Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Probably getting this just because I liked Prey and Mooncrash so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

This is just to say that Australian- and Kiwi-presenting PC game owners will find their games unlocked tomorrow morning:

Unless, of course, I don't know how to read

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
So it's 17:07 ( 5:07 PM ) AEST September 13th in Australia, converting from PT to AEST looks like 01:00 September 14th for us on the East Coast ( Steam store says approx 7 hours so that tracks ).

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

So when will the reviews come out? Is there an embargo until launch?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Don't Ask posted:

So when will the reviews come out? Is there an embargo until launch?

I believe the embargo is meant to end today at some point - so I'm hoping we might see reviews popping up in a few hours. I've only heard this via second hand information / google though, so I could be entirely wrong.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Only spotted this game a couple days ago when Steam updated and the game news popped up. So far, Arkane is one of only two developers I'll immediately go for, full price, no questions asked, you guys are good for it.

Now I just need to finish Death Stranding so I can uninstall it and make room for Deathloop. I'm not gonna hurry, it'll give time for early patches to come through. Downside, it'll give time for an absolutely toxic assassin culture to develop.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I follow a few games journos on twitter and so far they all seem pretty enamoured with it. My pre-order arrives today and I am bloody giddy. I nearly went for the special edition, but then realised that paying an extra twenty quid for a couple of gold guns was a bit rich for my blood.

I remember reading that, as the antagonist character, you can actually help the protagonist a bunch, which sounds like it could lead to a lot of Dark Souls 3 purple phantom shenanigans.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dareon posted:

Now I just need to finish Death Stranding so I can uninstall it and make room for Deathloop. I'm not gonna hurry, it'll give time for early patches to come through. Downside, it'll give time for an absolutely toxic assassin culture to develop.

You can turn off multiplayer and have the assassin controlled by the AI if you want.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

iGestalt posted:

I believe the embargo is meant to end today at some point - so I'm hoping we might see reviews popping up in a few hours. I've only heard this via second hand information / google though, so I could be entirely wrong.

Embargos are usually up at 8am EST so probably in ~20 minutes

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1437387648000217091?s=20 first round of reviews just dropped, 100% from gamespot and ign

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Arkane in "makes good game" shocker.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the deluxe edition looks mediocre (just 2 weapons and 2 skins) so guess im grabbing the standard edition :)

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Samopsa posted:

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1437387648000217091?s=20 first round of reviews just dropped, 100% from gamespot and ign

Hell yeah. Extremely happy to see such a spread of scores for an Arkane title.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I hate having to rely on journos to figure out what the game is actually like because you never know if the person writing the review is a total moron, has terrible taste in videogames, or if they actually know what they're talking about, without having to deep dive into all of their previous reviews.

So far all of Arkane's game were total bangers but this one has red flags all over it.
A bunch of talent left for a different studio recently. (The fact that Redfall is a looter shooter points towards the idea that maybe the people that left were fairly important to studio's vision too.)
The embargo is less than 24 hours before release.
They're attempting to dive into a genre they don't really have any experience in.
The development cycle has been in the middle of the pandemic and basically everyone's games have been hosed up by it.
Also the game was delayed which is a great sign either.

There's also definitely a some reviews calling it a stinker too.

EDIT: Comparing all the reviews the one thing that stand out to me personally is that AI seems to be incredibly stupid and the game seems to be very easy.
That's a total dealbreaker.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 13, 2021

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Who's given it a bad review? I just got up but I read three or four glowing reviews while I was on the can just now. I'm always interested to see why someone sees trash when others think it's treasure.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jack Trades posted:

They're attempting to dive into a genre they don't really have any experience in.

This part is wrong. From the reviews it sounds like this is very similar to Dishonored but with added roguelike/metroidvania and a multiplayer component(that isn't as important as the trailers imply)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Who's given it a bad review? I just got up but I read three or four glowing reviews while I was on the can just now. I'm always interested to see why someone sees trash when others think it's treasure.

https://youtu.be/1DY7yTpWR6w

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/09/deathloop-review-a-dishonorable-bethesda-discharge/

https://techraptor.net/gaming/reviews/deathloop-review

https://gamerheadquarters.com/articles/deathloop-review.html

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RatHat posted:

This part is wrong. From the reviews it sounds like this is very similar to Dishonored but with added roguelike/metroidvania and a multiplayer component(that isn't as important as the trailers imply)

The roguelike genre is the one that they don't have any experience in (Mooncrash was clearly a test for it but it was very limited all things considered) and it's also a genre that's very difficult to get right.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jack Trades posted:

The roguelike genre is the one that they don't have any experience in (Mooncrash was clearly a test for it but it was very limited all things considered) and it's also a genre that's very difficult to get right.

My point was that the game is like 90% Dishonored and 10% Roguelike

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
for pc brothers with a ps5 (or just controller i guess) . i will still end up playing with a mouse and keyboard I think, but if any of you prefer those features but also want to play on pc

https://wccftech.com/deathloop-on-pc-supports-dualsense-features-rt-hdr-and-nvidia-reflex-no-crossplay/

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

This isn't a roguelike

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Jack Trades posted:

It doesn't seem like it's really a roguelike. There's no randomisation, as far as I can tell. There's just a timeloop. It sounds more like a Majora's Mask situation. As you progress further, you keep more stuff on reset.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
GMan's review is up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuwVZkgDkmM

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

I hate having to rely on journos to figure out what the game is actually like because you never know if the person writing the review is a total moron, has terrible taste in videogames, or if they actually know what they're talking about, without having to deep dive into all of their previous reviews.

So far all of Arkane's game were total bangers but this one has red flags all over it.
A bunch of talent left for a different studio recently. (The fact that Redfall is a looter shooter points towards the idea that maybe the people that left were fairly important to studio's vision too.)
The embargo is less than 24 hours before release.
The development cycle has been in the middle of the pandemic and basically everyone's games have been hosed up by it.
Also the game was delayed which is a great sign either.

There's also definitely a some reviews calling it a stinker too.

EDIT: Comparing all the reviews the one thing that stand out to me personally is that AI seems to be incredibly stupid and the game seems to be very easy.
That's a total dealbreaker.

The game has an excellent metacritic score, the vast majority of the reviews are effusive with praise, and the general consensus seems to be that the game shares an awful lot of its DNA with Arkane's previous work.

I mean, if it's not for you it's not for you, but it seems as if you're trying your best to find fault when by all accounts the game is really good.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Huh, some of these are downright contradictory to some of the stuff in the glowing reviews. Ars says the areas are really small without multiple ways to get through and the storytelling and worldbuilding is disjointed, when I've seen others say there are plenty of different paths and that the worldbuilding is great but trusts you to put everything together. And they say that Julianna doesn't do anything but get into a gunfight with Cole, but I've seen that she has a bunch of unlockable stuff too.

I'm usually kinda cynical about the glowing reviews but it kinda feels like the Ars reviewer was the one who wasn't really suited to the game, not IGN or whoever. I only played the first level or two of Dishonored but it's hard to imagine Arkane flubbing the worldbuilding, in particular.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Professional critic reviews are all "Yeah this is amazing, 10/10" while smaller, independent reviewers like GMan and ACG are much more of the opinion that it's just an alright game. Not sure what to make of it tbh.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Loling at Microsoft seemingly getting a solid new IP at last, but being contractually obligated to release it exclusively on the PS5

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Carmant posted:

Professional critic reviews are all "Yeah this is amazing, 10/10" while smaller, independent reviewers like GMan and ACG are much more of the opinion that it's just an alright game. Not sure what to make of it tbh.

Profession critic reviews should always be tempered with smaller reviews, purely because I find the bigger reviewers tend to overly be wow'd by presentation whereas the smaller ones typically talk about what it's like to actually play. At least the one's I follow.

I'm probably going to wait for it to go on sale. I'm not sure I want to spend that much money on a game that'll likely only last about 6 hours, if the reviews i'm seeing are to be believed.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The comment in the techraptor review about there not being any choice whatsoever in how to deal with your targets give me some pause. I don’t really fully trust that site, but I think I will wait a bit for actually tangible experiences to propagate.

Edit: The implication being that this game is less a Hitman-like sandbox where you have to design your perfect plan through the loop, and more a simple puzzle box where you just need to find the correct way to deal with each target and execution doesn’t matter. It could still be good if that is the case but I would like to know for sure.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 13, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

dogstile posted:

I'm not sure I want to spend that much money on a game that'll likely only last about 6 hours, if the reviews i'm seeing are to be believed.

We'll see how it goes for sure, but I remember critics having the same argument against Dishonored's length and how quickly players could blow through it. Which is certainly true, but one of my favorite things about Arkane's design is that their worlds are detailed and interesting enough that I take my time and go slow despite the chance to go fast.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bardeh posted:

The game has an excellent metacritic score, the vast majority of the reviews are effusive with praise, and the general consensus seems to be that the game shares an awful lot of its DNA with Arkane's previous work.

I mean, if it's not for you it's not for you, but it seems as if you're trying your best to find fault when by all accounts the game is really good.

It has the same Metacritic score as Fallout 4 and less than Fallout 3.

What does it mean, do you think?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Carmant posted:

I’d never heard of Gman before but he seems tuned to the “land of contrasts” content hustler spectrum. Also only seems like a resource for people who are ambivalent about the whole Arkane project. I personally wouldn’t trust anyone who failed to appreciate D2 or Prey

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Gmanlives is a fascist rear end in a top hat, but maybe he is right about this video game

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

It has the same Metacritic score as Fallout 4 and less than Fallout 3.

What does it mean, do you think?

lol ok gumshoe we'll be sure to tread lightly

Basic Chunnel posted:

I’d never heard of Gman before but he seems tuned to the “land of contrasts” content hustler spectrum. Also only seems like a resource for people who are ambivalent about the whole Arkane project. I personally wouldn’t trust anyone who failed to appreciate D2 or Prey

he's kind of a shitbird with gamergate-lite energy so idk why his review was waited on by anyone

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Hakkesshu posted:

The comment in the techraptor review about there not being any choice whatsoever in how to deal with your targets give me some pause. I don’t really fully trust that site, but I think I will wait a bit for actually tangible experiences to propagate.

Edit: The implication being that this game is less a Hitman-like sandbox where you have to design your perfect plan through the loop, and more a simple puzzle box where you just need to find the correct way to deal with each target and execution doesn’t matter. It could still be good if that is the case but I would like to know for sure.

it was confirmed long ago by the devs that there is a single correct path through the loop you need to take to kill all the targets in one go to beat the game and it sounds like the game guides you towards figuring that out through its quests etc.

it's not a hitman-like sandbox but i'm not sure if what you mean in your puzzle box scenario is entirely correct either.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I think if you liked Mooncrash you'll like this. I didn't, so I'm going to wait for it to be on GOG or something.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
reviews are useless to take in a general sense, find people whose taste matches yours and follow their opinion if you need it.

Danny almost never steers me wrong so I'm gonna go with 'this game rules'

https://twitter.com/dannyodwyer/status/1437418398502121475?s=20

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

There are not really any games press people that I consistently agree with

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm very interested in this game, but I also think I'll need to build a new PC to run it, so I'll wait. By the time I can play it, maybe there will be a good consensus on what it's like.

I usually read the (quality/effort) negative reviews for games because what people don't like about a game is more informative about whether you will like a game than a review which is mostly high praise.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Samopsa posted:

reviews are useless to take in a general sense, find people whose taste matches yours and follow their opinion if you need it.

Danny almost never steers me wrong so I'm gonna go with 'this game rules'

https://twitter.com/dannyodwyer/status/1437418398502121475?s=20

Do these people know what an "immersive sim" is?

I really want to know what he means by "new Hitman" considering that there seems to literally be no other way to interact with NPCs besides "press button to kill dude".

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 13, 2021