Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

was thinking this as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ultravoices posted:

is it voltaren creme then?

its a gel. rub it on 4 times a day for three weeks

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Mr. Nice! posted:

do you not?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
my favorite band is the butthole scorchers

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

President Beep posted:

my favorite band is the butthole scorchers

mikey had a laser scar, bobby was a racist
they were all in love with hair removal and they were doing it in texas.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ultravoices posted:

mikey had a laser scar, bobby was a racist
they were all in love with hair removal and they were doing it in texas.

I DONT MIND THE STENCH SOMETIMES AND THE IMAGES IT SHOWS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

you never know just how it looks when you laser your browneye

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

god drat lmao

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Captain Foo posted:

god drat lmao

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i started using voltaren a couple days ago. this morning, for the first time in months, i was able to button large button without my hands hurting. then it absolutely destroyed my stomach and i felt nauseous for hours.

rip me. time for an epsom salts bath.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i noticed this morning my lower back finally wasn't hurting anymore. i tweaked it back in early july lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Hiram Grewgious posted:

i started using voltaren a couple days ago. this morning, for the first time in months, i was able to button large button without my hands hurting. then it absolutely destroyed my stomach and i felt nauseous for hours.

rip me. time for an epsom salts bath.

oof sorry bud. i'm in the same boat. they also make an oral one that has a special coating that may help you but i think that's prescription only

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
most people think food is the answer to nsaids hurting stomach but it’s water. well, fluids. drink lots and pee lots. if you can get some omeprazole that’ll help.

long term it’s a bit more hard to deal with but acutely it’s ok

also voltaren is not more effective than naproxen or ibuprofen, it’s the dosages that matter, and a lot of people find naproxen easier side effects wise.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Kenny Logins posted:

i noticed this morning my lower back finally wasn't hurting anymore. i tweaked it back in early july lol

i looked too far and too fast to the left yesterday now my neck hurts and prolly will for like 10 days

getting old owns

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

echinopsis posted:

most people think food is the answer to nsaids hurting stomach but it’s water. well, fluids. drink lots and pee lots. if you can get some omeprazole that’ll help.

long term it’s a bit more hard to deal with but acutely it’s ok

also voltaren is not more effective than naproxen or ibuprofen, it’s the dosages that matter, and a lot of people find naproxen easier side effects wise.

even naproxen nails me :(

isn't ibuprofen harder on your stomach but easier on your heart than voltaren (diclofenac)? or vice versa?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

for me it's definitely food that helps, water does nothing and coffee of course makes it way worse. i have tested this experimentally too many times. only the once with voltaren, but when i was climbing all the time i went through a lot of advil

good call on naproxen though!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i feel like otc naproxen doesn't work for me like at all. wish it did

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

did someone say coffee?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

No.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
sharin sharon's outlook on the topic of disease

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
last post before dnd probe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n7SsH0fsYs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kenny Logins posted:

i feel like otc naproxen doesn't work for me like at all. wish it did

of course there is interpersonal variations but nsaids in theory are all as efficacious as each other, if the doses are met

the max doses of nsaids, at prescription levels are

naproxen 1250mg
diclofenac 150mg
ibuprofen 2400mg

but if you’re following OTC guidelines you might take half this and so it seems like one works less than the other . regardless none are good for you and diclofenac is probably the worst, somewhat because people tend to take closer to that max daily dose whereas OTC ibuprofens dose leads to half the max daily dose, so ends up being far safer

this isn’t advice to take more btw. just idk something to know about

Hiram Grewgious posted:

for me it's definitely food that helps, water does nothing and coffee of course makes it way worse. i have tested this experimentally too many times. only the once with voltaren, but when i was climbing all the time i went through a lot of advil

good call on naproxen though!

that is interesting.

if you can get it on prescription, there are drugs like celecoxib which are far easier on the stomach. and one should probably take paracetamol/acetaminophen as well anyway to get as much bang for your buck

and i’ve said this dozens of times.. if you’ve got joint pain look at stuff like hemp seed oil. my customers have come back with very good anecdotal stories of it helping them a lot and reducing their reliance on nsaids. anecdotal evidence is meant to be worthless but on the other hand people don’t come back to the store to tell me something works if it doesn’t

Apr 7, 2003

echinopsis posted:

of course there is interpersonal variations but nsaids in theory are all as efficacious as each other, if the doses are met

naproxen 1250mg
diclofenac 150mg
ibuprofen 2400mg

but if you’re following OTC guidelines you might take half this and so it seems like one works less than the other . regardless none are good for you and diclofenac is probably the worst, somewhat because people tend to take closer to that max daily dose whereas OTC ibuprofens dose leads to half the max daily dose, so ends up being far safer

that is interesting.

if you can get it on prescription, there are drugs like celecoxib which are far easier on the stomach. and one should probably take paracetamol/acetaminophen as well anyway to get as much bang for your buck

and i’ve said this dozens of times.. if you’ve got joint pain look at stuff like hemp seed oil. my customers have come back with very good anecdotal stories of it helping them a lot and reducing their reliance on nsaids. anecdotal evidence is meant to be worthless but on the other hand people don’t come back to the store to tell me something works if it doesn’t

I'm 41 years old and have never taken any of this poo poo for joint pain

Apr 7, 2003

My bicycle experience with my left hip arthritis is "ride for a half hour and the pain goes away."

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

echinopsis posted:

and i’ve said this dozens of times.. if you’ve got joint pain look at stuff like hemp seed oil

for me its not the joints its the sinew poo poo around it. a c/w recommended magnesium something ?

Apr 7, 2003

If someone can recommend something that helps joints I'll take it.

Until something works I'm going to assume that there's nothing that helps, once your poo poo stops working that's it until you die, and that's what evidence supports.

At some point your body gives out and that's it.

Best to accept and deal with that. Find a new hobby, like pulling weeds.

That said I feel loving great at 41. Riding my bike all over.

Apr 7, 2003

I'm willing to accept science *(lmao), at this point in time there's a lot of "this pill will make you be normal again ((without exercise))".

I'll take the exercise.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

If someone can recommend something that helps joints I'll take it.

Until something works I'm going to assume that there's nothing that helps, once your poo poo stops working that's it until you die, and that's what evidence supports.

At some point your body gives out and that's it.

Best to accept and deal with that. Find a new hobby, like pulling weeds.

That said I feel loving great at 41. Riding my bike all over.

new joints or maybe dying.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

I dunno, I was pushed off a fuckin building and I bounced back well enough.

My secret? Prayer and clean living.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I dunno, I was pushed off a fuckin building and I bounced back well enough.

how high tho?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

President Beep posted:

how high tho?
I'm not entirely sure but I started out on the 6th floor fire escape. I might have gotten pitched off from a lower floor or hit this weird little catwalk(?) thing on the way down

Honestly all I know is that I went out to have a cigarette and next thing I know I'm in the hospital. It's fuckin weird.

I definitely saw where I landed, tho.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah, that’s very hosed up. didn’t know it’d been intentional.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

President Beep posted:

yeah, that’s very hosed up. didn’t know it’d been intentional.
I can't be 100% positive, but I had noticed someone following me around a while before, the hotel is legendarily hosed and my phone ended up in the possession of a crack dealer named Marvin who didn't wipe the phone so when I got it replaced there were a few dozen photos and a copy of Corrine Bailey Rae's Put Your Records On on my cloudy whatnot so the math is pretty simple

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

graph posted:

for me its not the joints its the sinew poo poo around it. a c/w recommended magnesium something ?

not sure what that’s about

the principle behind the hemp seed oil is that your body manufacturers inflammatory signal things from omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, and you can skew the production toward less inflammatory signal things by having a higher omega 3 to 6 ratio in your diet

you can do this by adding omega 3 with poo poo like fish oil and or reducing omega 6 intake primarily thru improving the quality of cooking oil - ie use olive oil
not canola or whatever

if hemp seeds oil is better beyond simply its fats ratio idk but its the one that gets the best feedback. plus unlike drugs it utterly safe to take

there’s a solid biochemistry reason why this works. and it’s probably that a high omega 6 diet is a product of the industrial age and probably not very “natural” as well

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

naproxen 1250mg
diclofenac 150mg
ibuprofen 2400mg

that is interesting.

gonna double my ibuprofen dosage. thanks echi

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i used to cycle for 20 to 30 hours per week in my early 20s. also i rollerbladed (lol) a lot on top of that. then i got osteoarthritis in my knees and then learned about overtraining and how i should have been mixing in (more) weight training. i'd say don't be like me but i'm assuming the few young yosposters we have don't post in here...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

also, too much ibuprofen can do a number on your kidneys

metformin too

don't ask me how I know

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the most important thing to protect your kidneys with nsaids is to make sure fluids are up! dont let yourself get dehydrated and it's not too bad

exercise and nsaids can be a very bad combo because on some level during exercise the body reduces bloodflow to the kidneys, you make less urine but they;re in general less perfused and this is the "danger zone" for nsaids and kidneys

and you can lose 80-90 % kidney function before you notice and then..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt-udg9zQSE

the dialysis machine!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
oh great i’m good then because i drink absurd amounts of water

i had to have a liver function test recently, and also discovered that i don’t have hiv or syphilis. i do have “long lungs,” though (ie the lab tech did the x-ray wrong)

only the lung thing was a surprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

I get liver function tests pretty frequently since I'm on statins.