Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

(BTW, I hope that was a Babylon5 joke)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Are people still watching?

Please don't give up half way!

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I hadn't heard the best things about Season 5 but holy poo poo The Long Night of Londo Mollari is a powerful piece of television :stare:.

YOU SAID NOTHING!

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

One thing I can always appreciate with Babylon 5 is how it does more with less. Some of the most impactful scenes in the series boil down to two or more characters in a dark room having a dialogue; no CGI or fancy set pieces needed. I have to think a lot of that comes down to the fact that most of the actors came from a stage background instead of pure television.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The worst bits of season 5 are the bits that ask us to care about random goings on on the station - who cares if a new gangster has set up shop given the scale of the previous few episodes?

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

It's always nice to see someone call out Garibaldi's bullshit.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

If season 5 had given lyta more to do as an actual foil to byron I think that part of it could have been infinitely better.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

"I know we agreed to save you from the Psy Gestapo but how about you join our new Psy Gestapo?"

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

I feel like plotting to destroy the Space UN's entire peacekeeping force should get you more than a tut-tut. As fun as it was to see the Drazi get put in their place I really wish it hadn't justified Garibaldi's awful loving idea.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The worst bits of season 5 are the bits that ask us to care about random goings on on the station - who cares if a new gangster has set up shop given the scale of the previous few episodes?

I thought it was fun to watch him rapidly finding out that he was in way over his head as he tried to take on the rangers

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sweevo posted:

I got a job that has me commuting 3 hours a day there and back now. I get 2.5 free hours a night before I have to be in bed. :saddowns:

Also, the big long write-ups I was doing after each ep began to feel like work, and that turned me off watching.

I'll get back into it again at some point, I just need to work out a better balance.

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I got a job that has me commuting 3 hours a day there and back now. I get 2.5 free hours a night before I have to be in bed. :saddowns:

Also, the big long write-ups I was doing after each ep began to feel like work, and that turned me off watching.

I'll get back into it again at some point, I just need to work out a better balance.

The long write ups are appreciated, but not necessary. If you want to just go "oh wow that episode really got me, can't BELIEVE Somebody did that to Somebody else that would be dope. I believe I speak for all of us in the first ones thread when I say we just want you to enjoy this good rear end story. That being said, just got a new job that's kind of sucked away a lot of my free time as well, so I understand your position.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You can always watch one episode per week. It's closer to the original 90s experience that way.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Sweevo posted:

I recently started, I'm on season 2, just finished the gift shop episode. Lmao at "we're not some deep space station!"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Terror Sweat posted:

I recently started, I'm on season 2, just finished the gift shop episode. Lmao at "we're not some deep space station!"

The exact phrase is "deep space franchise" which is even funnier.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Jesus Christ the plague episode

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Terror Sweat posted:

Jesus Christ the plague episode

Yeah, hits hard doesn't it?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Iymarra posted:

Yeah, hits hard doesn't it?

They did not gently caress around. That ending just comes and punches the poo poo out of you

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
It would have originally been aired in 1994, too, so right when a lot of people were claiming HIV was god's judgement on the LGBT community.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Whybird posted:

It would have originally been aired in 1994, too, so right when a lot of people were claiming HIV was god's judgement on the LGBT community.

That's "aired any time since 1983". I wouldn't ascribe too much significance to it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

IIRC it was more about the reaction to the situation, rather than any kind of allegory of current events. But we are skirting the edge of spoilers here, so probably the rest is best discussed in the other thread once your first watch is finished.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Now that I can watch this on HBO Max I am starting my rewatch of Babylon 5. I last watched Babylon 5 when it originally aired. I really don't remember any of this. I'm starting with The Gathering as that's listed as episode 1 on HBOMax.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hollismason posted:

Now that I can watch this on HBO Max I am starting my rewatch of Babylon 5. I last watched Babylon 5 when it originally aired. I really don't remember any of this. I'm starting with The Gathering as that's listed as episode 1 on HBOMax.

Hey, close enough. Give us your impressions as you go!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

I had a long day but I managed to finish S1 Ep1 The Gathering It was really good beginning. The CGI is really bad but I can still watch it

edit:

I am all the way up to episode 3 , drat I forgot how much I loved B5.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 19, 2021

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
E: hush

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

OnlyBans posted:

incoherent not-quite-banme post

:what: what.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 23, 2021

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

That is some strong "I took 10mg melatonin and ate half a block of old cheddar before bed last night" energy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

That is some strong "I took 10mg melatonin and ate half a block of old cheddar before bed last night" energy.

It's even stronger "I'm a rereg of a shitfucker who made a lot of bad posts in this thread earlier" energy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Midjack posted:

It's even stronger "I'm a rereg of a shitfucker who made a lot of bad posts in this thread earlier" energy.

Yeah, the "registered yesterday" bit was a clue. I'd wager money that it's Incel'shok Na back for another round, and he was a rereg of a previously banned poster.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jedit posted:

Yeah, the "registered yesterday" bit was a clue. I'd wager money that it's Incel'shok Na back for another round, and he was a rereg of a previously banned poster.

yeah it's him lol

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

OnlyBans is a pretty good username but I guess you have to be a rereg for it to really work.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Goddamn I'm at Season 1 Episode 23 Goddamn what a episode I don't remember any of this its so loving good goddamn

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

People talk a lot of poo poo about season one. I think I'll check out TNG or DS9 season 1 and see how they compare, both had some real stinkers.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

DS9 season one is okay, probably comparable to B5. TNG season one is an abomination and it's a miracle the show didn't get cancelled.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The worst DS9 had through about halfway through season 2, was a bunch of episodes where you could tell they took some A and B plots from TOS and TNG eps and mashed them together. Nothing really bad, I don't think. TNG rapidly improved after the first half dozen episodes and I think it's those first ones that mostly people have their impression of "season 1 bad" from.

B5 season 1 is 10 times better on a rewatch when you can now see what they were doing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Still seeing traffic, has anyone mentioned apparently GW Bush and his neocon friends were fans of B5? Like JMS met them once or something and it was awkward how he had to avoid saying that it was people like them that the show was opposed to.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Goddamn I'm at Season 1 Episode 23 Goddamn what a episode I don't remember any of this its so loving good goddamn

Btw, just a suggestion you might want to use episode names instead of numbers because they're sometimes slightly rearranged or renumbered in various sources. In this case though it's obvious you mean Chrysalis or the season finale, which is the only episode that can be "episode 23" in a season that actually has 22 episodes not counting The Gathering which came a year before the series proper premiered.

e: This probably only applies to seasons 1 and 2. The rest of them seem to be consistent.

Zat fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Sep 23, 2021

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

pentyne posted:

Still seeing traffic, has anyone mentioned apparently GW Bush and his neocon friends were fans of B5? Like JMS met them once or something and it was awkward how he had to avoid saying that it was people like them that the show was opposed to.

So, tell us more about this "psy-corps"...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zat posted:

Btw, just a suggestion you might want to use episode names instead of numbers because they're sometimes slightly rearranged or renumbered in various sources. In this case though it's obvious you mean Chrysalis or the season finale, which is the only episode that can be "episode 23" in a season that actually has 22 episodes not counting The Gathering which came a year before the series proper premiered.

Sounds like someone fluffed the numbering, because pilots are generally episode 00.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Jedit posted:

Sounds like someone fluffed the numbering, because pilots are generally episode 00.

That would be HBO Max, they took some liberties. https://b5remasterissues.wordpress.com/the-ugly/episode-order-changes/ & https://b5remasterissues.wordpress.com/the-ugly/the-gathering/