Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gaius Marius posted:

Someone needs to save Giancarlo Esposito from being type cast as the cold businessman

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1332361121349689345?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Someone needs to save Giancarlo Esposito from being type cast as the cold businessman

I want see him cast as the lead or co-lead for a romantic comedy.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
happy gilmore reboot with Esposito as Chubbs

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I haven't played it (is it even out?) but his performance in the latest Far Cry game looks super fun.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Looten Plunder posted:

I haven't played it (is it even out?) but his performance in the latest Far Cry game looks super fun.
It's not out yet but yes, he may be the main reason to even play the game... kinda like all the other games since 3.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I have no loving clue where Evil is going but I like it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow, big goof up in Evil this week. When the pilot is testing smells, the dude pushes the fourth button and she says that's what she smelled at the time. At the end, when they have the smell machine for whatever reason, Ben pushes the third button and says "that's what they smelled". I was waiting for some big reveal for Kristen to smell the smell and be all "I'VE SMELLED THIS BEFORE!" but no, it was just a dumb joke where they pushed the wrong button. I hope someone got fired over that blunder.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I started Brand New Cherry Flavor and though it’s good, I’m almost too distracted by how much of a Michael Keaton performance the sleazy producer is giving, despite not being Michael Keaton.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Gaius Marius posted:

It would own if he got the treatment that the T-1000 got in the Sopranos. Sadly that will never happen because this universe is a cold and uncaring fucker.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VYb3B1ETlk
Hawkeye trailer

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

a deep cut

https://twitter.com/joekjoek/status/1437491043218325509

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Get excited !!!!

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1437433715676925953

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Y the last man is good so far, but man I hope they turn Yorick sympathetic soon he keeps acting like such a moron.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
For no good reason I've started watching Alias and I'm about halfway through S1. When does it get bad or am I already there? :v:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Alias is going to give you a lot of "extremely made after 9/11" vibes but for the first couple seasons it remains pretty solid.

https://ew.com/article/2003/02/07/behind-alias-shocking-super-bowl-sunday-revamp/

Once the double agent stuff stops (ABC execs presumed that the mass football audience they were trying to attract by putting jennifer garner in lingere in their superbowl spot wouldn't understand such complex ideas as "spying for someone while pretending to spy for someone else") you'll notice it starts sliding.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 13, 2021

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

isaboo posted:

For no good reason I've started watching Alias and I'm about halfway through S1. When does it get bad or am I already there? :v:

I want to say just stop at the end of s2

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I like the first couple seasons but the first couple episodes are basically peak Alias. The show is at its best when it's like 30 percent early 00s techno music video. The action scenes are reliably pretty cool. The CIA guy sucks.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Woah, they did a US remake of The Slap?

Edit: wow, looks like a fun cast too.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Alias really set the stage for (among other shows) Burn Notice where eventually every single drat season is "oh you THOUGHT you knew who was behind it but there's ANOTHER hidden deeper conspiracy level". At least with Lost the stupidity was new and "interesting", but ones like Alias and Burn Notice were just the same thing over and over again with just some new villain names.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

Woah, they did a US remake of The Slap?

Edit: wow, looks like a fun cast too.

It was not as good. IMO it was quite bad, unfortunately.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
In the case of Burn Notice, Matt Nix actually said that they didn't do more multi-season villains or get more complex with the conspiracy because that wasn't the show USA was looking to produce, so they kept the arcs confined to single seasons.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Goddam Reservation Dogs is so drat good. I'm not crying you're crying it's my allergies

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Burn Notice is repetitive but its a procedural. Its very specifically not what Lost was or tried to be. So like, yeah, they keep going "nuh uh, this is the real mystery" but also if you actually care about the mysteries in Burn Notice you're watching it for the wrong reason. You watch procedurals because you enjoy the routine and dance and cast. Until you don't, and then you stop. And its easy to stop because you don't really care about any of that lazy meta plot stuff.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Hmm. I forgot about Burn Notice. I only watched random episodes so I never got a feel for the ongoing conspiracy but I liked it. I think I'll pick it back up!

The only thing I remember about it is when Mrs Isaboo pointed out how the main actor never closes his mouth completely and I could never unsee it

Medullah posted:

Goddam Reservation Dogs is so drat good. I'm not crying you're crying it's my allergies

Yep it is absolutely my favorite thing to watch right now

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Alias lost me the moment they unrolled an ancient scroll and boom there’s a sketch of Jennifer Garner’s face.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Are there any shows like Burn Notice in anymore?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't seen the Netflix seasons but Lucifer was definitely in the "procedural, roll back the meter each season" format. And all those CW shows are built that way.

USA was the king of the "turn your brain off" procedural but I can't even remember the last one they had. Suits?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Come to think of it, I should probably just finish watching Nikita to get my superspy fix

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Cael posted:

Alias really set the stage for (among other shows) Burn Notice where eventually every single drat season is "oh you THOUGHT you knew who was behind it but there's ANOTHER hidden deeper conspiracy level". At least with Lost the stupidity was new and "interesting", but ones like Alias and Burn Notice were just the same thing over and over again with just some new villain names.

Chuck was really guilty about this, in part I think because the show was always teetering on the brink of cancellation so they wanted to leave it in a place with everything wrapped up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Chuck definitely did the "big finish, ok new season restart the clock" thing but I think it (a) actually did give its stories proper endings and (b) did a good job making sure everything mattered and had emotional impact.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

STAC Goat posted:

Chuck definitely did the "big finish, ok new season restart the clock" thing but I think it (a) actually did give its stories proper endings and (b) did a good job making sure everything mattered and had emotional impact.

Yeah, when a show can't plan until the last minute the quality of writing dips. Park and Rec had like 3 season enders that would have worked as series finales too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey now, being vaccinated is giving me more and more advantages over the unvaccinated all the time.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1437530546893119489

It's cute that some intern thought Jim Breuer was relevant enough in 2021 to throw this tweet up though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That’s the most famous person they can find with that opinion.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
don't recognize him from anything in snl, if I saw that picture without former snl plastered above it, I'd assume that was the third guy from the git r done crew.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Khanstant posted:

don't recognize him from anything in snl, if I saw that picture without former snl plastered above it, I'd assume that was the third guy from the git r done crew.

He was the pothead guy from the mid-90s that was also in Half Baked with Dave Chappelle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I can't think of a single character he played on SNL besides generic stoner.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
How soon we forget goat boy

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Remember Lil' bush. What a thing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

In the case of Burn Notice, Matt Nix actually said that they didn't do more multi-season villains or get more complex with the conspiracy because that wasn't the show USA was looking to produce, so they kept the arcs confined to single seasons.

It did feel like the seasonal villain stuff got bigger each season and it’s why I fell off at/after S4. The small scale stuff was so much more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I know absolutely nothing about the source material but I'm totally digging Y The Last Man so far