.

It should not kill pollinators if it's applied correctly: to your lawn only, where the chiggers reside. Bees aren't going to land in your lawn unless there are pollen producing flowers in it, which is a different issue.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

MetaJew posted:

When I was a kid, when we visited places with chiggers, my mom dusted flowers of sulphur in my sock tops. It works. https://www.lsonews.com/craig-nyhus-28/

e: The tree service is here with the massive tree-scale chipper to get rid of a lot of overgrown fire-hazard rosemary. I went outside for about five minutes to take a picture of the chipper, and now my ears are ringing.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 18, 2021

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

When I was a kid, when we visited places with chiggers, my mom dusted flowers of sulphur in my sock tops. It works. https://www.lsonews.com/craig-nyhus-28/

I've read about sulphur and also people eating some small quantity of a sulphurous compound for similar purposes, but I also have no idea where you would buy sulphur to dust yourself with.

This article also claims that DEET works better and either my infestation is next level, or that's just not true. I've been bit whether I spray my skin and clothes with DEET containing bug repellant or not.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 18, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Drugstores used to have sulfur; I hear some garden stores do, too. Then there's Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Cruz-Sulfur-Powder-Grade-Packed/dp/B01MZ6YJQ2

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
4oz for $13 or…

Lowes

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Trying to cut a trail through an overgrown area; went through with a brush hog but now have a lot of foot-high 1/2" - 1 1/2" diameter woody spikes and stumps. I want to maintain as much grassy cover and topology as possible, so I don't want to scrape or plow. I think trail builders would tell me to use a mattock or a weed wrench (https://www.ecolandscaping.org/07/resources/product-reviews/product-review-weed-wrench/), but I'd really like to have something I could hook up to a tractor. Any thoughts on if I have a lot of these to deal with?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

PCjr sidecar posted:

Trying to cut a trail through an overgrown area; went through with a brush hog but now have a lot of foot-high 1/2" - 1 1/2" diameter woody spikes and stumps. I want to maintain as much grassy cover and topology as possible, so I don't want to scrape or plow. I think trail builders would tell me to use a mattock or a weed wrench (https://www.ecolandscaping.org/07/resources/product-reviews/product-review-weed-wrench/), but I'd really like to have something I could hook up to a tractor. Any thoughts on if I have a lot of these to deal with?
You can either keep bush hogging and eventually the grass will take over and the little stumps will die and rot, or run over it all with one of those mulcher things that go on the front of a Bobcat and then mow regularly.

You need to mow it at least once a year in fall in perpetuity, but if you also mow once in early summer after stuff has put out it's new growth it will kill the little trees pretty quickly as they will exhaust their energy reserves in a hurry.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

PCjr sidecar posted:

Spent lots of time doing this. Go over it again with the bush hog as low as it will go, and then spray with 2-4D/Crossbow a couple times a year when stuff grows back until they die and rot. It will take a while for the broadleaf seed bank to deplete. If you want to rip them out there are teeth that you can put on a loader bucket that will rip stumps up but you will still need to spray and mow to keep things clear.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I usually run motorcycles through after I clear the trail then keep running them through after that, does the trick of keeping the brush from coming back. You can try ripping all of little sticks out but keeping it cut back and waiting is the easiest way.

If you have free woodchips you can throw them down on your paths, I get them dropped off by tree services and the village or county sometimes will drop loads off.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I'm half tempted to give up learning how to edge with a weed whacker and getting an edger. I keep scalping the gently caress out of the grass. Is there just a steeper than normal learning curve for this? Getting a strap has helped control it better, but I still don't feel like I can trim in a straight line.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just get the edger, it will look 100x better and be a lot easier to use. There’s probably one available in whatever battery system you use.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm half tempted to give up learning how to edge with a weed whacker and getting an edger. I keep scalping the gently caress out of the grass. Is there just a steeper than normal learning curve for this? Getting a strap has helped control it better, but I still don't feel like I can trim in a straight line.

You have to walk backwards/left to right if you're doing it with a weedeater. It's impossible to do while walking forwards. IME it's easier with a straight shaft weedeater than a curved shaft one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Turn the head of your weed whacker sideways and string in a single super long piece. Cuts a really nice edge without buying another tool.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

My weed whacker has a swivel in the middle of the shaft that lets you rotate the head 180 degrees, so that the string will a now running in a plane perpendicular to the ground when the tool is held normally. Pretty handy. I’d still like to get an electric power head that will work with the quick-link edger attachment I have for my old gas string trimmer. I can do OK with the string, but it’s never as good as the blade, and the string wears quickly working against the edge of the concrete.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
We have a corded edger that I only use maybe 2-3x a year. Does a way better job than the string trimmer, but I can't be bothered to drag it out most of the time.

But drat, the string trimmer just eats string like crazy when edging. No matter how good you are, you will grind against the concrete/whatever you're edging by.

That said, we have the 80V kobalt battery system for lawn stuff, and they have an edger... might be time to trade up. We have bermuda so it just creeps all over and makes edges look like crap after a week or two.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

DaveSauce posted:

We have a corded edger that I only use maybe 2-3x a year.

devmd01 posted:

smdh if you don’t edge every single time

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

They’re saying that they usually uses the string trimmer because the corded edger is a pain in the rear end.

E: fixed gender assuming.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

In my former landscaping days we only used the (gas) edger for remedial work/first time at a job. Edging with a string trimmer is not hard, especially if you are consistent with it every time you mow/trim. It's a hell of a lot faster too.

Spin that thing around, tilt it up and walk backwards at full throttle. Done.

If you're worried about how much line you use you probably have a lovely head and/or need to learn how to wrap line properly.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Darchangel posted:

They’re saying that they usually uses the string trimmer because the corded edger is a pain in the rear end.

E: fixed gender assuming.

I still don't do it every time I mow :ssh:

edit:

Motronic posted:

If you're worried about how much line you use you probably have a lovely head and/or need to learn how to wrap line properly.

Really it's just the fact that you're edging against (presumably) concrete/hardscape/etc., rather than trimming around a mulch bed or some other softer landscaping. I'm sure if you do it all day every day you get good enough where you're not hitting the concrete as much, but for me edging eats way more string compared to just trimming around normal stuff.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 24, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

Really it's just the fact that you're edging against (presumably) concrete/hardscape/etc., rather than trimming around a mulch bed or some other softer landscaping. I'm sure if you do it all day every day you get good enough where you're not hitting the concrete as much, but for me edging eats way more string compared to just trimming around normal stuff.

There's definitely an element of getting better at it, but the key isn't so much your "aim" (and depth control) but the speed at which you do it. Once the edges are in good shape you're at a fast walk backwards so even if you're cocking it all up you're not going to use much string.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah speed at which you can progress *and* speed of the throttle is important. I have great control and was still chewing through string... Then someone (prob Motronic) said just do it at half throttle. String lasts much longer now and end effect is the same!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Then someone (prob Motronic) said just do it at half throttle. String lasts much longer now and end effect is the same!

That wasn't me, I got full throttle, but I'm also MOVING. Partial throttle sounds like a good idea while you're getting the hang of it.

I really need to take a video and show some pictures of what I'm talking about. It's hard to describe what a proper curb cut looks like to make sure you're starting with the right thing. If you're not, you need to use an edger or burn of that trimmer line until you get there. Maintenance becomes easy after that.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I want to set up a sprinkler system in the garden bed in front of my house. I don't necessarily care about it being buried. When I research ways to install above ground sprinkler systems, I'm seeing some that use regular garden hose, and some that use PVC. Which would be better for my scenario?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

I want to set up a sprinkler system in the garden bed in front of my house.

If it's for your garden you're almost certainly better off with drip irrigation than some kind of sprinkler system, which is probably why you're not getting very useful results. There's PVC that gets used for supply lines and stuff but most of the actual irrigation tubing is polyethylene now as far as I know. The simplest option is probably to get an adapter to go from a threaded hose to 1/2" drip line (even with a filter built in these are $2 at lowesdepot) and just get an inline timer. Might need some T fittings depending on how large the garden is.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 26, 2021

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Sorry, I should have clarified. I am setting up drip irrigation for the flower bed, but the sprinklers would be to water the lawn. Can I use the 1/2 inch hose to install the sprinkler?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Motronic posted:

That wasn't me, I got full throttle, but I'm also MOVING. Partial throttle sounds like a good idea while you're getting the hang of it.

I really need to take a video and show some pictures of what I'm talking about. It's hard to describe what a proper curb cut looks like to make sure you're starting with the right thing. If you're not, you need to use an edger or burn of that trimmer line until you get there. Maintenance becomes easy after that.

Oh I move at a good clip but my aggregate concrete would still eat the string like crazy. I've been edging with my weed eater for 10 years so I got it down pat.

The problem for me was waiting too long and the grass creeping back over the edge. And it was uneven at the edges so there was always some exploratory edging that had to be done.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

Sorry, I should have clarified. I am setting up drip irrigation for the flower bed, but the sprinklers would be to water the lawn. Can I use the 1/2 inch hose to install the sprinkler?

Depends on what kind of heads you're using/how big the lawn in. They make emitters for drip irrigation that are basically small sprinklers on spikes—most of them (I think) will take 1/4" which you could branch off 1/2" with a barb.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Wallet posted:

Depends on what kind of heads you're using/how big the lawn in. They make emitters for drip irrigation that are basically small sprinklers on spikes—most of them (I think) will take 1/4" which you could branch off 1/2" with a barb.

My front lawn is about 46 by 35 with a tree in one corner of the lot. I'm currently using two impact sprinklers which seem to do the job adequately. I have given up on trying to keep the sidewalk out of the door dry. I just let the two sprinkler heads overlap.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

My front lawn is about 46 by 35 with a tree in one corner of the lot. I'm currently using two impact sprinklers which seem to do the job adequately. I have given up on trying to keep the sidewalk out of the door dry. I just let the two sprinkler heads overlap.

1/2" should be fine to supply them over that kind of distance (up to ~200 feet) but obviously you'd have to use an adapter if they want a threaded connection or whatever. As far as overlap/watering the sidewalk I don't know if they make above ground heads with an adjustable stop but they probably do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Not sure where to put this. I admit I didn't look very hard for a tree thread.

I know that Cherry seeds need to be frozen (like over the winter) before they will sprout, or at least thats what I've read in a few places. So they can be frozen and still be viable once thawed.
But what about other seeds? I'm talking Acorns, Maple Keys, Walnuts etc. Do they "still work" after being frozen?

Is there a limit as to how long they can be frozen and still be viable?

Asking because I'm looking at buying a piece of land. When that will happen I'm not sure. Hopefully in the next few years, but...........? I'm hoping to collect some seeds from the woodlot beside my parent's house and plant them bitches when I find myself my own little piece of paradise.