Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

You can tell that the voice director basically was handed a list of characters that are this and that tropes, and he leaned into it super hard. See super depresso barbara instead of the cool Genki girl we had for awhile, or how almost all of the non-plot characters are their gimmick.

And then you get some people like Zhongli and Hu Tao and you're like, whoa wait what the gently caress happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah why did they gently caress up Zhongli like that

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I like Childe's VA a lot but that's partially because I really enjoyed that short period of time where he was making unhinged tiktoks of Childe mpreg or singing ed sheeran or whatever, I want more of that please

Kale
May 14, 2010

Imagine we're about 48-72 hours out from a Kokomi trailer now. I've been noticing for a while that I really need a Hydro character that isn't Barbara, but I don't think Kokomi is it since she's primarily going to be a healer too by the looks of things. In the absence of being able to get Childe and a 1/5 or so chance of pulling a Mona as a 5 star on the standard banner she's kind of looking like my only option for a while for Hydro unless I can get lucky and pull Xingiu or something who is one of the only 4 stars I've yet to acquire. I'm wondering what's supposed to sweeten the pot about her versus just sticking to Barb though and can only figure she's going to have some sort of passive that is her main perk.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

we'll probably know if they're re-running childe again before the end of the kokomi banner

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Today's fishing spot spawns green pufferfish, which is helpful if you're like me and the game's given you twice as many red ones.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah, you can just wait until beginning of October and we'll know whether Childe rerun is real. i thought Xingqiu was also in the shop currently so if you're close to reaching that threshold you could roll towards either banner this patch and buy him.

Kokomi is already looking to be a good freeze support similar to Mona in her application (deployable AOE), and she does have a DPS stance that should give her some value over Barbara. but again, playing the waiting game for her to get tested is free and easy. lots of hope is currently pinned on Ayato showing up as a hydro character as well so who knows.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Radical posted:

we'll probably know if they're re-running childe again before the end of the kokomi banner

Yes based on what I've seen Childe is the ideal Hydro character for me and super fun to play in all the trial versions of him I've been able to use so if he is getting a 2nd rerun soon then I'd honestly rather go for that as my primogem stock is only good for winning 50/50 on Kokomi and if I lose that which honestly seems pretty likely based on my track record then I'm more or less finally out of the primogems I'd been saving for the Inazuma arc since I started playing more actively in March and have a long long save up till I'm ready to go for a guaranteed 5 star again.

I've more or less finally cleared out Mondstadt (99% total exploration with all 22 world quests cleared) and Liyue (83% with all but 3 world quests cleared) now as well so my sources for more are basically close to exhausted beyond Inazuma exploration (areas outside Narukami Island which is at 79% now), daily quests, a few hangouts, welkin's blessing, achievements, and regular events.

dogsicle posted:

yeah, you can just wait until beginning of October and we'll know whether Childe rerun is real. i thought Xingqiu was also in the shop currently so if you're close to reaching that threshold you could roll towards either banner this patch and buy him.

Kokomi is already looking to be a good freeze support similar to Mona in her application (deployable AOE), and she does have a DPS stance that should give her some value over Barbara. but again, playing the waiting game for her to get tested is free and easy. lots of hope is currently pinned on Ayato showing up as a hydro character as well so who knows.

Yep, just again gonna disregard everything I hear in the first week or so of her banner where the clickbaiters are doing their usual "best/worst character ever what was Mihoyo THINKING????!!??!111?!!" routines and wait for the real non-reactionary play tested with various artifact/weapon setups and scenarios analysis cause like honestly they did it again with making a character look super aesthetically desirable to pull on and it's the element I need by far most, but perhaps not in the specific party role I'm looking for. I don't know I'm just admittedly a bit of a sucker for the whole Princess General (Hime-Shogun/姫将軍) type admittedly, which this game seemingly won't stop doing with it's Inazuma characters.

I don't know man if there's a good justification to pull for a character right in the absolute first hour or so of their banner like the majority of people seem to then I have yet to see it for myself personally anyway which makes it easy for me. By the end of their banners usually you have a much much better idea of what's coming up next and what the banner characters are actually all about so I see zero incentive to just go ham right out of the gate UNLESS you're one of those social media addicted people for whom it's of utmost pivotal importance to have the first image/video captures of you pulling the character in your group of follows and the seemingly all important first hot take on them. For purposes of keeping up appearances in social groups and whether that's important to someone that's really the only thing I can think of that justifies an out of the gate pulling bonanza.

Kale fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 14, 2021

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

If the Hu Tao rerun rumor is real I'm going to kill the Prime Geoguy until my eyes bleed. Please give me ghosts and fire damage.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I thought Kokomi's dub was fine. There's a line after you do the singular mission for her where she's like 'Oh, you should be rewarded. Hmm, I can't really promote you, I guess I can increase your salary?' where it's clear she's just kind of winging this whole military general thing.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Her story quest will be interesting if it turns out she just sorta stumbled into being a leader

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

i am mid on Kokomi but i am ready for Yae. after that, who knows...

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

drat actually running around with Eula/Raiden/Albedo/Zhongli now and uh...

Why the gently caress do Albedo and Raiden both not work on shield damage? Fighting Abyss mages is a huge pain with this team and I imagine this team can't fight Heralds/Lectors at all. Also Raiden doesn't actually work for solving puzzles needing Electro either. Don't want to add to the "Raiden is bad" bitching but I feel like they should probably fix those things.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Where's Hu Tao

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

drat actually running around with Eula/Raiden/Albedo/Zhongli now and uh...

Why the gently caress do Albedo and Raiden both not work on shield damage? Fighting Abyss mages is a huge pain with this team and I imagine this team can't fight Heralds/Lectors at all. Also Raiden doesn't actually work for solving puzzles needing Electro either. Don't want to add to the "Raiden is bad" bitching but I feel like they should probably fix those things.

Yeah, Raiden E should really proc on objects as well.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

If the Hu Tao rerun rumor is real I'm going to kill the Prime Geoguy until my eyes bleed. Please give me ghosts and fire damage.

I have to feel they're going to take a break from new characters soon after like 4 back to back banners of Inazuma characters in a row now. I'm assuming the next big dick high revenue banner they are expecting is going to be Yae Miko based on her story importance, appeal to Honkai Impact 3rd fans and her overall design (there already seems to be some sort of meme about her sideboob) , but it really doesn't need to be right away first thing after Kokomi either.

Hu Tao seems logically the first character up for a rerun who hasn't had one, it's just a matter of where they plan on putting it. It also feels like the sort of rerun they can make plenty of money off of for the bottom line, although probably not as much as Eula or Ganyu. Frankly I'm not so convinced about an Albedo rerun doing anything for literally anyone though based on how it's the only character I literally didn't know existed until I stumbled into his story quest and seems to have been the games biggest and possibly only real misfire to date by a long shot. Literally nobody talks about that guy. Xiao is another character that is due for a rerun that doesn't get a lot of chatter, but unlike Albedo he seems pretty loving awesome both in terms of his backstory (which I described to a friend as him being part of a demon hunting sentai team and now refer to him as the "Green Ranger" or "Tommy X" when joking around on Discord or Twitch) and play style. He just seems to have been overshadowed by the likes of Ganyu, Zhongli and Hu Tao in terms of post launch 5 star Liyue characters by virtue of not being an Archon or Waifu. That was the carry character for me in the Hyakunin Ikki event by a long shot as well.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
does anyone who's heard hu tao's idle song still want to roll for her

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

padijun posted:

Yes it's amazing in Mandarin.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you just learn to never idle on her or Ayaka 👍

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

padijun posted:

Is this a dub thing

fabiopenz
Jun 22, 2015
Anyone have a traveling salesman I can visit for the teapot quest?

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Tae posted:

Is this a dub thing

Is it? I don't know

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

fabiopenz posted:

Anyone have a traveling salesman I can visit for the teapot quest?

You can only do this on the weekend, check back then.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

dogsicle posted:

you just learn to never idle on her or Ayaka 👍

:byodood: A BLADE EMBRACES ITS DUTY AS A JEWEL CHERISHES THEIR GEMS :byodood:

*shink*

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
When using the Geo Traveler, are there any tips for avoiding having the enemy end up on top of your barrel thing? I've seen advice to always aim it manually but either it's hard or I'm just bad. Often the camera angle doesn't help either.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

she does the little nursery rhyme in japanese too, its incredibly annoying.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah i long ago ditched the English dub bc of the awful Xiao and battle Zhongli, the hilichurl song will eventually get grating regardless of Chinese or Japanese imo (have played both)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

padijun posted:

It's cute op

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Redmark posted:

When using the Geo Traveler, are there any tips for avoiding having the enemy end up on top of your barrel thing? I've seen advice to always aim it manually but either it's hard or I'm just bad. Often the camera angle doesn't help either.

There's really no contest between manual and auto-aim, especially if you don't want to cause any awkward positioning. You just need to do it a lot to get a feel for aiming, hitboxes, timing, etc. Pre-positioning your camera so that it's close to where you want it to end up helps.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Redmark posted:

If you hold the skill button you can manual aim and you generally wanna aim for slightly to the side of the enemy to avoid having them just stuck on top. It's a little wonky but it's not too bad to get used to.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Raiden yaks about lightning for a good 25 seconds or something if you have her out during a storm. Hu Tao's song is kinda charming though.

The solution is to just always have Klee out. Everything she says is :3:

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

dogsicle posted:

battle Zhongli

QUAKE
CRUMBLE

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I hated Hu Tao idle voices, but when they added her weather and treasure chest lines, I completely turned around :3:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Concurred posted:

QUAKE
CRUMBLE

SOLIDIFY

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Hu Tao's idle in Chinese makes me wish we could set per-character languages. I'd have her in that all the time (if I owned her)

e: the idle in English just ignores that it's a song period and treats it like a poem or something

kater
Nov 16, 2010

ninjoatse.cx posted:

You can tell that the voice director basically was handed a list of characters that are this and that tropes, and he leaned into it super hard. See super depresso barbara instead of the cool Genki girl we had for awhile, or how almost all of the non-plot characters are their gimmick.

I feel like a lot of this is also four star vs five star. Four stars seem by design more outlandish, hard takes on tropes. Fischl, yanfei, benney, why am I listing names it’s the entire crew. You can summarize them briefly and their look is the totality of their character. But five star characters get more nuance. In design, and probably in direction. Like compare Rosaria with Eula. Salaryman Spy Nun vs uh Outcast Noble Avenging Knight. That’s like 33% more words!

I unno. I just think usually you can tell a character is four star vs five star by how ridiculous they look and act. And also kokomi sorta breaks the trend.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The English va does get to me sometimes. They finally stopped using the same two people to voice every token npc with inazuma, or at least encouraged the dude to go hog wild on the voices. Kokomi was really jarring when she showed up just because it was meant to be all dramatic and I was all whaaat.

English Paimon is what keeps me. English Paimon is this game’s everything.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

English Kokomi goes in really hard on selling her as a gentle shrine maiden. It works... but it also completely undermines the other half of her character that's supposed to be a resistance leader.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

kater posted:

I feel like a lot of this is also four star vs five star. Four stars seem by design more outlandish, hard takes on tropes. Fischl, yanfei, benney, why am I listing names it’s the entire crew. You can summarize them briefly and their look is the totality of their character. But five star characters get more nuance. In design, and probably in direction. Like compare Rosaria with Eula. Salaryman Spy Nun vs uh Outcast Noble Avenging Knight. That’s like 33% more words!

I unno. I just think usually you can tell a character is four star vs five star by how ridiculous they look and act. And also kokomi sorta breaks the trend.
One of the release 5 stars is just Bruce Wayne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Kokomis english VA is interesting to me, because it feels like a slightly different direction for the character than the other Kokomi voices.
I tend to not have strong opinions on the voice acting, but I wish you could just set language on a per character basis. Being able to mix and match and just select your favourite performances would be nice.
Dainsleif is a treat in japanese, but Bennett is someone I want in english. Et cetera.

Kale posted:

Frankly I'm not so convinced about an Albedo rerun doing anything for literally anyone

I think this type of thing might be more indicative of exactly what part of the audience we end up looking at.

I always see a ton of Albedo art from draw twitter, people drawing cute little comics about him and Klee and folks also appreciated him in the brach episode and the misty dungeon event. People like his relation to Klee and despite some jank he's generally appreciated in what he brings to a team.

The audience for this game isn't only a monolith of horny teenage boys.
Granted my perspective is also distorted by the preferences of the draw fiends I pay attention to, but neither is it super insightful to scrape the bottom of the barrel and present it as the majority opinion (I have no idea what you're talking about with that supposed Yae Miko meme and I don't need to know).

I'm not going to say Albedo would sell amazingly well, but I don't think he would do much worse than the Childe rerun.