Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Speaking of broken games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMN3EA54kW4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

All these cool things like the Cyber Akuma costume, Rival Schools chars, etc feel like way way too drat little, too late. I remember people asking for this poo poo back in SF4. Maybe it's just coming now because they gave Ono the axe and gave someone with the ability to make good decisions the job.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Faffel posted:

All these cool things like the Cyber Akuma costume, Rival Schools chars, etc feel like way way too drat little, too late. I remember people asking for this poo poo back in SF4. Maybe it's just coming now because they gave Ono the axe and gave someone with the ability to make good decisions the job.

dan is pretty much one of the best designed characters in street fighter, even though hes trapped in sf5. im 100% convinced much of (but probably not all of) the shittiness has been the buck stopping at him.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
every one of the stopgap characters they've released this season has been great imo

They made Rose a compelling character who does fun things!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Like, I know that gamedev is a pretty massive scale thing that has hundreds of people involved in years of work to create a product, and that makes me wary of the 'Ono Gone now Game Good' mindset.

But drat if SF5 isn't at one of the best places it has ever been right now, and it really does seem like it's because CapCom got rid of a bad influece using their weight to make bad decisions.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

its not at the level of how fuckin hard of a 180 that FFXIV did from when it first launched, but its nice that people who give a poo poo are doing what they can with sfv

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
of course they do cyber akuma vs another marvel character, like they are ever going to do another mvc lol

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

its not at the level of how fuckin hard of a 180 that FFXIV did from when it first launched, but its nice that people who give a poo poo are doing what they can with sfv

I mean, FF14 was a gamble on a massive scale, too. To quote a video on it:

"Hey, we fixed a bunch of stuff for the new soft launch. It took us months of work and I haven't seen my wife in so long, but it's worth it."
"Yep. Now we're gonna burn it."
"What?"
"We burn it down. The servers. The storyline. The world itself. Burn it."
"But sir..."
"BURN IT"

And the funniest poo poo is that this worked, and led to the most popular MMO on the market. Absolute madness spun into gold.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, ff14 1.0 was so fundamentally broken that all they could have done was patchwork fixes on it. theyve mentioned that even the temporary additions they were doing in the leadup to arr were already pushing it to its limits. an expansion would have been basically possible, let alone multiple. burning it down was the only real option.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Still mad about the fighting game April fools cause I wanna combo juggle fash as a tater tot

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

zenos was cool in dissidia nt, its a shame how hard that game flopped outside of japanese arcades

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Endorph posted:

i mean, ff14 1.0 was so fundamentally broken that all they could have done was patchwork fixes on it. theyve mentioned that even the temporary additions they were doing in the leadup to arr were already pushing it to its limits. an expansion would have been basically possible, let alone multiple. burning it down was the only real option.

Any good writeups on the turnaround FF14 had? I did hear about how it was a disaster at launch they had to struggle to get remotely presentable, but didn't know they basically rebooted from there.

Faffel posted:

It really does seem like a big thing with productions all over lately has been basically like one rear end in a top hat with an allergy to making good decisions being a plug in the workflow.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0yQKI7Yw4 noclip made a full documentary on it with interviews with the staff, its feature length but pretty good if youre up for long videos

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Hell yeah bitches, surprise Power Rangers!

https://youtu.be/cj8S5mb3D-0

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Mortal Kombat 12 is looking pretty good.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
ffxiv is just weeb wow I don't know why it gets worshipped so much

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

BoosterDuck posted:

it does a lot to support whatever reason people play mmos.

besides pvp. still sucks at that.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

BoosterDuck posted:

I mean "WOW without the state sexual harassment case" is already a step up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BoosterDuck posted:

'weeb' here meaning 'actually has good writing'

that said as someone who loves ff14, the way people have taken the blizz stuff as a chance to preach the good word of ff14 is tacky at best and awful at worst

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

FF14 does a lot of things really well, I don't have time for MMOs any more and I have nitpicks about the art style and mechanics at the endgame, but it plays good, looks good, has a story that you can follow, and they kinda out WoW'd WoW by just taking familiar elements of the genre and doing a pretty good job with them overall.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I had to double check and make sure I’d clicked the right thread for a moment there. :psyduck:

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I mean it's wild that they secretly made another 10 Final Fight games but I guess this thread is as good as any to talk about them

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

BoosterDuck posted:

Actually good or at least fun writing instead of the joyless dreck blizz has been doing, can play any class on a single character whenever you want instead of getting totally screwed if they decide that X or Y class needs to be terrible this patch or whole expansion, regardless of what faction or race you go with everyone can still talk and do everything together instead of an idiotic forced quarantining of playerbase for stupid reasoning (An extremely important one that like every single MMO apart from WoW has learned by now), a consistent quality of aesthetic between the world and players and enemies and everything whereas WoW has some very big disparity on that often, actual laid out player and guild housing instead of the lonesome attempt they tried with garrisons, probably more but what comes to mind immediately and makes a huge difference. Don't be a dingbat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TGLT posted:

I mean it's wild that they secretly made another 10 Final Fight games but I guess this thread is as good as any to talk about them
Sounds like someone isnt counting FINAL FIGHT STREETWISE

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

FF 14 is fun and most importantly very accessible and you can make the majority of meaningful progress solo if you want to, which probably doesn’t hurt!

It does a lot right and managed to hook me, someone who is generally down on the MMO genre.

It is also not a fighting game.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

brainSnakes posted:

I had to double check and make sure I’d clicked the right thread for a moment there. :psyduck:

https://youtu.be/cuELXU0OEs4

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Yardbomb posted:

a consistent quality of aesthetic between the world and players and enemies and everything whereas WoW has some very big disparity on that

half the people I see in limsa look like melty blood drip memes or the protagonist of an isekai anime - and they just brought back the event that gives everyone Extremely Modern Real Life Sports Car from ff15

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, even the modernish outfits fit okay in the world, and the car isnt out of place in a setting with weird magitek already

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Endorph posted:

i mean, even the modernish outfits fit okay in the world, and the car isnt out of place in a setting with weird magitek already

Yep and again quality-wise was what I was saying too, everything feels about right in XIV, while in WoW if you go from any recent expansion area back into like Northrend, you're literally going back years in the graphics that have never been touched since and the disparity isn't some huge problem, but it's funny to have your updated character model man with this overdetailed armor next to literally any character there.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

darealkooky posted:

they just brought back the event that gives everyone Extremely Modern Real Life Sports Car from ff15
I loved hanging out with Tekken 7 character Noctis in my gay cat simulator

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

man nurse posted:

It's the FGC's #1 retirement home.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Yardbomb posted:

Yep and again quality-wise was what I was saying too, everything feels about right in XIV, while in WoW if you go from any recent expansion area back into like Northrend, you're literally going back years in the graphics that have never been touched since and the disparity isn't some huge problem, but it's funny to have your updated character model man with this overdetailed armor next to literally any character there.

if that's what you mean then yeah I agree completely. there are still parts of wow that are the same "this was good in 2003 beta development when we expected most of our playerbase was using 56k" graphics today and that's pretty nuts

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

I wouldn't mind an FF14 fighter, it has enough NPCs and skillsets to make a pretty varied roster with a lot of stuff you can add in for DLCs. Could even do it by expansion if you really want to milk the game for all its worth. Though I wonder if they'll make Alphinaud the announcer, or try to put our favorite failson in as a joke pick.

As for actual, real games: man, 2021 has been a banner year for fighting games. Even BftG is getting Rita Repulsa, that's amazing and might make me actually get the game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The guy they got to voice act the new Power Ranger does a pretty good impression of the original actor's voice.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

man nurse posted:

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Gologle posted:

The guy they got to voice act the new Power Ranger does a pretty good impression of the original actor's voice.

Pretty sure that's him- Johnny Yong Bosch went on from Power Rangers to have a hell of a voice acting career. Dude's been in a ton of video games and anime. Hell, the reason they have Adam beating up on red quantum ranger is because JYB is the voice of Nero from Devil May Cry, and red quantum ranger's voice actor is Vergil.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Yeah, now they just need to find someone for Rueben Langdon to voice, and we'll have all the Sparda boys in BftG

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
not really keen on seeing rueben langdon getting any more voice work

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

Late to the party and it’s an off topic but it is outstanding that so many people do not know that 2.0 was a final resort after a good amount of time spent on trying to bend 1.0 into something vaguely playable. It really feels like devs took the wrong lessons from 2.0’s comeback story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Pretty sure that's him- Johnny Yong Bosch went on from Power Rangers to have a hell of a voice acting career. Dude's been in a ton of video games and anime. Hell, the reason they have Adam beating up on red quantum ranger is because JYB is the voice of Nero from Devil May Cry, and red quantum ranger's voice actor is Vergil.

:thejoke: