Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Now the same area that gave me bad FPS in Deathloop earlier seems perfectly fine, after restarting the game. Maybe some memory leak or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Play posted:

the port seemed to work fine.

good.

quote:

the game was boring and confusing and pretentious

good.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Give me Dragon's Dogma 2, inject that poo poo directly into my veins.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

tildes posted:

So when is Deathloop actually releasing? Steam is saying both the 14th for me (in my library) and the 13th (when I click on the store page).
Don't worry, you're not alone when it comes to this because as it turns out the Steam's store page was showing something completely different than the library page (library page was wrong). Something got hosed as usual.

Here are the unlock times that you'd have to dig out from Bethesda's website because why the hell would they inform you directly:

quote:

The Steam version will have three regional unlock times:

North/ South America: Unlocks at 9:01pm Pacific Time on September 13 (12:01am ET, September 14)
Australia/New Zealand/Asia: Unlocks at 8:01am Pacific Time on September 13 (12:01am JST, September 14)
Europe/Rest-of-world: Unlocks at 4:01pm Pacific Time on September 13 (12:01am BST, September 14)

12:01am BST is 1:01am for me which was the actual source of confusion. That's also only the time when it starts unpacking which got delayed for me as well for some reason and now says it will need another 1 hour to finish :argh:

Palpek fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 14, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sure that leak is real, just like the Switch Pro is real, and Mother 3 is coming to the US

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'll never know why game companies can't just issue times in UTC instead of forcing people to google foreign timezones.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
If you showed me a time in UTC I would absolutely have to google what it converts to in my timezone, lol.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

They put it in Pacific Time which is where I personally live, so they made the right call

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
For UTC you check what's the -/+ value for your area and just add/substract that from UTC. Like I'm -3, so if someone says 10 AM UTC it's 7 AM for me. So much simpler than having to remember specific time zones.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ok, I've played a bit of Deathloop and while the visual design is gorgeous (stylistically might just be one of the most impressive games ever made) and it literally feels like playing Dishonored in a new universe - the game is extremely easy to the point that it's starting to bug me. There's just no gameplay challenge at all, the enemy AI is braindead and while you keep finding new gadgets, you don't really need them, the starting weapon kills everybody with a headshot which is very easy to pull off. Don't get me wrong, I can enjoy a game for its setting and story but then this combat is almost unnecessary, I guess it adds flavor and is something...to do while exploring? I don't know, maybe it ramps up later on and this is just a dumb early game rant but we're talking way easier than the easiest settings of any Dishonored, there is no threat at all even from big groups of enemies. There are also no difficulty settings so you can't make the game harder, this is it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Palpek posted:

Ok, I've played a bit of Deathloop and while the visual design is gorgeous (stylistically might just be one of the most impressive games ever made) and it literally feels like playing Dishonored in a new universe - the game is extremely easy to the point that it's starting to bug me. There's just no gameplay challenge at all, the enemy AI is braindead and while you keep finding new gadgets, you don't really need them, the starting weapon kills everybody with a headshot which is very easy to pull off. Don't get me wrong, I can enjoy a game for its setting and story but then this combat is almost unnecessary, I guess it adds flavor and is something...to do while exploring? I don't know, maybe it ramps up later on but we're talking way easier than the easiest settings of any Dishonored, there is no threat even from big groups of enemies. There are also no difficulty settings so you can't make the game harder, this is it.
finally, a game for me

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Palpek posted:

There are also no difficulty settings so you can't make the game harder, this is it.

weird

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Triarii posted:

They put it in Pacific Time which is where I personally live, so they made the right call

I agree.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The 7th Guest posted:

finally, a game for me

I'll probably still use a trainer for infinite health.

.random
May 7, 2007

Zil posted:

I'll probably still use a trainer for infinite health.

I never understood the term. Isn’t a trainer supposed to make you get better rather than make you get worse? :thunk:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah over the course of a few hours I've died a few times but never really been at risk of losing all 3 of the lives the game gives you for each segment. It seems like they might have undertuned it a little bit to compensate for the lack of quicksave/quickload but I was also surprised there were no difficulty settings.

edit: and also even though I like that you can kill indiscriminately as opposed to Dishonored where there's some incentive not to, you lose some challenge there because while stealthing around is still an option it's not always a bad outcome to end up in a firefight.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maybe the difficulty is supposed to come from other players?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

goferchan posted:

Yeah over the course of a few hours I've died a few times but never really been at risk of losing all 3 of the lives the game gives you for each segment. It seems like they might have undertuned it a little bit to compensate for the lack of quicksave/quickload but I was also surprised there were no difficulty settings.

edit: and also even though I like that you can kill indiscriminately as opposed to Dishonored where there's some incentive not to, you lose some challenge there because while stealthing around is still an option it's not always a bad outcome to end up in a firefight.

I'm hoping it gets harder as you go on.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

xXxl337Julianna360N05C0PExXx keeps killing me halp

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

The stuff where an invader can mimic the appearance of normal enemies seems like they could really gently caress you up in the right hands, but I've been playing offline so far because of the VPN. Definitely looking forward to that though. But there is a limit on how often during a loop Juliana can show up whether she's another player or computer controlled so even in online mode I don't think it will be like a constant PVP thing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Has Encased been out long enough that people can give informed build advice? Taking into account things like "there are no endgame viable examples of X weapon type" or the like.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

1. Goblins ill like fire
2. Wolves hunt in packs (Arisen)

https://twitter.com/afuturemountain/status/1365266767493259272?s=20

is deathloop essentially just speedrunning, the game?

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 14, 2021

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

goferchan posted:

Midnight EST about 4 and a half hours from this post.

Palpek posted:

Don't worry, you're not alone when it comes to this because as it turns out the Steam's store page was showing something completely different than the library page (library page was wrong). Something got hosed as usual.

Here are the unlock times that you'd have to dig out from Bethesda's website because why the hell would they inform you directly:

12:01am BST is 1:01am for me which was the actual source of confusion. That's also only the time when it starts unpacking which got delayed for me as well for some reason and now says it will need another 1 hour to finish :argh:

Thank you! Glad it actually opens up tonight!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

goferchan posted:

The stuff where an invader can mimic the appearance of normal enemies seems like they could really gently caress you up in the right hands, but I've been playing offline so far because of the VPN. Definitely looking forward to that though. But there is a limit on how often during a loop Juliana can show up whether she's another player or computer controlled so even in online mode I don't think it will be like a constant PVP thing.
I feel like the extremely low difficulty directly opposes the game's entire gameplay philosophy. Why give the player all the gadgets, powers, weapons and stealth options whem the first basic setup is already an overkill? Why introduce the loop mechanic that lets you keep your unlocks when the game is too easy to ever engage with it? Why add the possibility of player invasions when that event is in such extreme contrast to the game's regular combat difficulty that it can only annoy people who enjoy breezing through the game with almost zero health loss while for people who would like the game to be more difficult - are a very rarely encountered window into what could have been.

I feel like higher difficulties need to be added with some future patch, it just doesn't make any sense.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm not planning on buying Deathloop right away since I'm not sure it'll run well on my machine, and like I said, wanna replay Dishonored 2 first, but I'm curious to see how it's perceived in the long run. I will say that some of the things I'm reading (the paucity of abilities compared to previous games, the colour-coded loot, the emphasis on a single, action-oriented playstyle) does make it sound like Arkane's trying to make a 0451-lite for the masses and I worry if that means it will ultimately be a shallower experience. Those things, and the fact that it only has four maps, with a gameplay conceit that makes you play the same content over and over again also makes me wonder if Deathloop's budget wasn't actually smaller than their other titles, buuuuuuuuuut of course I haven't actually played it so I could be talking out of my rear end here.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Honestly, the thing I'm wondering based on the difficulty being so low and talk of memory leaks/crashes on longer play sessions is if this isn't another launch Bloodborne "oh poo poo something isn't releasing and it's turning the AI poo poo-stupid, rendering harder fights or scenarios piss-easy or broken" incident.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Zereth posted:

Has Encased been out long enough that people can give informed build advice? Taking into account things like "there are no endgame viable examples of X weapon type" or the like.

I havent even found a worthwhile wiki for it.
At least in English, there may be some Russian ones out there.
There is some skill synergy between the stats and perks you get
Wings determine your starting stuff, there are descriptions when you start the game for them.
But its stuff like Blue is Tech, Black is Weapons and White is Science.
I can say there are a few skill that I could not get because my Cha wasnt high enough.

e: here is an example, i have 60 points in criminal so get those highlighted abilities, but not 3 of them because Cha and Melee are too low

So Encased companions I have come across/acquired
-Sparrow or sometimes just S - comes with a pistol
-Crump - hand to hand
-Katarzyna - Hi-Tech
-Fox - Comes with a blade but does the Psi glove very well

And my newest acquisition
-Yoko - Heavy weapons, she is what looks like, an 11y old robot Japanese girl with a big honking weapon

With appropriate face palming banter

loving Hyenas with Guns strapped to them, dont even know wtf scenario was going on here.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 14, 2021

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I only had time to play for a bit since it unlocked at 11 PM here, but with the latest nvidia drivers the intro area runs at a stable 60 FPS at 1080p with all settings on Very High and TAA enabled on a GTX 1080 and 8700k, so while I'm sure people aren't happy who think anything less than turboraytraced 8k 144 FPS is Literally Unplayable, the baseline performance isn't a disaster or anything

extremely early impressions but the voice acting is great, excited to try it for real tomorrow

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

secretly best girl posted:

Honestly, the thing I'm wondering based on the difficulty being so low and talk of memory leaks/crashes on longer play sessions is if this isn't another launch Bloodborne "oh poo poo something isn't releasing and it's turning the AI poo poo-stupid, rendering harder fights or scenarios piss-easy or broken" incident.

It isn't really any dumber than Dishonored's AI; it's just that once the game sets you loose, if you track down all the leads its given you and explore thoroughly you can power up very quickly. Like in Prey you felt really clever for doing some sequence breaking to get a shotgun early, but in this game you can just absolutely bust it wide open after it takes you off the rails-- but since there's only one difficulty setting it's also got to account for the people who aren't doing all that stuff.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Palpek posted:

Ok, I've played a bit of Deathloop and while the visual design is gorgeous (stylistically might just be one of the most impressive games ever made) and it literally feels like playing Dishonored in a new universe - the game is extremely easy to the point that it's starting to bug me. There's just no gameplay challenge at all, the enemy AI is braindead and while you keep finding new gadgets, you don't really need them, the starting weapon kills everybody with a headshot which is very easy to pull off. Don't get me wrong, I can enjoy a game for its setting and story but then this combat is almost unnecessary, I guess it adds flavor and is something...to do while exploring? I don't know, maybe it ramps up later on and this is just a dumb early game rant but we're talking way easier than the easiest settings of any Dishonored, there is no threat at all even from big groups of enemies. There are also no difficulty settings so you can't make the game harder, this is it.

Oh look, it's the same reason I didn't like Dishonored.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Phlegmish posted:

I want Dragon's Dogma 2

Hire my pawn

DD2 is supposed to release next summer. Maybe it gets pushed back, but the game was on the leaked list of Capcom's projects, which Capcom confirmed was real and also confirmed that they were still on track for the release dates as o. It's 100% happening, Hideaki Itsuno has been working on it since DMC5 wrapped up, so get hype.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I will not accept a Dragon's Dogma 2 until Deep Down is finally released.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Enjoy your zero video games, I will enjoy my one video games, eventually.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

SirSamVimes posted:

In aesthetics (which is good), story (which is bad) or gameplay (which is meh)?

It's got massive hype by the press, middling gameplay, and a pretentious setting. So yeah, a true successor to Bioshock Infinite.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Basic enemies die in one headshot, so it’s pretty easy to just wipe out everyone so far. I’m only one loop in so maybe it will get harder later on. I don’t really mind the low health though, it’s so much better than bullet sponge enemies. You do also die fairly quickly, but not quickly enough that I’ve actually died yet.

It’s fun though in general! Enjoying the story so far, everything looks cool, and the abilities are great.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
How do know how fast you die if you havent died?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Buller posted:

How do know how fast you die if you havent died?

I've never been shot IRL but I can reasonably conclude that I would die pretty fast, if so.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

exquisite tea posted:

I've never been shot IRL but I can reasonably conclude that I would die pretty fast, if so.

sounds like you should reroll

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Azran posted:

For UTC you check what's the -/+ value for your area and just add/substract that from UTC. Like I'm -3, so if someone says 10 AM UTC it's 7 AM for me. So much simpler than having to remember specific time zones.

Don't forget DST. You google the stupid local timezone, convert to UTC, convert to your local timezone, only to be an hour or two off because of DST differences.

gently caress local timezones, seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i've made barely any progress in Deathloop because i tried out the invasion mode and it's funny as hell just outright halting another player's progress by kicking them off a cliff on their last life.