Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Wait, how Asian do these giant robots have to be? play BattleTech by Hairbrained Schemes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-_-8D8R4CU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
We'll more or less have Battletech in once Dougram finally gets the mainline call-up.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3979280

It's time for a new draft.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Justin_Brett posted:

We'll more or less have Battletech in once Dougram finally gets the mainline call-up.

It won't matter unless we dare to refuse CLAN JADE FALCON's batchal

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

That demo gives some insight to how animations might be this game, there's a couple attacks that have odd jump cuts (V-Dash's shoulder cannons for example) which could take some getting used to if it's common.
And then there's things like this:
https://twitter.com/What_if_Gig/status/1436820406720073731

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean I'm fine with giving Getter my energy. Are you not?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

That sounds like Dinosaur talk and you know what we do to them around there parts.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ethiser posted:

That sounds like Dinosaur talk and you know what we do to them around there parts.

...Have one of them pilot the Getter?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

im with my pal, i believe in the rowdy getter lads but its a bridge too far to have a sentient breathing bot powered by evolution juice :colbert:

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Booky posted:

im with my pal, i believe in the rowdy getter lads but its a bridge too far to have a sentient breathing bot powered by evolution juice :colbert:

Counterpoint: TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN

edit: Actually, TTGL is basically what if Getter Rays were less evil, right?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

There are a fair few characters who would argue that Spiral Power isn't that much less evil than Getter Rays.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Siegkrow posted:

:anti-spiral thunk emoji:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

TTGL wasn’t even real. It was just a shared delusion given form in some higher plane of existence.

Getter Emperor is real and it is coming to get you.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I think we've had SRWs that declared Getter Emperor as the Spiral Nemesis.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

Getter is one of the inspirations, yeah. But Getter Rays generally aren't evil, per se. (Unless you're reading Getter Robo Darkness, in which case, well, that kind of fuckup is on you, buddy.) They're just... the Getter. Sometimes appearing good (like in the end of Go), sometimes terrifying and monstrous (like with the destruction of the Saotome labs in Shin). And even the characters seem unsure about where they come down on this whole Getter issue.

Similarly, spiral power isn't good or evil, but left unchecked it could destroy the universe. It's like assigning a moral value to fire.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Personally I never thought that Spiral Power ever seemed to have any kind of will or agency. It was an emergent property of life and while if unchecked and unmanaged would cause the world to end it never had the ability to make that happen itself. Getter Rays on the other hand seem to have some kind of will or agenda in many of the Getter media that I have seen which makes the catastrophic potential of it feel more sinister to me. Getter actively seems to want things to happen, and those desires often seem to be existentially horrifying or antagonistic to living a peaceful human life. Or non-human life given that Getter has a lot of non-human sapient peoples.

Also the fact that Getter seems to have chosen humanity, or prefers it over other races makes it inherently hosed up.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Not as hosed up as the Ide at least.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Spiral Energy feels like something inherent to humans with strong wills (or living creatures, i should say, given viral and bonta) while Getter Rays seem entirely separate from humanity.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The latest Getter Robo Arc episode has humanity on a genocidal galactic holy war at Getter’s behest and it rules.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ethiser posted:

The latest Getter Robo Arc episode has humanity on a genocidal galactic holy war at Getter’s behest and it rules.

Yeah, that's straight from the manga.

Seeing a preview of that future made Ryoma swear off piloting the Getter for years, only returning when human extinction was on the line.

I'm really curious how the anime's going to end this plot this month, because the manga never did. Ended on a cliffhanger.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Getter Rays be hosed up they give robots pupils and that’s not cool

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

Getter Rays be hosed up they give robots pupils and that’s not cool

Counterpoint: it is actually extremely cool.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I mean it is cool but also it is very scary. Robots with pupils that move around is a good way to amp up the unnerving what the fuckery

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Thinking back to the shin getter manga where shin is staring directly into your soul.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

JamMasterJim posted:

Not as hosed up as the Ide at least.

don't remind me. Ideon is more of a vessel for whatever Ide is, right?

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kitfox88 posted:

I mean it is cool but also it is very scary. Robots with pupils that move around is a good way to amp up the unnerving what the fuckery

Then definitely don't play the games back from the classic and alpha series (and surrounding standalone games). They licensed the SD Gundam series, rather than the actual series (I believe because it's cheaper), and the SD Gundams all had pupils.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Kitfox88 posted:

When the Mazin Emperor was revealed to be a combination of Photon Energy and Getter Rays the eyes on the thing made a whole lot more sense.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

General Revil posted:

Then definitely don't play the games back from the classic and alpha series (and surrounding standalone games). They licensed the SD Gundam series, rather than the actual series (I believe because it's cheaper), and the SD Gundams all had pupils.

I mean that's fine, they're little cute SD guys. Friends! :3:

Ryoga posted:

When the Mazin Emperor was revealed to be a combination of Photon Energy and Getter Rays the eyes on the thing made a whole lot more sense.

Yeah I hear that poo poo I'm gonna Open Get the gently caress outta dodge

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Look you can either Getter or Get Out.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Getter? I hardly know 'er!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kitfox88 posted:

I mean that's fine, they're little cute SD guys. Friends! :3:

They should bring back the SD Gundams next game. I wanna play with the Pirate crew from the latest SD Gundam series.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The only time SD Gundams are acceptable are with other Gundams for contrast.

Preferably season 1 of 00, but that may just be because I want season 1 of 00 back.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

MonsieurChoc posted:

They should bring back the SD Gundams next game. I wanna play with the Pirate crew from the latest SD Gundam series.

Wataru (for the funny little robots) and a bunch of SD Gundam guys, just the funkiest little dudes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Give me Iron Leaguer or go to hell.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Give me Iron Leaguer or go to hell.

Doctor Hell!

Japan's filthiest and exclusive home of the meanest sons of bitches in the continent of Asia! Guaranteed!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
https://www.suparobo.jp/topics/2021/namasupa/channel_03.html

Looks like a stream on the 22nd, 9PM JP time, to include 30 PV2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

https://www.suparobo.jp/topics/2021/namasupa/channel_03.html

Looks like a stream on the 22nd, 9PM JP time, to include 30 PV2.

Wonder if we'll get any info on the DLC.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Since we're likely getting a ton of MSV stuff in the DLC, anyone want to put odds on the Nu's Full Armor or HWS versions being available?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

wdarkk posted:

Since we're likely getting a ton of MSV stuff in the DLC, anyone want to put odds on the Nu's Full Armor or HWS versions being available?

Nu HWS has been in a zillion games by now so it's probably a safe bet.