Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

Maybe I’m the weirdo but I feel like if someone has 50+ 6ers on their rap sheet, maybe they should just be banned.

I'd agree with that if I thought that bans were a good deterrent. In practice, they are more a $10 tax than an actual ban. And we have no way of knowing how much any one poster actually cares about losing that $10. I think the only actual effective deterrent is a long probation, like a week long or more. Six hour probations are more just a cooling off period than anything that stops poo poo posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'd agree with that if I thought that bands were a good deterrent. In practice, they are more a $10 tax than an actual ban. And we have no way of knowing how much any one poster actually cares about losing that $10. I think the only actual effective deterrent is a long probation, like a week long or more. Six hour probations are more just a cooling off period than anything that stops poo poo posting.

The notion that a probation is a more effective "deterrent" than a $10 rereg is ridiculous, IMO.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what happened to the 30 day probation + ban combo

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

The notion that a probation is a more effective "deterrent" than a $10 rereg is ridiculous, IMO.

I've seen plenty of posters rereg immediately over and over like it was absolutely nothing. With probations, they actually do stay away until it's over. I'd say a week or month-long probation is a much bigger punishment than a ban.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Asema posted:

what happened to the 30 day probation + ban combo

He still have that, for when people post death threats, or lurid hate speech. It's historically seen less use for posting too much Big Joker

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I've seen plenty of posters rereg immediately over and over like it was absolutely nothing. With probations, they actually do stay away until it's over. I'd say a week or month-long probation is a much bigger punishment than a ban.

So wring what money can be wrung from them and then Perma them. This is how it worked when these forums were at their best.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'd agree with that if I thought that bans were a good deterrent. In practice, they are more a $10 tax than an actual ban. And we have no way of knowing how much any one poster actually cares about losing that $10. I think the only actual effective deterrent is a long probation, like a week long or more. Six hour probations are more just a cooling off period than anything that stops poo poo posting.

I mean, both should be used more liberally. Maybe before mods pull the trigger on another 6er, they should just take a second to check the poster’s rap sheet.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

dreffen posted:

But, like, why aren't they weighing in? This all comes back around to my comments about mod and admin inaction - this isn't a paying job, so if someone isn't going to step up, why bother even being in that position at all? Let someone do it who will actually do it.

Maybe want to reconsider this post and walk back the idea that VideoGames — one of the most even-handed and active moderators on this website — is an example of Mod/Admin inaction because he didn't pop into this thread within 5 hours of the subject coming up.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

dreffen posted:

You are, and it's appreciated that you're weighing in, and I get it feeling weird.

But, like, why aren't they weighing in? This all comes back around to my comments about mod and admin inaction - this isn't a paying job, so if someone isn't going to step up, why bother even being in that position at all? Let someone do it who will actually do it.

Nobody actually wants to be a mod is the problem. It's really hard to find them because everyone says no

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, I guess I should rephrase, I do think bans are better than what's currently happening. But I also think long probations are better than bans.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

multijoe posted:

He still have that, for when people post death threats, or lurid hate speech. It's historically seen less use for posting too much Big Joker

i've been laughing continuously at this post since i read it. can someone please pm me Big Joker, i need to see it

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Nobody actually wants to be a mod is the problem. It's really hard to find them because everyone says no

I mean, when an admin is just brainly condoning the use of the r slur, YBA mod? If all of your actions have to be run through that filter, What meaningful moderation can you even do?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, I guess I should rephrase, I do think bans are better than what's currently happening. But I also think long probations are better than bans.

you need to accept that bans aren't a thing due to the site popularity and dwindling user base

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's a reason most bans come with a 30-day probation tacked on. The 30-day probation is the real punishment there for a lot of posters, I think. The ban is just a tax added on top.

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah, someone asked a page or two ago if we need more mods in Games and like... I wouldn't say no to another mod or two, but we stopped looking for new mods a little bit ago because it just about everyone was saying no. And at a certain point, given the climate on the forums, I can't really blame people for saying no.

That said, Games is usually pretty quiet and we usually don't have a ton of stale reports sitting around or anything. The past week or so is (I hope) kind of a special case.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ArfJason posted:

Wtf stux is stealing my methods.

:cheeky: sorry therye just so effective...

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

doingitwrong posted:

Maybe want to reconsider this post and walk back the idea that VideoGames — one of the most even-handed and active moderators on this website — is an example of Mod/Admin inaction because he didn't pop into this thread within 5 hours of the subject coming up.

Should I just clarify and point it directly to admins? Because at least one of the admins in particular who posted here sucks at what they're doing.

There either needs to be more mods, or better mods.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Okay, but if people are saying no to being a mod because the climate on the site is so bad to make you not want to be a mod I can't see that as anything other than huge blinking neon signs screaming heavier moderation is needed. Dwindling numbers means people are being driven off. And obviously they're extremely problematic lovely posters not being moderated at any meaningful way as to discourage the behavior. I should imagine one could surmise that hey, maybe the problematic lovely posters are responsible for some of the dwindling numbers.

Saxophone fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 13, 2021

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

So wring what money can be wrung from them and then Perma them. This is how it worked when these forums were at their best.

when was that?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

12 rats tied together posted:

i've been laughing continuously at this post since i read it. can someone please pm me Big Joker, i need to see it

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Looper posted:

when was that?

Up until Feb 28 2012

e: sorry just joking around, I don't have any issue with you, just want to be clear in this, a Serious Thread

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
mods change my name to Extremely Problematic Shady Poster tia

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

to address whatever is going on here, half the ppl posting may be dismissed out of hand as theyre v obviously grudge posting, doesnt deserve the time of day. the stadia thread needing protecting and the awful crime of posting big picture s of the famous villian "the joker" being "problematic" is extremely funny. a thread whose entrie content at this point consists of very odd behavior like combing through reddit posts and comments to post extremely boring and normal posts so 5 people can say the same thing at each other is completely worthless and embaressing, the behavior is that of freaks, and the thread and its posters should be fired into the sun post haste. have a blessed day.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i don't think games actually needs more mods. they're pretty good at what they do and are even around most times of the day, and the forum as a whole is pretty chill. the rules thread even says they can never have too many reports

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

people aren't saying no to being a mod becuase of stux or arf

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

what if the mod forums were just made public and read-only

just pages and pages of very serious debate over how many big jokers it takes to earn a probe longer than 6 hours lol

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I suggested we perma ban the posters that I personally do not like.

Stux can stay because he's at least funnier than whatever tedious nerds are complaining about the lightest trolling.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I can say from experience that the stressful part of being a mod isn't stux, it's stuff like this thread lol

Still better than qcs though

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

oddium posted:

people aren't saying no to being a mod becuase of stux or arf

I sure would. Why be a mod if the probe I queued up for Arf using the r slur is going to possibly be denied by the same admin that them later will come in to defend them?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

youre talking to an ex mod lol

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Saxophone posted:

I sure would. Why be a mod if the probe I queued up for Arf using the r slur is going to possibly be denied by the same admin that them later will come in to defend them?

What are you talking about?????

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FAUXTON posted:

what if the mod forums were just made public and read-only

just pages and pages of very serious debate over how many big jokers it takes to earn a probe longer than 6 hours lol

The hard part is that it's not just the quantity of big jokers, but the size and jpg-ness that matter. I have it on good authority that stux would be on a week probe right now if he had passed the joker through another jpg quality downgrade

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 13, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Saxophone posted:

I have never had a probation for a slur turned down by an admin. We're allowed to enforce the rules of our own forums.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
These long joker posts are really problematic, we need equally wide jokers to even in out

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

What are you talking about?????

poo poo that happened like...3 days ago. Scroll up! (And back like 8 pages)

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Admins: Yeah mods can set their own rules in their forums slurs aren't banned in CCCC because each thread is it's own little community and they can decide for themselves

Posters: drat THE ADMINS SAID YOU CAN DO SLURS???

Saxophone posted:

To not be a dipshit for a second you're misunderstanding what was said -- slurs are not against the site-wide rules, moderators are able to come up with their own rules for their own forums and enforce them as they see fit, for the large part. Within that wide leeway is the ability to allow or not allow various language. Slurs aren't allowed in Games right now, it's that simple. Admins will absolutely back mods in stuff like that. Where the confusion comes is specifically with CCCC which is kind of a middle zone that's not really a real forum just a parking ground for lonely threads. The admin position is merely that "they are not banned in the CCCC rules or site-wide rules so they are allowed in CCCC" this can obviously be adjusted by individual thread IKs there.

Also like y'all were whinging about CCCC rules in Games no one here can help you there.

Amp fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 13, 2021

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cheetah7071 posted:

The hard part is that it's not just the quantity of big jokers, but the size and jpg-ness that matter. I have it on good authority that stix would be on a week probe right now if he had passed the joker through another jpg quality downgrade

256-color gifs might have earned a ban then

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

cheetah7071 posted:

I can say from experience that the stressful part of being a mod isn't stux, it's stuff like this thread lol

Still better than qcs though

yes, part of the problem was having to review slapfights between tedious wieners, which almost never warranted any moderation action, and then having to deal with the complaints that their posting enemy didn't receive a big enough time out. the idea that the moderators should babysit every thread to make sure you never see a post that is annoying is highly corrosive.

junan_paalla posted:

These long joker posts are really problematic, we need equally wide jokers to even in out

personally i'd just turn my monitor off to see this

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

what puts people off modding are the insane humorless freaks in this thread who if they got hit with a 6 hour probe would lose their minds and send 5 million PMs, who blow up absoluite non issues into rage filled nonsense, generally just a drag to the forums and are at best white noise no one notices or cares about. this feedback thread was extremely quiet and plesaent until very recently and now its filled with people who have never told a joke, wouldnt be able to identify one at five paces, and seemingly exist to be misery elementals. no idea why anyone would care about what any of you have to say, or why they should.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Saxophone posted:

i don't think that's what happened, exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Saxophone posted:

you realize that he was probated for using the word, right? why are you making things up to be worried about?