Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

English Kokomi goes in really hard on selling her as a gentle shrine maiden. It works... but it also completely undermines the other half of her character that's supposed to be a resistance leader.

to be fair her main story writing also does this lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Incoherence posted:

One of the release 5 stars is just Bruce Wayne.

Yeah but he has a really impressive suit.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I think Albedo rerun would perform better than Albedo launch.

Albedo launched with Bad Geo and inbetween Ganyu and Zhongli.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

English Kokomi goes in really hard on selling her as a gentle shrine maiden. It works... but it also completely undermines the other half of her character that's supposed to be a resistance leader.

dogsicle posted:

to be fair her main story writing also does this lol

Still did a solid job keeping the army from immediately getting crushed by the Shogunate despite that somehow.

kater posted:

I think Albedo rerun would perform better than Albedo launch.

Albedo launched with Bad Geo and inbetween Ganyu and Zhongli.

They should have a vote.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Kaeya just keeps calling me a slacker :mad:

EDIT: also add Albedo to the standard banner already

Traveller fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 14, 2021

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Plz I've been waiting for a albedo rerun since I need him for my ZL team.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Alder posted:

Plz I've been waiting for a albedo rerun since I need him for my ZL team.

What if Gorou is just better in every way

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Incoherence posted:

One of the release 5 stars is just Bruce Wayne.

just drop the Arkham series Batman into Teyvat and let him beat on foreigners and the less fortunate

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tae posted:

What if Gorou is just better in every way

I'll try to get both really.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Albedo isnt super popular and i think he was released at an awkward time, but he has his fans and gameplay wise the geo buffs helped him a lot.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Albedo's usage numbers punch way above the % of people that own him, which implies that people didn't expect much from him but he's a very strong performer. In fact, out of all the characters with >50% usage, he has the lowest own rate of anyone other than Yoimiya. The analytics site has him at ~30% own but 60% use. He had no hype the first time around and he also released in between Zhongli and Ganyu which didn't help, but I think a rerun would do fine numbers since people know he's good now.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

At some point I could see them replacing the stock "standard banner" with regional variations that include the limited 5* characters for that region alongside all the existing 4*s. So you'd have a Monstadt standard banner with all the Monstadt 5* characters, a Liyue standard banner with all the Liyue 5* characters, etc. Gets around the "we won't put limited 5*s on the wanderlust invocation banner" legality while still opening the floodgates for whale spending.

Wouldn't expect to see anything like that for at least a year or two though. Gotta pump that FOMO revenue. Too bad, as I'd really like a C2 Albedo, and it's very unlikely he'd ever get a rerun with how poorly his banner performed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

eh, he'll get rerun at some point. pretty much every gacha reruns every character eventually, even ones that underperform. it's literally free money. even if the amount of free money you get is less than other characters would, it's still free money, and it means you space out the more desirable characters more, which increases how much money they make. besides, dead zones are necessary so people don't feel as squeezed for all they're worth.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Albedo was one of the first characters a bunch of people said to skip, but god drat if there's not a bunch of team comps I'd like an Albedo support for.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Buff Petra and Albedo would be an instapull for me

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I’m not sure that I would use Albedo if I pulled him. Kazuha is so good and Geo still feels a bit limiting.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

make albedo's flower invincible imo

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

when albedo came out we didn't have any of the characters that run double geo (i dont remember anyone having a good read on xiao until he was actually released, hard to remember though) and people were probably thinking about primarily running zhongli with a geo main dps or as a one off in place of venti.

im kinda curious how long before we see him get power crept, hes already eating a big nerf because of the new enemies they're adding but on the other hand we only know about two upcoming geo characters and only gorou could potentially take his spot (probably not very likely?)

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
I had a discussion with the SO the other day, and our consensus now is that Ayato's actually a NEET and that's why we haven't seen him. Probably got sucked deep into Xingqiu's light novel fandom. Ayaka's just covering for him by calling him 'busy' or whatever, but she has a family image to uphold!

Also he's got a bowl cut, kinda like Ayaka's hair.

This is now my headcanon and nothing you say can convince me otherwise!!!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Radical posted:

when albedo came out we didn't have any of the characters that run double geo (i dont remember anyone having a good read on xiao until he was actually released, hard to remember though) and people were probably thinking about primarily running zhongli with a geo main dps or as a one off in place of venti.

im kinda curious how long before we see him get power crept, hes already eating a big nerf because of the new enemies they're adding but on the other hand we only know about two upcoming geo characters and only gorou could potentially take his spot (probably not very likely?)
Albedo's weird because he's not an amazing unit but he's used for specific reasons on different teams. He'd get power creeped comp by comp rather than by a single unit. A second Xingqiu would take his spot in Hu Tao comps for example, but not Xiao comps. If geo xiangling is released for some crazy reason it could take his spot on Ningguang teams, but Xiao and Hu Tao wouldn't want her. His usage rate will for sure drop a lot if a better fourth unit for Hu Tao comes out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Speaking of the English voice acting, I felt like English Raiden Shogun does a particularly bad job with the "emotionless, authoritative" voice and she just sounds bored.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Kale posted:

Frankly I'm not so convinced about an Albedo rerun doing anything for literally anyone though

I'm praying that we don't get an Albedo rerun immediately after Kokomi because I want to try for his C2.

He's more solid than people think, but he does need a second Geo character for that resistance debuff. Zhongli is his best partner IMO—his blooms mesh well with Zhongli's pillar resonance mechanic—but very few people have both because their banners were back-to-back and had bad press at the time. He also stays off-field 90% of the time, so he's not very flashy.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Yesterday, I was on the last part of the Chi of Yore quest (with the three fragments), and the last enemy--a Ruin Hunter--just wouldn't get on the ground. I didn't have any ranged characters in my party, so I couldn't hurt it. But for some reason it wasn't attacking me; it was attacking the "mechanism" in the cavern. The mechanism was randomly summoning rocks that occasionally hit the Ruin Hunter, which was the only way it would take damage. I had sit and watch for 10 minutes before it killed itself.

Luckily I just rolled Fischl, which means I may actually have a bow user worth using.

Does the following make sense for teams:

Primary team: Noelle, Geo Traveler, Xiangling, Fischl
Secondary team: Razor, Kaeya, Barbara, (Ningguang or Sara?)

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Can confirm that Zhongli and Albedo is a really fun duo. The only issue is bosses with weird hitboxes constantly dispelling your constructs, but all the rest of the time it's fun and easy. Trapping an ogre or samurai in a stagger loop after you Construct Additional Pylons around it never gets old.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Boat Stuck posted:

Yesterday, I was on the last part of the Chi of Yore quest (with the three fragments), and the last enemy--a Ruin Hunter--just wouldn't get on the ground. I didn't have any ranged characters in my party, so I couldn't hurt it. But for some reason it wasn't attacking me; it was attacking the "mechanism" in the cavern. The mechanism randomly summoning rocks that occasionally hit the Ruin Hunter, which was the only way it could take damage. I had to stand on the side for 10 minutes before it killed itself.

Luckily I just rolled Fischl, which means I may actually have a bow user worth using.

Does the following make sense for teams:

Primary team: Noelle, Geo Traveler, Xiangling, Fischl
Secondary team: Razor, Kaeya, Barbara, (Ningguang or Sara?)
Fischl is a great pickup for your first team. Or your second team. You won't be able to use all four of your party members effectively starting out because your energy recharge will be too low so don't worry too much about your parties. You'll probably find razor more enjoyable for overworld because he can do more outside of his burst than Noelle can. Xiangling is a great unit but only when paired with another pyro (so that she can burst more often).

If you wanted to clear more abyss asap I would tentatively use:
Noelle, Geo Traveler, Xiangling, Xinyan (xinyan looks awkward but she will help feed Xiangling energy)
Razor, Kaeya, Fischl, Barbara

Your razor will probably be stronger than your Noelle at this stage of the game so I would consider crafting a Prototype Archaic for Razor and giving the pride to Noelle.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

so what am i missing with this chunk of pearls that's on the interactive map, is this some quest-related underground area i don't have bc i'm waiting for Kokomi before clearing out her island?

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

On the subject of greatsword characters, I picked up a copy of The Unforged on my way to the sweet lightning naginata. Any characters it works particularly well for? Right now I have Diluc using it, because I enjoy giving him the stupidest-looking weapons available, but a shield boosting greatsword might have good synergy with Noelle or Xinyan. Noelle is my biggest greatsword char right now, but she already has Whiteblind.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

dogsicle posted:

so what am i missing with this chunk of pearls that's on the interactive map, is this some quest-related underground area i don't have bc i'm waiting for Kokomi before clearing out her island?

in the cave that had the barrier over it

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

dogsicle posted:

Yes.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

thank you, i will continue to be a player 8 pearls poorer

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

No Wave posted:

Fischl is a great pickup for your first team. Or your second team. You won't be able to use all four of your party members effectively starting out because your energy recharge will be too low so don't worry too much about your parties. You'll probably find razor more enjoyable for overworld because he can do more outside of his burst than Noelle can. Xiangling is a great unit but only when paired with another pyro (so that she can burst more often).

If you wanted to clear more abyss asap I would tentatively use:
Noelle, Geo Traveler, Xiangling, Xinyan (xinyan looks awkward but she will help feed Xiangling energy)
Razor, Kaeya, Fischl, Barbara

Your razor will probably be stronger than your Noelle at this stage of the game so I would consider crafting a Prototype Archaic for Razor and giving the pride to Noelle.

That's really helpful, thanks.

I also rolled two The Bell claymores. People are saying it's bad. I'll give one of them to Xinyan, but still craft a Prototype Archaic for Razor?

Also someone suggested Noelle, Geo Traveler, Xiangling, and Ningguang instead of Xinyan. Is Xinyan that bad?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
As a tip for fighting Ruin Hunters, the attack where they fly up into the air and rain missiles for what seems like an eternity occurs both randomly and when their target is not at ground level. An easy way to force them to do this attack is to find a nearby ledge of any height and just plunging attack off it repeatedly to force it into the air to snipe the weak spot.

Conversely if you don't have an archer on your team, don't jump too much (or use Xiao's ult plunging attacks) or else you'll force them into the air without a good way to get them back down.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Boat Stuck posted:

That's really helpful, thanks.

I also rolled two The Bell claymores. People are saying it's bad. I'll give one of them to Xinyan, but still craft a Prototype Archaic for Razor?

Also someone suggested Noelle, Geo Traveler, Xiangling, and Ningguang instead of Xinyan. Is Xinyan that bad?
Xinyan is not very good due to a lot of weirdness in her kit that will make itself evident later on, but she's the best character you have to give Xiangling energy plus she activates pyro resonance which is nice. Ningguang doesn't do nothing in that team, I just think she's redundant with GT. Use whichever you like better etc. I haven't enjoyed my time playing Noelle+Ningguang comps but some people swear by it.

Unfortunately the bell is a weapon that was designed without an intended user so there isn't much reason to level it ever at the moment (until they finally release an HP-scaling claymore user... some day). It's the only weapon like that in the game so your future 4 stars should be more useful. There will be a very nice weapon for Xinyan coming for free in a few weeks so you can just level a 3 star if you want to use her now and then feed it.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 15, 2021

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

The Bell will end up being best-in-slot-non-5* for the inevitable hydro claymore character, just wait. I'm holding onto a few r5 copies because I want them for skin transfers that hopefully happen someday.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Interesting exploit I found for fishing: if you accidentally scare a fish away with your bait, instantly toggle the map button, wait for 10 seconds, and after toggling away the map, the fish will go for the bait.

edit: Also, the bait also uses the same timer, so if you hit the map button while a fish is eating at your bait, the fish can escape if you toggle away the map after 10 seconds.

Flair fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 15, 2021

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
This banner has been very kind to me. :neckbeard: So what role is Kokomi supposed to fill? I can get her with all the primos I saved on this banner, unless Thoma is coming soon?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

avoraciopoctules posted:

On the subject of greatsword characters, I picked up a copy of The Unforged on my way to the sweet lightning naginata. Any characters it works particularly well for? Right now I have Diluc using it, because I enjoy giving him the stupidest-looking weapons available, but a shield boosting greatsword might have good synergy with Noelle or Xinyan. Noelle is my biggest greatsword char right now, but she already has Whiteblind.
unforged is really good on diluc if you run him with a character that can pass him a shield, like diona

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Kokomi is next week, Thoma is next patch which can be anything from 28 days to 41 days from now.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Kale posted:

Literally nobody talks about that guy. Xiao is another character that is due for a rerun that doesn't get a lot of chatter, but unlike Albedo he seems pretty loving awesome both in terms of his backstory (which I described to a friend as him being part of a demon hunting sentai team and now refer to him as the "Green Ranger" or "Tommy X" when joking around on Discord or Twitch) and play style. He just seems to have been overshadowed by the likes of Ganyu, Zhongli and Hu Tao in terms of post launch 5 star Liyue characters by virtue of not being an Archon or Waifu.

In terms of whale teams, the three big carries are Ganyu, Xiao, and Hu Tao. Xiao is in the unfortunate situation of being released in between Ganyu and Hu Tao, while also being the character where they reined in the power way too much in the other direction. The waifu thing is always present, but also he's just really feast/famine with his performance and extremely dependent on abyss floors being friendly to him at non-whale levels.

Albedo is a good support, but that's it. He isn't broken, he doesn't enable some weird new amazing teams, he's just a good source of damage and geo resonance. Not a bad pull but unless you've got carries locked down you're probably saving. His release got mixed up in the whole ZL/Geo mess of the time, which isn't worth going into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people oversell the 'waifu' thing tbh, a huge chunk of the game's fanbase is women, and dude banners have done extremely well.