Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i dont think thats why arise sold well on pc

Every JRPG they've made without anime sells about 17 times as well as the anime ones. Which is incidentally the average age of most JRPG protagonists, to their detriment. Give me senility as a mechanic, let me go fight a windmill!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RareAcumen posted:

Every JRPG they've made without anime sells about 17 times as well as the anime ones. Which is incidentally the average age of most JRPG protagonists, to their detriment. Give me senility as a mechanic, let me go fight a windmill!

*looks at definitely anime-free series Monster Hunter*

:thunk:

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I would like the same amount of anime please.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

i would like to hear which jrpgs you consider "without anime" that are also bestsellers

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Elswyyr posted:

i would like to hear which jrpgs you consider "without anime" that are also bestsellers

Lol the only one I could come up with was the first Dark Souls and only sort of; there’s a lot a anime in there under the surface.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TheMightyBoops posted:

Lol the only one I could come up with was the first Dark Souls and only sort of; there’s a lot a anime in there under the surface.

Dark souls proudly references Berserk.

A lot

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

Dark souls proudly references Berserk.

A lot

I know. I’m sorry. It’s the closest I got.

Edit: Manga is way older than video games; I don’t think it’s actually possible to come up with one.

Edit: so is anime.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 13, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

RareAcumen posted:

dude how many people have said something about arise to the effect of "drat this game is ANIME" already

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Its also insane because this year we had Monster Hunter Stories 2, the shounen and super anime turn-based JRPG spin-off of Monster Hunter, just had the biggest JRPG release of all time on steam this year.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
turns out people just like jrpgs and if you market them well they will sell well. hosed up

frankly older tales pc launches did pretty well too. the ones that sold the least were the rereleases of symphonia and vesperia, but zestiria did well and honestly berseria did not sell much worse. arise is just a way more polished and bigger budget game with a much stronger marketing push

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No they will only buy the JRPG with the least anime.

Like Dragon Ball Z Kakorat

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Unrelated: Arise is on both PS4 and PS5; is this one of those situations where it's designed for last-gen but is also on next-gen for business reasons, or one of those situations where it's designed for next-gen and is also on last-gen because nobody has bought a next-gen console yet? (what I'm asking is, does the PS4 version run like rear end)

I have to ask after I got burned on the X360 version of Shadow of Mordor

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The first Ogre Battle? There anime in that?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
much like noted anime fighting game franchise guilty gear, ogre battle: the march of the black queen was also influenced by the band queen

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Colonel posted:

much like noted anime fighting game franchise guilty gear, ogre battle: the march of the black queen was also influenced by the band queen

which is basically anime

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

TheMightyBoops posted:

The first Ogre Battle? There anime in that?

yeah

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I got one! Pro Evolution Soccer, is there anime in that?

I’ll stop now. I feel like I accomplish something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TheMightyBoops posted:

I got one! Pro Evolution Soccer, is there anime in that?

Is that a JRPG? I think it's more of a strategy game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's no power pro-kun pocket

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

loquacius posted:

Unrelated: Arise is on both PS4 and PS5; is this one of those situations where it's designed for last-gen but is also on next-gen for business reasons, or one of those situations where it's designed for next-gen and is also on last-gen because nobody has bought a next-gen console yet? (what I'm asking is, does the PS4 version run like rear end)

It's on both because it was in production for a long time and there's no reason they didn't just tick "old gen" in ue4's build options. The demo is available for PS4, it runs real well.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the last two ps4 tales games were uprezzed ps3 games, lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbf berseria ran at 60 on ps4 as opposed to 30 on ps3

now as for why it could run at 60fps on ps4 but zestiria couldn't,

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
doing litmus tests on how anime a japanese property is while crunchyroll and touhou are getting mention in the newspaper funny pages
we have already been left behind

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 13, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Try to make a joke

Oh god everyone's taking me seriously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwLCjZVEtpE

Anyway there's only one anime series that's more popular than the games deserve right now and that's Sonic

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
RareAcumen, famous anime hater

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what's anime

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Berseria was so good. I would have definitely taken another similar game before arise.

Edit:

RareAcumen posted:

Try to make a joke

Anyway there's only one anime series that's more popular than the games deserve right now and that's Sonic

I honestly just wanted to see if I could come up with one.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 13, 2021

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Hwurmp posted:

what's anime

It's a Japanese word meaning "very good".

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Try to make a joke

what the gently caress

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sonic is also good

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Levantine posted:

It's a Japanese word meaning "very good".

I should get a tattoo of that

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
If any piece of media has a teen protagonist, it's anime.

Sorry folks I don't make the rules, blame Webster's.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What nagging trends does Arise discard to make it more palatable to a new audience?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It doesn’t. It actually plays much safer than the previous entry.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I really think it's just smaller heads and bigger noses.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Elswyyr posted:

The dofus/wakfu series.

it's franime

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/463409779587547147/887119256658001930/nod.mp4

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Evil Fluffy posted:

*looks at definitely anime-free series Monster Hunter*

:thunk:

I guess I could've also pointed out the most obvious response: Pokemon. It's literally the biggest, most profitable IP in the world and by a significant margin. SwSh have sold over 20 million copies and counting (and the games aren't even the main money maker).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

loquacius posted:

It is an identical game, but runs smoother and prettier better on PS5 and Series X. The real advantage is you do a lot of fast traveling in the game and the difference in load times is a big ol deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

RareAcumen posted:

This post, this bit, and this idea all suck.

Anime is good.