Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sab669 posted:

I just meant like mirror the sensitivity in Windows. Just use that as the default in all games.

For Deathloop, what are these techno-glitch looking objects in the world? "Come back later" kinda things? I cannot interact with this, nor a book I found elsewhere...

yes you'll know what to do with them when the time comes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Huh, I didn't realize that Kingmaker was only 19.99... is it worth giving a whirl if I'm fine with how pathfinder's difficulty spikes occasionally feel like hammering nails into your dick? Or is Wrath of the Righteous straight-up just Kingmaker except better in every way?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Kingmaker is really good if its what you're looking for, im really enjoying my current playthrough,

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Omi no Kami posted:

Huh, I didn't realize that Kingmaker was only 19.99... is it worth giving a whirl if I'm fine with how pathfinder's difficulty spikes occasionally feel like hammering nails into your dick? Or is Wrath of the Righteous straight-up just Kingmaker except better in every way?

Kingmaker is a good RPG romp. There is a LOT of game there. And mods aplenty now to pretty much tailor fix any issue you have with it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Sab669 posted:

I just meant like mirror the sensitivity in Windows. Just use that as the default in all games.

u were right thats a 1x multiplier. that person seems to be confused and believes that would mean 1 "dot" would equal 1 degree within the engine, rather than one pixel on the screen

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Stux posted:

u were right thats a 1x multiplier. that person seems to be confused and believes that would mean 1 "dot" would equal 1 degree within the engine, rather than one pixel on the screen

Camera rotation isn't handled in pixels; that would cause your sensitivity to change depending on your screen resolution and field of view, and would make standardization even harder.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Triarii posted:

that would cause your sensitivity to change depending on your screen resolution

that is literally how dpi and screen resolution interact yes.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you know me, i love a mouse and keyboard debate as much as the next guy, but even for me this discussion is a little out there

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

looks fun as hell already, release this sucker

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Does anyone know who gives out the quest Tribute to the Memory in Encased? I have all these dog tags, and no one to give them to.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

That reminds me of some ancient game about riding a bicycle down a mountain, you'd get going so fast and ctash and go flying for screens. It might've been part of a version of California Games?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

That prototype looks eerily similar to my fantasy of what an actually good 3D Sonic game might look like. Big open environments where the primary challenge is maintaining high speed using a physics-based movement system, almost like skiing in Tribes. Add in the classic Sonic stuff like boost pads and springs, rolling vs running, spin dash, ramps and loop de loops, baby you've got a stew going. Maybe a homing attack as the one concession to the heavily de-emphasized combat.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

bees x1000 posted:

That reminds me of some ancient game about riding a bicycle down a mountain, you'd get going so fast and ctash and go flying for screens. It might've been part of a version of California Games?

I don’t know about mountains but in the Road Rash games if you hit a car in the oncoming lane at full speed you’d fly for quite a ways. Bonus was in at least one of the games your character wouldn’t just teleport back to your bike but would slowly jog backwards to where you crashed and this could take a minute or two of you went really far.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Speaking up again to suggest that anyone who wants to enjoy Running Fast should take a swing at Lego DC Super Villains. You can be the Reverse Flash and he goes hella fast.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Triarii posted:

I find that most games put the default sensitivity way too high, and I've gotten used to going in and dropping it by like half. Deathloop is the first game in recent memory where I actually wanted to bump it up a bit.

I don't think there's any magic value that's going to be perfect out of the box for any significant number of players so adjusting it is just part of starting the game up for the first time.

My mouse just has a button to change DPI up and down, so I never find myself needing to even go into the settings. No clue if that's actually a better way to do it but it seems to work just fine. It can also be nice to tune it on the fly on occasion

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

I think this is what Ulilililia's old mind palace game looks like in his head if you throw in a little more flight

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

This is almost exactly what I imagined an open world sonic game would be like.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

You guys would probably like Defunct: https://store.steampowered.com/app/359350/Defunct/

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

49 seconds of this poo poo and not one example of what happens if you slam headfirst into a wall smdh

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Humble released a couple more release dates. Into the Pit releases October 19th, and Unpacking releases November 2nd.

Unpacking is the game about unpacking boxes by the developers of Assault Android Cactus. You unpack boxes. That's the game. It's good.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Welp, Unpacking is a day 1 buy and my new go to gift game for people this year.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

The 7th Guest posted:

Humble released a couple more release dates. Into the Pit releases October 19th, and Unpacking releases November 2nd.

Unpacking is the game about unpacking boxes by the developers of Assault Android Cactus. You unpack boxes. That's the game. It's good.

The human race is just so loving disappointing sometimes.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
The Unpacking demo was real good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sounds neat but can I also get some pretentious British narrator scolding me on the futility of existence while I unpack?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Sounds neat but can I also get some pretentious British narrator scolding me on the futility of existence while I unpack?

no hornyposting

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

And then they make fun of the Germans for Dry Cleaning Simulator 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Stux posted:

FYI with modern mice you probably actually want to use one of the step-down options in windows. Modern sensors don't function properly below 1600-3200 DPI and you give up minor accuracy and significant latency by doing so - but at 1:1 1600 is too high desktop DPI for a lot of people and 3200 is too high for almost everyone. So you wind up wanting to use the 2:1 desktop sensitivity ratio for optimal performance, which is annoying because depending on which UI you use to set it it's a different setting (thanks Microsoft for never changing the way mouse input is handled since at least 1995).

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 15, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I liked the parts of Defunct that involved going really fast but most of the game wasn't that.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

No, none of that. One day you receive a message from a friend saying "hey, help me here, vote for my CS team" and they give you a link. You are helpful. You click on the link, it asks you to login into Steam. You don't think much of it. It opens a window mimicking the Steam login interface pretty well, so you put in your password and then your Steam auth code. And now you are hosed. Your account is compromised and starts sending similar messages to all of your friends (I know you only have two in your list, but for the purposes of my explanation here imagine you have 100).

Basically, it's a phishing attack that relies on people trying to help an e-friend of theirs. And it spreads far because most people have dozens friends. If only one of them falls for it the cycle continues.

Ah, I realized I had one more question. So once they (the hackers who created the whole scam) have access to your account, they do more than just send more of the same messages, otherwise the whole thing would be pointless right? How do they profit from it?

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I’m getting an immensely frustrating error and my normal troubleshooting isn’t working. I just straight up can’t login to Steam anymore.

I get “Connection Error: Could not connect to the steam network”. I also don’t have the option to boot in offline mode.

I’ve done everything short of a full uninstall which I’d prefer not to do. Has anyone ever run into this?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Aggro posted:

I’m getting an immensely frustrating error and my normal troubleshooting isn’t working. I just straight up can’t login to Steam anymore.

I get “Connection Error: Could not connect to the steam network”. I also don’t have the option to boot in offline mode.

I’ve done everything short of a full uninstall which I’d prefer not to do. Has anyone ever run into this?

How long have you been getting the error? It's Tuesday and they do their weekly maintenance. During which, you can't access the steam network for online play or view your friends list. If it's cause of the maintenance, give it like 20 minutes and it should reconnect.

E: It's a rolling maintenance, so it doesn't hit everyone at the same time.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Random but specific question about COH2: Is 2v2 more balanced than larger games? When I was playing I only ever did 3v3 and 4v4 and while I'm not gonna claim I ever got better than average, my general experience was that the Axis factions had an easier time of just teching and steamrolling with their superior Nazi wunderwaffe. At the time, I figured things would be more even in 1v1s, where Allied mobility would have more of an effect than in the somewhat laney larger games, but is this also the case with 2v2 at all? Torn between reinstalling it and waiting for COH3.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Phlegmish posted:

Does anyone know who gives out the quest Tribute to the Memory in Encased? I have all these dog tags, and no one to give them to.

Nothing on their Discord, just others asking the same.

Also found this on their Discord

Attribute points distribution to get every ability in the game, though some abilties also need specific skill point levels.
And its certainly not ideal if you plan on stealing or using Psi gloves

Not sure how legit it is though
Just found it posted

Also worst debuff to get before chatting or stealing

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Velocity Raptor posted:

How long have you been getting the error? It's Tuesday and they do their weekly maintenance. During which, you can't access the steam network for online play or view your friends list. If it's cause of the maintenance, give it like 20 minutes and it should reconnect.

E: It's a rolling maintenance, so it doesn't hit everyone at the same time.

Started getting it around 1:00 today.

Found an old Reddit thread with a ridiculous suggestion that actually worked. I had changed the clock on my laptop while on vacation and the timezone hadn't updated automatically. Resetting my clock and restarting Steam solved it. Would have been nice to find that solution before a 5 hour flight today, but oh well.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Play posted:

Ah, I realized I had one more question. So once they (the hackers who created the whole scam) have access to your account, they do more than just send more of the same messages, otherwise the whole thing would be pointless right? How do they profit from it?

You'd have to ask either the account thieves or those who got compromised. I assume if you have store credit or valuable tradable items it will all be gone. AFAIK, all people who recovered their account quickly don't seem to be missing anything, however, so it may be that whatever bots are in charge of the process probably have a waiting period before they attempt to steal anything. It's also possible that accounts not recovered are eventually sold in their entirety (a steam account's library sold wholesale is actually a big market in poorer areas in the world like Eastern Europe or certain Asian countries, which is also where stolen Playstation accounts tend to resurface too).

The infecting messages seem to be instantaneous, though. You can tell because as soon as one goon here gets compromised, two other goons suddenly get too.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

exquisite tea posted:

Oh gently caress I'm gonna cum sort

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Givin posted:

Welp, Unpacking is a day 1 buy and my new go to gift game for people this year.
It might also be on gamepass since it's a Humble game, I don't remember if it was shown in the Gamescom ad or not but almost everything Humble is publishing is going to Gamepass

which is funny because their games go to Gamepass well before they'll ever be in their own subscription service (Choice). like they see the writing on the wall already

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

K8.0 posted:

FYI with modern mice you probably actually want to use one of the step-down options in windows. Modern sensors don't function properly below 1600-3200 DPI and you give up minor accuracy and significant latency by doing so - but at 1:1 1600 is too high desktop DPI for a lot of people and 3200 is too high for almost everyone. So you wind up wanting to use the 2:1 desktop sensitivity ratio for optimal performance, which is annoying because depending on which UI you use to set it it's a different setting (thanks Microsoft for never changing the way mouse input is handled since at least 1995).

i find 1600 dpi at 1080p on the desktoip to be fine honestly. probably feels fast if youre a sicko whos been running 400/800 for no reason tho.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Don't think I saw it mentioned but Retroarch was finally released on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1118310/RetroArch/

Why would you need RetroArch on Steam? Remote Play Together might help with emulators that don't have native online modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Det_no posted:

Why would you need RetroArch on Steam? Remote Play Together might help with emulators that don't have native online modes.

Plus it has native Linux/SteamOS support for easy Steam Deck compatibility 👍

edit: reviews say that game saves are all working with Steam Cloud too which is super sick