Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Mordiceius posted:

Ummmmmmm. ”The darkness arrived. And Wax died.” UMMMMMMMMMM

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Finished the book. Enjoyed it. Very good. Have a lot of thoughts. Will share in the future.

I liked the 2nd book more, by a hair. But this one was very good.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is one of the things that always stuck out as weird in the Wax and Wayne books. People with money and power would know about it and how it works so if robber baron type wanted to be a Mistborn they could fund the kidnapping and murder of a bunch of people to make it happen. The only reason I can think of it not happening is because one or more of Marsh noticing and taking action since he can probably more than handle any hemalurgic Mistborn who is getting used to their new power, the Kandra acting on their own to eliminate the person, or maybe Harmony intervening and using the extremely strong connection to that person to guilt trip them until they break but that doesn't seem very harmonious.

I thought that hemalurgy is basically completely unknown outside of a very small number of people and it's hard to do because you need to know what spikes to use and where and also have Intent and you only get one try per person. It's not like there's a Big Book of Spiking that everyone can get from the library.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I thought that hemalurgy is basically completely unknown outside of a very small number of people and it's hard to do because you need to know what spikes to use and where and also have Intent and you only get one try per person. It's not like there's a Big Book of Spiking that everyone can get from the library.

That would make sense. The idea of hemalurgy may be a bit more wider spread, but the actual science of it is probably a lot less known.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
hemalurgy isn’t losses and depends how much magical power your donors has. Marsh is probably as close a perfect roll as you can get. He got the best donors the empire had to offer and the people doing it knew what they were doing. The really terrifying thing about Marsh is he has had a hundreds a years to use feruchemy and compounding.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Calidus posted:

hemalurgy isn’t losses and depends how much magical power your donors has. Marsh is probably as close a perfect roll as you can get. He got the best donors the empire had to offer and the people doing it knew what they were doing. The really terrifying thing about Marsh is he has had a hundreds a years to use feruchemy and compounding.

What I don’t understand is why the lord ruler who was a full mistborn and feruchemist wasn’t compounding gold the whole time. But also plot and yeah miles hundred lives was such a distinct character because of his compounding. It would make sense to me that Marsh would be a compounder of gold if he is that old. But then wouldn’t he regrow his eye? Meh

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

White Chocolate posted:

What I don’t understand is why the lord ruler who was a full mistborn and feruchemist wasn’t compounding gold the whole time. But also plot and yeah miles hundred lives was such a distinct character because of his compounding. It would make sense to me that Marsh would be a compounder of gold if he is that old. But then wouldn’t he regrow his eye? Meh

Well with regard to The Lord Ruler, I assumed he DID compound gold. Hence how he survived burnings and beheadings. It was the loss of age compounding that killed him.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

White Chocolate posted:

Probaby didn't regrow his eye for the same reason some wounds can't be healed on Roshar. Investiture heals new wounds, not wounds you see as part of yourself. Maybe he gets the healing spikes after the eye spikes. Or he can use gold to heal, but isn't a full compounder. Besides, they can "see" fairly well with the eye spikes so maybe it makes them powerful enough they don't want to heal it, and without the intent they can't be healed.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I read/audiobooked all of Stormlight Archive over the last year or so up until Rhythm of War came out. I just finished Warbreaker, and I guess I'm going to start working my way through the Cosmere audiobooks during my commute. Any recommendations for what I should read next?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Mistborn! Because you can then read straight through the Era 1 trilogy, and the current Era 2 books, then Secret History and your brain will explode as it connects the dots with Stormlight.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Finished up Shadows of Self finally, hell of an ending. Definitely a stronger showing than Alloy was, but it still feels a lot more pulpy than his other stuff which is something I like about the series, and it's starting to explore some of those crazy cosmic mysteries that era 1 did so well, so I'm really excited to get started on Bands of Mourning.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So I realized that I never actually read Arcanum Unbounded and was missing a huge chunk of Cosmere stuff even though some things like Kelsier being a cognative shadow and also Thaidakar, I just didn't know what happened to get there and I have to say, Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell might be my favorite thing that he is written. It is almost like a horror short story but with a Cosmere twist. Also was good to get a bit of White Sands because I haven't actually read those either.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Well…. Secret History sure is going places.

Just got to the part when Kelsier finds a castle of goddamn Elantrians.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Well…. Secret History sure is going places.

Just got to the part when Kelsier finds a castle of goddamn Elantrians.

Yeah. That was wild. Also realizing who the people who were hanging were Khriss and Nazh

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yeah. That was wild. Also realizing who the people who were hanging were Khriss and Nazh

I haven’t read Stormlight yet, so I assume they’re from that?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

I haven’t read Stormlight yet, so I assume they’re from that?

Actually no, White Sand and she is the… narrator for Arcanum Unbounded

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
For whatever reason I had remembered the outpost were not Elantrians, but people of Taldain serving an Avatar of Autonomy, possibly Trell

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

KKKLIP ART posted:

I always wondered something about them. The 17th shard people are basically immortal right? Because Demoux shows up on Roshar a long time later, and Khriss and Nazh show up in Wax and Wayne so I have to assume that like Hoid they have figured out some way to live much, much longer.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

seaborgium posted:

I always wondered something about them. The 17th shard people are basically immortal right? Because Demoux shows up on Roshar a long time later, and Khriss and Nazh show up in Wax and Wayne so I have to assume that like Hoid they have figured out some way to live much, much longer.

nothing confirmed i think, at least when it comes to the apparently-human and as-far-as-we-know uninvested ones that should be living normal lifespans.

it's possible there's some kinda time fuckery effects going on for these people travelling via cognitive realm a lot? but it's all a mystery

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Been avoiding the thread so I don't accidentally read some spoilers (almost read an Adolin spoiler and at that point I had to swear off the thread) but wanted to jump in to say I finished Words of Radiance and loving hell does the book end in the badass feverdream you hope it does. I can never tell with Sanderson if he'll pull the rug out from you like he always does or what, then I remembered that Stormlight it supposed to be 10 books long so of course he can't just go and off a bunch of people at once. Still, I'm addicted and jumped right into Edgedancer and am wondering if I should hold off on Oathbringer or read something else first since it sounds like other books tie pretty well into Stormlight. So far I've read:

Elantris (and the asian inspired novella)
Mistborn 1 through 3
Warbreaker
Way of Kings
Words of Radiance
Edgedancer (current)

Should I jump into Oathbringer or detour into something else?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Louisgod posted:

you've read pretty much everything relevant to the current stormlight books except, in a very removed way, mistborn 4-6. but you've got all the important things covered on that list

eke out fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 13, 2021

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

eke out posted:

nothing confirmed i think, at least when it comes to the apparently-human and as-far-as-we-know uninvested ones that should be living normal lifespans.

it's possible there's some kinda time fuckery effects going on for these people travelling via cognitive realm a lot? but it's all a mystery

I started digging into it and answered my own question, I knew I should have gone to the coppermind first. Apparently they all have some way to slow aging that hasn't been revealed yet. https://wob.coppermind.net/events/32-arcanum-unbounded-fort-collins-signing/#e2561 Knew I should have checked there first, someone else has already asked that question.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

seaborgium posted:

I started digging into it and answered my own question, I knew I should have gone to the coppermind first. Apparently they all have some way to slow aging that hasn't been revealed yet. https://wob.coppermind.net/events/32-arcanum-unbounded-fort-collins-signing/#e2561 Knew I should have checked there first, someone else has already asked that question.

ahhhh i thought it was just hinted at not confirmed that they were doing something

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Louisgod posted:

Been avoiding the thread so I don't accidentally read some spoilers (almost read an Adolin spoiler and at that point I had to swear off the thread) but wanted to jump in to say I finished Words of Radiance and loving hell does the book end in the badass feverdream you hope it does. I can never tell with Sanderson if he'll pull the rug out from you like he always does or what, then I remembered that Stormlight it supposed to be 10 books long so of course he can't just go and off a bunch of people at once. Still, I'm addicted and jumped right into Edgedancer and am wondering if I should hold off on Oathbringer or read something else first since it sounds like other books tie pretty well into Stormlight. So far I've read:

Elantris (and the asian inspired novella)
Mistborn 1 through 3
Warbreaker
Way of Kings
Words of Radiance
Edgedancer (current)

On level, Oathbringer is my favorite mainline Stormlight book, so I'm gonna say jump into that. If you want to go short stories, you could always do Arcanum Unbounded, which does include Emperor's Soul and Edgedancer that you can skip, but also includes some excellent short stories that are cosmere connected and fit in with what you have read so far.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Louisgod posted:

Read Oathbringer next, it's a fantastic book. Mistborn Era 2 stuff does show up in a minor way in Words of Radiance, but it's no big deal to miss it.

As for what you should read after that, there's one significant revelation in Rhythm of War that you are much more likely to understand if you've read Mistborn: Secret History. But you absolutely shouldn't read Secret History without having read the three Era 2 Mistborn books before that (Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self, Bands of Mourning). I don't know your reading pace, but the final Era 2 book comes out in November 2022, so this might work out pretty well for you. You can read Dawnshard if you run out of Mistborn books before The Lost Metal's release.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Torrannor posted:

Read Oathbringer next, it's a fantastic book. Mistborn Era 2 stuff does show up in a minor way in Words of Radiance, but it's no big deal to miss it.

As for what you should read after that, there's one significant revelation in Rhythm of War that you are much more likely to understand if you've read Mistborn: Secret History. But you absolutely shouldn't read Secret History without having read the three Era 2 Mistborn books before that (Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self, Bands of Mourning). I don't know your reading pace, but the final Era 2 book comes out in November 2022, so this might work out pretty well for you. You can read Dawnshard if you run out of Mistborn books before The Lost Metal's release.

I’m Just going to put vacation days in for November 2022 now….

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Do the audio books come out day and date or are they a bit after?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Usually same day, should be on audible 3amish EST

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
Big news on this week's update... https://youtu.be/DPFPb-1-Bvg

Tldw: the release parties/signings have gotten so big that they needed to turn them into a whole convention starting this year with Cytonic. Online passes that come with signed hardcovers are available, for only a couple bucks more than the Amazon price, plus optional add-ons such as doomslug plush.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I will continue to buy the UK editions of his skyward books because the covers are absolutely incredible compared to the milquetoast American ones.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Torrannor posted:

Excellent, thanks! My reading pace is pretty good considering work and kids and all that, though my Sanderson journey will absolutely be interrupted once book 9 of Expanse comes out in a couple months. Either way, I'll probably finish Oathbringer by then and will move to Mistborn era 2.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Mordiceius posted:

When Rhythm of War came out I bought the audiobook at midnight so I could listen to it all day until my hardcover book showed up around 4 PM which I switched to. I love me some Brando Sando.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Secret History has me all emotionally hosed up. Probably a testament to the quality of Kramer’s narration. Though he gives Spook a different accent, which kinda felt weird.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It was such a rollercoaster. Especially since it was released on the same day that Bands of Mourning was released. The 17th Shard forums understandably went gaga over it.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
You're off by a year. If SA 5 was going to come out next fall he'd have to be finishing writing it now. He's not starting until next year so it won't come out until 2023.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Writing up my thoughts on Bands of Mourning and Secret History. Their placement on the Sanderson Ranking Chart may be shocking.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Fezz posted:

You're off by a year. If SA 5 was going to come out next fall he'd have to be finishing writing it now. He's not starting until next year so it won't come out until 2023.

SA5 isn't coming out next fall, Mistborn 7 is.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Torrannor posted:

SA5 isn't coming out next fall, Mistborn 7 is.

Mistborn 7 is Nov 2022, SA5 is Nov 2023.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just finished up Bands of Mourning, pretty great! I really can't wait to see how era 2 ends and what it will mean for the cosmere as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Jorenko posted:

Big news on this week's update... https://youtu.be/DPFPb-1-Bvg

Tldw: the release parties/signings have gotten so big that they needed to turn them into a whole convention starting this year with Cytonic. Online passes that come with signed hardcovers are available, for only a couple bucks more than the Amazon price, plus optional add-ons such as doomslug plush.

This was an inevitable step, and honestly I'm more surprised it's taken this long to happen (though I'm guessing a pandemic didn't help). It's such an amazing thing for him to be able to do. What a legend!