Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvrF5CS_QnI
(the original trailer is now private, here's the season 2 trailer)

Heels is a new TV series about two brothers (played by Stephen Amell and Alexander Ludwig) who co-own a minor wrestling promotion while at each other's throats (both figuratively and literally). It looks dumb, but I'm going to watch it because it's the right kind of dumb.

Eight episodes, starts August 15th.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Watched and enjoyed the first episode, even though I never got into wrestling growing up. Amell and BjornLudwig do a great job of portraying a traditional(?) wrestling company in a small town in bumfuck Georgia. No spoilers, but it lays the groundwork for an interesting season.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I hope there's going to be some likeable characters. Because Jack's an arsehole and Ace is a real piece of poo poo, and if we're focusing on the two of them the whole time I think it's going to get pretty hard to take.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
This show promised more shirtless Stephen Amell now that Arrow is over, and it definitely delivered. I really enjoyed the first episode. The anticlimactic finish was actually surprising and really made me interested in how that plotline would play out over the next few episodes. I didn't see Jack being the one to break the narrative and piss off the fans.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Between Jack and Ace, I believe that Jack had more to gain by shooting in the match. It's the old 'crabs in a bucket' idea - nobody should get so successful that they move on to the big leagues and abandon Duffy. If Ace shot on Jack, he'd look unprofessional and wouldn't get the big call up.

(in pro wrestling parlance, 'to shoot' is to go off-script either in the ring or in a promo and do something real)

As a person who watches wrestling, this show does a good job explaining to the audience basic concepts without it being too clunky. What's weird is how this show somehow takes place in a world where local, 'territorial' wrestling still exists whilst WWE exists and WCW existed.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Can't wait for the Salmon Ladder Match

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Still liking the show...am I a nascent wrestling fan?... Nah, but this show is doing well. I have liked both Amel and Lundwig in their respective shows, so I hope this does them well.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I know I should care about the Spade brothers, but I’m most invested in Bobby Pin, the good ring partner and all-around nice guy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

My big problem with this show is that I would much rather be watching DWL than Heels. The wrestling show seems cool. The show about the wrestling show is miserable.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
Saw the 5 episodes out currently. Boy, they really need to start making one of the Spade brothers more likeable already; Ace is nigh irredeemable at the moment and Jack is still an arrogant despot in and out of the ring.

Also, what's with the treatment of women in wrestling on this show? Even in some backyard promotion in the middle of bumfuck nowhere you'd see female wrestlers doing cool poo poo--this isn't the '80s/'90s/'00s anymore.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

The show doesn't really place itself in time thematically, could be 90's , could be 20's.
Ludwig does pensive/sad really well, even if he doesn't have much range yet.he has a chance to be real good, as does kelly Berglund.
Kinda hard to believe these people are scrapping by when they own what seems to be a several acres farm and a sold out venue every week.
I think it's a show that will get better in time, and worthy of your time.
The soundtrack sucks though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Half way through episode five, I just decided I'm done with this show. It's unpleasant to watch. I got enough of Stephen Amell playing an arrogant, self-absorbed, arsehole on Arrow, and Ace and Bill are even worse. Consistently awful. Bobby and Crystal are ok, but they both need to get the absolute gently caress out of this town and never so much as think about DWL ever again.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Holy poo poo Ace. :wtc: I’m really hoping this doesn’t sideline Bobby for long, show-wise.

I think this show has a similar problem to what the later seasons of Sons of Anarchy (though certainly not to the level of that trash fire) suffered from. Every happy moment or personal win for a character is immediately cut off at the knees by a depressing turn of events. Scenes may be enjoyable, but the arc of the season has thus far been an exercise in misery.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I wish this show about wrestling had more than a few minutes of actual wrestling in it. The family drama isn't that interesting.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Its wrestlers who can't stop being wrestlers out of the ring. Don't think of it as a family drama, its wresting full time even in the grocery store :lol:

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Ok, the latest episode focused on what the audience wanted the most....Family Drama! Punching myself in the junk would be more enjoyable than this show, yet I continue to watch just so I can see Stephen Amell's bald spot grow in real time.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Six episodes in and I think I'm done with this show.

Its anachronistic depiction of women in wrestling and its callous mistreatment of Crystal combined with its empathetic treatment of garbage rear end dudes like the Spade brothers is some weird enabling of toxic masculinity, man.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Not forgetting aside from blaming Crystal for Ace's behaviour, the show also revealed Willie is to be blamed for Wild Bill being a piece of poo poo. Lmao wtf is this show.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
episode 6 : god and everyone says sorry to everyone else in 8 different ways

what in the gently caress

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Oasx posted:

I wish this show about wrestling had more than a few minutes of actual wrestling in it. The family drama isn't that interesting.

Yeah I caught this a few times hoping it would be about backstage politics and intrigue, which is a legitimately interesting part of wrestling, and instead I get some lovely redneck soap opera with a few minutes of wrestling every few episodes.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Starz should've just bought the rights to GLOW and kept it going.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

This show is so funny. Having characters named Ace and Jack Spade, and their dad is King Spade. That is completely hilarious. I'm just waiting for their cousin David to show up.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Lol I tried continuing with episode 7 and lol, the villainous wrestling promotion on this show is the one that wants to treat women better and Crystal is shown grovelling at Jack about how wrong she was and how great it was that Jack gave her the opportunity.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Necro-ing this thread because season two starts this Friday. OP has the new trailer, as the first season trailer is now private and I don't want to waste that real estate.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This show got a second season? Did people actually like it?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
it started out ok then the writing got really drat bad. like i posted above, one of the episodes the entire thing was each individual character running around to say sorry to someone else. that was the whole loving episode.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Reviews for the second season have been pretty decent, so I'm excited to have this show back.

e: I have to imagine it's a bummer for Amell for the show to be delayed so long, then for it to finally come out, get some decent reviews, and another set of circumstances has left him unable to promote it.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 26, 2023

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Burned through this over the last week or so. Fun to watch Chris Bauer and Mike O’Malley play complete shitheads. Bobby Pin would make a great Superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Still laughing over the Condamned.