Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
:siren: FDA approved boosters for anyone 6 months out (2 months out from J&J) and over 16 years old. Go get your dang boosters goons, MAX TITERS. :siren:

mod edit: professor beetus is the IK of the coronavirus thread

So, you're in the Covid-19 thread. What is Covid-19, or SARS-COV-2, you may be asking? Covid-19, or Covid to save three precious keystrokes, is a novel virus that is currently the biggest global health crisis of the last hundred years, and- Okay yeah I'm gonna stop now, because at this point unless there are newborn babies posting on SA, we are all aware of Covid-19. This thread is an attempt to provide a place for goons to find resources and information, to ask questions of fellow knowledgeable goons (must stress that we do not have a credentialing system for self-professed subject matter experts, so standard disclaimers about not taking medical advice from strangers on the internet apply) and yes, to debate and discuss the various complex and interwoven systems that are ensuring that some countries are performing terribly at stopping the spread of this deadly pandemic. ( :911: )

As far as thread rules, please try to treat each other like human beings. Politics is serious life and death poo poo, especially when it comes to an ongoing pandemic ravaging society, but most people in this thread are in agreement that a) deadly viruses are bad and b) governments should generally be doing more to help stop the spread.

New Rule as of 9/20/21: If you post a link to a pre-print study, you must include the conflicting interest statement from said pre-print in your post. Thanks.

Regarding thread bans: Current threadbans: Vasukhani, Poll Plane Variant. Subforum bans remain banned from this thread.

Live youtube feed of Covid-19 stats upload in real time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMre6IAAAiU

dwarf74 posted:

I'm not sure if this is helpful for a new OP, being a few months out of date, but here's Total Deaths, All Causes, US, Weekly from a CDC/NCHS dataset I grabbed earlier this year. I put this together to respond to claims about how (a) covid isn't actually killing people, (b) it's not actually that deadly, or (c) deaths are being mislabeled as covid for nefarious reasons.

It's no-frills, but I tried to make it as simple and self-explanatory as possible.

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, I can add excess deaths when I next grab the data set. It's a great set - but really annoying to sanitize because it uses flu season rather than year, and the sorting gets way out of whack. (Example: Week 1 of 2018-19 comes after Week 52 of same, which is great for flu but poo poo for showing spring-summer 2020 for a less-data-literate audience.)

It's also got helpful columns like "flu deaths" and "all respiratory deaths combined". Or used to, last I snagged it.

If you want to play with these numbers yourself, you can get them from https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/fluview/mortality.html - click Downloads and make sure you check all the boxes. It'll spit out a csv file for you. It's been a few months and has changed a few times since I started doing this, so no promises it's the same now or will be in the future.

Goon-made game/simulation to help people understand better how Covid-19 can spread throughout a workplace, courtesy of Coldrice.

:siren: Important Covid-19 resources :siren:

Masks, Vaccines, and Guzzling Horse CumDewormer

:siren: FDA announces approval of Pfizer vaccine for kids 5+ :siren:

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pre...gh-11-years-age

:siren: Goon recommended mask suppliers here: :siren:

Kaal posted:

The Bona Fide KN95s are pretty excellent, and they come in different sizes, styles, and colors. They're Goon-recommended and also recommended by Wirecutter. We ordered a 10-pack to check them out, and then a 50-pack once we knew we liked them.

Website: https://bonafidemasks.com/face-masks/kn95-respirator-face-masks/

Coupons: https://www.wethrift.com/bona-fide-masks#deal=F3A85T8BV

poll plane variant posted:

Honestly upgrading from cloth to N95 or similar 100% of the time is probably the biggest easy thing you can do to protect yourself and others during "open Biden" delta surges. You can find the Asian masks for like 70c a pop on sale. I have a bigger face and these are my favorite for not popping off my chin. https://behealthyusa.net/products/special-blue-kf94-3d-mask-large-black-adult-size-100pcs-special-free-shipping Haven't worn a cloth/surgical since last summer.

:siren: Here's a link to a post I'm calling the "Vaccination Misinformation Reeducation Station," which is a curated reading list covering the antivax movement for those who are interested:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3979298&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post517712653 :siren:

Primer for reading scientific material by Fritz the Horse

Reading about science and you:

quote:

One thing to be aware of if you're viewing all of this from the outside is to straight up not pursue information about recent studies. The scientific apparatus is supposed to work through critical peer review and interpretation of multiple studies of the same subject over time, and "a recent study" coverage in the general press is never, ever going to give you that, even in a situation where the information environment isn't as contaminated as this one. There is not really a substitute for the level of literacy and individual nuance and expertise that comes with directly reading a study and learning the subject. You need to become somewhat comfortable with uncertainty, because no matter how smart you are, uncertainty is the basic nature of the situation.

That said, I did a bunch of effortposts on information and covid for earlier iterations of this thread; they've not been added to the OP yet as I forgot to mention them, so I'll link them here.

Here's one post I wrote on some caveats about which sources of science to trust:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3915397&userid=198104#post503908856

Here's a post on how to read science:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3915397&userid=198104&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post504891860

Here's a post about unhealthy relationships to information and covid:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3915397&pagenumber=504&perpage=40#post504210939

Detailed, nonexhaustive explanation of conspiracy theories and takedown of one of the earliest sources of the Wuhan lab conspiracy:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3915397&userid=198104&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post514737951

Here are some useful basic sources on regulatory and monitoring issues and covid:

Here's the public-facing site for FDA on recent regulatory activity relating to COVID:
https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/counterterrorism-and-emerging-threats/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19

Here's their FAQ page:
https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/covid-19-frequently-asked-questions

Here's the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, which is generally an excellent way to stay up to date on US public health issues generally (but requires greater literacy):
https://www.cdc.gov/MMWr/

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This was a really good breakdown on the evidence of ivermectin effectiveness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0jzRPZogTI

TL;DR,

it does not help

Covax info for goons with too much money and want to try and do some good in developing nations still struggling to get access to vaccines

Kaal posted:

So Covax is the global effort to vaccinate poor countries, and it is run jointly by three organizations: The World Health Organization (WHO), the Gavi vaccine alliance (Gavi), and the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI). WHO and Gavi have set up donation funds that are specific to Covid-19 (CEPI has an investment portal, which is more intended for large-scale funding). WHO is focused on medical training and advocacy efforts, whereas Gavi is focused on vaccine distribution. Here's more information about the Covax program: https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-middle-east-africa-europe-coronavirus-pandemic-5e57879c6cb22d96b942cbc973b9296c

Gavi: https://www.gavi.org/donate

WHO: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/donate

Goon-recommended research-related podcast: https://sphlearn.weebly.com/podcast

I enjoyed and recommend this article by VideoGameVet, written as an open letter to Bill Maher's dumb rear end, on why covid-19 isn't just an issue of kicking the obese to the curb, and how obesity is an epidemic created by our lovely capitalist forces in the US, lobbying for their special treats to remain unregulated. (Also they got a 3 day for posting it in YLLS, f )

VideoGameVet posted:

Bill Maher last Friday once again railed at the CDC for not talking about the connection between obesity and COVID deaths, but he totally ignores why food is the "3rd Rail" in American Politics.

So I wrote a letter to him: https://medium.com/weight-loss-truths/covid-and-obesity-an-open-letter-to-bill-maher-2bbf72df8102

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
:siren: This post updated 9/16/2021 with a heartwarming and bittersweet goon success story about convincing a vaccine hesitant friend to get the loving vaccine. :siren:

Pet tax is currently in effect for top of page posts due to the generally depressing state of Covid-19 news. If you are unable to provide, the thread will help out.

This is a light article that trashes evopsych and James Damore but also is about some fascinating poo poo (paleolithic area cave stuff) and helped me get some real loving perspective which is sorely needed after the last year and a half:
What the Caves Are Trying to Tell Us

Inspiring post that is still raw and real:

jetz0r posted:

Take care of your partner and yourself. That's both important, and something you can control. 95% rated filtration masks (N95, KF94, etc), boosters every 4-6 months, and do not share unfiltered air with anyone else. You can both make it through this, but you can't give up. All you'll get for giving up is the same toxic optimists that were eagerly telling you everything is fine will be telling you how unlikely it was that your partner would get that sick, or that you should have been more careful because of the comorbidites.

American society's leader do not care if either of you die or suffer. You know this, I know this, and they know this. The same people that don't want single payer healthcare because it's not profitable are still in charge. They are fine with any amount of suffering and death, as long they can profit from it. And right now, the way to stay profitable is to pretend everything is normal. But the world has changed. A respiratory disease that's as contagious as chicken pox, hospitalizes 10% of its victims, and easily spreads during an asymptomatic period is part of life now. I'm sorry there's no treat for being good. We're still in a devastating natural disaster, and sociopaths in charge are telling every one to get out into the flood waters to work and spend.

You can still go enjoy life with your partner, just not the same way as before. My partner and I have been doing a lot of picnics and walks outside, when the wildfire smoke is clear enough. Along with some joint arts and crafts to have some cool items that we both helped create.

Heartwarming and Bittersweet Goon Vaccination Success Story]

And an appeal if you find yourself feeling despair.

Jaxyon posted:

Please, please, talk to someone.

800-273-8255

Stop reading this forum if it's creating a negative fedback loop.

Take care of yourself.

:ughh:

Epic High Five posted:

Pretty concerning to see so many already straying from Appleist-Flavorist Thought
:hmmyes:

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 16, 2021

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Thanks for the writeup, and much hope for the thread.

I'm still watching my family get split right down the middle on vaccination, with one side condemning themselves to repeat deaths for the sake of vaccine denialism. 3 deaths and 5 hospitalizations so far, and nobody we need to persuade can still be persuaded in any way. I hate the cynicism it inspires so I try to keep plugged into any news about the general advancement of public health against this horror.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pretty concerning to see so many already straying from Appleist-Flavorist Thought

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Thank you for the new thread and for getting rid of that link on the first page to horrifically outdated effort post I wrote in February 2020 with tons of (now known to be) ridiculously bad guidance.

I spoke with a friend at NYC DOHMH this morning. They're cautiously optimistic about the fall, despite schools reopening today. The new NYC mandates seem to be working, according to their metrics, but my friend wouldn't give me details on what that means.

edit: Oh also I know there are more than a few goons participating in the study I'm affiliated with. Thank you for your participation!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Wait, why does the "Joe Biden is finally doing something." post link to "9. Using the Dpt of Education’s Full Legal Authority to increase access to in-person instruction"? What happened to funding remote learning?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Biowarfare posted:

Wait, why does the "Joe Biden is finally doing something." post link to "9. Using the Dpt of Education’s Full Legal Authority to increase access to in-person instruction"? What happened to funding remote learning?

Infecting more kids with covid to increase community spread DOES technically count as doing something.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rosalind posted:

Thank you for the new thread and for getting rid of that link on the first page to horrifically outdated effort post I wrote in February 2020 with tons of (now known to be) ridiculously bad guidance.

I spoke with a friend at NYC DOHMH this morning. They're cautiously optimistic about the fall, despite schools reopening today. The new NYC mandates seem to be working, according to their metrics, but my friend wouldn't give me details on what that means.

edit: Oh also I know there are more than a few goons participating in the study I'm affiliated with. Thank you for your participation!

Kavros posted:

Thanks for the writeup, and much hope for the thread.

I'm still watching my family get split right down the middle on vaccination, with one side condemning themselves to repeat deaths for the sake of vaccine denialism. 3 deaths and 5 hospitalizations so far, and nobody we need to persuade can still be persuaded in any way. I hate the cynicism it inspires so I try to keep plugged into any news about the general advancement of public health against this horror.

Honestly the biggest thanks are for the thread regulars who showed up and contributed great content to a crowdsourced OP. We're lucky to have so many knowledgeable folks here willing to help us laypeople make sense of this poo poo and stay on top of things. Thanks to everyone in this thread for participating and keeping this thread useful. I'm going to compile the list of contributers and their selected cert request. If you have not made a cert request via post or PM and you were quoted in the OP, I will just ask for an av/title change for you.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Professor Beetus posted:

Honestly the biggest thanks are for the thread regulars who showed up and contributed great content to a crowdsourced OP. We're lucky to have so many knowledgeable folks here willing to help us laypeople make sense of this poo poo and stay on top of things. Thanks to everyone in this thread for participating and keeping this thread useful. I'm going to compile the list of contributers and their selected cert request. If you have not made a cert request via post or PM and you were quoted in the OP, I will just ask for an av/title change for you.

If this includes me, I'd love to get plat if possible.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Worth noting that a coronavirus is a type of virus, or rather a family of types of virus. It describes the structure and is one of the least useful ways to refer to SARS-COV-2/COVID-19.

vvvv yeah i mean in the OP

I don't mean police the people in the thread about it, i call it that too(though mostly "covid")

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 13, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jaxyon posted:

Worth noting that a coronavirus is a type of virus, or rather a family of types of virus. It describes the structure and is one of the least useful ways to refer to SARS-COV-2/COVID-19.

I mean I think most people here are just using it as shorthand and it's not that big of a deal, especially since the new thread title is more accurate anyway. But I don't think it's a bad call to include a brief note, thanks.

e: I realize you meant my paragraph in the OP and I'm editing now lol

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

sup with the mu variant? I've been out of the office since the beginning of the month

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Great job on the new OP! Here's to another year and a half of coronavirus posting :cool:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
The OP mentions "knock-off" N95/KN-95s.

I don't really know what to look for to know if something is genuine or not; how do I know if what I got is genuine or not?

The ones I purchased are brand-named, but I got them off of Amazon, so . . . have I already hosed up there?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Get your loving vaccine, make your family get it. If you get covid you have a coin flip chance of being ok or ending up in the ICU. If you end up in the ICU, its not a question of if its a question of when that your lungs become irreversibly scarred, they coagulation of your blood due to low O2 will cause you to get micro clots that gently caress up your brain, heart, and kidneys. If you end up maxed on Airvo you need to pray to god you dont end up on Bipap, because it will loving murder your lungs because of the positive pressure required, and you will literally be forced to breathe in and out by a face mask that is suctioned to your mouth and nose. It is more Claustrophic then you imagine and you are awake for it because we cant sedate you due to aspiration risks. You will be confined to a bed, and given things that will make you poo poo yourself, hopefully have a catheter so you dont have to exhaust yourself taking a piss. You have a max time on the bipap before it shreds your lungs and causes barotrauma that is just as bad as the lung scarring you are getting.

If you are lucky, you will get better, and be able to go to an ltac and may be able to go home after extensive rehab on long term oxygen, but never be back to what you were before. If you aren't you will stay in the ICU but after a week from infection the dying parts of your lungs will basically scar over, and you will start to get pneumonia on top of having the lung capacity of an infant due to your lungs basically not existing anymore. You will cry and think that it will get better, but intubating will only prolong this, your heart is already starting to fail because the pulmonary hypertension is killing your right ventricle, and putting you on a vent just means that you get higher Peep pressure in order to overcome the fact that your lungs arent opening up, making the hypertension issue worse. in a week, maybe two your heart will be done, no amount of pressers will be able to keep it functioning, your kidneys shut down, and your brain has already suffered massive hypoxia (from all those wonderful pressors). At this point we can code you endlessly, your heart still tries to keep going but nothing will happen. You finally pass after its determined to be futile (and I did compressions and literally felt your lung perf on the first press) and your family members scream and cry that you never should have died.

Get your loving vaccine, force your family to get it. You will never hit icu status with it unless you seriously alot of comorbid, and you will be safer then you think. Covid isn't going away, and we are losing staff that are willing to take care of your loving selfish rear end family because this repeats about 2x a week. Also if your loving family comes to the icu to see you unvaccinated I will personally throw them off the loving roof because gently caress them for coming in to a covid positive room and taking their goddamn mask on to eat with you while you actively are coughing then coming out to complain to us that we yelled at them about their mask

I'm so loving tired

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Zarin posted:

I don't really know what to look for to know if something is genuine or not; how do I know if what I got is genuine or not?

The ones I purchased are brand-named, but I got them off of Amazon, so . . . have I already hosed up there?

For KN95s, there are several mask companies that market themselves as legitimate and reliable. I've had good experiences with https://bonafidemasks.com/ and NYTimes Wirecutter recommends them as well. As far as I can tell, everything they sell is legitimate as they are an American manufacturer with a relationship with a Chinese factory.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Zarin posted:

I know most of the time, manufacturers have a spot on their site where you can enter lot# info or even scan a QR code to confirm they're legit, may be worth trying that out if you still have the original packaging

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Professor Beetus posted:

Objective Action posted:

Given the mechanism of action for half mask valves it should be on par with the disposables they tested for droplet blocking but may not be sufficient for aerosols.
Once again: this is speculative at best.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SubG posted:

Once again: this is speculative at best.

Thanks for the reminder. I meant to include both posts in the OP because despite the correction, I felt like there was a lot of good info in both, and I also thought it was useful to see the exchange.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I'm so loving tired

Goddamn, it really sucks that you have to go through this for no good reason. Thank you for helping people even in these lovely circumstances.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So the current contributors to the OP I have currently listed are:

dwarf74
cr0y
MadJackal
Craptacular!
Heck Yes! Loam!
Objective Action
Kaal
jetz0r - plat
Jaxyon
VideoGameVet
SubG

If I missed you let me know, and if you have a specific preference for cert, let me know that as well. Preferably via PM if you have them so the thread doesn't become half cert requests.

Thanks for everyone who has participated and continues to participate.

e: Also these are not guaranteed, just as a reminder. I will do my best but I am but a lowly IK.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Zarin posted:

Anything from Amazon is suspect, because they throw any items matching an item number into the same bins, regardless of source. So there can be counterfeit mask packages mixed in with legit ones, with no way to tell when you're ordering.

Sites that specialize in import mask sales like behealthy, or bonafidemasks are good. And I've done most of my mask orders through commercial/industrial suppliers like zoro, grainger, digikey, or others that are known dealers for 3M and other PPE manufacturers. Zoro is grainger's consumer facing site, but the stock varies between the two. Even Home Depot or Lowes are fine sources for slightly expensive N95 or P100 masks, because they're not likely to have fake 3M products on their shelves.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
2011, huh?

I have a question about N95 vs surgical masks. I get the 95% thing, but are the surgical masks really that bad? Is there an article that gets into the why and how?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Professor Beetus posted:

Thanks for the reminder. I meant to include both posts in the OP because despite the correction, I felt like there was a lot of good info in both, and I also thought it was useful to see the exchange.

These masks btw are banned in hospital settings for a reason. They may protect the wearer but they do not protect others due to the way they work. And they definitely are not ok for any airborne precautions which is what current speculation is that we should be treating covid has, instead of droplet. There is a growing movement that covid should be treated like TB and Measles, which are considered airborne pathogens instead of droplet pathogens like the flu, mainly because of infectivity rates and just general safety precautions.

sidenote: if you add my rant to the op dr. butts its fine, I just suggest cleaning it up a bit because I literally don't care anymore about trying to be politically correct or even sane sounding

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So the cinematic quality of our late stage capitalism is hitting Peak TV levels but I still say that kids taking the Delta variant back home to their parents all across the country has the potential to be the straw.

https://twitter.com/accnetwork/status/1433916233599143944

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 14, 2021

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

2011, huh?

I have a question about N95 vs surgical masks. I get the 95% thing, but are the surgical masks really that bad? Is there an article that gets into the why and how?

Mask testing nerd Aaron Collins has a spread sheet of masks he's tested, he records the filtration percentage and how hard it is to pull air through the mask (pressure drop, lower is better).
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M0mdNLpTWEGcluK6hh5LjjcFixwmOG853Ff45d3O-L0/edit#gid=1976839763

Go ahead and sort that sheet by filtration and see where surgical masks are in the list. The reasons are that are based on the fact that they're not designed to filter very well. They're droplet and splash protection. It's like comparing a pasta strainer to a Brita filter, they're for completely different purposes, even though you put tap water through both of them. There's huge gaps on the sides, the mask is there to mostly block spit, the common ones aren't made to any standards, and the medical standards aren't about filtering virus aerosols, because again, they're not designed to be high filtration masks.

N95 masks are the masks that ARE made to standards designed to filter covid aerosols. There's no gaps to let unfiltered air in, the media is designed to capture particles of a variety of sizes, using several different methods. And the N95 designation itself means that the masks are subject to NIOSH regulation and testing in the US.

His video on kids masks goes over a lot of the basics of which masks work, and what to look for in good masks. There might be a better primer video, but I haven't watched that many of his videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A88AGnN-nwI

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I'm so loving tired

What percentage of your patients demand ivermectin, roughly

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I downed 2 tubes of paste and i've been craving apples all afternoon

if this transformation is actually happening , does that *other* part turn horse sized as well

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

buglord posted:

I downed 2 tubes of paste and i've been craving apples all afternoon

if this transformation is actually happening , does that *other* part turn horse sized as well

Your rear end? Absolutely. It's gonna get so big and strong.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Get your loving vaccine

Jesus H man. I had a buddy of mine my age (29) get infected and he almost died at the hospital. I'm a little scared to ask if he was vaccinated or not, but on top of that he was a supremely heavy drinker and got cirrhosis (though I haven't verified if covid can cause that or if it was only from drinking). He had a 2 week stay and lost 20 lbs from infection to release. Still on oxygen occasionally now, and his feet aren't working for some reason and hes having to retrain the muscle or something. We don't talk super often because hes kind of a stubborn rear end any anything and everything, but he really got flattened by this.

I still have another buddy (21) who hasnt gotten a single dose yet, and on one hand im not sure if investing the time into convincing him will work because he's had two family members die of covid. I'll happily employ any face saving emotion/pride appealing methods to get him to listen, because hes real cool but also really freaking stubborn about this.

e: I guess to put a positive note in, my mom who religiously watches Fox News is very excited for her third dose as soon as shes eligible. I was terrified she'd never get dosed up early this year.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

buglord posted:

Jesus H man. I had a buddy of mine my age (29) get infected and he almost died at the hospital. I'm a little scared to ask if he was vaccinated or not, but on top of that he was a supremely heavy drinker and got cirrhosis (though I haven't verified if covid can cause that or if it was only from drinking). He had a 2 week stay and lost 20 lbs from infection to release. Still on oxygen occasionally now, and his feet aren't working for some reason and hes having to retrain the muscle or something. We don't talk super often because hes kind of a stubborn rear end any anything and everything, but he really got flattened by this.

I still have another buddy (21) who hasnt gotten a single dose yet, and on one hand im not sure if investing the time into convincing him will work because he's had two family members die of covid. I'll happily employ any face saving emotion/pride appealing methods to get him to listen, because hes real cool but also really freaking stubborn about this.

e: I guess to put a positive note in, my mom who religiously watches Fox News is very excited for her third dose as soon as shes eligible. I was terrified she'd never get dosed up early this year.

You need to figure out the reason why he's resistant/denier/skeptical/stupid.

It's not coming from a rational place, so reasoning is unlikely to convince him.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Speaking of one of my friends already had covid and says he's not antivax and he thinks the vaccine isn't dangerous for most people but he's heard that it is dangerous for people who already had the virus so he personally won't get the shot.

Is there any actual data that anyone has seen showing this isn't true that I could show him on the off chance it convinces him to get the drat vaccine. I mean I guess he has some amount of immunity but still...

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Jaxyon posted:

You need to figure out the reason why he's resistant/denier/skeptical/stupid.

It's not coming from a rational place, so reasoning is unlikely to convince him.
despite being a socailist bernie bro he does follow a lot of natural medicine spiritual healing aesthetic instagram pages. I get the appeal of thinking you're a child of nature pure from the corruption of pharmaceutical influence but like he also smokes weed and eat spicy chicken nuggets from McDonalds (the latter of which I'd personally consider gods medicine but thats besides the point). Maybe its just fear of making the wrong choice, I know some people are likely to avoid making a choice entirely when they feel making a choice carries risk, even if inaction is a choice.

It could just be that, I dont plan on pelting him with peer reviewed articles or showing him charts. I think we're past that point. If I could just gently tell him "hey man, im worried for you, you're gonna be alright, lets just get this done and all breathe a bit easier, ill treat you to mcdonalds" that would be stellar, but we havent hung in person because of his reluctance, so I cant really put on that warmth in person.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Excellent resources post; already added.

IK note: Much like certain campaign promises, it sounds like admins may be a bit gunshy about approving loads of certs. I can definitely get av changes for around 5 folks and I'll see what I can do about that plat request. I don't want anybody to feel left out, so if I'm not able to come through for you, I will try and do you a solid in the future. Typical shitlib, I know.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

buglord posted:

Cirrhosis is not a side effect of covid, its from his drinking. More then likely that was one reason he had such a rough course though, his body was already dealing with that, and cirrhosis causes clotting disorders and portal hypertension which well fucks up your heart.

Every patient we had had that made it out after long term care largely is deconditioned like that, every patient that made it off the vent basically had to relearn how to do anything on their own because the nerves were damaged from the hypoxia and other issues. That makes it so nothing is really working right until the body starts to recover and may take months. Almost everyone I have seen come off a vent pretty much had heart issues and was similar to a quadriplegic, and only were able to move there arms (barely) and had some grasping ability. The deconditioning is just horrible and the cerebral hypoxia causes untold issues.

Tell your buddy that 9/10s of a coin toss he loving dies or ends up disabled and ask if those chances are worth being pissy about a loving shot thats less risk then what the military gives you for standard deployment IE loving anthrax vaccines and the like.

and no we have only seen one horse paste fucker, and the doctor shot her down immediately.

edit: mind you are docs are hyper aggressive about DNR and DNI especially in absurd cases ie the 95 year old that had covid and was advancing to tubing, and flat out said that it was unethical to even consider tubing him. They have sit downs with the patient prior to severe cases in order to discuss care, and demand palliative or bio ethics get involved if things are just absurd.

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 14, 2021

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

These masks btw are banned in hospital settings for a reason. They may protect the wearer but they do not protect others due to the way they work. And they definitely are not ok for any airborne precautions which is what current speculation is that we should be treating covid has, instead of droplet. There is a growing movement that covid should be treated like TB and Measles, which are considered airborne pathogens instead of droplet pathogens like the flu, mainly because of infectivity rates and just general safety precautions.

For what it's worth, face masks with exhaust valves are banned from many airlines for exactly the same reason. International airlines are also beginning to ban fabric masks, largely because they aren't regulated. Medical-grade N95s, KN95s, and surgical masks are likely going to become the PPE standard in the months ahead.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Professor Beetus posted:

[b]So the current contributors to the OP I have currently listed are:[/b
I too have the grey star of shame and neither want nor need anything, for my power is eternal

Also - my younger kid has now developed a slight fever. PCR test was done earlier today but it takes too drat long, so I grabbed a self-test for him just for like slight peace of mind or something. Waiting the 10 minutes right now.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I'm not convinced masks won't be gone again the second Delta has some downward momentum or we hit some new piddly X% of eligible population vaxxed bs benchmark. The MSM is already spinning up their "endemic means ditch NPIs" consent machine and there's some serious deja-vu.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 14, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Stickman posted:

I'm not convinced masks won't be gone again the second Delta has some downward momentum or we hit some new piddly X% of eligible population vaxxed bs benchmark. The MSM is already spinning up their "endemic means ditch NPIs" consent machine and there's some serious deja-vu.

This is the shittiest rollercoaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

dwarf74 posted:

I too have the grey star of shame and neither want nor need anything, for my power is eternal

Also - my younger kid has now developed a slight fever. PCR test was done earlier today but it takes too drat long, so I grabbed a self-test for him just for like slight peace of mind or something. Waiting the 10 minutes right now.

:ohdear: Best wishes to you and your family; hope it's nothing serious.

e: oh wow it's been a while since I made a quote not edit double post.