Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
DUSTIN VS BLACK 26 18.31%
HAYTER VS RUBY 27 19.01%
PINNACLE VS DARK ORDER 7 4.93%
HOBBS VS DANTE 48 33.80%
MOX VS SUZUKI 34 23.94%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I’m watching the matrix for the first time, AEW should have a Matrix themed wrestler, or possibly an entire Matrix stable. Who would be in the Matrix stable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Cage is peak for a guy who should take his twilight years to Mexico, he is a perfect base for lucha guys to do poo poo on, his excessive hamminess works better, and they'd likely strap rockets to him as often as possible.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

NienNunb posted:

I’m watching the matrix for the first time, AEW should have a Matrix themed wrestler, or possibly an entire Matrix stable. Who would be in the Matrix stable?

Dustin, Greg, Orange, Wheeler, Kris, Riho, Ruby, and Swole

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

NienNunb posted:

No one can be told who is in the Matrix stable . . . you have to see it for yourself.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NienNunb posted:

Fenix. He defies gravity regularly.

Actually everyone in Death Triangle.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

NienNunb posted:

The Matrix Stable is just TH2.

Big Queefy
Jan 27, 2013

NienNunb posted:

You'd finally have something for Brian Cage to do as the Machine(s)

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The second one hour AEW show should be all different Matrix stables going to war with each other. Just wrestling and cyber goth dances under overpasses

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Cage could benefit from a new gimmick or something to make him more interesting. I like his matches, but I don't think I've ever said "where is Brian Cage? This needs more Brian Cage." He's a veteran at this point, so it's kind of on him to do something more if he wants something more.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
AAA knows what's up and just slaps a thanos mask on Cage. That's all you need.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I am sure that no matter how much tony khan spends on his personal super smash brothers, the billionaire will still have billions, because capitalism works that way for the wealthiest

Besides, if TNT isn't underwriting some portions of those contracts under the mentality of popping ratings, I'll be shocked

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
AEW is not yet three years old, on their first TV deal, still growing in terms of mainstream awareness etc etc. Unless they are facing a firm constraint they shouldn’t (and won’t, these aren’t idiots) be managing to cash flow positivity instead of growing the business. This is a media entity looking for a jackpot rights deal not a wrestling promotion

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Lid posted:

Cage is peak for a guy who should take his twilight years to Mexico, he is a perfect base for lucha guys to do poo poo on, his excessive hamminess works better, and they'd likely strap rockets to him as often as possible.

So basically pull a Mark Jindrak?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

NienNunb posted:

I’m watching the matrix for the first time, AEW should have a Matrix themed wrestler

It's been done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgKTB2XpdiY

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

luchadornado posted:

Cage could benefit from a new gimmick or something to make him more interesting. I like his matches, but I don't think I've ever said "where is Brian Cage? This needs more Brian Cage." He's a veteran at this point, so it's kind of on him to do something more if he wants something more.

Also he desperately needs to change up his personal style. The haircut and wolverine beard is super 00’s and makes him look like a 13 year old’s CAW. It make it harder for me to take him seriously as a threat.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

I saw some Instagram comments where Cage was complaining about getting his promos cut and never getting a chance to talk, it seems really dumb to be so open about issues like that when responding to random fans but wrestlers are dumb. Brian Cage seems like a nice guy so hopefully it works out.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Actually wait give the Best Friends the Matrix gimmick just so they can recreate this video:

https://twitter.com/juicelessadriel/status/1435278162393456641?s=20

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Vandar posted:

Actually wait give the Best Friends the Matrix gimmick just so they can recreate this video:

https://twitter.com/juicelessadriel/status/1435278162393456641?s=20

lots of references to runners but none to Outrunners

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

NienNunb posted:

The second one hour AEW show should be all different Matrix stables going to war with each other. Just wrestling and cyber goth dances under overpasses

This is all I've ever wanted out of wrestling.

My matrix stable would be Orange, Dante, Statlander, and Kiera Hogan.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Konnan5150/status/1437155014674321412

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

TK knows what he's doing - Punk has reportedly already paid for himself, Danielson will soon enough just through buys and brand awareness jumps and Big Paul has multiple roles that he contributes to the company outside of the ring - all of these big signings bring huge value and it's gonna be fine

Its funny when people online act like Tony is some money mark off the street that has never run the talent portion of an organization before when the dudes been crunching sports numbers for a decade

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Matrix stable should feud with the superior Dark City stable and really bring back the early 2000s forum wars leading into the main event Tool vs Radiohead match.

Edit: They could even get Jennifer Connelly to cross promote with the train show.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Orange Carlisle posted:

TK knows what he's doing - Punk has reportedly already paid for himself, Danielson will soon enough just through buys and brand awareness jumps and Big Paul has multiple roles that he contributes to the company outside of the ring - all of these big signings bring huge value and it's gonna be fine

Its funny when people online act like Tony is some money mark off the street that has never run the talent portion of an organization before when the dudes been crunching sports numbers for a decade

Plus he doesn't have the additional costs involved with running a house show circuit, they just run Dynamite and the other TV tapings (and the occasional live Rampage) and PPV.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Just seems like Dave is putting him into the same league as like a Billy Corgan with this WCW comparison and that's a huge mistake

WCW signed a ton of dead weight that had no value - like 20 of them were signed to huge contracts because they were Hulk Hogan's friends and they did nothing for years

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
It's insane to think at this point but AEW's spent 2/3rds of it's existence in the middle of ongoing pandemic that's made it hard for people to travel or gather and yet somehow the only thing putting them in the red is that they spent a lot of money on a video game project.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Plus he doesn't have the additional costs involved with running a house show circuit, they just run Dynamite and the other TV tapings (and the occasional live Rampage) and PPV.

A house show circuit is additional profit not cost unless you suck at wrestling.

But let's just look at All Out. If you figure they would have done 125,000 buys for a normal PPV at this point, they did a minimum of 80,000 buys above that. So that's a minimum of 1.9 million in additional revenue from the PPV component!

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
lol at the idea that talent budget is going to be an issue when TK dropped 8 figgies on video game development and that is most certainly the biggest risk they've taken so far

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

lol at the idea that talent budget is going to be an issue when TK dropped 8 figgies on video game development and that is most certainly the biggest risk they've taken so far

The total dollar figure commitment to Danielson, Punk, Wight, Cole and Christian is probably well into 8 figures. Punk himself might be close to 10 million if it's a 3 year deal at the kind of money they offered Jericho/Edge. (And probably more!)

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Wait until he drops 6 billion on buying WWE, that's really going to pop some heads

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

The Matrix stable should feud with the superior Dark City stable and really bring back the early 2000s forum wars leading into the main event Tool vs Radiohead match.

Edit: They could even get Jennifer Connelly to cross promote with the train show.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's Jaguars and Fulham fans jealous of AEW whispering poison into Dave's ears.

I refuse to believe that there are any sort of fans for the Jags. :colbert:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Punk's over 40 and has a 7-year gap in his resume, so he's probably just working for exposure - hoping someone somewhere will take a chance on him.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I have crunched the numbers and AEW will be profitable if they release Jake Hager.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's gonna be sad when Urban Meyer gets fired or quits before the mid point of the season as I want to see how'd they work him into the next Stadium Stampede as a heel

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

luchadornado posted:

Punk's over 40 and has a 7-year gap in his resume, so he's probably just working for exposure - hoping someone somewhere will take a chance on him.

List of WWE main eventers, only main eventers, older than Punk:

Sheamus
AJ Styles
Brock Lesnar
John Cena
Bobby Lashley
Edge
Goldberg

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

MassRafTer posted:

A house show circuit is additional profit not cost unless you suck at wrestling.

Is this true? I know Mox himself said he spoke to TK about house shows specifically and Khan said they didn't make financial sense and that's why AEW doesn't do them. WWE has been losing money on house shows (or at least was pre-pandemic) for a while.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

SonicRulez posted:

Is this true? I know Mox himself said he spoke to TK about house shows specifically and Khan said they didn't make financial sense and that's why AEW doesn't do them. WWE has been losing money on house shows (or at least was pre-pandemic) for a while.

Constant house shows are kind of insane, really. 2 shows a week is heaps.

The logistics alone is a massive hassle, but I can see it being really hard to get fans consistently excited for shows that are explicitly not special.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

WWE has been losing money on house shows (or at least was pre-pandemic) for a while.

MassRafTer posted:

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Who is the Horace Hogan of AEW? Who's THE DISCIPLE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Brock Anderson and I don't know, Brandon Cutler?

I take it back, Shawn Spears is a better Disciple