Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Stickman posted:

I'm not convinced masks won't be gone again the second Delta has some downward momentum or we hit some new piddly X% of eligible population vaxxed bs benchmark. The MSM is already spinning up their "endemic means ditch NPIs" consent machine and there's some serious deja-vu.
As terrible as the antivaxxers are, this hatred of masks pisses me off so much more. I can at least understand "I don't want some weird thing injected in my body" even if the specifics are not well informed or defensible. "I don't wanna wear a mask, it's uncomfortable" is so much more widespread and even many people who don't mind complying with mask mandates take them off the second they can rules lawyer themselves into saying it's ok as if the virus gives a poo poo about rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Professor Beetus posted:

:ohdear: Best wishes to you and your family; hope it's nothing serious.

e: oh wow it's been a while since I made a quote not edit double post.
Rapid test came back negative. I know that's worth little, ultimately, but my current guess is RSV. We'll get PCR back hopefully tomorrow but I'll take what little reassurance I can right now :shobon:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

dwarf74 posted:

Rapid test came back negative. I know that's worth little, ultimately, but my current guess is RSV. We'll get PCR back hopefully tomorrow but I'll take what little reassurance I can right now :shobon:

:hellyeah:

Ok, so any one of these folks who would like a new av, let me know and get me whatever av image and text you'd like, and I can put it up the chain.

cr0y
MadJackal
Craptacular!
Heck Yes! Loam!
Objective Action
Kaal
jetz0r - plat
Jaxyon
VideoGameVet
SubG

jetz0r, I already submitted your plat and once an admin rouses from the deep sleep to push buttons you'll have the ability to be harassed via direct messages.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I don't like wearing a mask everywhere, and just because I'm more than glad to comply with the rules for my health and the health of others doesn't mean I want to wear a mask forever. I felt great at the beginning of the summer when we could take them off because the vaccines truly did provide for all intents and purposes immunity from the old virus. That was awesome, it felt wonderful.

I'll keep wearing my mask per public health regulations, but when Delta dies down and we get our boosters and hit 80%, 90% vaccination rate and the public health authorities say "alright guys you don't need them anymore" I'll sure as hell be glad to put it away.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Zarin posted:

The OP mentions "knock-off" N95/KN-95s.

I don't really know what to look for to know if something is genuine or not; how do I know if what I got is genuine or not?

Wirecutter's articles on masks are pretty solid. Basically they suggest buying certified medical-style masks that fit your face. While buying from Amazon doesn't necessarily mean your masks are illegitimate, the best way to avoid counterfeits is by purchasing from a known retailer that stands by their product rather than an anonymous wholesaler: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/where-to-buy-n95-kn95-masks-online/

If you want a specific suggestion, Bona Fide Masks imports Powecom KN95 respirators in a range of different sizes and fits: https://bonafidemasks.com/face-masks/kn95-respirator-face-masks/

Professor Beetus posted:

IK note: Much like certain campaign promises, it sounds like admins may be a bit gunshy about approving loads of certs. I can definitely get av changes for around 5 folks and I'll see what I can do about that plat request. I don't want anybody to feel left out, so if I'm not able to come through for you, I will try and do you a solid in the future. Typical shitlib, I know.

Don't worry about me, but if you would like to append links for Gavi and WHO Covax donations to my post in the OP that would be lovely.

Gavi: https://www.gavi.org/donate

WHO: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/donate

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
oh sidenote, the issue right now isnt covid in most areas, its staffing. Every hospital is basically code omega because the hospital is full from normal patients that havent been taking care of themselves. Then add in the burnout and extended ratio staffing and people are leaving on masse because we get paid poo poo, we get treated like poo poo, and we have no help. Covid just is the icing on the cake as poo poo adds up. We have no lab staff, we have no nurses, we have no CNAs, we have no RT.

Literally we are at a breaking point nationwide on this poo poo and no one wants to acknowledge that healthcare is an empty shell with no one working. But we gotta keep doing nonessential surgeries!!!!@!@Adghijas;gjsagtjk hagjhiusjhgtsagjka fshahjkgajagafshhagfs

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Anyone else notice their pants size got about 3 sizes bigger after getting the 3rd vaccine dose?

Makes you think

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/NICKIMINAJ/status/1437532566945341441

lmao i gotta give props to this guy trying to blame getting chlamydia from cheating on his girl on the vaccine

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

A big flaming stink posted:

lmao i gotta give props to this guy trying to blame getting chlamydia from cheating on his girl on the vaccine

A savage alcoholic is the right person to get your vaccine insight from

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

its from heart failure but yes.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Anyone else notice their pants size got about 3 sizes bigger after getting the 3rd vaccine dose?

Makes you think

No joke, my sex life did get better after recovering from the 3rd shot. Then returned to base line about a few weeks later. No clue why, but I definitely felt different/better for a few weeks.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

jetz0r posted:

No joke, my sex life did get better after recovering from the 3rd shot. Then returned to base line about a few weeks later. No clue why, but I definitely felt different/better for a few weeks.

*The most Alex Jones voice you've ever heard*

The iughhhhhhhhh deep state has genetically *grunts* modifeyed your adrenochrome glands because they've been caught too many times eating children.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Hey Nicki...

You a stupid hoe, you a, you a stupid hoe
You a stupid hoe, yeah, you a, you a stupid hoe

You a stupid hoe, you a, you a stupid hoe (you stupid, stupid)
You a stupid hoe, yeah, you a, you a stupid hoe (you stupid, stupid)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Vox's Antivax Bookshelf
I'm going to read and provide summaries and commentary on books covering the antivax movement for this thread, crossposting with the pseudoscience thread. These are not necessarily all going to be good sources- some may be bad commentaries or cash-ins, or even books by antivax authors. I'm happy to take suggestions for additional books to read. This post will serve as my index.

Currently planned:

Stuck: How Vaccine Rumors Start -- and Why They Don't Go Away by Heidi J. Larson

The jacket posted:

Vaccine reluctance and refusal are no longer limited to the margins of society. Debates around vaccines' necessity - along with questions around their side effects -- have gone mainstream, blending with geopolitical conflicts, political campaigns, celebrity causes, and "natural" lifestyles to win a growing number of hearts and minds. Today's anti-vaccine positions find audiences where they've never existed previously.

Stuck examines how the issues surrounding vaccine hesitancy are, more than anything, about people feeling left out of the conversation. A new dialogue is long overdue, one that addresses the many types of vaccine hesitancy and the social factors that perpetuate them. To do this, Stuck provides a clear-eyed examination of the social vectors that transmit vaccine rumors, their manifestations around the globe, and how these individual threads are all connected.

Anti-vaxxers: How to challenge a Misinformed Movement by Jonathan M. Berman

Amazon posted:

A history of the anti-vaccination movement, from its nineteenth-century antecedents to today's anti-vax activism, offering strategies for refuting its claims.
Vaccines are a documented success story, one of the most successful public health interventions in history. Yet there is a vocal anti-vaccination movement, featuring celebrity activists (including Kennedy scion Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and actress Jenny McCarthy) and the propagation of anti-vax claims through books, documentaries, and social media. In Anti-Vaxxers, Jonathan Berman explores the phenomenon of the anti-vaccination movement, recounting its history from its nineteenth-century antecedents to today's activism, examining its claims, and suggesting a strategy for countering them.

After providing background information on vaccines and how they work, Berman describes resistance to Britain's Vaccination Act of 1853, showing that the arguments anticipate those made by today's anti-vaxxers. He discusses the development of new vaccines in the twentieth century, including those protecting against polio and MMR (measles, mumps, rubella), and the debunked paper that linked the MMR vaccine to autism; the CDC conspiracy theory promoted in the documentary Vaxxed; recommendations for an alternative vaccination schedule; Kennedy's misinformed campaign against thimerosal; and the much-abused religious exemption to vaccination.

Anti-vaxxers have changed their minds, but rarely because someone has given them a list of facts. Berman argues that anti-vaccination activism is tied closely to how people see themselves as parents and community members. Effective pro-vaccination efforts should emphasize these cultural aspects rather than battling social media posts.

The doctor who fooled the world: science, deception and the war on vaccines by Brian Deer

Amazon posted:

From San Francisco to Shanghai, from Vancouver to Venice, controversy over vaccines is erupting around the globe. Fear is spreading. Banished diseases have returned. And a militant "anti-vax" movement has surfaced to campaign against immunization. But why?

In The Doctor Who Fooled the World, award-winning investigative reporter Brian Deer exposes the truth behind the crisis. Writing with the page-turning tension of a detective story, he unmasks the players and unearths the facts. Where it began. Who was responsible. How they pulled it off. Who paid.

At the heart of this dark narrative is the rise of the so-called "father of the anti-vaccine movement": a British-born doctor, Andrew Wakefield. Banned from medicine, thanks to Deer's discoveries, he fled to the United States to pursue his ambitions, and now claims to be winning a "war."

In an epic investigation spread across fifteen years, Deer battles medical secrecy and insider cover-ups, smear campaigns and gagging lawsuits, to uncover rigged research and moneymaking schemes, the heartbreaking plight of families struggling with disability, and the scientific scandal of our time.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 14, 2021

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Big George Costanza energy

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

blackmet posted:

Hey Nicki...

You a stupid hoe, yeah, you a, you a stupid hoe

You a stupid hoe, yeah, you a, you a stupid hoe (you stupid, stupid)

Really?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

buglord posted:

despite being a socailist bernie bro he does follow a lot of natural medicine spiritual healing aesthetic instagram pages. I get the appeal of thinking you're a child of nature pure from the corruption of pharmaceutical influence but like he also smokes weed and eat spicy chicken nuggets from McDonalds (the latter of which I'd personally consider gods medicine but thats besides the point). Maybe its just fear of making the wrong choice, I know some people are likely to avoid making a choice entirely when they feel making a choice carries risk, even if inaction is a choice.

He's anti-science with regards to medicine.

"Natural medicine" is generally the same molecules but less tightly controlled and dosed. Like sure chewing willow bark might help with pain relief so does aspirin.

You're not going to science him out of that because his current opinion is based on fear of things he doesn't understand IMO.

Professor Beetus posted:

This is the shittiest rollercoaster.

An informed opinion I saw the other day has this at another 1-3 years in realistic terms, figuring in for America being just The Worst.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I get it's a song reference but can we not do this? Thanks.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
The new OP is great. The title is even better.

Professor Beetus posted:

So the current contributors to the OP I have currently listed are:

dwarf74
cr0y
MadJackal
Craptacular!
Heck Yes! Loam!
Objective Action
Kaal
jetz0r - plat
Jaxyon
VideoGameVet
SubG

If I missed you let me know, and if you have a specific preference for cert, let me know that as well. Preferably via PM if you have them so the thread doesn't become half cert requests.

Thanks for everyone who has participated and continues to participate.

e: Also these are not guaranteed, just as a reminder. I will do my best but I am but a lowly IK.

This is the first I knew I was in the new OP. Thanks! I don't have PMs any more but would love to get them back.

Edit: should have read further. I would I've to keep my current avatar but remove the lovely text please, and thank you!

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 14, 2021

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

my cousin in LA won't buy a switch because his friend works at Nintendo and says it's the deep state

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/mtgreenee/status/1437550662682828800

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

How are u posted:

I don't like wearing a mask everywhere, and just because I'm more than glad to comply with the rules for my health and the health of others doesn't mean I want to wear a mask forever. I felt great at the beginning of the summer when we could take them off because the vaccines truly did provide for all intents and purposes immunity from the old virus. That was awesome, it felt wonderful.

I'll keep wearing my mask per public health regulations, but when Delta dies down and we get our boosters and hit 80%, 90% vaccination rate and the public health authorities say "alright guys you don't need them anymore" I'll sure as hell be glad to put it away.

You still trust the public health authorities when they say you don't have to do some COVID safety measure?

You should at the very least pay attention to the numbers and squint test the justifications given. The authorities are not above given advice that straight up goes against the science and they've proven it multiple times.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 14, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

As terrible as the antivaxxers are, this hatred of masks pisses me off so much more. I can at least understand "I don't want some weird thing injected in my body" even if the specifics are not well informed or defensible. "I don't wanna wear a mask, it's uncomfortable" is so much more widespread and even many people who don't mind complying with mask mandates take them off the second they can rules lawyer themselves into saying it's ok as if the virus gives a poo poo about rules.

I know it's hard to find the perfect cast but they could have at least gotten a donkey and a cat and a rooster if they were going to make a live action adaptation of the Town Musicians of Bremen.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
what's wrong with us neighsayers

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

jetz0r posted:

Anything from Amazon is suspect, because they throw any items matching an item number into the same bins, regardless of source. So there can be counterfeit mask packages mixed in with legit ones, with no way to tell when you're ordering.

I ordered 10 boxes of surgical masks from the same "add to cart" button (same ASIN, item listing, and FBA seller) and got five different brands lol

One of them even had a printed piece of paper with how it's genuine KN95. In a surgical mask box.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Biowarfare posted:

I ordered 10 boxes of surgical masks from the same "add to cart" button (same ASIN, item listing, and FBA seller) and got five different brands lol

Individual action obviously doesn't do poo poo but whenever possible I just buy direct from manufacturers as much poo poo as possible whenever possible, or seeking out alternatives to Amazon. I know it's still all probably AWS poo poo on the back end but at this point I get better and faster shipping from most indie shops than I do from Amazon in most case, and that's enough for me.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fritz the Horse posted:

what's wrong with us neighsayers

We're all just trying to make sure that you continue to have access to parasite meds.

e: quote not edit again and that's twice in a day; just put me in a home already :corsair:

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
I've had good luck getting N95s from Home Depot, aside from their delivery people liking to leave packages in the stupidest places I have ever seen.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Biowarfare posted:

One of them even had a printed piece of paper with how it's genuine KN95. In a surgical mask box.

hahahaha

That's amazing.

Any marketplace style online shop is rapidly becoming completely untrustworthy for critical items, because of this counterfeit issue. Walmart.com and Amazon are the two that I can think of, but this system destroys any trust that you're actually getting the item you ordered.

Cygna posted:

I've had good luck getting N95s from Home Depot, aside from their delivery people liking to leave packages in the stupidest places I have ever seen.

Yeah, Home Depot is going to be ordering from the manufacturer, or from one of the large distributors. Not collecting items from a "marketplace" of sellers and tossing them in a bin together.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

buglord posted:

despite being a socailist bernie bro he does follow a lot of natural medicine spiritual healing aesthetic instagram pages. I get the appeal of thinking you're a child of nature pure from the corruption of pharmaceutical influence but like he also smokes weed and eat spicy chicken nuggets from McDonalds (the latter of which I'd personally consider gods medicine but thats besides the point). Maybe its just fear of making the wrong choice, I know some people are likely to avoid making a choice entirely when they feel making a choice carries risk, even if inaction is a choice.

It could just be that, I dont plan on pelting him with peer reviewed articles or showing him charts. I think we're past that point. If I could just gently tell him "hey man, im worried for you, you're gonna be alright, lets just get this done and all breathe a bit easier, ill treat you to mcdonalds" that would be stellar, but we havent hung in person because of his reluctance, so I cant really put on that warmth in person.

If he’s into all that bullshit point out that the original purveyors of the most natural medicine around (and who have every reason to distrust the US government) have some of the highest vaccinated rates in the country: native Americans on reservations. Might help.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Oracle posted:

If he’s into all that bullshit point out that the original purveyors of the most natural medicine around (and who have every reason to distrust the US government) have some of the highest vaccinated rates in the country: native Americans on reservations. Might help.

point to the Navajo (Dine) in particular because that's not true of all reservations and if he goes digging he can easily find evidence of reservations where vaxx rates are very low

(mine is one)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
I’m embedding the tweet because the analogy is good, but the main thing here is to click through and be horrified at the state of UK guidance.

https://twitter.com/ProfEmer/status/1437309203828334596

quote:

2. When to wear PPE in an education, childcare or children’s social care setting

Most staff in education, childcare and children’s social care settings will not require PPE in response to COVID-19 beyond what they would normally need for their work.

If a child, young person, or student already has routine intimate care needs that involve the use of PPE, the same PPE should continue to be used.

Additional PPE for COVID-19 is only required in a very limited number of scenarios:

• if an individual child, young person or student becomes ill with COVID-19 symptoms and only then if close contact is necessary
  • when performing aerosol generating procedures (AGPs)

quote:

3. What PPE to wear when caring for a symptomatic individual
Depending on how close you need be to an individual with COVID-19 symptoms you may need the following PPE:

• fluid-resistant surgical face masks (also known as Type IIR)
  • disposable gloves
  • disposable plastic aprons
  • eye protection (for example, a face visor or goggles)

Type IIR is basically a three‐ply surgical mask. No tight fit, no particulate rating. And even this is only supposed to be worn when dealing with a symptomatic person.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

My attempt at time traveling has failed. :negative:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This is the first I knew I was in the new OP. Thanks! I don't have PMs any more but would love to get them back.

Edit: should have read further. I would I've to keep my current avatar but remove the lovely text please, and thank you!

Your PMs should be back soon, I will still ask about the av text for you since I haven't gotten any avs yet to send up to admins.

:siren: Just a reminder if you contributed to the OP, go ahead and send me an av image and text and I will fire up as many as I think I can get approved. And if you need PMs I can fix that even easier. :siren:

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

Platystemon posted:

I’m embedding the tweet because the analogy is good, but the main thing here is to click through and be horrified at the state of UK guidance.

https://twitter.com/ProfEmer/status/1437309203828334596

Type IIR is basically a three‐ply surgical mask. No tight fit, no particulate rating. And even this is only supposed to be worn when dealing with a symptomatic person.

I've got to say that the conversation about masks does seem completely different in the US compared to here in the UK. Outside of medical environments there is zero conversation about mask quality, nor anyone really talking about it masking as an issue generally. It's still a recommendation for close inside events, but in practice I only really see it in shops and public transport. It doesn't it seems quite as hotly contested issue as in the US, but that might be just because the fringe anti-maskers are slightly smaller proportion and not quite as vocal.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Professor Beetus posted:

Thanks for the reminder. I meant to include both posts in the OP because despite the correction, I felt like there was a lot of good info in both, and I also thought it was useful to see the exchange.
I guess. I think presenting a back and forth on unfiltered exhalation valves on FFRs vs EHMRs kinda buries the lede, though. Which is that it's kinda a moot point because you really shouldn't be relying on an unfiltered exhaust valve on an FFR for source control either. Like instead of a back and forth on the subject I kinda feel like the important information is that masks with unfiltered exhaust valves shouldn't be used for source control at all. That's the lede. We're only talking about FFR vs EHMR exhaust valves because people keep getting confused by that NIOSH paper on FFRs and are assuming it says something it does not. But even if it did apply to EHMRs...it still wouldn't matter because you shouldn't be relying on unfiltered exhalation on FFRs for source control either.

I mean given that we have good data on the efficacy of N95s/KN95s I kinda think the fixation EHMRs is a little weird. I understand that they make sense in some situations, but it seems like the better general advice for most people is to just get an N95/KN95, learn how to wear it correctly, and then to always do so. I mean MacGyvering a 7500 to have one reversed valve or whatever is fine, but I kinda feel like if you weren't already familiar with the SA covid cinematic universe or whatever (in which we hash this poo poo out every couple days) then if you stumbled into the thread and read the OP you'd come away thinking that doing a roll-your-own solution involving EHMRs was part of the default recommended covid prep routine or whatever.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
I'm going to guess that someone with four+ doses who wears a respirator for their handful of contacts is of very minimal concern wrt source control

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It's too bad ivermectin didn't work as well as BCG or MMR vaccines against covid

Also does anyone have a link to the actual OSHA text for the PTO specifics, or is that still unreleased

Kaal
May 22, 2002

poll plane variant posted:

I'm going to guess that someone with four+ doses who wears a respirator for their handful of contacts is of very minimal concern wrt source control

Assuming that people couldn't possibly have Covid because of _______ is how we got to this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Negative PCR results for the family. Just a bad cold for my youngest after all. :toot: