Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PIZZA.BAT)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

you ever had a person point a gun in your face at such distance you can see the rifling in the barrel

twice

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

If that's too physical but you still wanna live life on the edge, wash down a couple seroquel with some nyquil and see if you can beat off before you fall asleep.

i dont know what seroquel is but lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

The last time it was a shotgun so no rifling but I still had nightmares for a few weeks

Like I get depression and ennui, but you don't wanna put ptsd on top of it. Try a rock climbing gym or axe throwing or some poo poo if you wanna get your blood going.

If that's too physical but you still wanna live life on the edge, wash down a couple seroquel with some nyquil and see if you can beat off before you fall asleep.

similarly, got robbed at gunpoint in my late teens, and 13 years later i still have ptsd issues from it, do not recommend it

idk maybe go take a dbt class or somethin echi

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
being the victim of violence fuckin sucks and is in no way ever good.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
eh both my times were cowards, not people who had nothing left to lose

one of the times the weirdo guy in the loose clique came down about 10m afterwards and was all 'hey man i saw what was coming so i grabbed my rifle and posted up i had my sights on him the whole time so if he was gonna take you out i would get him too'

uh, thanks man lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

graph posted:

i dont know what seroquel is but lol

a cns depressant, used in treating certain kinds of mental disorders.

basically it should put you right out

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

infernal machines posted:

a cns depressant, used in treating certain kinds of mental disorders.

basically it should put you right out
It's primarily used as an antipsychotic but also off-label for insomnia and gray market for coming down off meth.

It also kinda made me pull the trigger on transition because I started growing tits on it anyway lol

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

lol

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm an old so I have no strong feelings about pizza hut because it wasn't around when I was a kid.

Fukkin Round Table Pizza though, that was my goddamned jam. Also SHAKEY'S. Shakey's was the place you went for serious birthday pizza party happenings.

with all the 16mm silent classics

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

it was the saddest most pathetic thing imaginable

people already think this about me anyway

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

drop the shut up part and that meme gets 20 percent funnier

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

It's primarily used as an antipsychotic but also off-label for insomnia and gray market for coming down off meth.

It also kinda made me pull the trigger on transition because I started growing tits on it anyway lol

i know a chick my age on 500mgs a day and she just walks around like it’s no big deal

25mg knocks me the gently caress out

the sedation is similar to 1st gen antihistamines rather than benzos

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

lol at the ads for law firms scooping up gynecomastia cases from risperdal in boys

also an antipsych drug

:thunk:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

echinopsis posted:

i know a chick my age on 500mgs a day and she just walks around like it’s no big deal

25mg knocks me the gently caress out

the sedation is similar to 1st gen antihistamines rather than benzos
Yeah it's fuckin weird, sedation declines as dosage increases

still made me foggy af

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
some drugs like venlafaxine bind to some receptors at certain doses and then as the dose increases other receptors come on board so under 150mg it acts like an SSRI but above that it acts as an SNRi

wonder if it’s something like that. at higher doses maybe something stimulating comes on board that is stronger than the sedation

I just assumed tho that those with psychosis have enough dopamine to combat the sedation

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

ok so i kinda missed hp/ux along my career path, what was it's big thing?

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Sniep posted:

a big thing like a clown car that can fit a lot of clowns

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

C U L8R

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

echinopsis posted:

some drugs like venlafaxine bind to some receptors at certain doses and then as the dose increases other receptors come on board so under 150mg it acts like an SSRI but above that it acts as an SNRi

wonder if it’s something like that. at higher doses maybe something stimulating comes on board that is stronger than the sedation

I just assumed tho that those with psychosis have enough dopamine to combat the sedation

like you’re the pharmacist, so i’ll defer, but isn’t it what they call combo agonist/antagonist activity? something like that?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sniep posted:

the HP name tag. also being the only OS for the PA-RISC until the BSDs got their ports working in like 2002 followed by Linux in 2004-ish

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HP was for when you didn't want to deal with IBM for whatever reason.

e: Not that HP was the only competitor.

"what did HP bring to the table?" is like asking why there are different car makes.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

like you’re the pharmacist, so i’ll defer, but isn’t it what they call combo agonist/antagonist activity? something like that?

unsure. i’m not sure exactly what that combo refers to (never heard of anything described with that term), unless it’s just describing the nature of some drugs which are colloquially known as “dirty drugs” because they bind to loads of receptors and some as agonists and some as antagonists. idk

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

stakeholders watching me when I get a better job offer

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

echinopsis posted:

i learned a new word today “ennui” and it’s not just an echi based insult

yeah maybe hoping for an armed robbery isn’t the best solution to my problems

maybe having a stroke will tho lol.

*tapping head meme* can’t hate your job if you can’t hold one

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 14, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mtae thats the solution

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

i just read this paper yesterday. what’s especially interesting in this case is that keas are not known for being tool users, even though some other parrots have shown an inclination.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its fuckin amazing what brains are capable of

tell me if I'm onto something here:

I believe that if a person grows up and isn't exposed to certain sounds, from other languages for example, that as they grow older are unable to make those sound well at all, and you can't overcome it (or not easily)

anwyay, does this princple apply across the brain? simply, are there lots of things that need to develop early to develop well?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah. o'keefe is blessed
yep. they're doing a fundraiser rn too! https://okmusicfoundation.org/

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

echinopsis posted:

its fuckin amazing what brains are capable of

tell me if I'm onto something here:

I believe that if a person grows up and isn't exposed to certain sounds, from other languages for example, that as they grow older are unable to make those sound well at all, and you can't overcome it (or not easily)

anwyay, does this princple apply across the brain? simply, are there lots of things that need to develop early to develop well?

that’s definitely something that might have been said ten or fifteen years ago i bet. i’m not a neurologist but as i understand it we increasingly find more evidence of just how flexible our brains are, so who knows.

i think a lot about the guy in france that went in for headaches a few years ago or something and they found that his skull was so full of water to the point that he was missing like 90% of his brain, with a bunch of the rest pushed down by the brain stem. he wasn’t real smart but he had a job, wife and kids, etc. living a pretty normal life by all accounts.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
fight club is chucky p working through a bunch of his gay poo poo -- kind of poorly. he didn't come out and that in an uncomfortable 'well i guess so, but i don't like using that word!' way for years later.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

that’s definitely something that might have been said ten or fifteen years ago i bet. i’m not a neurologist but as i understand it we increasingly find more evidence of just how flexible our brains are, so who knows.

i think a lot about the guy in france that went in for headaches a few years ago or something and they found that his skull was so full of water to the point that he was missing like 90% of his brain, with a bunch of the rest pushed down by the brain stem. he wasn’t real smart but he had a job, wife and kids, etc. living a pretty normal life by all accounts.

yeah for real, our brains are amazing at recovering, and I also thing brains are amazing at allowing someone to live and function with significantly little brain

without being an expert, I wonder if there is a difference between broad functions like living and acute functions like language, or aspects of cognition.

anyway. interesting poo poo for real

echinopsis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0YEaeIClKY

hily poo poo.

I've always been fascinated with that equation, and I've seen other videos including videos by this dude explaining it, but none made it seem as inutuive and obvious as this one

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

echinopsis posted:

yeah for real, our brains are amazing at recovering, and I also thing brains are amazing at allowing someone to live and function with significantly little brain

without being an expert, I wonder if there is a difference between broad functions like living and acute functions like language, or aspects of cognition.

anyway. interesting poo poo for real

3blue1brown is a favourite in our house

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah I love the channel. I hadn't seen that video yet, and it's a couple years old. I think I always skipped over it because I thought it was one of his other 2 on the same equation. he know has 3 on it lol.

but that video there must be the clearest explanation on the planet of that equation. by miles. aboslutely miles

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I swear whenever I watch anything like that I think "huh that explanation makes more sense than what I was taught". pretty sure I just got "the derivative of this thing is that thing remember that, e is magic, so is ln, learn that, sqrt -1 is also magic, ok next we're gonna talk about matrices, everybody take a bong hit"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

echi have you heard about the feral children in india?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amala_and_Kamala as one example
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dina_Sanichar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feral_child

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
specifically those ones.. no??

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh but in general how feral humans cannot integrate into society because the window has closed on learning fundamental civilisation skills?

yeah. I wonder how much more subtle examples of that persist all throughout society.

if someone didn't learn to use reason before a certain age for example - perhaps they never can fully get it? thats just an example i'm sure something like that is somewhat true

our brain function is certainly enhanced by living in our world.

anyway makes me thnk a bit differently about judging others for their decisions and the way they act

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I swear whenever I watch anything like that I think "huh that explanation makes more sense than what I was taught". pretty sure I just got "the derivative of this thing is that thing remember that, e is magic, so is ln, learn that, sqrt -1 is also magic, ok next we're gonna talk about matrices, everybody take a bong hit"

that video also explained e better than I had ever understood it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

echinopsis posted:

oh but in general how feral humans cannot integrate into society because the window has closed on learning fundamental civilisation skills?

yeah. I wonder how much more subtle examples of that persist all throughout society.

if someone didn't learn to use reason before a certain age for example - perhaps they never can fully get it? thats just an example i'm sure something like that is somewhat true

our brain function is certainly enhanced by living in our world.

anyway makes me thnk a bit differently about judging others for their decisions and the way they act

knowing what we know now about the brain, development, and pedagogy, i am pretty skeptical about the idea that 'feral children' are impossible to integrate into society.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

echinopsis posted:

that video also explained e better than I had ever understood it

iirc that was his point behind starting the channel. i have a pretty good math background for a non-computational biologist since i started as a comp sci major and went through the calc sequence etc., but i still found his basic walkthroughs of stuff like derivatives and integrals pretty illuminating.