Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Are there actual different editions or no? Mine was black and blue ink only and had some bullshit about an edition with red ink I assumed was a lie

The one after that was this book you could read forwards or backwards by flipping it around and I got maybe a quarter through it

Only Revolutions. I've yet to meet anyone that got any further than you did, I managed about 30 pages and lent it to a friend that liked HoL. They said much the same. It's pretentious as all gently caress, makes zero sense and put me off bothering with anything else Danielowski's written since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm over halfway through Poppy Z. Brite's Exquisite Corpse, and I'm having trouble deciding if a) this isn't actually horror, or if b) I'm just super desensitized at this point.

Like, yeah, there's a lot of gross visuals, but to me it's just a really depressing love story that happens to have murder in it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm currently reading HoL after years raging against it as vapid fiction that leans heavily on a gimmick to seem literary. My friends have been doing group reads all throughout the pandemic, and we chose it cuz everyone thought it would be a fun change of pace.

I'm 200ish pages into it (kind of hard to know exactly, since I've read through appendices and stuff) and I really like it. The Navidson Report is the better part, but I like the Johnny Truant sections, and got pretty emotionally bummed out reading through the letters from his mom.

Anyway it's good and I'm having fun reading it.

I haven't read any of Danielewski's other novels, but I did read The Fifty Year Sword, which is just a short story that looks novel length because of all the illustrations. It can be read in about an hour. It's a decent little "ghost" story, in that it's tonally like a spooky story told around a campfire. I recommend grabbing a copy from the library if you'd like to see the art with it, but it was originally intended to be performed live.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
Finished up My Heart Is a Chainsaw this weekend. I really enjoyed how it played out and the chapter "interludes" which are relevant essays about the slasher genre from the main character.

Started Terminal Park

The coolest thing about House of Leaves for me was definitely the parts about the house itself and the explorations. I didn't mind the twisty-turny layout in those parts because those parts were great. Johnny's involvement and story wasn't bad, but I did find it less interesting.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

having lived in LA I found the Truant bit really recognizable.

Its a good book but not a high water mark in any way IMO

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I’m currently reading the Valancourt Book of World Horror Stories Vol. 1. It’s really great so far. All the stories I’ve read have been of a better-than-average quality, some truly great. I believe all the authors represented in the volume are being translated into English for the first time, which is really cool, but also frustrating when I discover a writer whose work resonates with me but I have no other way to read more of their work unless I learn a new language.

But yeah, big recommend this anthology. I ordered like five other books from Valancourt last week to prep for the spooky season. Can’t wait.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

https://twitter.com/UweBollocks/status/1435234604940734465

Anyone know this book? I've been trying to get a vibe on it without too many spoilers, and it seems like it may be my cup of tea (an epistolary novel about a two LBGTQ+ women in an early 2000s chatroom that explores the nature of relationships and features body horror) but the negative reviews seem to harp on the gore being over-the-top and the relationship shallow. Reading about a relationship going sour in a very, very bad way sounds interesting, but I generally hate books where people are tortured for the hell of it while the grounded parts of the narrative exist as background noise.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Are there any good Witch books? My partner wants to read one for October, and the only ones I know of (but haven't read) are Hex, the Anne Rice witch series, Roald Dahl's book, and that's about it.

Anything from short stories to novels, old public-domain to modern, really any suggestion is welcome.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Are there any good Witch books? My partner wants to read one for October, and the only ones I know of (but haven't read) are Hex, the Anne Rice witch series, Roald Dahl's book, and that's about it.

Anything from short stories to novels, old public-domain to modern, really any suggestion is welcome.

I don't know their tolerances for extreme body horror and self-harm, but I recommended Negative Space earlier in the thread. More of a modern take on witchcraft then what they might be looking for, but a truly haunting one.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Fritz Leiber's Conjure Wife. Ancient Sorceries by Algernon Blackwood.

Can't vouch but you can check out THE YEAR OF THE WITCHING by Alexis Henderson.

Thread recommended Experimental Film by Gemma Files might fit too.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Anyone know this book? I've been trying to get a vibe on it without too many spoilers, and it seems like it may be my cup of tea (an epistolary novel about a two LBGTQ+ women in an early 2000s chatroom that explores the nature of relationships and features body horror) but the negative reviews seem to harp on the gore being over-the-top and the relationship shallow. Reading about a relationship going sour in a very, very bad way sounds interesting, but I generally hate books where people are tortured for the hell of it while the grounded parts of the narrative exist as background noise.

I’d also like to hear from anyone who read this as it’s always hovering around in my kindle suggestions and I’ve almost picked it up a couple times

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Big Mad Drongo posted:

This book came up on my Amazon recommends and I actually looked at the reviews due to title and cover. Seeing it pop up on here has convinced me to order it. That said I am super behind on books, so it might be next year before I get to read it (I hope not).

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I read it and it is massively overhyped and I probably would have enjoyed it more in a collection of short stories. On the other hand it is a pretty quick read. The gore is indeed over the top and it came off as cheesey to me.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

In the old cosmic horror thread, I often recommended Mirror of the Nameless by Luke Walker because it was a fun cosmic horror story. I had to stop, though, because like so many other great books, it disappeared from print after DarkFuse imploded.

Good news, though! He's self-published a slightly expanded version. Slightly bad news - it's pretty obvious where he added stuff, because the editing is not as sharp as what was done for the original release.

Even better news! He's written both a prequel (The New Gods) and a sequel (The Nameless). I'm going through the prequel now and it's just as good as the first book.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

its a bit wine mom but Alice Hoffman's Rules of Magic might fit?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

ravenkult posted:

Fritz Leiber's Conjure Wife. Ancient Sorceries by Algernon Blackwood.

Can't vouch but you can check out THE YEAR OF THE WITCHING by Alexis Henderson.

Thread recommended Experimental Film by Gemma Files might fit too.

Also by Gemma Files We Will All Go Down Together for sure is good stuff

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I picked it up after seeing that tweet yesterday morning and while I'm not sure it lives up to the idea you build in your head based on the title and the cover I did enjoy it. I think part of the problem was while it does go places it wasn't quite as vile, gory, and depraved as I thought it might be going in. You might enjoy it more if you dialed back your expectations on that front slightly.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the witch book recommendations.

We Will All Go Down Together, Negative Space and The Year of the Witching all sound especially great.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Franchescanado posted:

Are there any good Witch books?

The Golden rear end

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bonaventure posted:

The Golden rear end

Is there a preferred translation? It's been on my list for a while but I didn't know if there's any version to avoid.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
dunno about reputations, but my copy is P. G. Walsh. from minimal research I think most modern ones are fine, but avoid any public domain translations since they're more likely to be censored

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Spent the second half of this short book repeatedly yelling "IT DO BE LIKE THAT THO". About a quarter of the book by word count were the phrases "crushed marigolds" "agnes in wonderland" and "apple peeler". The cover artist does a lot more work than the author.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Wait why the hell do those specific words come up that often?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Xiahou Dun posted:

Wait why the hell do those specific words come up that often?

(two of them are repeated e-mail addresses and one is just the apple peeler they can't stop talking about)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Skyscraper posted:

(two of them are repeated e-mail addresses and one is just the apple peeler they can't stop talking about)

I just started this today, and so far there has been a lot of apple peeler talk.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

nate fisher posted:

I just started this today, and so far there has been a lot of apple peeler talk.

big mentions of that peeler

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I picked up Between Two Fires after seeing it recommended a ways back in this thread and man, that was extremely my poo poo. Last time I lurked through this thread I ended up reading Wounds, so well done to you lot.

Got a few other titles that have been mentioned here lined up to read, but I'd love more stuff in that vein of sort of biblical dark fantasy + Lovecraftian horror.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 20, 2021

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

despite being a netflix show Brand New Cherry Flavor is out of print and not listed as a ebook anywhere. very frustrating.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Hulk Krogan posted:

I picked up Between Two Fires after seeing it recommended a ways back in this thread and man, that was extremely my poo poo. Last time I lurked through this thread I ended up reading , so well done to you lot.

Got a few other titles that have been mentioned here lined up to read, but I'd love more stuff in that vein of sort of biblical dark fantasy + Lovecraftian horror.

I enjoyed Those Across the River by him also. Funny I am currently reading The Blacktongue Thief by the same writer, but it is not horror. It is fantasy and very funny at times.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Famethrowa posted:

despite being a netflix show Brand New Cherry Flavor is out of print and not listed as a ebook anywhere. very frustrating.

Check your local library and inter-library loan: https://www.worldcat.org/title/brand-new-cherry-flavor/oclc/605034375

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Kestral posted:

You want Michelle Paver's Dark Matter: A Ghost Story. If you have any tolerance for audiobooks I can highly recommend that version, great narrator.

I just finished it and thank you for this recommendation. It was an excellent book.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Just finished Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z Brite and it was wonderfully written and an absolutely heartbreaking LGBTQ novel. Super disturbing too. I enjoyed it a lot.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

DreamingofRoses posted:

I just finished it and thank you for this recommendation. It was an excellent book.

I'm glad people here are enjoying it, it's nice to be able to give back to a thread that's given me so many great recommendations :) I actually had no idea Paver had written more horror since Dark Matter until the thread pointed it out; has anyone read Thin Air or Wakenhyrst? Might be good Halloween reading.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I don't know how many of you are regular listeners to Pseudopod already but their most recent episode is Ms. Mack by thread favorite Michael McDowell. Highly worth a listen if you've got the time.

link

Dreqqus fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 21, 2021

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Kestral posted:

I'm glad people here are enjoying it, it's nice to be able to give back to a thread that's given me so many great recommendations :) I actually had no idea Paver had written more horror since Dark Matter until the thread pointed it out; has anyone read Thin Air or Wakenhyrst? Might be good Halloween reading.

Someone earlier said Thin Air is basically Dark Matter in the mountains, which tbh sounds pretty cool.

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI
Any recommendations for Southern gothic horror like (or just similar in style to) Michael McDowell? I've read Blackwater and The Elementals.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

General Ledger posted:

Any recommendations for Southern gothic horror like (or just similar in style to) Michael McDowell? I've read Blackwater and The Elementals.

Pigeons from Hell and I've heard good things about Those Across the River

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
If you aren't burnt out on McDowell you should check out Cold Moon Over Babylon too. I thought that one was way darker than Elementals or Blackwater.

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI
Thank you guys - will check those out. I'd lately started All Heads Turn When The Hunt Goes By (John Farris) but haven't been enamoured so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ornamented Death posted:

PM me whatever obscure horror books you're looking for and I'll see what I can do (once I get home next week).

I know I can help with the two listed on this page, for example.

Quoting for a new page. I'm 3/3 on this so far.