Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So the launch factions are Kislev, Cathay, and the 4 chaos gods?

Cool

That + a pre-order race which is almost certainly Ogres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I don’t think Ogres will be a preorder race. They’re big enough to headline a DLC no problem, same for chaos dwarfs.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Do they still have the lore that if they try to leave their disc it eats them?

where do they poo poo?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I don’t think Ogres will be a preorder race. They’re big enough to headline a DLC no problem, same for chaos dwarfs.

preorder races are dlc tho

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I hope they don't play Cathay too straight as reasonable / admirable / good guys. Every other faction is funny, crazy, full of assholes, or some mix of all three.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

They've already said the dragon siblings don't like eachother and are fighting for position.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Well the pre-order race for 1 was Warriors of Chaos and for 2 it was Norsca. Chaos was probably not as fleshed-out as it should have been, but Norsca is basically a full-dlc but it did re-use some existing assets. If the 3rd pre-order race isn't Ogres or Chorfs, I suppose Dogs of War could be similar to Norsca in the sense that they would re-use a lot of existing assets too.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
There will be nine starting legendary lords. Two for Kislev, two for Cathay, and one big daemon for each Chaos god. Assuming the preorder race pack isn’t included among the nine starting lords, that leaves one more. People have speculated that’ll be Be’lakor leading some kind of combined daemon faction.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

im very glad they went with the dragon emperor being a literal dragon. its a very cool angle to pursue because not much has been done with the dragons. theyre the only species, along with the dragon ogres, who pre-date the old ones and their meddling, so its neat to have powerful characters who are that extremely ancient and cool.

the dragon emperor also can call eldritch abominations from space to devastate entire geographical regions so it makes sense that he would be too powerful to be a lord. its like the one piece of cathay lore that CA didn't make up.

i think the faction looks very cool. i like the combo of chinese mythos stuff plus historical chinese inventions like flame cannons and hot air ballons.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Jumping ahead a bit, I wonder how CA will handle Nurgle's/Slaanesh's hype packages now? Since they don't really have a rival to pair them against, unless they have face off against each other.

My gut says they'll probably pair them against Ogre Kingdoms as the pre-order race.

They will absolutely pair them off against each other, IMHO. Slaneesh and Nurgle are about as opposite to each other, conceptually and design-wise, as you can get and hate each other about as much as two Chaos gods can, so I expect that the third wave of trailers/hype will be Slaneesh vs. Nurgle and be the introduction to the concept that the forces of different Chaos gods are actually as hostile to each other as they are to "Order" races.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 14, 2021

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

So the final dichotomy will be pretty boys versus gross nerds. Or, imo more accurately dance and theatre kids versus gross nerds. Wonder if it'll basically be the same trailer but perspective flipped. Then the Ogres come and eat everyone.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I think they should revamp Warriors of Chaos into the unified "splash of options from all four chaos gods" faction with their rework, maybe toss Bel'akor in as a fourth WoC LL. Don't need a fifth Chaos Undivided faction in WH3 when we have two clunkers begging for an update.

Lt. Lizard posted:

They will absolutely pair them off against each other, IMHO. Slaneesh and Nurgle are about as opposite to each other, conceptually and design-wise, as you can get and hate each other about as much as two Chaos gods can, so I expect that the third wave of trailers/hype will be Slannesh vs. Nurgle and be the introduction to the concept that the forces of different Chaos gods are actually as hostile to each other as they are to "Order" races.

I'm reminded of the rock/paper/scissors/God balance of power the elder gods had in Eternal Darkness.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Lt. Lizard posted:

They will absolutely pair them off against each other, IMHO. Slaneesh and Nurgle are about as opposite to each other, conceptually and design-wise, as you can get and hate each other about as much as two Chaos gods can, so I expect that the third wave of trailers/hype will be Slannesh vs. Nurgle and be the introduction to the concept that the forces of different Chaos gods are actually as hostile to each other as they are to "Order" races.

Ironically, Slaanesh and Nurgle actually do have opposites, and it is not eachother. Slaanesh, Chaos God/dess of Love is opposed to Khorne, God of Hate. Nurgle, God of Despair is opposed to Tzeentch, God of Hope.

This might not actually be true in Fantasy Battle, but it's always been that way in 40k at the very least.

None of the Chaos Gods like eachother very much, of course, but those line-ups have always been the two big ticket we just do not get along setups, whereas Khorne might sometimes be able to accept Tzeentchian Sorcery (for the purpose of finding skulls, blood, skulls and blood, blood and skulls, and worthy opponents), or Nurglite decay (a fighter who doesn't stop fighting is still pretty hardcore, even if it's not due to sheer rage but simple unkillability) but Slaanesh makes a mockery of war and violence by turning it into pleasure for feeling pain and giving pain, instead of the satisfaction of a good fight well fought.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Cathay looks like it's going to combine my favorite things from several factions. I might never play another faction again. They have gunpowder and artillery units like the Empire, stout lines of spearmen like Dark/High elves, giant constructs to smash things like Tomb Kings, fying cavalry like Brettonnia, flying war machines like dwarves, and big rear end dragons. Now all they need to add is Lu Bu.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

The only campaign I never made a real go at was Skaven. Mostly because gently caress Skaven, I hate them and they're icky. I think it's all the drat twitching.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Ironically, Slaanesh and Nurgle actually do have opposites, and it is not eachother. Slaanesh, Chaos God/dess of Love is opposed to Khorne, God of Hate. Nurgle, God of Despair is opposed to Tzeentch, God of Hope.

This might not actually be true in Fantasy Battle, but it's always been that way in 40k at the very least.

None of the Chaos Gods like eachother very much, of course, but those line-ups have always been the two big ticket we just do not get along setups, whereas Khorne might sometimes be able to accept Tzeentchian Sorcery (for the purpose of finding skulls, blood, skulls and blood, blood and skulls, and worthy opponents), or Nurglite decay (a fighter who doesn't stop fighting is still pretty hardcore, even if it's not due to sheer rage but simple unkillability) but Slaanesh makes a mockery of war and violence by turning it into pleasure for feeling pain and giving pain, instead of the satisfaction of a good fight well fought.

It really depends on what aspect of Chaos gods you focus on. Outside of pleasure and love, Slaneesh is also the god of excellence, mastery, perfection and the drive to be as extraordinary in your chosen field as possible. Meanwhile, outside of disease and endurance, Nurgle is also the god of contentment, all-encompassing love for life, no matter how ugly or imperfect and acceptance of what you are and not what you were or could be. Similarly, Khorne's focus on honourable combat and hatred of magic can be seen as utterly incompatible with Tzenteech and his hard-on on magic and underhanded scheming. Basically you can make the rivalry between any two Chaos gods work really easily. :shrug:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Tzeentch units already looking way more interesting than the Khorne ones. Who names their deity Khorne anyways? Worst chaos god.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Hey sometimes you just wanna smash some folks, you know? And...eat...corn, I guess.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Goddammit this entire time I was thinking of holding back on WH3 because none of the factions have a true gunline that I like playing and now Cathay is basically ranged/spear-heavy. They got me.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Lt. Lizard posted:

It really depends on what aspect of Chaos gods you focus on. Outside of pleasure and love, Slaneesh is also the god of excellence, mastery, perfection and the drive to be as extraordinary in your chosen field as possible. Meanwhile, outside of disease and endurance, Nurgle is also the god of contentment, all-encompassing love for life, no matter how ugly or imperfect and acceptance of what you are and not what you were or could be. Similarly, Khorne's focus on honourable combat and hatred of magic can be seen as utterly incompatible with Tzenteech and his hard-on on magic and underhanded scheming. Basically you can make the rivalry between any two Chaos gods work really easily. :shrug:

Yeah as I said not entirely sure on the Fantasy Battle Version. But in 40k it is definitely Khorne/Slaanesh and Nurgle/Tzeentch because their core emotional energy source is opposed. Hate vs Love, Despair vs Hope. The gods obviously all hate eachother, but the fundamental opposition heightens those matchups.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Honestly a faction where I get to line up archers behind big old pole weapons and go "your move" is kinda my thing.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
isn't that most of them

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Lord_Magmar posted:

They are less split on "portfolios", for lack of better term, than they are on the praxis of their ideology. Khorne is actually consistently the most out of step with the others, with his very straightforward and tenacious approach being at odds the most with Slaanesh and, of course, Tzeentch. Everyone else tends to have conflicts at the margins OR conflict over limited resources (followers and souls).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fine I’ll buy TWWH3 so I can play Bad Dragon

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I do hope the Cathay Dragons don't just reuse the Coatl's attack animations because they are hilariously awful.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Aurubin posted:

The only campaign I never made a real go at was Skaven. Mostly because gently caress Skaven, I hate them and they're icky. I think it's all the drat twitching.

drat. This is blowing my mind right now. Skaven is the most fun faction by a long shot, imo.

Granted, you need the Ikit DLC, but they are so much fun, especially for role play.

Fake edit: you do you. I’d never tell someone they’re playing it wrong especially for a single player game, but drat.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Gamerofthegame posted:

isn't that most of them

Most of them you checkerboard guns with your big old pole weapons, which I'm assured is very distinct

The other option is Three Thousand Skeletons

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Funnily enough, Skaven is the only race I haven't spent hardly any time playing either. I think part of it is how powerful they are and certainly the fact that my major introduction to the WH fantasy IP was through mass rat murder via Vermintide 1+2. I tried playing a little bit of Ikit Claw but stopped after 25 turns or so since I just felt too powerful already. I had something similar happen when I played Taurox too - something about being that OP from the get-go means the campaigns never felt high stakes or interesting.

Skaven are an awesome race though, really do enjoy murdering them!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Serious Jade Empire vibes from that trailer. I'm hyped.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Chaos god rivalries are thing in fantasy and 40k and have been since the Realm of Chaos books.

They all hate each other but they hate their direct opposite much more than the other two. The dichotomy has always been Khorne/Slaanesh and Tzeentch/Nurgle. Khorne has a lot of hate to go around so sometimes Tzeentch gets mentioned as well but it isnt mutual (Tzeentch has no more objection to Khorne's brutishness than he does Slaanesh's narcissism) so Khornate forces find it a lot easier to ally with Tzeentchian forces than they do with Slaaneshi forces.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Lol I predict Clan Eshin will be the preorder DLC.

:ohdear:

I’m loving everything about Cathay so far. Hope their campaign mechanics are cool too.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cracker King posted:

Lol I predict Clan Eshin will be the preorder DLC.

:ohdear:

I’m loving everything about Cathay so far. Hope their campaign mechanics are cool too.

Clan Eshin is already out though.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Lord_Magmar posted:

Slaanesh is most definitely not the god/dess of Love. Almost the opposite. They're the deity of narcissistic pleasure seeking at the expense of everything else. Nurgle is pretty much the only Chaos god that has love or benevolence of any kind incorporated into his domain.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Is that only a 40k thing? I thought all the Chaos Gods had a mix of the good and bad versions of the same emotions. Khorne is about doing bloody murders and killing and death (by murder), but he's also all about martial prowess, and honour, and sacrifice. Just as Nurgle is the God of Decay, he's also the God of Life, that kind of thing

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DaysBefore posted:

Is that only a 40k thing? I thought all the Chaos Gods had a mix of the good and bad versions of the same emotions. Khorne is about doing bloody murders and killing and death (by murder), but he's also all about martial prowess, and honour, and sacrifice. Just as Nurgle is the God of Decay, he's also the God of Life, that kind of thing

That was really old lore they've mostly moved away from into having the Chaos gods be maximum evil all the time.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Before installing the mod: "Oh no, it's Grimgrog!"

After installing the mod: "Oh yes, it's Grimgrog!" :heysexy:

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah they have good/bad things (gently caress the newer 4daEVULZ lore) but even the good aspects of Slaanesh don't really have anything to do with love. It's art, aesthetics, prowess etc.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Scott Forstall posted:

drat. This is blowing my mind right now. Skaven is the most fun faction by a long shot, imo.

Granted, you need the Ikit DLC, but they are so much fun, especially for role play.

Fake edit: you do you. I’d never tell someone they’re playing it wrong especially for a single player game, but drat.

I’m the same way as the poster you quoted except I have played multiple Skaven campaigns, enough to confirm that I strongly dislike them and I like Ikit even less. I despise Ikit for the same reason I despise Sisters of Twilight. Broke rear end power curve LLs like that that are not only extremely overpowered but being extremely overpowered involves stacking the units that involve the least actual gameplay possible? Noooo thanks.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
You could probably trace a 'desire/disgust' dichotomy between Khorne/Slaanesh which would get you closer than love and hate. Khorne as visceral primal rejection while Slaanesh is about absolute want and desire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Khorne is nihilistic self-destruction while Slaanesh is narcissistic self-absorption