Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

WarpedLichen posted:

Goddamn I nearly rage quit the game after the last second fake out in the final realization. That is a total dick move to spend an hour just to see unavoidable death coming your way. The final card could've unlocked one scene earlier with absolutely no difference in gameplay.

you have to have faith!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

GilliamYaeger posted:

More than a good chance, since it's one of the main ways to defend against guns in-game. That said, guns are still very dangerous - even Colors like Kali can only deflect so many attacks before they start hitting them, and unlike swords guns don't require much training or augmentation to use. There's a very good reason why the Head puts so many restrictions on the things - they break the intended power curve of the City and allow the weak to take out the strong, even just through sheer force of numbers. Give some Rats a top quality blade and suit and they're still trash, but give them some AK-47s and they might be able to kill someone important before going down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-SEMThCjUU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I kinda hope one of the Limbus characters is Mars' mom or Finn's (I think) sister since we got to hear about how tough they are.

Nea posted:

I can't help but laugh at the person in the LP thread talking about how the city runs on cyberpunk logic and not anime logic. they have no idea how wrong that is. we haven't even gotten to 'one of the reasons people don't often use guns is because if you're going up against a pretty decent guy, not even the best guy, there's a good chance they might be able to deflect it with a sword'

I had a laugh at the guy talking about 'how would an accountant rank up' when I thought of Life Insurance. :v:

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I think you guys could probably stand to keep it in your pants a bit more in the LP thread, tbh. 'Colours' as anything beyond a cool nickname Gebura used to have don't get mentioned until the Full-Stop reception and you're all going at it

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I could have sworn it came up in the LC artbook or DD but that might have been a fever dream.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Finally done with the game. Last section was very difficult. Are there any cards that will actually beat a 40-50 summation attack? I haven't seen one yet.

The more I play the game the more I think emotion levels are a bad mechanic as it currently is. A lot of fights are unrecoverable if the enemy is at high emotion and you start at zero. Likewise the light refill makes the combat pacing very awkward. You need to run a lot of light refill or else you get stuck doing nothing once you're at 5. Meanwhile early game, you just clash brainlessly with your best cards. At the same time, all the really powerful toys you get tend to cost 4+ light to play so they're just dead draws early on. 9 page deck is tiny too.

All in all, still a pretty fun game.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can with enough power stacking. Particulakry with cards like rapid gashes or divinatory impact.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ZeroCount posted:

I think you guys could probably stand to keep it in your pants a bit more in the LP thread, tbh. 'Colours' as anything beyond a cool nickname Gebura used to have don't get mentioned until the Full-Stop reception and you're all going at it

Hey I was careful to keep things within the region of "stuff we just learned from the yun's office reception and/or already knew from lobcorp"

power level debate is eternal

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

WarpedLichen posted:

Finally done with the game. Last section was very difficult. Are there any cards that will actually beat a 40-50 summation attack? I haven't seen one yet.

The more I play the game the more I think emotion levels are a bad mechanic as it currently is. A lot of fights are unrecoverable if the enemy is at high emotion and you start at zero. Likewise the light refill makes the combat pacing very awkward. You need to run a lot of light refill or else you get stuck doing nothing once you're at 5. Meanwhile early game, you just clash brainlessly with your best cards. At the same time, all the really powerful toys you get tend to cost 4+ light to play so they're just dead draws early on. 9 page deck is tiny too.

All in all, still a pretty fun game.

The 9 page cycling deck is one of Ruina's best points imo, it means decks are more about flowing well than the usual card game experience of "well you died, draw cards better next time"

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 12, 2021

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
I think it's more that the rank of 'Colour' has not yet been clarified in setting (I don't think Gebs was referred to as such in LC, but I might remember wrong), so her whole title being like an administrative/organizational thing rather than just a badass nickname is the spoilery bit.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Theantero posted:

I think it's more that the rank of 'Colour' has not yet been clarified in setting (I don't think Gebs was referred to as such in LC, but I might remember wrong), so her whole title being like an administrative/organizational thing rather than just a badass nickname is the spoilery bit.
I could have sworn that there was a mention of Gebura being given a Color by the Head somewhere in LC...but looking through things it seems that the first mention was on Project Moon's twitter account back in 2019.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Yinlock posted:

The 9 page cycling deck is one of Ruina's best points imo, it means decks are more about flowing well than the usual card game experience of "well you died, draw cards better next time"

That sorta still happens - I think the main thing is that it makes the slots you use for energy regen/card draw more obvious.

I think the ideal in my head would've been smaller scale fights (3 vs 3) and everybody having the purple tear ability to switch decks for 0 light. Also get rid of assistant librarians and just let you pick a team of main characters.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

Theantero posted:

She was the red mist, but otherwise I think the closest we had were the "Fixer in X" white ordeals.

I'm still a little sad they don't show up in Library of Ruina, but clearly Laserface Jim was just too strong and thus not allowed a boss fight.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
So I was looking up library departments out of curiosity because of the question in the main thread and...huh. The Library is structured on the Dewey Decimal system.

LukasR23 posted:

She was the red mist, but otherwise I think the closest we had were the "Fixer in X" white ordeals.

I'm still a little sad they don't show up in Library of Ruina, but clearly Laserface Jim was just too strong and thus not allowed a boss fight.
It's noted in a discussion between Gebura and an unknown third party (on the Project Moon Twitter) that a Fixer named Vergil has inherited Gebura's Red color and is considered to be "the most dangerous" Fixer in the City, though not the strongest. So there might be a Laserface Vergil running around the City.

quote:

1: Hey.
2: Yes, did you call.
1: ... Who is the strongest?
2: Of course the one in front of me.
1: No, in the City. Who is the strongest fixer?

2: Hm... Unlike in the past there isn't a consensus... Some say it's the fixer of the Great Lake, others say Hagen, Ungen, Zick, Artos, Jade Kirin, and some even say its that bastard Renaud, there are a lost of good candidates. I haven't met most of them.. There are only a lot of rumors.

2: But there are still tavern brawls on this subject? And if you include the other Associations and Wings the list is endless.
1: It was like that during my time too. My reputation was overblown.
2: Was it? Based on what I've seen there were no exaggerations.

1: I better ask differently. Who do you think is the most dangerous?
2: My vote is on the fixer Virgil.
1: Then they probably got a Color.
2: Yes. They even got your Color. Anyway, I thought you didn't care for such ranking?

1: ...I became a bit curious now that I have a more distant perspective of the City.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 12, 2021

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

GilliamYaeger posted:

So I was looking up library departments out of curiosity because of the question in the main thread and...huh. The Library is structured on the Dewey Decimal system.

That's really cool. They're even in the same order, if you just look at upper/middle/lower!

...why is computer science under 000 and not under technology or science.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Qrr posted:

That's really cool. They're even in the same order, if you just look at upper/middle/lower!

...why is computer science under 000 and not under technology or science.
Tech/Science is really more chemistry, math and engineering than IT and data processing.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Urban Nightmare deck building questions.
I just got Kim's page which seems very powerful for a slash deck. So far I've beaten the sweepers and barely beat the index, so I've put together a singleton pierce deck which seems to be working ok. Any suggestions for a slash deck for Kim, or any other powerful things to try? I'm definitely starting to struggle.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Razakai posted:

I just got Kim's page which seems very powerful for a slash deck. So far I've beaten the sweepers and barely beat the index, so I've put together a singleton pierce deck which seems to be working ok. Any suggestions for a slash deck for Kim, or any other powerful things to try? I'm definitely starting to struggle.

Things I find work really well in Urban Nightmare:
Singleton Sweeper - get a speed dice onto the Sweepers, then run all a full sweeper team. Kinda just rolls over everything because your healing outpaces the damage. Just pile in on one guy and the heal on kill will top you off.

I think a slash deck doesn't work out too great until you get the Shi association cards. Dante's stuff is ok but you're really missing draw until you can get To Overcome Crisis. Whereas you get everything you need for sweepers from their one fight and it carries you till Star of the City no problem.

The other really strong thing in Urban Nightmare is to do the 3rd branch first and go all in on blunt. But full sweeper is the easiest.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Razakai posted:

One thing to note about Kim is that their signature page is really cool and also very much a trap. It requires you lose a clash as Kim with a single dice page, which is... not common, and if you do manage it you're probably getting very badly hurt.

There are a lot of good slash cards, you don't need to only use single die ones, +2 power is already a ton. Crack of Dawn is nice for a while, as an example.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Razakai posted:

Attach Sayo's page and a bunch of other bleed infliction passives then run 3xDraw of the Sword, 3xFlash of Sunup and 3xSharpened Blade.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

GilliamYaeger posted:

Attach Sayo's page and a bunch of other bleed infliction passives then run 3xDraw of the Sword, 3xFlash of Sunup and 3xSharpened Blade.

That seems bad to me because sharpened blade kinda doesn't win clashes unless you stack two of them. Like if you're not playing double Slay is better and it's still not that great. Even a single buffed flash of sunup is a 3-7 roll that's an average Urban Nightmare card before buffs.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

WarpedLichen posted:

That seems bad to me because sharpened blade kinda doesn't win clashes unless you stack two of them. Like if you're not playing double Slay is better and it's still not that great. Even a single buffed flash of sunup is a 3-7 roll that's an average Urban Nightmare card before buffs.
Sharpened Blade on Kim (with Sayo appended) is running at +5 power. It's actually rolling 6-8 6-8 4-5. As you said, that's more than enough to win most clashes in Nightmare. And since you're running three of them chances are you will be stacking double Sharpened Blades more often than you'd expect, so it's usually 8-10 8-10 4-5.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 13, 2021

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
So I'm stuck in SOTC. I'm at 47/48 Abnos only available one is price of silence...fuuuuck price of silence and have completed the 1st, 2nd, and 4th columns. Xiao stage 2 is kicking my rear end, I can't seem to beat her. Do people try with the first floors that have ego, or the Geb/Binah floors with the powerful librarians

So, could I please have some advice on the two fights mentioned above.

Also, I think this game would be dramatically improved without the book burning mechanic. It's ludicrously frustrating to beat a difficult slog fight like Purple, only get 4 books, and not get the character book. I wish the character books were guaranteed

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

IAmThatIs posted:

So I'm stuck in SOTC. I'm at 47/48 Abnos only available one is price of silence...fuuuuck price of silence and have completed the 1st, 2nd, and 4th columns. Xiao stage 2 is kicking my rear end, I can't seem to beat her. Do people try with the first floors that have ego, or the Geb/Binah floors with the powerful librarians

Also, I think this game would be dramatically improved without the book burning mechanic. It's ludicrously frustrating to beat a difficult slog fight like Purple, only get 4 books, and not get the character book. I wish the character books were guaranteed
Xiao is probably the hardest fight in the game. My best advice is to engage with the mechanics properly - make sure to win a clash against the stagger card every other turn. Also, lead with Yesod - her stagger doesn't regenerate between floors so hitting her with Regret will make the fight way easier, then finish her off with Binah and bleed. Chesed is better than Gebura if you need a third floor since Courage comes up super fast as opposed to Gebura needing Emotion 3 to transform. If you want turbo cheese, give your best keypage Red Mist and Myo and put them on Yesod's floor - Strongest + Prowess + that one abno page on Yesod's floor that sets your speed to 1 = all speed dice set to infinite, +5 power on all attacks. As for the other thing you're having trouble with, Price of Silence is easier than you think - the trick is to just autobattle every turn then pluck out the trap cards from the randomized lineup before you hit space.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 13, 2021

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
The Myongest Yesod is really good at book grinding. Request marks the target and killing them with the one holding the Abnormality pages doubles the book drop and Myongest is such a force to be reckoned with. The only downside is that he kills the enemy too fast, so I have to deliberately hold myself back.

The only other option for book grinding is Hokma. More specifically, WhiteNight Tier III card. That is obtained just before the endgame. Okay...

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IAmThatIs posted:

Do you have PT?

The easiest way to beat Xiao is to take the Smiling Face (I forget which) that has +Stagger from Smoke (Sooty Thwack I think?) and give everyone some Inhale Smoke and Great Serpent's Impacts. Put them on Yesod's floor with Concussion (+blunt stagger), puppet skeleton, battle ready and so on then use Great Serpent's Impact and cards with the strongest blunt dice you have (I think Wrath of Torment and Steel Knuckles are the most efficient?) and Regret to burn through stagger.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

WarpedLichen posted:

Divinatory Impact is a 30-47, so with some power boosting you'd have decent odds of blocking with that. Next best are probably Rapid Gashes and Blind Faith, which are both 18-29, although Rapid Gashes scales better with power. Some EGO pages like Logging(25-36, x4 strength multiplier) also work.

The key though is doing power stacking stuff, like Augury Kick Mirinae and abnormality pages like Pulsation or Loyalty. With like +10 strength you could block it with Focused Strikes.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I'm at the Keter Realization and I am seeing what people are saying about the end game just going on and on. The Ensemble fight was fun -- the only one that gave me real trouble was Hokma's floor, where I had to cheese it with Damage On Clash cards, while the rest was mostly getting totally dunked on by accident when fights would change phases and I'd end up with just a full team of completely unequipped librarians. To be honest I just want to go back and burn a few books because I am realizing that I'm missing a few key ones after 101112? boss fights.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Malkuth realization:

I thought I figured out what was going on, ok this is just a boss rush, queen is down which is good cause I'm barely alive!
Then the final phase starts. Was not expecting that.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The day the first realization showed up in early access was full of surprises for everyone

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
I'd like to correct an above poster, it's very very important to run Kim's signature card and lose with it a lot, because that's how you get his bamboo hat and it is siiiiiiiiick.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

GilliamYaeger posted:

Xiao is probably the hardest fight in the game.
As for the other thing...just autobattle every turn

Ok, that makes me feel better haha I'll try out y'alls strategies, I've apparently been underappreciating Yesod!

And genius!! I've never used the auto battle feature, so I never would have thought of that

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

lets hang out posted:

The day the first realization showed up in early access was full of surprises for everyone

It was so fun. Can't wait for Limbus fridays :allears:

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Quick Lobotomy Corporation question: how much do I need to worry about dragging days out to grind stats? I just wrapped up day 5 and I could see this being important long-term if the balance is really tight, but also it is insanely boring and doesn't seem necessary so far.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Towards the end I stopped even bothering to block mass attacks beyond a token effort because the numbers get so dumb that there's no point

RoboCicero posted:

I'm at the Keter Realization and I am seeing what people are saying about the end game just going on and on. The Ensemble fight was fun -- the only one that gave me real trouble was Hokma's floor, where I had to cheese it with Damage On Clash cards, while the rest was mostly getting totally dunked on by accident when fights would change phases and I'd end up with just a full team of completely unequipped librarians. To be honest I just want to go back and burn a few books because I am realizing that I'm missing a few key ones after 101112? boss fights.

Sadly you cannot burn books again until you've beaten the game and there's no longer a point to doing so

The good news is your pages won't be limited ever again and the Realization gives you checkpoints between each fight so you can lose and rearrange decks as much as you want(though they also use this as an excuse to boil a couple fights down to "hope you rolled high lol")

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

IAmThatIs posted:

Ok, that makes me feel better haha I'll try out y'alls strategies, I've apparently been underappreciating Yesod!

And genius!! I've never used the auto battle feature, so I never would have thought of that

Another Xiao Protip: when starting the 2nd phase use a fresh floor since her emotion will be low and you can slowly build up, when team 2 burns to death switch to your already-emotional round 1 team and finish the boss. I typically use Gebura for round 1 and Binah to weaken her, then back to Gebura for the finisher. It's never pretty but you can beat her fairly consistently this way without much super-specific strategy.

Also Binah has that abno page that makes someone immune to burn which makes that librarian almost immortal until everyone else dies and Xiao can focus on them, a lot of her damage is tied up in her ridiculous burn-stacking

Weirdly enough I find part 1 of that fight to be almost as difficult, the team-up card and how fast they gain emotion always leaves my round 1 floor in absolute shambles by the end, but i'm also bad so

Irony.or.Death posted:

Quick Lobotomy Corporation question: how much do I need to worry about dragging days out to grind stats? I just wrapped up day 5 and I could see this being important long-term if the balance is really tight, but also it is insanely boring and doesn't seem necessary so far.

The final days(and super-bosses) will run a lot smoother the more maxed-out folks you have, but you don't have to do it super-early. You'll eventually get abnormalities that will rocket up one stat or other and fully training someone barely takes any time at all.

It's worth taking an extra meltdown or two to buff your agents up early on but you shouldn't really go nuts about it until you unlock Training's stuff which speeds up the process by a ton

e: minimum-wise all you really need is enough super-agents to hold all your Aleph and good WAW gear, everyone else is just +1 deathball power or a spare hand to work a meltdown when poo poo is going down(which is very helpful but not entirely necessary)

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Sep 14, 2021

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

don't believe any slander about kims exclusive card. either it wins, and its kim so it probably just wins, or you get to use the coolest* card in the game

* id also accept boundary of death

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Varinn posted:

don't believe any slander about kims exclusive card. either it wins, and its kim so it probably just wins, or you get to use the coolest* card in the game

* id also accept boundary of death

boundary of death is only for the most skilled card game warriors

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Finished the Keter Realization, finally. Thank you for all the help! I think I'm just about burnt out though, so I'm going to read the wikipedia (and TeeQueue LP!) for the plot of any remaining fights. It's really cool that you get Pluto's contracts from his keypage, but the fact that they can activate automatically if you're not careful and that the penalties are just as steep as during his Ensemble fight just makes it not worth it.

So, for some endgame plot clarification -- it turns out that Carmen and her plan for the light was that every person could Distortion-fy themselves at will with the reasoning that if this happens, no one will be able to be more powerful than anyone else (because everyone will have ~distortion powers~). Ultimately though, Angela rejects this and returns the Light that the library has been collecting via un-booking everyone, and almost fades away in the process (because she's constructed out of Light?) before Roland stops her from going through with it. Did I understand that right?

also god bless Ultra Instinct Binah for carrying half of these fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

RoboCicero posted:

Finished the Keter Realization, finally. Thank you for all the help! I think I'm just about burnt out though, so I'm going to read the wikipedia (and TeeQueue LP!) for the plot of any remaining fights. It's really cool that you get Pluto's contracts from his keypage, but the fact that they can activate automatically if you're not careful and that the penalties are just as steep as during his Ensemble fight just makes it not worth it.

So, for some endgame plot clarification -- it turns out that Carmen and her plan for the light was that every person could Distortion-fy themselves at will with the reasoning that if this happens, no one will be able to be more powerful than anyone else (because everyone will have ~distortion powers~). Ultimately though, Angela rejects this and returns the Light that the library has been collecting via un-booking everyone, and almost fades away in the process (because she's constructed out of Light?) before Roland stops her from going through with it. Did I understand that right?

also god bless Ultra Instinct Binah for carrying half of these fights.
If you've beaten Keter you literally have two fights left, and they're both basically victory laps. They're worth doing.

Regarding Carmen's plan...The heavy implication that I gathered is that Angela's interference caused her to Distort. Her original plan was almost certainly to either give everyone EGO like Kali, Xiao and Moses, or just give everyone empathy again like you see with all the Guests (who were explicitly affected by the Light the most deeply out of everyone) but Angela's coup at the end of LC drove her insane. What she's doing now runs counter to everything we saw out of her in flashbacks. Could you imagine Light!Carmen freaking out like the original Carmen did after being accused by Tiphereth?

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 14, 2021