Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

It also feels like we have a large percentage of posters that like to use threads to chat and then a very vocal minority that have no other goal than trolling, loving with people, and encouraging others to do the same. There is no reconciling the two sides.

seems like the ignore function would handle all the stux complaints

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

brand engager posted:

seems like the ignore function would handle all the stux complaints

Might as well gas the thread then lol

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Trolling the Stadia thread is okay because it's the Stadia thread, and if light mock threads can't handle trolling then they've gotten too serious and need to be gassed before they become too much of a problem.

Trolling other threads is not okay, for example the switch thread or the steam games thread or the Eve thread or the big anime tiddy gambling phone game for children thread are not okay to shitpost in.

Actually on second thought maybe shitpost in that last one.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
the thread didn’t get banished it’s just in another subforum. you can still go there. it’s still a thread. wtf???

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Honestly the Stadia thread might well die without Stux. They're the third highest count poster and the other two high post counts seem to be mostly getting mad at Stux.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I’ve never been to the Stadia thread but there is some way it is officially classified as a “mock thread”? Maybe better distinctions are needed between mock threads, chat threads, information threads, etc. It would allow for better consistency between rule enforcement.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

I’ve never been to the Stadia thread but there is some way it is officially classified as a “mock thread”? Maybe better distinctions are needed between mock threads, chat threads, information threads, etc. It would allow for better consistency between rule enforcement.

It's a thread about the Stadia, being a mock thread is pretty inherent to it existing.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

feels like it's reasonable to expect the average games poster to be able to perform a quick temperature check on a thread but also, there's no thread where you don't report tall joker and it doesn't get probated. that's part of the comedy

i don't think games needs a forum taxonomist to declare which threads are acceptable to post jokes in, and a thread having jokes in it doesn't mean you can suddenly break tables

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, sorry about the LongClown images. I don't think the first couple were reported (or if they were, I missed them) and I didn't see the reports on the last couple until they'd been up for a while screwing up the thread for everyone. I also forgot that I could edit out images in posts until it was pointed out to me, so sorry about that, too :v:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I don't see how Stux is "just mocking mock threads" by spamming them with blocks of text and giant images. Maybe that might have been Stux' position before but now it's clearly just "spam the thread incessantly until it's gassed".

And as for the people calling for the Stadia thread to be closed, I mean, if trolling is just allowed there now as long as it's slow, then those people are right. It really doesn't seem worth it. I like the Stadia thread, because yeah, it's fun to dunk on Google, but if it's going to make this much work for the mod team then just cut it off already.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I think that chaos is an important part of a comedy forum.

It is a fool’s errand to demand consistent moderation from THE BIG BOOK OF RULES. This is more of a rollicking adaptive, precedent-based judgement system that mostly works out. It mostly works out because a healthy forums culture needs to dance on the edge between order and cacophony.

I think the people calling for Stux to be exiled are displaying an ugly impulse.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I think my point is: and I suppose this might be beyond the scope of games, but maybe not so I'm tossing it out there: Why keep around folks who's enjoyment of the community is almost entirely based around ruining others' enjoyment of the community?

Like, part of the reason I stick around here is that people seemed to mostly be adults and doing dumb and dickish poo poo outside of very specific places FOR dumb dickish poo poo got moderated and eventually probed and then banned. I see this a LOT in the actual games and groups, so that's nice, but the forms themselves feel very different.

Reminds me of when I was leading a goon guild and people would complain a out someone and wed laugh and go "haha, yeah they're just a dick." Eventually we went "wait, if their whole deal is just being a dick, why are we keeping them around." Wouldn't you know it, lots more people stuck around and made for a better community than the couple dicks that we lost.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Harrow posted:

Yeah, sorry about the LongClown images. I don't think the first couple were reported (or if they were, I missed them) and I didn't see the reports on the last couple until they'd been up for a while screwing up the thread for everyone. I also forgot that I could edit out images in posts until it was pointed out to me, so sorry about that, too :v:

Do y'all need more mods to keep up with the queue? I absolutely do not want to moderate any part of this site and would refuse if asked, but if the moderation staff are being swamped maybe there should be a few more added so reports don't get buried so long they're stale by the time anyone gets to it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Make Stux the IK of this thread

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

The Shortest Path posted:

If the Stadia thread is in a state where Stux's shitposts are causing problems for it then it needs to be gassed immediately imo.

In addition to his long-running bullshit in the Stadia thread, Stux has this tendency to just absolutely poo poo up whatever thread has his attention. It's not necessarily shitposting either - in the Switch and Xbox threads, Stux will roll in, smugly disagree with people about something in the most hostile manner possible, argue endlessly, and next thing you know the thread is about Stux until he fucks off.

The guy is absolutely toxic in Games and I have no idea why a billion probes don't equal a ban at some point. He never learns anything from the probes, ever. He's just an rear end in a top hat for the sake of being an rear end in a top hat, he's open about this, and the mods don't give a poo poo. I don't know if they're tee-hee Discord pals with him or what but it's absolutely bizarre to see. As someone who has been on SA for entirely too long, it's the strangest thing to witness this level of accommodation for someone so dedicated to ruining discussion.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

☝️ this☝️

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

In addition to his long-running bullshit in the Stadia thread, Stux has this tendency to just absolutely poo poo up whatever thread has his attention. It's not necessarily shitposting either - in the Switch and Xbox threads, Stux will roll in, smugly disagree with people about something in the most hostile manner possible, argue endlessly, and next thing you know the thread is about Stux until he fucks off.

The guy is absolutely toxic in Games and I have no idea why a billion probes don't equal a ban at some point. He never learns anything from the probes, ever. He's just an rear end in a top hat for the sake of being an rear end in a top hat, he's open about this, and the mods don't give a poo poo. I don't know if they're tee-hee Discord pals with him or what but it's absolutely bizarre to see. As someone who has been on SA for entirely too long, it's the strangest thing to witness this level of accommodation for someone so dedicated to ruining discussion.

If he's making GBS threads up actual discussion threads then yeah ramp his rear end.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

describing the switch thread as an actual discussion thread is pretty generous

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The Shortest Path posted:

If he's making GBS threads up actual discussion threads then yeah ramp his rear end.

There actually is pretty decent dunk-laden discussion about Stadia in the Stadia thread until Stux shows up and it becomes about Stux again. Everyone stop having fun because Stux wants to have fun, over and over.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

T H I S

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Andrast posted:

describing the switch thread as an actual discussion thread is pretty generous
The same could be said of any games thread with a topic larger than a single game.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

Yeah pretty much. Look at his rap sheet. This is what he does. Probing him does nothing. Why is it still tolerated? Does the mod team WANT more work?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Nobody's ever like "man I miss fishmech" and it wasn't even years of terrible posting that did it in the end. The gently caress are the mods even for? Dispensing 6ers?

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 13, 2021

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

As someone who has been on SA for entirely too long, it's the strangest thing to witness this level of accommodation for someone so dedicated to ruining discussion.

That's the thing. Why would I use SA over reddit or somewhere else when the biggest draw (moderation) for SA isn't even a thing? If assholes are just going to run rampant and unrepentant and the leadership response is, say, "Arf is just doing Arf things." Then I may as well go do things elsewhere with more people because at least with a larger pool of people I'm more likely to find a group or a community I mesh with.

Multiply this by every person that a troll trolls and suddenly you're losing good community members because you're protecting assholes until every thread is just Stux doing joker pictures at Arf who is calling Stux a slur and they're the only two posters' there.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Saxophone posted:

That's the thing. Why would I use SA over reddit or somewhere else when the biggest draw (moderation) for SA isn't even a thing? If assholes are just going to run rampant and unrepentant and the leadership response is, say, "Arf is just doing Arf things." Then I may as well go do things elsewhere with more people because at least with a larger pool of people I'm more likely to find a group or a community I mesh with.

Multiply this by every person that a troll trolls and suddenly you're losing good community members because you're protecting assholes until every thread is just Stux doing joker pictures at Arf who is calling Stux a slur and they're the only two posters' there.

:emptyquote:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Saxophone posted:

Sounds to me like you should make a QCS thread about this very real and bad problem

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

multijoe posted:

Sounds to me like you should make a QCS thread about this very real and bad problem

How about shutting the gently caress up and letting people post feedback in the Games Feedback Thread

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Hellbans were the old solution.

Thread level Hellbans might work, but would probably require coding

I'll see if I can pimp out a gangtag for this tomorrow

Nah the old solution was straight-up bans. Once upon a time it'd only take a dozen probes or so before mods started banning the person just for being annoying

The rapsheets of people who've been annoying since the 00s are always really funny because they get 10-20 probations, then several bans, then they stop posting until the mid-2010s, and then they come back and get two hundred more probations before they start getting banned again

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

How about shutting the gently caress up and letting people post feedback in the Games Feedback Thread

Whoa careful there, someone's liable to own you by posting a manga scan at you

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think if moderation within news/discussion threads was allowed to be more effective than an occasional 6er and only going past that mark at great length, they'd live and die as news/discussion threads but what's the point of talking about any news when it's gonna draw a flood of shitposts the moment it gets pushed back up the page?

If you get rid of the shitposts and it dies for lack of activity, then it dies and that's the end of it, there's no real need to have ad-hoc janitors begging to gas threads for inactivity in a forum as popular as Games since any dying/dead thread will be buried pretty fast.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Has Arf been trolling any Games threads? From here it seems some people just want a soapbox to call for the purge of their posting enemies, which is QCS's place

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

multijoe posted:

Has Arf been trolling any Games threads? From here it seems some people just want a soapbox to call for the purge of their posting enemies, which is QCS's place

Looks like "from here" is farther away than your prescription lets you see.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

smugly disagree with people about something in the most hostile manner possible, argue endlessly

this describes half the switch thread lol

TheScott2K posted:

Looks like "from here" is farther away than your prescription lets you see.

thank you for your feedback!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Stux is a mockthread.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

TheScott2K posted:

smugly disagree with people about something in the most hostile manner possible, argue endlessly,

this is the something awful experience

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

yea that just kinda sounds like normal posting

i agree that chat threads should be able to exist and have their own specific moderation that can resolve these issues more quickly, unfortunately that pattern has proven to be impossible in games

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Honestly I think if you're indignantly calling for a guy to be banned and the worst thing you can point to is a linebreak image of the Joker I think you're being a huge bitch

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
having posting in/lurked some of the same threads as stux, i'd perhaps examine the situation that the baseline quality of discussion is generally so banal that any mildly inflammatory post instantly grabs all the attention.

stux can be defeated in two clicks, you just have to have the courage to do so. "but people will still quote him!" unfortunate, scroll on by

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

multijoe posted:

He was loving around in Blizzwatch when it was in Games.

TheScott2K posted:

Also this is a good point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
We nearly lost this entire website because a cabal of posters became convinced that they could identify and eliminate a different cabal of wrong posters.

The Stadia thread has been put on vacation multiple times because left to itself it turns rancid.

I do not think that Stux should be driven off because long clowns interrupted the otherwise scintillating exchange of sick burns re: dumb things copied and pasted from Reddit.