Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

ShadowMar posted:

i've made barely any progress in Deathloop because i tried out the invasion mode and it's funny as hell just outright halting another player's progress by kicking them off a cliff on their last life.

:hmmyes:

I have also been the victim of this, but it is the cosmic scales balancing out my crimes against other players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lmao

I can't wait for DD2

e: the pawn's voice becoming fainter as she says the pitfall line hahaha

e2: I don't have a twitter account or I would click one of the good serotonin buttons for you for sure

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Sep 14, 2021

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zereth posted:

Has Encased been out long enough that people can give informed build advice? Taking into account things like "there are no endgame viable examples of X weapon type" or the like.

I picked my build by throwing darts, but I do have a pro tip: there is a Brains-related perk that gives you extra skill points per level. It's not retroactive, so if you're planning on getting it, do it as soon as possible.

e: as for weapons, I would say just pick one that you like and upgrade it to max. There are 10 upgrade levels, and the vast majority of weapons you find seem to start out at 1-5. There are probably differences between the base weapons as well, but I honestly find it very difficult to compare since the game doesn't seem to tell you how much AP the basic attack costs for any given weapon unless you equip it first

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Sep 14, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Antigravitas posted:

Don't forget DST. You google the stupid local timezone, convert to UTC, convert to your local timezone, only to be an hour or two off because of DST differences.

gently caress local timezones, seriously.

Just think, we could have had Swatch Internet Time! Mankind just doesn't know when it is blessed with inventive boons. Like Esperanto!

But yeah, I tend to use https://everytimezone.com/ a lot, because moving a slider around is easier than math.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If you're playing Dragon's Dogma, add me on Steam so you can use my smart + sexy max level sorceress with the best gear possible. Probably best suited for endgame content as otherwise she'll tank your xp gain. Be warned that I'm using the advanced versions of spells, I don't care that it takes her three hours to cast one

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Do the player invasions in Deathloop seem like an optional, opt-in sort of mechanic like in Souls, or is it more of a core element? I hate that poo poo.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Trickyblackjack posted:

Do the player invasions in Deathloop seem like an optional, opt-in sort of mechanic like in Souls, or is it more of a core element? I hate that poo poo.

Both sorta? You can turn the online functionality off, but you'll still get invaded by the AI instead of a real player

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Trickyblackjack posted:

you can disable the player invasion part but you will still have to deal with the ai invader instead at times

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

the issue with turning off player invasions in Deathloops is the fact that the invader AI is legit dumb as gently caress so its significantly easier and far less interesting than an actual player. like, its really awful and a complete non-threat to you in any way in my experience.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Zereth posted:

Has Encased been out long enough that people can give informed build advice? Taking into account things like "there are no endgame viable examples of X weapon type" or the like.

Yeah, I'd also suggest focusing on a single particular weapon type. Each class seems to have four different subweapons, so you can easily have a pair of different tools for different situations. I started by playing both melee and heavy, but kind of regret spreading out. What does feel overpowered is stealth, as you can often just pile on isolated enemies before they can call for help and then clean up areas without aggroing everyone.

I've completed act 1 and I feel confident in saying the game is good. Really taps that Fallout 1 & 2 nostalgia, writing is usually direct and to the point and the worldbuilding and characterization is good without being too verbose like a lot of CRPGs. The only caveats I'd offer is that fatigue is frustrating in the early game (before you accumulate an infinite supply of coffee) and that the combat is closer to FO1&2 than it is to all the post-XCOM tactics games, so that part feels dated to me.

I also have choice paralysis on which companions to bring along as the core party, so good job, game.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/DyingLightGame/status/1437749218324537345

more delays for everyone

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I got another CSGO voter goon scammer/stolen account. Goes by these names. Please let him know about this.
Oxygenthief
Lordofwar
Scott

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198007626959/

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

busalover posted:

It's got massive hype by the press, middling gameplay, and a pretentious setting. So yeah, a true successor to Bioshock Infinite.

I really think we're playing two different games if you're finding it pretentious in writing or setting in any way that can be remotely compared to Bioshock Infinite.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

not a lot of hope for dying light after this much trouble

hope its as good as the first but not good signs IMO

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

.random posted:

I never understood the term. Isn’t a trainer supposed to make you get better rather than make you get worse? :thunk:

Got curious about this myself. There are a couple reasons, apparently.

https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/115737/what-does-game-training-have-to-do-with-an-application-that-cheats-in-a-game

quote:

Like most things that originated with piracy groups, the term originated as a way to describe hacks in games that didn't sound quite so illegal. (There are many similarities between the history of "trainers" and the history of "demos", for example).

The original trainer patch programs were generally done by the same groups that pirated games and released cracks to bypass their software protection; often the two jobs were done by similar programs. Even today it's not entirely clear if "reverse engineering ban" clauses in EULA's are enforceable or not, and producing a patch that can do what training programs can do almost always involves reverse engineering.

For those reasons, the groups releasing these programs did not want to call them "hacks" or "patches" or "cheats", but wanted to find a term that game them a sense of legitimacy, and largely settled on "trainer".

The idea is that, by turning off normal restrictions such as limited lives, you could do "practice runs" through a game without worrying that you would die and have to start over. If you reached a particularly difficult area of the game, or wanted to try some new strategy, you could active the "trainer" and practice running through that part of the game over and over until you were satisfied that you could do it normally. Thus, the cheats were a way for you to "train yourself" to play the game safely, in the same sense that you might use blunted "training swords" to practice swordfighting safely.

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

No, sir, I don't care for Frungy.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I got another CSGO voter goon scammer/stolen account. Goes by these names. Please let him know about this.
Oxygenthief
Lordofwar
Scott

I just got one of these from another goon: razorvip3r

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198122397720

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

maybe the difficulty is supposed to come from other players?

Reading through comments and reviews, there seems to be an issue where an overwhelming amount of players chose to play the female option and they experience inordinate waiting times for invasions.
Meanwhile the few 'Colt' players who did not smash offline mode with a prejudice immediately are getting ganked at every turn possible.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Scalding Coffee posted:

Oxygenthief
Lordofwar
Scott

How do they keep stealing accounts or somehow subverting them? Are they getting passwords from big leaks and trying them out on steam or something?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Play posted:

How do they keep stealing accounts or somehow subverting them? Are they getting passwords from big leaks and trying them out on steam or something?

No, none of that. One day you receive a message from a friend saying "hey, help me here, vote for my CS team" and they give you a link. You are helpful. You click on the link, it asks you to login into Steam. You don't think much of it. It opens a window mimicking the Steam login interface pretty well, so you put in your password and then your Steam auth code. And now you are hosed. Your account is compromised and starts sending similar messages to all of your friends (I know you only have two in your list, but for the purposes of my explanation here imagine you have 100).

Basically, it's a phishing attack that relies on people trying to help an e-friend of theirs. And it spreads far because most people have dozens friends. If only one of them falls for it the cycle continues.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 14, 2021

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The core lesson here is to never help your friends online.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The real lesson is not to be friends with CS:GO players

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the real lesson here is to only make steam friends with people you know in real life because the rest of you weirdos are complete strangers to me

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Cowcaster posted:

the real lesson here is to only make steam friends with people you know in real life because the rest of you weirdos are complete strangers to me

Takes one to know one.

boom gottem

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Unsighted comes out September 30th and will be on Gamepass

I would describe it as something inbetween Crosscode and Hyper Light Drifter. There should still be a demo available to try.

also coming to gamepass: Subnautica Below Zero on the 23rd (alongside Sable). stuff we already knew about include Flynn Son of Crimson tomorrow, skatebird on the 16th, aragami 2 on the 17th, astria ascending on the 30th

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Better delay than sorry. Nobody wants to land in the shoes of CDPR, especially not another huge Polish development studio :laugh:.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This isn't a complaint about Deathloop specifically, but seriously why the gently caress do so many games gimp your mouse acceleration/sensitivity? Every goddamn game I load into it and go "wow this is awful" and immediately pull up the settings menu to fix it. Why do developers insist on doing this.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i know that acceleration is frowned upon because it means non-equal distances of travel in your aim for the same amount of mouse movement on your desk

and high sensitivities get pooh-poohed by pro gamers who want a very low sensitivity and instead use two foot wide mousepads to sweep their entire arms length along

but in either case i don't think i've ever noticed a game deliberately preventing you from fiddling with either

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 14, 2021

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I find that most games put the default sensitivity way too high, and I've gotten used to going in and dropping it by like half. Deathloop is the first game in recent memory where I actually wanted to bump it up a bit.

I don't think there's any magic value that's going to be perfect out of the box for any significant number of players so adjusting it is just part of starting the game up for the first time.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZt90OPsxdc

This new ARPG with some kind of building mechanic looks interesting.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
If it were implemented well, it would be cool if you could set your "global game preferences" or something in the the Steam API that games could hook into and use to adjust your defaults accordingly. You could start up a new game and it would know that you like playing inverted on a controller, or always prefer subtitles on, or desired mouse sensitivity or FOV or whatever.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Triarii posted:

I don't think there's any magic value that's going to be perfect out of the box for any significant number of players so adjusting it is just part of starting the game up for the first time.

1. 1 is the perfect multiplier for your mouse speed.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah games love to have the sens way too high. the best are older games that didnt consider 1600+ dpi so u have to ini edit a lower value

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We'll just have to add mouse calibration tests similar to the gamma calibration. It's gotta be done, sorry.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

OhFunny posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZt90OPsxdc

This new ARPG with some kind of building mechanic looks interesting.

Looks good overall. Here's hoping it also has decent replay value.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Sab669 posted:

1. 1 is the perfect multiplier for your mouse speed.

A game has to map units of mouse movement to degrees of camera rotation using some arbitrary value, and a multiplier of 1 is almost certainly not what anyone wants. If you have a 1600 dpi mouse then that would make moving your mouse one inch spin your character around over 4 times. (Or over 250 times if you're handling camera rotation in radians for some reason!)

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Sab669 posted:

This isn't a complaint about Deathloop specifically, but seriously why the gently caress do so many games gimp your mouse acceleration/sensitivity? Every goddamn game I load into it and go "wow this is awful" and immediately pull up the settings menu to fix it. Why do developers insist on doing this.

What is your sensitivity? I think it’s just a personal preferences thing where the range of preferences is too large to meet. Maybe you have a much higher sensitivity than the average?

I have the opposite problem and every single FPS sensitivity is way way too high for me by default, and I usually end up having to have an ingame sens of like 4/100 or something dumb to make it workable. So for me Deathloop was actually somewhat better than normal. I still would really prefer if every game developer let you enter in fractions on their sensitivity sliders by default though. I don’t really get how devs of FPS games don’t have some people in the office with a 15” 360 to fight for this for me.

goferchan posted:

If it were implemented well, it would be cool if you could set your "global game preferences" or something in the the Steam API that games could hook into and use to adjust your defaults accordingly. You could start up a new game and it would know that you like playing inverted on a controller, or always prefer subtitles on, or desired mouse sensitivity or FOV or whatever.

Using mouse-sensitivity.com and just memorizing my CS:GO sens is the best workaround I’ve found for this to keep your sensitivity the same through games, but yeah something like this would be amazing.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Triarii posted:

A game has to map units of mouse movement to degrees of camera rotation using some arbitrary value, and a multiplier of 1 is almost certainly not what anyone wants. If you have a 1600 dpi mouse then that would make moving your mouse one inch spin your character around over 4 times. (Or over 250 times if you're handling camera rotation in radians for some reason!)

I just meant like mirror the sensitivity in Windows. Just use that as the default in all games.

For Deathloop, what are these techno-glitch looking objects in the world? "Come back later" kinda things? I cannot interact with this, nor a book I found elsewhere...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

looks like a delicious flask of space whiskey

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Triarii posted:

what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/wilnyl/status/1437839610445451266