Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Bigsteve posted:

Has their been and hint that Hitman 3 VR will come to Pc? I know there is supposedly some bits in the code but haven't seen anything myself.

Just asking as it's on offer on Epic store and would be tempted, especially if the PSVR exclusive was a timed deal.

Nothing's confirmed. On the one hand IOI are very good about supporting the Hitman ecosystem, and see it as their primary IP, so they're likely to continue to add value to it. On the other, though, they're not afraid to charge for things they feel add significant value, so if they do add PCVR I wouldn't count on it being an addition to 3; it could be a separate product a la Talos Principle, or it could be something they don't do until 4. Plus I'm sure their upcoming Bond game is taking a lot of their attention right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://preview.redd.it/g5fheynl9zm71.gif?format=mp4&s=26b62ef39cc99b5e7d9087c14f90809e5702db89

Upgraded Guardian coming to Quest. Eventually.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
FYI on the replacement face mask that Facebook was sending for free... A while back they send emails requesting a "real" phone number, and some people were like ???, including myself. I just ignored it, figuring I didn't really care one way or another if I received the freebie. Well, rest easy with your phone number secure, I just received the mask in the mail. I guess they were just fishing for some info to sell and recoup their losses on the mask.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/pmxx7z/v32_firmware_dive_oculus_quest_pro_references/
Oculus Pro 'leaks'. The expected, imo: face and eye tracking

marumaru
May 20, 2013

unanswered questions i'm interested in: foveated rendering? new form factor?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

marumaru posted:

unanswered questions i'm interested in: foveated rendering? new form factor?

That's the big question, right?

My theory is that is called Quest Pro and not Quest 3 because it really is more oriented to Professional users, that's the people who makes sense to pay extra to eye/face tracking, to have more realistic 'vr meetings'. As a gamer I have no need of it. I mean, it would be a nice extra but not 'pay $150 more for said extra'.
The exception is eye tracking, or more accurately, if their eye tracking is good enough to do foveated rendering. As a gamer I'm interesting in that.

We will see at the end of October.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Neat stuff, hopefully we'll hear more soon. Eye tracking built in by default could open the door to some really dumb stuff. I wonder about the "pro" intentions though. Did Vive pro do well enough to warrant another headset entering that space?

Anyway, I've noticed that Google Earth VR has been getting smallish updates over the last month or so fairly regularly. Anyone know what that might be about? It doesn't seem like the occasional "phantom" updates you get as Steam does lord knows what on the backend.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Warbird posted:

Neat stuff, hopefully we'll hear more soon. Eye tracking built in by default could open the door to some really dumb stuff. I wonder about the "pro" intentions though. Did Vive pro do well enough to warrant another headset entering that space?

Dunno, but if I've learned anything from following VR it is to never underestimate what you can charge for something targeting big businesses rather than individual consumers.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I really, really don't trust Facebook with eye tracking.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think eye tracking is cool because it will let less powerful PC’s display nicer visuals and the quest hardware will be able to make things sharper where you’re looking.

Face tracking I file under the same category as the VR smell add on: I’m sure vrchat users will be stoked but I couldn’t care less.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 12, 2021

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

SCheeseman posted:

I really, really don't trust Facebook with eye tracking.

This is also known as "did you look at the ad" tech

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Warbird posted:

The pro eye was "worth" it if you had poo poo to use it with. Not much actually takes advantage so no, not really at this point. But if you do a lot of mocap/avatar stuff, things like neos and poo poo can do eye tracking now so you get real blinks/etc.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Turin Turambar posted:

My theory is that is called Quest Pro and not Quest 3 because it really is more oriented to Professional users, that's the people who makes sense to pay extra to eye/face tracking, to have more realistic 'vr meetings'.

Yeah this seems the most likely option.

Any hardware bumps this year would likely be screen or camera related as the XR2 is still Qualcomm’s top of the line XR SoC - though I suppose they could beef up the battery and active cooling system and drop the underclock. Doesn’t seem like something you’d call Quest 3 to me anyways.

The XR2 supports 7 tracking cameras in total which I guess means the Pro will have two additional cameras mounted inside for eye tracking and one by the nose for facial expressions.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Oh also I just came across this GTA5 mod last night and it’s actually pretty loving rad in combination with the VR mod. Highly recommended if you have a cadence sensor kicking around.

https://www.gtbikev.com

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Leathal posted:

Oh also I just came across this GTA5 mod last night and it’s actually pretty loving rad in combination with the VR mod. Highly recommended if you have a cadence sensor kicking around.

This is neat. Can anyone recommend a cadence sensor that will work with this?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

That's the big question, right?

My theory is that is called Quest Pro and not Quest 3 because it really is more oriented to Professional users, that's the people who makes sense to pay extra to eye/face tracking, to have more realistic 'vr meetings'. As a gamer I have no need of it. I mean, it would be a nice extra but not 'pay $150 more for said extra'.
The exception is eye tracking, or more accurately, if their eye tracking is good enough to do foveated rendering. As a gamer I'm interesting in that.

We will see at the end of October.

I'd wager they have some of the tech but not all of what they want for a Quest 3, so they forked off this thing off as a production testbed (Telepresence workers aren't gonna be too upset about the occasional eyetracking glitch after all compared to it making GBS threads the bed while doing foveated rendering). We've actually seen the eyetracking and face-tracking tech before in one of their presentations, running off a Quest-looking HMD no less.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Leathal posted:

I need a good cadence sensor for a minimal q-factor... they are all slightly too bulky and get caught on the non-drive side chainstay

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Are they ever releasing that upgrade that lets you look down to see your IRL keyboard that there were leaks of a few months ago?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

raditts posted:

Are they ever releasing that upgrade that lets you look down to see your IRL keyboard that there were leaks of a few months ago?

Iirc that was only for a particular, overpriced HTPC keyboard

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Iirc that was only for a particular, overpriced HTPC keyboard

There's also a hidden feature that allows you to make a pass through window for things like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43rRCPARIuM

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

yegods posted:

FYI on the replacement face mask that Facebook was sending for free... A while back they send emails requesting a "real" phone number, and some people were like ???, including myself. I just ignored it, figuring I didn't really care one way or another if I received the freebie. Well, rest easy with your phone number secure, I just received the mask in the mail. I guess they were just fishing for some info to sell and recoup their losses on the mask.
Do you have Google Voice or a similar forwarding service for your number? I run into that with a bunch of random things sometimes.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Im having a lot of fun with Z-race

The controller is your vehicle and you zoom around up and down like you would with your hand out a car window. Its asynchronous multiplayer so you are racing the bots of other players best time.
edit: made it to #78 after some rounds at lunch

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/4441860089166934/?locale=en_US

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 13, 2021

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Shemp the Stooge posted:

This is neat. Can anyone recommend a cadence sensor that will work with this?

I’m using a Garmin Cadence Sensor 2 which I think is 20 or 30 bucks on Amazon. It works fine but it’s hard to recommend due to the really loving odd way you have to install the battery making it super easy to snap off one side of the battery contacts.

I’ve tried out most of the VR biking games out there and they all should work fine with any ANT+ cadence sensor - it’s mostly a decision on price vs features. At the high end you apparently can get 1-1 steering and crazy poo poo like pedal tension changing in response to what’s happening on screen but we’re talking several hundred dollars to get into an ecosystem of literally a handful of games.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Tea for God is on applab!

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/3762343440541585/?utm_source=oculusapplab.com

I played just a bit of the intro before i kicked the poo poo out of my kiddos lego table but i cant wait to try it out in the bigger space

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I played SuperHot VR (SUPER. HOT. SUPER. HOT.) all day yesterday, and my legs are killing me. Probably the the most fun I've ever had doing a leg day workout.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anyone not played Half-Life Alyx yet and want a free copy? EB Games just sent me a download code for it, and I already own it. I don't know if it's region-locked in any way, so try your luck if you're not in Australia I guess? :shrug:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anyone not played Half-Life Alyx yet and want a free copy? EB Games just sent me a download code for it, and I already own it. I don't know if it's region-locked in any way, so try your luck if you're not in Australia I guess? :shrug:

Meeee pls. Been waiting for it to go in sale, you can PM me

Edit: if it works let me buy you a title.at.least

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Also puzzling places is great as mentioned and if you want more puzzles I think you can still join their patron for the next couple weeks and get an additional ~50 puzzles for 10 bucks or so

Also note that the end result is bigger the more pieces there are, so the 25 piece end results are a lot smaller than the 400 pieces

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alctel posted:

Meeee pls. Been waiting for it to go in sale, you can PM me

Edit: if it works let me buy you a title.at.least

Code has been sent, let me know if it works.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

For the crazy people who wants treadmills
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1zuLwLLHY0

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS

Alctel posted:

Also puzzling places is great as mentioned and if you want more puzzles I think you can still join their patron for the next couple weeks and get an additional ~50 puzzles for 10 bucks or so

Also note that the end result is bigger the more pieces there are, so the 25 piece end results are a lot smaller than the 400 pieces

Definitely one of the best purchases I've made lately.

That said... my first attempt at a 400 piece has been taking me over a week so far. It's the Italian(?) city. Certainly appreciate the challenge but can't deny how I often I look at my progress and say to myself 'how the gently caress do I even go from here.' 63% done!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

V33 is out
https://support.oculus.com/articles/whats-new/release-notes

quote:

Guardian History

If your headset is experiencing tracking issues, you can now use Clear Guardian history to delete Guardian maps and tracking data in addition to boundary data from your Quest or Quest 2 headset.
You can clear your Guardian history from the Guardian settings panel in VR.

Safe Browsing

We’ve implemented an additional layer of security in Oculus Browser to protect you from websites that may be potentially harmful (malware, phishing etc.)
If you navigate to a potentially harmful site, you’ll be redirected to a separate page with info on why the site may be unsafe and recommendations for how to proceed. This feature is powered by Google Safe Browsing

Link and Air Link Visual Improvements

Next time you use Link or Air Link with your headset, you may notice improved image quality and text clarity thanks to Link Sharpening. Link Sharpening makes images crisper, fine details clearer, and text more clear and easy to read.

Improved Oculus Touch Controller Sleep Management

We’re updating the Oculus Touch Controller firmware to make controllers go to sleep faster, which improves the standby battery life.
Please note that this update applies only to the original Quest to match the controller behavior on Quest 2.

Improved Multitasking

We’re bringing some of the previously experimental multitasking features to everyone. These include showing up to three currently running 2D apps in the Universal Menu, a bar beneath each window for accessing common controls, and the ability to drag and drop Browser tabs and windows.

App-Level Notifications Preferences

Notification settings are being redesigned to allow for more granular control of your in-VR notifications.

System Keyboard Updates

You’ll now see auto-correct features when typing using the system keyboard.
We’ve also improved next-word prediction. You can quickly select the next word suggestion by hitting the spacebar.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hey, has anyone here played Stormland with ReVive? I've just seen a review of it, and it looks like my kind of thing. While I have ReVive installed, I've never used it, and I'm kind of hesitant in case it doesn't work and I end up with a game I can't use. Am I worried about nothing? :ohdear:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Hyperlynx posted:

Hey, has anyone here played Stormland with ReVive? I've just seen a review of it, and it looks like my kind of thing. While I have ReVive installed, I've never used it, and I'm kind of hesitant in case it doesn't work and I end up with a game I can't use. Am I worried about nothing? :ohdear:

You can return a game in the Oculus store if you have less than 2 hours of playtime and have owned it less than 2 weeks. So buy it, try it, and return it if you don't like the way it works with revive.

It's an awesome game, one of my all time favorites.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Tip posted:

You can return a game in the Oculus store if you have less than 2 hours of playtime and have owned it less than 2 weeks. So buy it, try it, and return it if you don't like the way it works with revive.

It's an awesome game, one of my all time favorites.

Goodo! Thanks!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Also I use revive all the time, it works very well.

There's handful of games that don't work on it but I don't think it's any of the big ones, there's a compatibility list somewhere if you want to make sure.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’m super impressed with the level of support and improvements Oculus had been doing with the Quest. I’m sure a lot of that is due to deliberately releasing a scoped down version of the HMD at launch, but it’s always a delight to see them cram some additional functionality in every few months.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Tea for God is on applab!

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/3762343440541585/?utm_source=oculusapplab.com

I played just a bit of the intro before i kicked the poo poo out of my kiddos lego table but i cant wait to try it out in the bigger space

I wish I had a room big enough for this game.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I was surprised at how small of a space it can work with, for what it’s worth. Like, shockingly small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://uploadvr.com/facebook-zoom-horizon-workrooms/
Integration with Zoom is a pretty good 'get'.