Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

more impressions: game is pretty good, I agree with whoever said it was basically Dishonored Arcade Mode, with a bit of the Outer Wilds thrown in, in that it's a big mechanistic system and you're encouraged to find the most efficient way through. so far the game is signposting what's going to be the One True Solution pretty hard, which is a little disappointing, but who knows how straightforward it'll turn out to be.

I haven't minded the dumb AI too much because the enemy weapons are pretty damaging relative to your health, so it's a bit like :darksouls: in that a random nobody can take a big chunk out of your health if you're careless. although that in itself is undermined a bit by the health items lying literally everywhere. Maybe I'm just bad at video games idk. I do worry that the starting weaponry has been so effective at moving down the goons that there's going to be less incentive to wrap up all the puzzles/NPC side stories if the only reward is marginally better weapons.

I've got no idea how you would classify this game as woke in a negative way unless the mere existence of a protagonist who isn't white and male is somehow a problem, in which case you're going to find the 21st century pretty rough I guess. I'm too early to comment much on the plot, but there doesn't seem to be much of an ideological dimension to the villains so far apart from a vague hedonistic libertarianism.

also Cole is a great protagonist and that definitely elevates the whole thing. he's perfectly balanced between righteous anger and simultaneously having the time of his life, reminds me a bit of BJ Blazkowicz in the the less dour bits of the new Wolfenstein games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Pwnstar posted:

Also Dishonored doesn't have a morality system, it has a "how do you want to play the game" system.

Call it what you like. The game basically states that Chaos is the "bad end" system.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Wonder if this will sell typically for an Arkane game. Great reviews but "bad" sales figures.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Protecting The Loop loving rules :allears:

https://clips.twitch.tv/LazyRelievedNuggetsGrammarKing-8I5B_hTROAsKiayq

Hopefully 'time to matchmake' is reduced in the coming days as more players come online, cause I was having 5-10min waits between rounds.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I’m on a 2080 and an i7 with 32gb of ram and no stuttering at all. Mind you I was on old drivers so maybe that will change things once I update those.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ZeeBoi posted:

Wonder if this will sell typically for an Arkane game. Great reviews but "bad" sales figures.

Probably get a bit of a lift from being a PS5 game at a time when people are starved for PS5 games.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

pleased to report that i fired the game up just for 10 minutes to check if the thing would even run on my 1060 and it seems perfectly fine with everything set to high and vsync and FSR on, albeit i haven't seen any areas outside the starting one or any massive firefights or anything

i did get one graphical glitch though that i haven't seen mentioned here and i was wondering if anyone else could chime in, on the tutorial screen where you pick your day's loadout for the first time i was getting some sort of white flickering overlay across the screen which was supremely obnoxious, has anyone else gotten that? doesn't seem to happen on the journal pages or anything

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I think what the problem with the difficulty boils down to me is that the game features a robust weapons system complete with colored loot and gun mods, then on top of that it adds special powers which serve as rewards for exploration and killing important enemies - all the while the combat is so easy that you can roll the entire game with the starting gun and a powerless protagonist. So all of it is kinda useless. I don't know if I'd need some complex behavior AI because that's really hard to pull off - but games often managed to create a satisfying difficulty curve with other means like with ramping enemy types and attacks - Arkane did a decent job with that in Prey. Just any sort of challange would be nice. Alternatively combat could be more of a side thing to the narrative without what ammounts to much ado about nothing. I still can imagine them adding harder difficulties to the game in some future patch.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

based on their past releases, how likely is Arkane to support the game past release?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

God, this game is gonna have a wild loving speedrun, isn't it

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Not sure if it's been mentioned ITT yet, but the PC release supports Dualsense haptics and resistive triggers. Plug in a Dualsense via USB and it just works. If you're willing to give up the mouse it's worth it, it feels great.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

grieving for Gandalf posted:

based on their past releases, how likely is Arkane to support the game past release?

Based on past releases, very likely to have at least one expansion. Based on it being a timed Playstation semi exclusive by a company owned by Microsoft, who knows.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Pwnstar posted:

The 0451 gag is pretty good.

agreed, I saw it coming but it was still nice

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Palpek posted:

I think what the problem with the difficulty boils down to me is that the game features a robust weapons system complete with colored loot and gun mods, then on top of that it adds special powers which serve as rewards for exploration and killing important enemies - all the while the combat is so easy that you can roll the entire game with the starting gun and a powerless protagonist. So all of it is kinda useless. I don't know if I'd need some complex behavior AI because that's really hard to pull off - but games often managed to create a satisfying difficulty curve with other means like with ramping enemy types and attacks - Arkane did a decent job with that in Prey. Just any sort of challange would be nice. Alternatively combat could be more of a side thing to the narrative without what ammounts to much ado about nothing. I still can imagine them adding harder difficulties to the game in some future patch.

I did the party mansion level just now and there were like 100 NPCs in an enclosed space, you probably can't do that with the starter gun. So there are challenges to find. Also fighting human invaders can be tough - though you get 3 lives and they only get 1 so you can't get bullied too hard by crazy pvp dudes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Palpek posted:

Here's an honest question: how far along are you?

Because I suspect you're not very far.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

acksplode posted:

Not sure if it's been mentioned ITT yet, but the PC release supports Dualsense haptics and resistive triggers. Plug in a Dualsense via USB and it just works. If you're willing to give up the mouse it's worth it, it feels great.

drat that rules. I've never seen anybody use the Xbox trigger haptics outside of Forza Horizon

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
all difficulty in prey dropped off a cliff the moment you got a shotgun, so.

ARRGHPLEASENONONONO
Feb 5, 2001

I’m liking it a lot so far. Game seems to be balanced around a mix of not being so super aggro that you spawn a ton of enemies around you and the fear of invasions (by real players). I suspect that if the AI were super smart the player invaders would easily destroy you and that’s how they tuned the AI.

BTW playing on PS5 I also got some odd hanging issues (2 or 3 times) in the beginning but not since then.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The invasions could be really cool but holy gently caress they are sooo laggy

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
story very interesting after an hour. why do only cole and juliana remember loops? there are multiple loops happening concurrently? what is the original intent of the loop? doesn't seem to be just the party. why do the visionaries agree to this - seems like if you don't remember it's almost hell to repeat the same day again and again.. and why set your eternal paradise on a winter island rather than a tropical paradise?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Does the loop stress mechanic ramp up the difficulty much? That's the main thing i'm wondering about. I need like, 700 dollars of PC upgrades (and that's only because i know a guy with a second hand graphics card lol) to play this at 'reccomended' specs, i don't even hit the minimums- and i'd want there to be like, a good, decent challenge there. I'll still probably play it eventually either way, but that's like, the difference between wanting to rush in or not.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Walrus posted:

story very interesting after an hour. why do only cole and juliana remember poops? there are multiple poops happening concurrently? what is the original intent of the poop? doesn't seem to be just the party. why do the visionaries agree to this - seems like if you don't remember it's almost hell to repeat the same day again and again.. and why set your eternal paradise on a winter island rather than a tropical paradise?

i will stop doing this when i am dead

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

In case anybody else runs into this: If you've got an Nvidia card and run into performance trouble, try updating your drivers. Fixed the issue entirely for me.

Only just gotten done with the tutorial loop, but I already love how pulpy the tone is. Colt is such a lovable dumbass. :allears:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

If you go to Karl's Wharf (in the morning?) there's an audio log that involves some eternalists talking about opening a breach and then killing anything that comes out

It may just be regarding timeline clones like we see from the very beginning but the way it was worded ("anything" and the rest of the context of the message) it sounded like it might be hinting at some kind of extradimensional/alien beings to fight.

I am pretty certain by now that this doesn't happen in-game, but there's more evidence of it happening in-universe as spotted here. DLC maybe?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've locked the FPS to 60 in the control panel and the stutter is gone. Game looks and runs great with RTX on, I wish I could go higher than 60 but it's not really a dealbreaker as long as locking it makes it playable.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

explosivo posted:

I've locked the FPS to 60 in the control panel and the stutter is gone. Game looks and runs great with RTX on, I wish I could go higher than 60 but it's not really a dealbreaker as long as locking it makes it playable.

don't forget to post a steam review blaming it on denuvo though

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Nea posted:

Does the loop stress mechanic ramp up the difficulty much? That's the main thing i'm wondering about. I need like, 700 dollars of PC upgrades (and that's only because i know a guy with a second hand graphics card lol) to play this at 'reccomended' specs, i don't even hit the minimums- and i'd want there to be like, a good, decent challenge there. I'll still probably play it eventually either way, but that's like, the difference between wanting to rush in or not.

I really didn't notice loop stress changing anything. Even on my last run where I killed everyone it did not seem like anything had changed. Honestly not sure if the mechanic works or not.

Drunken_Pirate
May 7, 2007
Definitely recommend playing around with in-game framerate settings too, my first half hour left me feeling slightly sick but switching on V-Sync in game solved it for me.

I'm really enjoying this. I love immersive sims and Dishonored/Prey in particular. I do miss searching every nook and cranny for upgrades, but it's kind of liberating knowing that you'll lose most of what you collect when you loop, so you might as well use it. In Dishonored I'd spend most of my time maxed out on gadgets, ammo etc but still run around carefully knifing people to avoid wasting anything. The loop mechanic mixes that up nicely.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
This game is so loving cool. I love the aethetics, the feel, the story/voice acting and the investigative aspect of this. Plus the feeling of getting absurdly powerful. I agree with the criticism that the enemy AI is pretty weak, but at least for me it's entirely irrelevant to what I'm enjoying about the game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pwnstar posted:

Re: Difficulty

Also Dishonored doesn't have a morality system, it has a "how do you want to play the game" system.

yeah that makes alot of sense. i just beat the tutorial/first quest. and it feels a "little" easier now that i have the basic controls and movement/shooting down. its really fun so far.

The Walrus posted:

story very interesting after an hour. why do only cole and juliana remember loops? there are multiple loops happening concurrently? what is the original intent of the loop? doesn't seem to be just the party. why do the visionaries agree to this - seems like if you don't remember it's almost hell to repeat the same day again and again.. and why set your eternal paradise on a winter island rather than a tropical paradise?
i am not that far but its clear they are stuck on the first day and they don't realize fully that they are in the loop. i assume the anomly effect colt and juliana differently

Gamerofthegame posted:

all difficulty in prey dropped off a cliff the moment you got a shotgun, so.

this.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Drunken_Pirate posted:

I'm really enjoying this. I love immersive sims and Dishonored/Prey in particular. I do miss searching every nook and cranny for upgrades, but it's kind of liberating knowing that you'll lose most of what you collect when you loop, so you might as well use it. In Dishonored I'd spend most of my time maxed out on gadgets, ammo etc but still run around carefully knifing people to avoid wasting anything. The loop mechanic mixes that up nicely.

Yeah liberating is the word, the time loop makes me less uptight about stealth and exploration. I'm free to follow mission indicators and leave areas unexplored, since I know I can check it out later without missing anything.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Going to echo the complaints / concern about the AI. I don't think it's personally detracting too much from the game but it's been noticeable a few times, especially using stealth to approach certain situations.

I also feel like the exploration is a little bit weaker than it was in Dishonored / Prey, but this might stem from there being no currency mechanic in the game like they had (or crafting, in Prey's sense). Multiple times I've climbed to the top of something and expected a prize and nope, nothing.

Overall I really like the game, though. It's world building is fantastic, really strong voice acting and the writing and setting have me really interested in playing around more and figuring it out. I was someone who always stuck to stealth in Dis 1 and 2, so I am liking that this game is far more accessible to just going loud and fast and dumb.

I really like puzzle aspect of figuring stuff out via exploration, then using that knowledge on subsequent loops. Game good, hopefully will continue to be good and get better.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

Ended up getting it despite the AI reviews and a marginal graphics card. For what its worth it seems to run pretty well on my GTX 970 w/ 4gb VRAM despite getting a warning about it, but I'm only 15min in so far so we'll see once things open up.

Could you post an update once you played a bit more? My main worry is that my specs are too low to play the game, but my setup is pretty similar to yours, so if you have no issues with running it, I might actually end up buy it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

iGestalt posted:

Going to echo the complaints / concern about the AI. I don't think it's personally detracting too much from the game but it's been noticeable a few times, especially using stealth to approach certain situations.

I also feel like the exploration is a little bit weaker than it was in Dishonored / Prey, but this might stem from there being no currency mechanic in the game like they had (or crafting, in Prey's sense). Multiple times I've climbed to the top of something and expected a prize and nope, nothing.

Overall I really like the game, though. It's world building is fantastic, really strong voice acting and the writing and setting have me really interested in playing around more and figuring it out. I was someone who always stuck to stealth in Dis 1 and 2, so I am liking that this game is far more accessible to just going loud and fast and dumb.

I really like puzzle aspect of figuring stuff out via exploration, then using that knowledge on subsequent loops. Game good, hopefully will continue to be good and get better.

i think the AI is poor with stealth but its alright in combat so far. eternalists have been able to track me down and flush me out a couple times.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

okay it eats 18-20GB of VRAM, may explains one thing or another.

also reminds me for some reason (aesthetics I guess, maybe sounds?) of We Happy Few only that it isn't a total desaster.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

is there anything I can do with Residium besides infuse equipment to save it between runs?
Do I keep the saved guns after I die in the next run?
Do I have to go back to Wenjie's lab to infuse new stuff? (nevermind these last two were answered in-game shortly afterward, you can infuse from the between-missions loadout screen. And they do remain infused in future runs.)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Pretty sure it’s just for saving stuff yeah

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Palpek posted:

What Deathloop wants me to do: find alternative paths to approach locations from less guarded sides, use stealth, when things go tits up then shoot, use all your gadgets, use powers to cause mayhem and escape when you're pinned down
What I do: shoot in the air at the most heavily guarded side so that I get the attention of the most ammount of enemies, mow down all of them with a machine gun as they zero-in on me in neatly organized rows, maybe throw a couple of grenades to kill most of them first if I'm feeling lazy

So yeah, just forget it, the AI is a joke.
This is how I take out more than half the Wenjies. Jump into the room with the turret, set it up at the top of the tower, go loud and wait. Thank you infinite ammo turret!

Looking forward to how much harder this gets with the loop stress, which I haven't encountered yet.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 14, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pwnstar posted:

IIRC doesn't the game world become noticeably shittier if you kill a bunch of people? That seems pretty close to just declaring a "right way" vs "wrong way."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Okay yeah the alarm sound that plays when an enemy dies definitely does not alert other enemies, here's another example

Killed her friend 3 feet behind her, she's covered in his blood - and not alerted.