Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/KevinCate/status/1437461661724590082

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

not very accurate and very easy to game or accidentally give yourself a false negative by not swabbing well enough. in the approval data for it they had something like a 77% accuracy for people who were trained in how to do it, so it's even worse for the general public.

How do you get poo poo like that even approved? Or is that compared to a PCR with CT>37 or something silly like that? Just skimming over the EU test list all of them seem better than that.

zegermans posted:

There's a resort in Austria called the Gastein valley that made a name for itself as a therapeutic recovery place for nobility because it had hot springs full of radon.

Yeah, kind of a left over from when people would go crazy over radiation, though there probably isn't any harm. I think it's firmly in the can show neither positive nor negative effect so grift away range.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

uhhhh china already had a delta surge. it was a month ago and they go up to about 150 cases a day, did targeted lockdowns, tested every single citizen in Wuhan in 3 days (11 million people!) and crushed the delta surge down to a dozen or two cases per day again

https://fortune.com/2021/08/23/china-covid-local-cases-zero-delta-variant-control/

*liberal voice*

and this sort of strategy is UNSUSTAINABLE and china is AUTHORITARIAN and :qq:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

God I wish I lived in China

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Lenin Stimpy posted:

Unless the rest of the world takes measures to stop SARS-CoV-2 (they won't), China will eventually see a large-scale delta (or other variant) wave. It's just too contagious. China isn't going to permanently shut down all international travel; that doesn't serve the owner class. From my understanding there has been some local transmission in China again, which sucks rear end. I think it's just a matter of time. China didn't fail their people, the world failed China (and the rest of us who wanted far more strict measures).

also china has international travel totally open. you have to do a 21 day strict quarantine in hardcore air spread disease safe quarantine facilities. there are no exceptions, no "oh I flew in private, no need to quarantine", etc. bullshit. china is totally open for travel and business, and totally covid free in spite of delta

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The lancet article thing is stupid if you actually think that stopping the spread of COVID is in any way a goal

quote:

The review, published Monday in The Lancet, summarizes scientific evidence from randomized controlled trials and observational studies that appeared in both peer-reviewed journals and pre-print servers. The consistent finding was that vaccines remain highly effective against severe disease, including from the delta variant and other main variants.

“The currently available studies do not provide credible evidence of substantially declining protection against severe disease, which is the primary goal of vaccination,” said lead author Dr. Ana-Maria Henao-Restrepo, medical officer for vaccine research at WHO.

Even putting aside the fact that some of us don't want COVID even if we have good odds of not ending up in the hospital, we know that a vaccinated person that catches a mild case can still spread COVID to others. So refusing to allow boosters is just an endorsement of making sure everyone catches COVID.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

100 degrees Calcium posted:

God I wish I lived in China

This pandemic really did mark the transition to the Chinese century and it's not even debatable.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Someone just now mentioned that the delta variant can present like a sinus infection at first. This is the second time I've heard that. Does anyone know about this? I had a student on Friday who had some sinus issues and I guess I need something more to worry about.

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

How many lungs does this guy have?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

yep halloween last year was when it went from "hmm seems bad" to "holy poo poo this is a disaster, buckle up"

Our holiday season is built around ramping up the spread of communicable diseases as fast as possible.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
yeah, radon deez nutz

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Isizzlehorn posted:

This is mostly quackery, but the possible benefits are discussed here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_hormesis

Basically getting low-dosed with ionizing radiation is potentially a health benefit to trigger your bodies cells to regenerate more often and avoid fewer instances of cancerous cells from occurring. This is a risk based benefit, as according to the LNT model any ionizing radiation is a health negative. It's a very difficult subject to study because the LNT model is based upon extrapolated results from Hiroshima and Nagasaki observations and studies. Some interesting support for hormesis comes from comparing small communities living in high background vs low background radiation environments with very similar socioeconomic living standards.

That word salad aside, there's fuckall that low dosing would do to Covid. The only potential health benefit is lower cancer risk factor. The people going there now to fight Delta are certified insane people.

even if you thought radiation hormesis was good for you, inhaling radon would be a terrible way to expose yourself, because the decay products will coat the insides of your lungs with alpha emitters and give you lung cancer

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Why do you guys think school is going to be a big deal? We've been back in school here in SC for a month and

Everything looks fine?

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Jon Lovitz is a chud but he also beat the poo poo out of Andy Dick, in conclusion many sides

Holy poo poo I just looked up Victoria Jackson because I remembered she was a mega-chud

Hasn't posted on Twitter since March, which was nothing but QAnon/conservative nonsense:

https://twitter.com/victoriajackson

I dug deeper, and she just posted a YouTube blog last week where she reveals her brother recently killed himself, and her entire family got COVID right after, and then her mom died from COVID:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZJc34zXh-0

:drat:

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I know it's because I'm still a 2019-brained idiot, but the idea of faking a social sounds so scary to me lol

I'm surprised using the address of the store works, I would assume that would be noticed and prompt some follow up questioning.

fuckit - use the address for yankee stadium or whatever the metrodome’s old mailing address if you don’t want to use the stores. nobody cares

this is like the one benefit of nobody caring about this loving virus, they just need to have the paperwork so their boss don’t yell at them

nobody cares

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Lenin Stimpy posted:

Unless the rest of the world takes measures to stop SARS-CoV-2 (they won't), China will eventually see a large-scale delta (or other variant) wave. It's just too contagious. China isn't going to permanently shut down all international travel; that doesn't serve the owner class. From my understanding there has been some local transmission in China again, which sucks rear end. I think it's just a matter of time. China didn't fail their people, the world failed China (and the rest of us who wanted far more strict measures).
they will deal with it just like they dealt with their Nanjing delta outbreak
http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2021-08/19/c_1310136534.htm
they'll shut poo poo down and it'll be done with in 3~ weeks

sorry to lmao at "they'll see a large-scale delta" but lmao
https://fortune.com/2021/08/23/china-covid-local-cases-zero-delta-variant-control/

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

super sweet best pal posted:

Our holiday season is built around ramping up the spread of communicable diseases as fast as possible.

America!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Greg Legg posted:

Someone just now mentioned that the delta variant can present like a sinus infection at first. This is the second time I've heard that. Does anyone know about this? I had a student on Friday who had some sinus issues and I guess I need something more to worry about.

yeah a couple months ago when delta first started popping off in vaccinated countries the most common symptoms for breakthrough cases were cold-like--congestion, sneezing, etc.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/delta-variant-symptoms-covid-19/

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Thoguh posted:

The lancet article thing is stupid if you actually think that stopping the spread of COVID is in any way a goal

Even putting aside the fact that some of us don't want COVID even if we have good odds of not ending up in the hospital, we know that a vaccinated person that catches a mild case can still spread COVID to others. So refusing to allow boosters is just an endorsement of making sure everyone catches COVID.

they're have policy meetings this week to put the brakes on the boosters now!

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Soylent Majority posted:

fuckit - use the address for yankee stadium or whatever the metrodome’s old mailing address if you don’t want to use the stores. nobody cares

this is like the one benefit of nobody caring about this loving virus, they just need to have the paperwork so their boss don’t yell at them

nobody cares

You're right. I'm just gonna get the fuckin shot

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

yeah a couple months ago when delta first started popping off in vaccinated countries the most common symptoms for breakthrough cases were cold-like--congestion, sneezing, etc.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/delta-variant-symptoms-covid-19/

Thank you!

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

WampaLord posted:

*liberal voice*

and this sort of strategy is UNSUSTAINABLE and china is AUTHORITARIAN and :qq:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

lmao

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol this headline reads like a JRPG boss battle

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Why do you guys think school is going to be a big deal? We've been back in school here in SC for a month and

Everything looks fine?

That doesn't look significantly different than the shape of the wave we're having here in the PNW where schools have only been back for a little over a week.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

McNugget Buddy posted:

Holy poo poo I just looked up Victoria Jackson because I remembered she was a mega-chud

Hasn't posted on Twitter since March, which was nothing but QAnon/conservative nonsense:

https://twitter.com/victoriajackson

I dug deeper, and she just posted a YouTube blog last week where she reveals her brother recently killed himself, and her entire family got COVID right after, and then her mom died from COVID:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZJc34zXh-0

:drat:

lol of course she's driving while recording this

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Rauros posted:

they're have policy meetings this week to put the brakes on the boosters now!

this will be batshit wild if they go back on biden's september 20th boosters for all announcement

like completely absolutely ridiculous, just shred everything the loving CDC has published and never trust them again

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Isizzlehorn posted:

This is mostly quackery, but the possible benefits are discussed here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_hormesis

Basically getting low-dosed with ionizing radiation is potentially a health benefit to trigger your bodies cells to regenerate more often and avoid fewer instances of cancerous cells from occurring. This is a risk based benefit, as according to the LNT model any ionizing radiation is a health negative. It's a very difficult subject to study because the LNT model is based upon extrapolated results from Hiroshima and Nagasaki observations and studies. Some interesting support for hormesis comes from comparing small communities living in high background vs low background radiation environments with very similar socioeconomic living standards.

That word salad aside, there's fuckall that low dosing would do to Covid. The only potential health benefit is lower cancer risk factor. The people going there now to fight Delta are certified insane people.

Lol not sure anyone can argue that ionizing radiation will make your cells divide more

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

How else will he sell regeneron??

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

King County always posts Monday numbers late because it takes a long time to count that high.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

this will be batshit wild if they go back on biden's september 20th boosters for all announcement

like completely absolutely ridiculous, just shred everything the loving CDC has published and never trust them again

lol at the idea they had any remaining credibility with you already

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/AMitrops/status/1437483518754439171

Nothing we could have done

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

This is the face of denial.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

<3 month old on my podunk county is in the hospital per public health, also a 30yo woman died. I'm gonna assume the worst on that one :shepicide:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Greg Legg posted:

A runny nose used to be a good sign, not anymore!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

jesus christ

what's the long covid percent again, something like 15-30% of cases? even if just 15% that's still around 200k kids that will be dealing with covid for months and potentially years

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

King County always posts Monday numbers late because it takes a long time to count that high.
lol the SPS dash is supposed to be updated on mondays but hasn't been touched since the 3rd
https://www.seattleschools.org/resources/covid-19-dashboard/

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Tzen posted:

lol the SPS dash is supposed to be updated on mondays but hasn't been touched since the 3rd
https://www.seattleschools.org/resources/covid-19-dashboard/

lmfao. i cannot wait to see this update after a week or more of backlog

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol gonna be tens of thousands of child deaths by the end of this. cool very cool very normal poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
My favorite state related crack ping was Kentucky congress overturning the governor's school mask mandate within a day of a 15-year old and a couple school workers dying. =)