Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Broken Machine posted:

most of europe does pretty well w/ bikes, much better than most of the us. of course, i'm in the us and have nice biking, and working, family farms within a mile of city center, so there are exceptions

rush hour in amsterdam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqQSwQLDIK8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5DZexDYyuU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
cjs: work is deprecating our old Confluence instance and marking it read only (despite it being updated daily by dozens of people), where page loads are a very mildly annoying 2-3 seconds, to a new Confluence instance where page loads are, being extremely generous, about 8-10 seconds. The landing page for my org, which is maybe a couple hundred words of text and 8 pngs, is around 20 seconds.

good jorb guys

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

cjs: work is deprecating our old Confluence instance and marking it read only (despite it being updated daily by dozens of people), where page loads are a very mildly annoying 2-3 seconds, to a new Confluence instance where page loads are, being extremely generous, about 8-10 seconds. The landing page for my org, which is maybe a couple hundred words of text and 8 pngs, is around 20 seconds.

good jorb guys

confounduence

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

cjs: jury duty via zoom. already behind schedule.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

there's people taking a walk, clearly at work, people saying they have to drop their kids at school, someone outside a classroom, majority also seem to be on cellphones so that's going to be fun in an hour or two when people run out of battery

this is amazing.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
please tell me this isn't a murder trial or something actually important

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

more like Jury Doody

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

it couldn't possibly be that washington state is bigger than the countries those other cities are in, could it? also, cars were invented

Apr 7, 2003

prefect posted:

it couldn't possibly be that washington state is bigger than the countries those other cities are in, could it? also, cars were invented

Cars are an inherently destructive force and basing your built world around access to cars is a really bad idea.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

prefect posted:

cars were invented

you might be critically missing the point of this tweet and the broader genre of making GBS threads on us urban development

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

prefect posted:

it couldn't possibly be that washington state is bigger than the countries those other cities are in, could it?

what is bigger, washington state or germany :thunk:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Cars are an inherently destructive force and basing your built world around access to cars is a really bad idea.

i am thinking of explanations why farmland might be farther away from downtown seattle. no judgement of quality or goodness intended

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what is bigger, washington state or germany :thunk:

probably washington. all those euro countries are tiny little things that you can drive across in an hour or so

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

prefect posted:

probably washington. all those euro countries are tiny little things that you can drive across in an hour or so

germany is significantly larger than any us state other than alaska by land area, and at least twice larger than any us state by population

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cinci zoo sniper posted:

germany is significantly larger than any us state other than alaska by land area, and at least twice larger than any us state by population

and there are fifty states in the us. checkmate, europeobamailures

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 13, 2021

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

please tell me this isn't a murder trial or something actually important

don't know yet.

last time i got selected for grand jury and had to watch a murder multiple times. it was terrible. i hope this is nothing like that.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
that tweet is just a weird convoluted way of stating "north american cities have low population density" which is absolutely true and makes me think hellworld thoughts i'll keep to myself

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

prefect posted:

and there are fifty states in the us. checkmate, europe

there are fifty-three countries in europe :smug:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

KidDynamite posted:

don't know yet.

last time i got selected for grand jury and had to watch a murder multiple times. it was terrible. i hope this is nothing like that.

like a video? ugh

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cold on a Cob posted:

like a video? ugh

hopefully they didn't have cop execute multiple people in courthouse to reproduce the crime

Apr 7, 2003

Love to tell someone in a Teams message that I "need to get my dicks in a row", great start to the week.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cinci zoo sniper posted:

there are fifty-three countries in europe :smug:

europe does have latveria, so point for europe

but the us is the evil empire, based on record album cover art, so that's at least one point

(i am having half a migraine today, so if i'm making less sense than usual, let's blame that)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
teams makes my work laptop fan kick in and just not turn off. it's a good laptop too, 16gb ram and only a few years old.

and here i thought i hated computers before!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

like a video? ugh

yeah from a security camera outside a neighbors door.

:nms: killer dragged his girlfriend out of their apartment and stabbed her to death in front of her son.:nms:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Love to tell someone in a Teams message that I "need to get my dicks in a row", great start to the week.
https://twitter.com/faintpaddy/status/1429290786835898368?s=21

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

KidDynamite posted:

yeah from a security camera outside a neighbors door.

:nms: killer dragged his girlfriend out of their apartment and stabbed her to death in front of her son.:nms:

well that's hosed up

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cold on a Cob posted:

teams makes my work laptop fan kick in and just not turn off. it's a good laptop too, 16gb ram and only a few years old.

slack does that to my 2018 top spec 16” mbp - it just randomly starts making jet takeoff noises

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
electron apps are the future, which means the only reason to choose mac os or windows is which open/save dialog boxes you like better, since everything else is identical

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

cinci zoo sniper posted:

slack does that to my 2018 top spec 16” mbp - it just randomly starts making jet takeoff noises

Cold on a Cob posted:

hmm, that's good to know - ive had a couple people tell me their laptops start getting really drat hot out of nowhere and these are brand new

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

hmm, that's good to know - ive had a couple people tell me their laptops start getting really drat hot out of nowhere and these are brand new

mine gets hotter than what id deem comfortable for typing on it

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

lmao my work laptop is a complete piece of poo poo and will freeze up mid-sentence while I am typing for literal SECONDS and then suddenly all the words come typed out like the firehose was un-kinked.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Not to belabor the "biking time to farms" thing but when I visited Seattle there were a number of large parks, with hiking trails, embedded within the city, available by public transit... like most US cities.

I grew up in rural Ohio. Being in "farm land" in America is not being "in nature". It's living in the middle of an industrial food-growing operation. Properly preserved and maintained green space is a far better thing to judge cities by. (Not to mention the amount of run-off from pesticides and fertilizers which absolutely wrecks the watershed. Whoever put together that tweet was talking out of their rear end.)

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

shoeberto posted:

I grew up in rural Ohio. Being in "farm land" in America is not being "in nature". It's living in the middle of an industrial food-growing operation.

a lot of times it's not even food for humans, it's feedstock for animals or factories

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

cjs eating waffles, not working

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

cjs still on vacay but back at home

did anyone else meltdown about anime since i left

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i don't think so, but i stepped away from computer for the entire weekend and it felt really good

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

no, that only happens when you’re around so please stay away

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Share Bear posted:

cjs still on vacay but back at home

did anyone else meltdown about anime since i left

only the mods :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

cjs: went to a (masked, outdoor) beer festival over the weekend and tried a pistachio cream ale that still has me thinking about how incredible it was.