Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I probated for a couple of them. Some of the posts are borderline and I don't want to shut down too many posters during a debate about Games moderation, so I'll issue another warning to simmer down, take a deep breath, and not turn this debate into another angry slapfight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

free stux

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

at this point the games feedback thread has devolved into a general stux-chat thread and honestly does not seem to have much hope for returning to a straightforward games forum/modding feedback thread; it probably belongs in CCCC or failing that simply gassed and given a fresh start imo

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

FAUXTON posted:

at this point the games feedback thread has devolved into a general stux-chat thread and honestly does not seem to have much hope for returning to a straightforward games forum/modding feedback thread; it probably belongs in CCCC or failing that simply gassed and given a fresh start imo

I hope someone shoves you in a locker

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
no keep this one I put a cute atelier gif in the op

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

FAUXTON posted:

From the way people have been discussing the issue, it feels like any thread Stux posts in quickly devolves into Stux-chat and that’s one of the problems?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

From the way people have been discussing the issue, it feels like any thread Stux posts in quickly devolves into Stux-chat and that’s one of the problems?

it doesn't happen in games chat thread

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Stux posted:

and now its filled with people who have never told a joke, wouldnt be able to identify one at five paces, and

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Hi please don't attempt to harass me.

I legitimately don't know where to report this, but it's as a result of this thread so yeah.

Saxophone fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 14, 2021

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

It seems like this only happens in bad threads and threads where people cannot handle his opinions that go against the general consensus.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mordiceius posted:

well limiting it specifically to this thread in particular, if the thread can't stay on topic in the face of some shitposts and slapfights it probably should just be closed

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Saxophone posted:

I legitimately don't know where to report this, but it's as a result of this thread so yeah.

Someone messaging you once encouraging you to have a more positive outlook on life isn't harassment lmao

FAUXTON posted:

well limiting it specifically to this thread in particular, if the thread can't stay on topic in the face of some shitposts and slapfights it probably should just be closed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9O94UTDAJQ

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

honestly i was convinced you were joking and that you apparently weren't has me seriously hosed up right now

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

Someone messaging you once encouraging you to have a more positive outlook on life isn't harassment lmao

Yeah, no, we both know this wasn't out of concern for me, so maybe don't pretend.

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007

Saxophone posted:

That seems like pretty good advice tbh. What's the issue?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Saxophone posted:

in theory, PMs are the admin's domain to handle because they aren't part of any specific subforum. But also they aren't very good at it because only Jeff can verify the contents of PMs and he really doesn't want to

but in practice I'm not sure how much the admins actually do. At least astral coded it so you don't have to see PMs from ignored users. Sorry they're bothering you, hope they stop.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 14, 2021

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Why did you click when it said jerk detected then got mad it was a jerk

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

see, this kind of vulgar non-response is really unhelpful and a prime example of what the feedback thread has become.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
close thread, it's getting QCS levels of haraembarrassing (harassing/embarrassing)

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

please knock Mom! posted:

Why did you click when it said jerk detected then got mad it was a jerk

Legitimately I had never received one from an ignored user and didn't know 1) you even could and 2) didn't realize it happened until after.

That person is also sending other posters similar messages with content dredged up from unrelated threads.

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007
[veins popping out on my forehead] I'm so sick of these loving haters wishing me well.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

oddium posted:

free stux
ill take one

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
can someone help me fix my jerk detector, whenever i put the batteries back in it just goes off non stop

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

loving getting sealioned. :lol:

"Oh take their advice - whats your problem. So nice. Why are you so mad."

For those who don't know:

Trolls use it all the time to rile people up and be like - oh, why are you so mad...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Brian Worms posted:

[veins popping out on my forehead] I'm so sick of these loving haters wishing me well.

I hope you get through this all right and have a blessed week. That said, someone getting this mad about a feedback thread raises the underlying question - is this still a feedback thread if someone is this mad?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Harrow posted:

Yeah I probated for a couple of them. Some of the posts are borderline and I don't want to shut down too many posters during a debate about Games moderation, so I'll issue another warning to simmer down, take a deep breath, and not turn this debate into another angry slapfight.

So my actual serious games forum mod feedback is that giving probations to people for their tone when making entirely correct posts, while letting bad posters keep on whining and whole-rear end making poo poo up, really loving sucks. Throw long probes or bans at Saxophone and FAUXTON for making GBS threads up the feedback thread with this garbage and let the topic drop.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vintersorg posted:

loving getting sealioned. :lol:

"Oh take their advice - whats your problem. So nice. Why are you so mad."

For those who don't know:

Trolls use it all the time to rile people up and be like - oh, why are you so mad...

Genuinely can’t believe someone made this post, is this a bit?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

please knock Mom! posted:

Genuinely can’t believe someone made this post, is this a bit?

Truth hurts.

Like, legit some posters wouldn't be out of place on 4chan or some subreddits with their bullshit.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Vintersorg posted:

Truth hurts.

Like, legit some posters wouldn't be out of place on 4chan or some subreddits with their bullshit.

you just made a post that word for word reads like my grandmother on Facebook I don't think you have a good sense for what those places are like

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Shortest Path posted:

So my actual serious games forum mod feedback is that giving probations to people for their tone when making entirely correct posts, while letting bad posters keep on whining and whole-rear end making poo poo up, really loving sucks. Throw long probes or bans at Saxophone and FAUXTON for making GBS threads up the feedback thread with this garbage and let the topic drop.

I hope your posting grudge against whatever I posted to make you upset is short-lived, but you have my sincerest apology for whatever slight you feel I made against you. I'm sure you're a fine person with a bright future ahead, but what I'm not sure about is whether the games forum feedback thread is an appropriate venue for beseeching mod vengeance for yourself. Again, wishing you the best.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

one thing i would like is if the moderators would come by and post in the league of legends thread every now and then. maybe dust off their old accounts and play. i feel like the mods arent posting enough. fluffdaddy was posting there earlier but the mods should to

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Close the thread for a bit and cool everyone off again imo Harrow, maybe wait until the other Games mods can weigh in? Feels like until there's more discussion to have people are just going to slapfight each other.

Do re-open it though, this stuff needs to be discussed through to some sort of resolution or it'll just keep bubbling up over and over.

I think Stux's troll posts are harmless and easily ignored and his gaming opinions are often interesting even if I don't personally agree with them.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Doublestep posted:

you just made a post that word for word reads like my grandmother on Facebook I don't think you have a good sense for what those places are like

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

tbh it's awfully nice of that sealion in the comic to try to have a civil debate in the face of such disgusting anti-sealion bigotry.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I'm closing this for a bit to let things cool off.

I will have a response to all this stuff (or, like, most of it, whatever can actually be responded to) tomorrow.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Srice posted:

tbh it's awfully nice of that sealion in the comic to try to have a civil debate in the face of such disgusting anti-sealion bigotry.

Yeah the extremely ironic part of that comic is that the sealion is completely in the right, the artist was extraordinarily bad at making the point he was trying to make.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mod Post

So we've definitely gotten a lot of feedback today. Gonna close this thread so w can consider all of it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hello everyone.

I have been catching up with all the posts in this thread and due to being away for the last four days with a mix of work and pleasure I have enough time to try to form my thoughts on all of it and I am going to try and get them out in a coherent way.

Firstly Harrow is doing an amazing job replying to all this and I am sorry not to have been able to properly slot in until now.

I have been a Games mod going on nearly 6 years (December will be the anniversary) and I have seen this place change and grow from where it was to where it is. Back when I started Games was in the top 3 most visited forums and generated tons, and tons, of reports and slap fights and angry posting. It had a reputation of being the miserable place on the forums to talk about video gaming and people saw it as a place where the only reason you would ever post here is to be negative. Liking things was ironic and it was as if people were fearful of being sincere about liking games. This is why Imp Zone exists. I like Imp Zone a lot even if I do not feel funny enough to post regularly. It is a general joke forum about video gaming created during a time where games was its direct opposite.

Mods previous to me (as I have seen 11 games mods come and go alongside me) were actually some of the most probe heavy across all of SA. I think Louisgod might have had one of the highest records for this.

Six years later and Games is STILL in the top three visited forums, sometimes number 1 over C-spam and GBS depending on the time of day. It generates very few reports, it has much friendly tone all over the place, there are more general communities in threads, reports are few and far between and the place still has a bit of leftover reputation as being miserable but I think it is wrong. The gen chat thread is a wonderfully supportive place full of so many posters who genuinely look after each other and welcome people in to talk about stuff. Jokes are made way more across the board and people post all the time in sincere ways about liking stuff. Threads are left to be more self policing and mods generally let discussions work themselves out. We view modding as something that should be for things that really truly impact threads and serious crimes and whatnot. We also view modding as facilitating what the majority wants rather than imposing strict rules on every thread as Games is huge and things will get by. We trust you to pm us, report for us and talk to us about things and whether you believe they go against the 'Games posting spirit'.

If this style of modding is bad, then do not blame Harrow or Nikkolasking, please blame me. I am the one who slowly implemented this style when I was looking after Games and every mod who has joined after me has taken my lead and evolved with it.

I do not think jokes should be probated unless they are slur laden and just purely offensive statements. I let a lot of stuff go because people disagreeing with each other is what gives us a discussion forum. I have always wanted way more positivity in Games from the get go and have worked a lot to be positive and sincere in order to let people feel they could. I genuinely think in the olden days Games did deter people from being joyful about stuff because angry irony was the big thing. I do not think it is that way any more and I am tremendously proud of this forum. It has ups and downs but it has remained one of the most heavily trafficed areas on the site and the amount of bad stuff we have seen has fallen drastically.

I also like that we have varied personalities amongst the regulars. I do not hand out many probes, because again I feel most of the threads I see are self policing enough. People can call stuff out and can argue and discuss. That sort of thing is not what moderators should be for. Now if the argument gets super heated and goes on for pages, then we will absolutely step in and do something, but most are done and dusted and require nothing.

One thing that all us mods here in Games have strived to do, and one thing I make it my biggest priority, is to be available and accountable for any mod decisions I make. I will do my utter best to respond to any query of why I modded in such a way and if I am incredibly wrong I will rectify it as best as I can. I make mistakes. I am only human. Nothing we do here in Games is set in stone and none of our rules are rigid. There is context for absolutely everything and while some posts may possibly 'break the rules' they do not always. This is why I make sure to give my thoughts and feelings.

I like that we have a whole range of varied posters with their styles and I know some can be inflammatory jokers but at the same time I would not want this place to be sanitised too much. Stux can be a big pain and I have probed him in the past for it. The judgement on whether long jokers is enough of a thread derail is something we can discuss here, but I stand on the side of it being an extremely absurdist joke and probing it for six hours rather than timging it or editing it out feels like an overreaction.

Again, I could be wrong but from what I have read up to this point there is no consensus. Stux posts in other thread are usually on topic and despite how they are written they can be 'deciphered' to have truths; like his love for anodyne 2.
Some posters have 'character' and may be a bit larger than life and if they do go on a tear across multiple threads then they do get probed. Perhaps we are too lenient on certain things but I have felt that Games should have a bit of adventure and friction and that it is healthy to have a discussion space where people are opposed in opinion (as long as they are not the heinous kinds of things).

I have rambled a lot and we will open the thread again and all three of us will be around to talk when we can. I have some evening plans but tomorrow night is pretty empty for me and I will do my best to reply while at work too. I am on UK time so my posting is at odds with the general forum timeline.

Once again, thank you so much to everyone for posting and thank you for making Games a great place to be. I truly love this place and am happy that it has remained such a big part of the forums while quietning down so much. You are all wonderful.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

While Video Games has provided us all with a lovely, deeply thoughtful post on his thoughts on Games moderation, I am here with a digest of the funniest posts about the "Stux-Stadia Clown Wars," just in case any of you were too busy to keep up.

oddium posted:

why don't you start a new thread to talk about stadia but name it something he has no interest in and won't check. may i suggest the "showering daily thread" :D

Terrible Opinions posted:

Honestly the Stadia thread might well die without Stux. They're the third highest count poster and the other two high post counts seem to be mostly getting mad at Stux.

Asema posted:

what happened to the 30 day probation + ban combo

multijoe posted:

We still have that, for when people post death threats, or lurid hate speech. It's historically seen less use for posting too much Big Joker

brand engager posted:

Remember when problematic meant like sex ciminals and poo poo, before people used it to describe someone who posted a big picture of the joker or whatever

cheetah7071 posted:

well, it was a very big picture

ArfJason posted:

Wtf stux is stealing my methods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Quick update: we're going to reopen this thread tomorrow when all of the Games mods can be around to respond to feedback and answer questions. We know people probably have a lot to say and questions they'd like answered, so we're going to make sure that can actually happen and it isn't just radio silence from the mod side of things today.