Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

404notfound posted:

Oh poo poo, are they really doing it? Does this mean that those Genki adapters are useless now?

The Genki adapters support all the fancy BT codecs, so they might still have an edge in quality if Nintendo only implemented the basic codecs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Haha Jesus. Never defend Nintendo. I've read so much about why they couldn't do this and then... They just do it. They could have done it anytime lol

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
holy poo poo. This will absolutely affect my game purchasing decisions. About loving time

edit: as in if I am choosing between switch and ps4 this will definitely nudge me towards switch

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Finally, I can use wireless headphones that make music games impossible to play.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's.... possible... That it was a real challenge to get the firmware to do what they wanted with no security holes and without adding an extra picosecond to the OS boot time

Their priorities are often very different from what we think they should be

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

nintendo stays winning

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Nintendo confirms, No Real Reason

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The Bloop posted:

That's kind of a reductionist way of looking at it but knowing Nintendo... Yeah, maybe

... what

there was a bluetooth radio capable of audio pairing inside the switch this whole time, yes. that's not reductive, there's no maybe.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

TheScott2K posted:

Everyone's Switch is Pro

Thread title please.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Weird, no dataminers or leakers told me this was coming

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

... what

there was a bluetooth radio capable of audio pairing inside the switch this whole time, yes. that's not reductive, there's no maybe.

Your not thinking in a way where daddy Nintendo is always doing the correct thing

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

... what

The Bloop posted:

It's.... possible... That it was a real challenge to get the firmware to do what they wanted with no security holes and without adding an extra picosecond to the OS boot time

Their priorities are often very different from what we think they should be

What's reductive is that it worked all along and just needed to be turned on

Likely, who knows

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

nintendo deftly out manuevering and sidestepping every leaker with announcements. and thats why theyre number 1

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Len posted:

I’m pretty sure people have been talking about this for years because the joy cons already use Bluetooth.

Can you give your gimmick a rest for a minute

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Len posted:

https://twitter.com/OatmealDome/status/1379934036622249989

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Popping in to say Crusi’n Blast kicks rear end. A must if you like arcade racers.

Bluetooth audio support also rules. Switch is good.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I wonder how bad the latency will be.

I can’t deal with the Mario jump sound not lining up with the jump

That being said I can’t wait to just pop my AirPods in to play games with less audio dependency

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The Bloop posted:

What's reductive is that it worked all along and just needed to be turned on

Likely, who knows

why are you doing this, exactly?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m pretty sure people have been talking about this for years because the joy cons already use Bluetooth.

Can you give your gimmick a rest for a minute

They also said "oh Nintendo won't do that because the codecs cost money"

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I can't believe I got Wario Ware, Cruis'n Blast, and a bluetooth audio chip all in the same day.

Stux posted:

nintendo stays winning

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Takoluka posted:

Finally, I can use wireless headphones that make music games impossible to play.

Hell yeah I love that latency.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Len posted:

They also said "oh Nintendo won't do that because the codecs cost money"

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/switch/accessories/bluetooth_audio.html

According to the JP site the Switch only supports SBC, the most basic and lowest quality BT audio codec

They didn't pay the license fees for the nicer codecs like AAC/AptX, so the Genki adapter is still better

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

repiv posted:

According to the JP site the Switch only supports SBC, the most basic and lowest quality BT audio codec

ouch, that means guaranteed 200ms+ latency, too.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Splatoon voicechat Squid dongle owners rise up

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have the splat dongle and I've used it but I can't wear the headphones because I have a big head

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

why are you doing this, exactly?

I answered your question.

I said it originally because the thought occurred to me and seemed worthy of discussion and this is a discussion board not an agreement board

I really don't know what kind of work goes into programming firmware to Nintendo's standards. I'm guessing a lot

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

well it nominally works.

gj nintendo.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
This is good news! Hell yeah. Good stuff!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Bulgakov posted:

well it nominally works.

gj nintendo.

The high standards on a budget

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Nintendo is loving stupid

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Some interesting limitations on that Nintendo page:

Important
  • Up to two wireless controllers can connect to a Nintendo Switch system while using Bluetooth audio. You will not be able to pair additional wireless controllers until you disconnect the Bluetooth audio device.
  • Bluetooth audio will be disconnected during local communication, such as when starting a local wireless multiplayer game.

Note
  • Only one Bluetooth audio device can be paired at a time, but up to 10 devices can be saved on a Nintendo Switch system.
  • Bluetooth microphones cannot be used.
  • You may experience audio latency depending on your Bluetooth device.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
2 controllers means one pair of joycons.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

... what

Read up on Bluetooth audio codecs and licensing a bit.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Someone Probably didn’t like the idea of giving up six controller slots, maybe someone convinced an upper manager about it I dunno

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Haha Jesus. Never defend Nintendo. I've read so much about why they couldn't do this and then... They just do it. They could have done it anytime lol

This, but adding Bluetooth headphones.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I tried it out, the audio lag is real bad.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

theyve turned it on just so everyone who complained discovers how bad bluetooth audio latency is and shuts up

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I wonder how bad the latency will be.

I can’t deal with the Mario jump sound not lining up with the jump

That being said I can’t wait to just pop my AirPods in to play games with less audio dependency

Wouldn't surprise me if it's as bad as Android.

If you want the latency for a given (reviewed) pair of phones, check Rtings.com

2019 Airpods: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/apple/airpods-2-truly-wireless-2019

It's *just* noticeable on my Powerbeats Pro using the menu to just tap back and forth between apps.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
the switch pro controller still doesn’t have a loving headphone jack

Magic Shortbus
Jul 22, 2002

This works so much better than that stupid loving Genki adapter. Its like Christmas came early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Looking through Rtings it looks like basically everything has terrible latency over the SBC codec the Switch is stuck with

Sony XM4s for example do 38ms to iOS over AAC or 60ms to Android over LDAC, but SBC is 212ms