Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Oh sorry it's a thread for hashing out yours thanks for reminding

Completely insane nonsensical posts like this are why everyone on the outside thinks the thread is bad. Cheers.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Blizzwatch got to keep their thread, and it's in CCCC and it still has IKs upholding the thread bans. That's a W, take the W and move on please.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Oh sorry it's a thread for hashing out yours thanks for reminding

please quote the post where that person mentions any grudges of theirs whatsoever, or are you just gonna keep lashing out blindly at anyone who dares express even the slightest suggestion to walk it back

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U12bWXqxgXM&t=54s

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Completely insane nonsensical posts like this are why everyone on the outside thinks the thread is bad. Cheers.

Simple questions here but:

Admins and Mods have said numerous times to stop talking about the thread in this thread and you have had a blatant disregard for that. Why?

Also why not just say the insane nonsensical post is a habit of the user and not the thread as a whole?

The thread has been moved to CCCC, the previous IK has stepped down and that should be that right? If you don't want to do anything with the thread then why are you posting about it?

At this point what's the benefit/gain of making GBS threads up this thread? Talk about feedback for games!

Which here's a feedback:

Should there be a cleanup of the icons? Some of the icons are grossly not needed anymore and could help with searching/filtering

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Harrow please go wild with power and probe the last page of posts. You can hit me too I don't mind

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Harrow please go wild with power and probe the last page of posts. You can hit me too I don't mind

this

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

Blizzwatch got to keep their thread, and it's in CCCC and it still has IKs upholding the thread bans. That's a W, take the W and move on please.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Reveilled posted:

Completely different topic: Some folks in the RIP Idolninja thread have suggested the Games forum doing a charity drive to raise money for cancer charities with the old saints row gangtag as a reward. Would there be any Mod interest in supporting this? It would be for a good cause and it might be nice to do something together as a community to get away from all the bad vibes of the last two days.

Harrow posted:

I completely missed this in all the other stuff but yes, this sounds like a great idea to me. I don't have any experience running things like this but I'll definitely participate and I can volunteer to queue up any gangtags that are needed.

Just quoting these to to make sure this suggestion from last page doesn't get lost. I would definitely also support it!

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

mad?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's pretty clear this thread is largely being used to slapfight right now instead of providing feedback so I'm going to close it for a day or so to let everyone cool off.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay, the thread is open again. As a reminder: this is a feedback thread for Games. If you have feedback on how the Games forum is being run, concerns with Games moderation, ideas for improving Games, comments on things that are going well or not going well, or anything along those lines, please post that feedback here.

If you have site-wide feedback, please post that in QCS instead. It is far more likely to be seen by people who can actually act on it there than it is here.

I'm not going to outright forbid arguing in this thread. People can debate things about how Games is run, that's totally fine. However, this is not a place for things to get personal, and we're going to shut down any conversations that head in that direction. This is a general "no slapfighting" rule. Debates, fine. Petty fights where everyone insists on getting the last word, not fine.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ok, to take this out of the Stadia thread: I don't think we need a billion more rules to deal with someone shitposting, and I agree bans (and permas) should be saved for extreme cases. But when someone has a rap sheet 4 pages long, and keeps shitposting in the same thread no matter how much they're told to stop, I think they should consistently get something more far than just more and more 6ers.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

why don't you start a new thread to talk about stadia but name it something he has no interest in and won't check. may i suggest the "showering daily thread" :D

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I think you should instead not punish people for shitposting in the stadia thread, lol.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Harrow posted:

slap deez

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ok, to take this out of the Stadia thread: I don't think we need a billion more rules to deal with someone shitposting, and I agree bans (and permas) should be saved for extreme cases. But when someone has a rap sheet 4 pages long, and keeps shitposting in the same thread no matter how much they're told to stop, I think they should consistently get something more far than just more and more 6ers.

Echoing the above, adding that there's been a couple situations including this where it's implied that "it's just <poster> being <poster>" and everyone else should just deal with it - it's not limited to the stadia thread or one poster, nor is every such gimmick equally bad, but it'd be helpful if things like slurs or intentionally making a thread nearly unreadable stopped getting "oh that's just how they are" excuses made for it. If that's just how someone is, it comes off like there's no probation long enough to adequately correct the behavior and by excusing it like that, the moderation gives the appearance of knowing yet not caring.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 13, 2021

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, and it's a bit confusing when someone gets this message on their rap sheet and a 2 week probe:

quote:

These last 20 days (of which multiple you have been on probation anyway) you have been on a tear through multiple threads being obnoxious, insulting and condescending and been reported 50 times by nearly as many folks. Do not post the way you are posting. User loses posting privileges for 2 weeks.
... And then absolutely nothing stops them from continuing to post the same way the second it's up.

And again, I know the mods do care and are stretched thin. Just, you know, make the probes more than 6 or 12 hours when someone thinks it's funny to keep goading the mods into probing them. It's just making MORE work for the mods. Probe them for a LOT longer, repeatedly, and then maybe they'll stop.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The "you can poo poo on a thread but only if you're funny enough" rule should be viciously enforced.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Honestly, I'd be absolutely fine with that. But, putting aside that what is funny is subjective, it's clearly not possible.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, and it's a bit confusing when someone gets this message on their rap sheet and a 2 week probe:

... And then absolutely nothing stops them from continuing to post the same way the second it's up.

And again, I know the mods do care and are stretched thin. Just, you know, make the probes more than 6 or 12 hours when someone thinks it's funny to keep goading the mods into probing them. It's just making MORE work for the mods. Probe them for a LOT longer, repeatedly, and then maybe they'll stop.

the posts look pretty tame to me, why would this need more than 6 hours?

Stux posted:

ok let me get this straight, you really think people should be hung drawn and quartered just for disliking stadia? OK. guess thats the world we live in now of days. all i can say is yikes. meanwhile stadia marches on pwning me daily and sleeping with my wife and yall do nothing. mods knew.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

brand engager posted:

It's not the specific post itself so much as the billionth time making a dumb shitpost after being told not to.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

People sincere post in the Stadia thread?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I know this would never work as each thread (and more broadly each subforum) tends to be its own little fiefdom, but I wish there were just site-wide (or at least subforum-wide) guidance for rules enforcement and probes/bans. I feel like things vary from thread to thread and subforum to subforum leads to what has caused many of the arguments in this thread.

I’m not saying the rules need to be strict or anything, but I just wish there were codified enforcement guidelines to stamp out inconsistencies.

Or maybe it’s because, as the years have gone on, I’ve become allergic to the shitposty/trolling “humor” or years past, but the uneven enforcement of probes/bans is exhausting.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Trolling mock threads is a noble endeavor. Six hours is, if anything, too much

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

brand engager posted:

That post was AFTER Stux had posted a series of joker pictures that were so tall it made the thread impossible to browse on mobile. And honestly, I don't really care about Stux' dumb satire posts, but when every page is like 1/3 Stux posts, it stops being funny real quick.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If the Stadia thread is in a state where Stux's shitposts are causing problems for it then it needs to be gassed immediately imo.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

maybe there's not enough stadia stuff to keep the thread going anymore

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Move it to the chat zone

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think part of the reason I treat the Stadia thread and Stux's posts there how I do is that... honestly, there's not a ton going on in that thread at any given time. There have been stretches when Stux was on probation that the thread didn't get a new post for days on end, and times during his threadban when nobody was really bothering to post in the thread except to react to Stux posts. If Stux was disrupting a lively, active thread, I think I'd see it differently, and the bar for when it's funny and when it's just annoying would probably be higher.

That also means that, when there is actual discussion going on, if Stux (or anyone) starts trolling in a way that's derailing and disrupting discussion, I'll put them on probation (or, if I'm not around, report them and hopefully a mod who is around will do so) so that discussion can continue undisrupted.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hellbans were the old solution.

Thread level Hellbans might work, but would probably require coding

Reveilled posted:

Completely different topic: Some folks in the RIP Idolninja thread have suggested the Games forum doing a charity drive to raise money for cancer charities with the old saints row gangtag as a reward. Would there be any Mod interest in supporting this? It would be for a good cause and it might be nice to do something together as a community to get away from all the bad vibes of the last two days.

I'll see if I can pimp out a gangtag for this tomorrow

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Harrow posted:

I think part of the reason I treat the Stadia thread and Stux's posts there how I do is that... honestly, there's not a ton going on in that thread at any given time. There have been stretches when Stux was on probation that the thread didn't get a new post for days on end, and times during his threadban when nobody was really bothering to post in the thread except to react to Stux posts. If Stux was disrupting a lively, active thread, I think I'd see it differently, and the bar for when it's funny and when it's just annoying would probably be higher.

That also means that, when there is actual discussion going on, if Stux (or anyone) starts trolling in a way that's derailing and disrupting discussion, I'll put them on probation (or, if I'm not around, report them and hopefully a mod who is around will do so) so that discussion can continue undisrupted.

Wait, so is it ok to shitpost and argue in a thread in between news drops or not? Because a certain other thread just got banished for the behaviour you're now defending.

I'm not saying this to relitigate that, but rather to say: Consistency is important.

In addition to that, why keep extremely problematic people around?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Harrow posted:

I think that's WHY Stux chose the Stadia thread. Because it's easy to get away with it there. And then you get all these posts like "if it's that easy to troll, closed/gas the thread", etc. So if a thread goes dormant a lot when there's no news (which is normal!) it's ok to troll it? If that's the decision, sure, ok, but I see where this is leading - the thread is just going to get worse and worse because the only thing that's happening is Stux trolling, and then it really will get closed or gassed eventually, and then you've just let a troll win by letting them dictate the fate of the thread. And regardless of whether it's the Stadia thread or some other thread, that sucks.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Im on the computer.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That post was AFTER Stux had posted a series of joker pictures that were so tall it made the thread impossible to browse on mobile.
it sounds like this was pretty funny actually

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Wtf stux is stealing my methods.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It also feels like we have a large percentage of posters that like to use threads to chat and then a very vocal minority that have no other goal than trolling, loving with people, and encouraging others to do the same. There is no reconciling the two sides.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Harrow posted:

Is there a ballpark figure (idk, in 'pages per day' maybe) on how active and/or lively a thread should be for someone to expect responsive moderation within? I imagine the moderation staff would rather not have the queue piled up with reports they can't or won't disposition, and I imagine the people trying to read news/discussion (however sporadic) would want to know when is an appropriate time as well.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Saxophone posted:

In addition to that, why keep extremely problematic people around?

This is what I really don't get. Allowing a higher bar before repeat problem posters face actual, significant consequences is going to have an invisible but real effect of driving regular posters away as threads become insufferable. I certainly admit that humor is subjective but when a poster does have a clearly defined pattern of unnecessary hostility and antisocial behavior, it feels like that should - at some point - qualify them for less than kid gloves treatment. What's the benefit, anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Saxophone posted:

Wait, so is it ok to shitpost and argue in a thread in between news drops or not? Because a certain other thread just got banished for the behaviour you're now defending.

I'm not sure I understand the comparison. And ultimately, what happened with Blizzwatch wasn't up to me. I personally didn't have a problem with it staying here and my stance on it was "if it makes you that mad don't click on it." Ultimately it got the Xbox Has The Wrong RAM thread treatment instead.

And I guess if we're going to compare to the Stadia thread, it's more like: Stadia thread's pretty dead most of the time. It exists, as it seems, primarily to have a hearty lol at Google and occasional lmao at Reddit posts from Stadia fans/shills. I realized when I read your post that I actually hadn't replied to Rygar's "move it to the chat forum" comment from earlier (I had typed a reply but I guess I closed the tab), but if the Stadia thread was a lively chat thread that was only kinda about Stadia, I would support moving it to CCCC. Again, I think the comparison point is maybe more to the Xbox thread that's in CCCC rather than to Blizzwatch.

As it is, the Stadia thread's kind of a weird one. Games doesn't really have mock threads but, well, my stance is the same as Blizzwatch: if Stadia thread's existence makes you mad, you are free not to click on it. Maybe if there are Stadia users around here really hurting for a thread to discuss their Stadia experiences and the games they play on it then I'd have to think about whether the thread should be treated more like the other console/platform threads (Steam, Playstation, Xbox, Switch).

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I think that's WHY Stux chose the Stadia thread. Because it's easy to get away with it there.

I actually disagree with that. Stux isn't doing it there just because he gets away with it. Stux has a fairly consistent point of view that you can see him argue in this very feedback thread: mock threads should be able to be mocked in return. Games doesn't really have other mock threads, so he's using the Stadia thread to attempt to make that point. He's posting as he does there because he likes to make fun of mock threads and that's the one that's here.

And really I don't entirely disagree with him, with the caveat that you really gotta put in some effort to be funny if you're going to categorize what you're doing as "mocking the mock thread." If it's just disruptive and not adding anything to anyone's day, yeah, it's getting probated.