Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

AnEdgelord posted:

that is very stupid

in australia, it has a december release date lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Theaters are safe as long as:

1. You wear an N95, KN95, KF94 or reusable respirator and make sure it has a good seal on your face. Cloth masks suck at filtering and surgical masks have leaks on the sides.

2. Never take it off, no food, no drink

3. Wear eye protection

Is this...America? Wtf is this

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Horizon Burning posted:

in australia, it has a december release date lmao

Yeah this confuses me. Only thing I can think of is they think Vic and NSW will be out of lockdown then I guess. :shrug:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wtf is this

...good advice if you're going to a theater as covid numbers continue to surge?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I think I said it in the other Dune thread, but it's not like there's not a topical example of the rich and powerful ignoring geographers for short term gain and massive long term loss

It would be more like potential drug manufacturers not bothering to investigate where this super drug that provides prescience and extends life comes from. Did they all just shrug and accept that it magically appears on top of the sand on a single planet with only 2 notable life forms?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

The eye protection is probably a bit much.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

flashy_mcflash posted:

The eye protection is probably a bit much.

You think that but then bam, bit of something in your eye at the start of the movie, and suddenly you can't see the screen through fluttering eyes and flowing tears.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

dr_rat posted:

You think that but then bam, bit of something in your eye at the start of the movie, and suddenly you can't see the screen through fluttering eyes and flowing tears.

It's so other people can't see you cry when Shai Hulud appears

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

It would be more like potential drug manufacturers not bothering to investigate where this super drug that provides prescience and extends life comes from. Did they all just shrug and accept that it magically appears on top of the sand on a single planet with only 2 notable life forms?
I think it's that the people benefiting from the spice become immediately locked into the cycle of prescience constantly leading them to short-term rewards like a carrot dangling in front of them, at the expense of other considerations (along with the physical addiction). Prescience is a trap after all.

Martman fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 14, 2021

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I am going to kill you all.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

phasmid posted:

I am going to kill you all.

*rails a fat line of the spice melange*: no you won't, you're gonna jerk it to catgirl hentai and then take a nap.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Failed Imagineer posted:

*rails a fat line of the spice melange*: no you won't, you're gonna jerk it to catgirl hentai and then take a nap.

Wait, that's exactly what my cat did this evening. Even including threatening to kill everyone first.

...dear god do I hope my cat isn't posting on here.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

You have to show proof of full vaccination to enter a theatre here, by law. You must be in America too. A lawless land of spice, like arrakis.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Vaccinated people can still catch and spread covid :ssh:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

...dear god do I hope my cat isn't posting on here.

I should warn you my old cat did exactly this, she really liked walking/jumping on my keyboard at the most inopportune moments to cause maximum embarassment on IRC and SA.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Libluini posted:

I should warn you my old cat did exactly this, she really liked walking/jumping on my keyboard at the most inopportune moments to cause maximum embarassment on IRC and SA.

[BANNED FOR ACCOUNT SHARING]

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Hasselblad posted:

The deep desert isn't exactly an ideal laboratory condition. Just surviving in the desert is challenging without trying to do long-term experiments. Like, at some point someone probably tried radio-tagging worms to track them, but how long is a radio transmitter going to work being dragged through sand? Studying the worm life-cycle would require being in the desert long-term, and the Fremen are more than capable of destroying a research station if they don't want it there.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
It's also easy to forget that while the deep desert may contain nothing other than rocks, sand, and worms, Arrakis is home to a variety of flora and fauna elsewhere.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Arrakis is also unusually dry even for a regular desert. Every spare drop of moisture is sucked up by the little makers.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

TerminalSaint posted:

It's also easy to forget that while the deep desert may contain nothing other than rocks, sand, and worms, Arrakis is home to a variety of flora and fauna elsewhere.

Yup. Including cute little bats the Fremen use as messengers. Bat-mail, if you will.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Failed Imagineer posted:

I was already going to do this. It's right there on my calendar. Don't try your powers on me.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gROLJV_gGvQ

"Iraq-Us"

The pronunciation wars continue.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Americans are still somehow pronouncing “Kiev” completely incorrectly so this is actually very realistic that different people would pronounce it differently.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Isn't that more because it was spelled "wrong" for most of our lives? Arrakis is pretty straight forward.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

More motorcycle noise lol

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Nothing phallic about the Baron in that shot, no sir.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

Isn't that more because it was spelled "wrong" for most of our lives? Arrakis is pretty straight forward.

Are you proposing that across the entire Imperium everyone speaks the exact same language, with the exact same pronunciation? The guy who lives next door to me pronounces “horse” as “hoss”, I think it’s more believable that Arrakis might have mild pronunciation differences.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
I'm a big dune fanboy so i was gonna love this movie no matter what, and it did indeed own.
The first half was a lot more fun with all the crazy locations and spaceships, the desert is just not as fun to look at. That's just what you get when you end a hero's journey story in the second act.
Hope Villeneuve wants to keep doing these and dares to depart a bit more from the books as he goes on

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Questions for people that have seen it -
How well does it handle Paul's mentat/prescient awakening? The scenes in the trailer with the Reverend Mother looked like something out of a horror movie, which gave me hope.

And, how is my boy Jamis?

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Questions for people that have seen it -
How well does it handle Paul's mentat/prescient awakening? The scenes in the trailer with the Reverend Mother looked like something out of a horror movie, which gave me hope.

Mostly whispers of kwisatz haderach stuff (credited as "ancestral bene Gesserit voices" or something, i forget what) over shots of Zendaya looking over her shoulder and blurry closeups of Chalamets face.

Jamis water is with his tribe

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
There were some scenes: the beginning of the movie doing voiceover exposition, and the scene with Jessica and shadout mapes being so similar to the Lynch version that were a bit weird and awkward but might only bother you if you still have trauma from seeing the Lynch movie.

Not to sound too negative with this, like I said i loved it, the rest was perfect, movie of the year etc

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The United States posted:

If you want more D U N C it might be better to spend your $15 on an HBO Max sub and watch only D U N C over and over

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-office/dune-hbo-max-release-1235062312/

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1437516658827014146
setting up my tv to loop D U N C over and over for a month

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Jewmanji posted:

Americans are still somehow pronouncing “Kiev” completely incorrectly so this is actually very realistic that different people would pronounce it differently.

??

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

It’s pronounced “Keev”, not “key-ev”

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jewmanji posted:

It’s pronounced “Keev”, not “key-ev”

It's pronounced "Kyiv"

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's pronounced "Kyiv"

My point stands

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So is the moviefilm out?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Saw it yesterday afternoon. The first showing was at 17:00 and there were maybe fifteen people total in the theater with us, which really owned. Apparently the later showings were all sold out though, I guess the matinee is still too early for people who couldn't take off work.

Movie good. Movie long. Need more movie.

The spoilery bits:

• I really, really like Denis's take on the aesthetic of the universe, the movie really hit that out of the ballpark for me in most ways.
  • The acting was really stellar across the board, the only real exception I would make here was Zendaya -- but that's purely because we barely saw her the entire movie and half of her lines were literally just her whispering "Paul". Looking forward to more in the next movie, if we get one. Rebecca Ferguson was really a stand-out performance, and Jason Mamoa makes a great Duncan... so much so that I hope Part Two either rolls the second half of the book in with Dune: Messiah, or somehow moves the Hayt character forward in the timeline.
  • At first I was surprised just how much was pulled nearly one-to-one from the Lynch movie in certain scenes, but then I realized that's probably because those Lynch scenes were pulled one-to-one from the book.
  • I was very pleasantly surprised that Hans Zimmer brought back one of the main leitmotifs from Lynch Dune in the soundtrack, the four-note theme popped up in a scene later in the movie just before Paul and Jessica meet up with Stilgar and co. Made me smile.

The non-spoilery bits:
  • Maybe the theater I was in sucks (it kinda does), but this movie is extremely whispery/raspy in a way that is often really difficult to understand. My husband, who hasn't seen the Lynch movie nor read the book, had to lean over and ask me multiple times what people just said -- and not just because of weird terminology or proper names. We'll watch it again with subtitles on when it's released for streaming.
  • Speaking of, my non-Dune, non-sci-fi-in-general husband said he really liked it, and we spent nearly the entire dinner afterwards talking about it and the universe and stuff.
  • I unfortunately had to see it in 3D, but I will say that it's probably the best 3D movie in years -- because it barely makes use of the 3D at all. It works really well on some of the grandiose, larger-than-life architecture of Caladan and Arrakeen though.
  • The back half does drag a little. I mean, it's a long movie, but even I found myself looking at my watch around two hours into it.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I was a friend of Jamis.

Drone fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 16, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Drone posted:

I unfortunately had to see it in 3D, but I will say that it's probably the best 3D movie in years -- because it barely makes use of the 3D at all. It works really well on some of the grandiose, larger-than-life architecture of Caladan and Arrakeen though.

Maybe I will see it in 3D then

Some of the best 3D I can remember was in Gravity distance shots and Prometheus landscape shots, where nothing was moving fast and they just wanted you to soak in the scale of what you were looking at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lukewarm on the movie - felt like they had to rush to squeeze in scenes from the book and you barely had the time to take in a scene before they had to jump to the next one

ends on a fairly meh scene too