Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

klosterdev posted:

Microsoft Silverlight

Adobe/Apache flex

specifically the time someone at work told me that 'it's the future because we don't need to code complex UIs anymore"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Adobe/Apache flex

specifically the time someone at work told me that 'it's the future because we don't need to code complex UIs anymore"

It’s true everything is a chat bot these days.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

see you went too far. it's the difference between someone slipping and falling, and someone slipping, falling, and never getting up.

welcome to my hell circa 2017

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

klosterdev posted:

Microsoft Silverlight

wasn’t netflix silverlight only at first?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Adobe/Apache flex

and adobe air right? there was some weird period where every app and web app was either air or silverlight. the electron of its day I guess but vastly worse

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
rim built its playbook tablet around using adobe air as the development environment

adobe cancelled air the same week the playbook shipped lmao

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

tk posted:

It’s true everything is a chat bot these days.

lol don't even

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I swear I've seen "innovation" teams trumpeting their amazing chatbot that's going to be so "transformational" and all it requires is you to find it in our godawful electron based chat platform and then decode what is basically pseudo SQL syntax to ask a question and get the answer "idk maybe"

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Gentle Autist posted:

Yes, and in the UK Sky's streaming service was still Silverlight based for years after it was EOL.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I swear I've seen "innovation" teams trumpeting their amazing chatbot that's going to be so "transformational" and all it requires is you to find it in our godawful electron based chat platform and then decode what is basically pseudo SQL syntax to ask a question and get the answer "idk maybe"

this is probably amazon lex behind the scenes. it’s basically the equivalent of a web form backed by a db. conversational interfaces are hard to do well, but very easy to fart out quickly using the lex tool chain

they can get a lot better quite quickly if you have a good team reviewing the data and iterating on the flows but not that many people get that far

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Gentle Autist posted:

drat, I remember this

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Adobe/Apache flex

My first internship gig was writing a flex tool! I thought it was so badass. (~2009 maybe?)

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Quibi

This poo poo was last year what the hell.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

Gentle Autist posted:

yeah because the web didn't support drm at the time

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

tk posted:

Quibi

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sweevo posted:

Macromedia Authorware

this looks cool, like some win 3.1-era labVIEW thing skinned in win98. who used it

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Hed posted:

this looks cool, like some win 3.1-era labVIEW thing skinned in win98. who used it

macromedia authors

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Hed posted:

people who wanted to make slightly janky little presentations that looked like menus from mid-90s cd-rom encyclodaedias.

i remember it being not too bad for small things

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/IzzzyzzzArt/status/1438299561517203456

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

tk posted:

Quibi

lmao

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

you could only send things to abu dhabi though

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

All 90s websites had a link to something like “party central” on them it really was a more festive time

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i remember my first hotmail password was only 4 alpha characters, in like 1997

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was drunk one night in college and decided that was a good time to change my excite.com mail password.

anyway that’s the story of how I signed up for my first gmail account the next day.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ah, the days of websites telling your browser to not save your password and it obeying the website instead of you
an extension to override that was always the first thing i would install

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

gamespy

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

anyone looking for a sweet desktop? endeffect is still around

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Progressive JPEG posted:

anyone looking for a sweet desktop? endeffect is still around

digitalblasphemy and also the ubiquitous background from it

e: whoah it is kind of famous

quote:

Probably my most famous piece. I initially created the mushrooms using Inspire3D (an introductory version of Lightwave) and did a render using Bryce. When I purchased Lightwave 6 I did a second render using only Lightwave and this is the result. It was really just meant to be an exercise in using gradients to control luminosity and transparency ending up becoming an icon. Funny world!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

digitalblasphemy and also the ubiquitous background from it

e: whoah it is kind of famous
wow that just shot me back to 15 years ago

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
zip disks and zip drives with 100 failure rate

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
windows 10

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

zip disks and zip drives with 100 failure rate

over 100% failure rate if you consider that the click of death was viral lol

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the click of death was something different from the damaged disk thing, and both were rare yet everybody claims it happened to them

a bigger fault with zip was that it was slow as poo poo and didn't really like reading disks in anything other than the drive they were written with

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I can remember ever so ssssssslllllooooooowwwwwwllllyyyyyyy copying MP3's to a zip disk over parallel

I liked zip disks and for me they were pretty reliable. I really liked them when I got the IDE model drive, and I had big hopes for the 250MB and 1GB varieties, but alas.......

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
in high school i put napster on a zip disk and used my school's t1 line to download some music. I would show to class early and real quick use the computer in the back and turn off the monitor. Just pop the disk when done and bam, like 5 songs right there.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
best thing about parallel zip drives was that they were actually scsi drives with a scsi <-> parallel bridge jammed in there. lmao

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

in high school i put napster on a zip disk and used my school's t1 line to download some music. I would show to class early and real quick use the computer in the back and turn off the monitor. Just pop the disk when done and bam, like 5 songs right there.

I remember a substitute teacher in our computer class (6th grade?) got excited when she discovered the school had a T1 line and then showed us how to download songs from Napster to try and be cool with us.

We already knew Napster and we’re groaning when she searched for Pearl Jam.

But then we saw T1 in action.

The thing that blew our minds was she was downloading a whole album at once and it was almost half done by the end of class.

Man, downloading times are something that is hard to explain.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sweevo posted:

the click of death was something different from the damaged disk thing, and both were rare yet everybody claims it happened to them

a bigger fault with zip was that it was slow as poo poo and didn't really like reading disks in anything other than the drive they were written with

it felt like tasting the future when i got a 32mb cf card for a camera and started using it for project files instead of redundant zip disks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
12x download time to play time ratio on dialup, iirc? for 128k mp3s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Jonny 290 posted:

12x download time to play time ratio on dialup, iirc? for 128k mp3s

Yeah that sounds right.

Remember that first time you loaded up your web browser after going from dial-up to broadband, and websites just... loaded?