Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I knocked out a quick 2-0 with Orzhov lifegain, so whether the event is meant to be 3 games only or not, I guess it worked out this time.

Dias posted:

Man, I'm kinda bleh on MTGA recently, I think all the metas feel kinda boring and now people are decklisting the "for fun" modes and events too, sorry for the constant whining, but I'm hoping I'm more excited for Innistrad limited. There are some cool Clerics for my Orah deck IRL and in Arena too!

Tonight and tomorrow are a great time to recharge, and there's no sense forcing it when you're not feeling it, so gl, hope Innistrad works for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
in general i think working to get over the hangup on "decklisting"/'netdecking' helps your enjoyment of the game

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

flatluigi posted:

in general i think working to get over the hangup on "decklisting"/'netdecking' helps your enjoyment of the game

I couldn't give a gently caress about that in any of the ladder formats, but for whatever reason people are just running lists in Brawl and even in the events, it's always insufferable poo poo (Golos hi), and since I'm not feeling Standard/Historic...

Sinteres posted:

Tonight and tomorrow are a great time to recharge, and there's no sense forcing it when you're not feeling it, so gl, hope Innistrad works for you.

I'm just gonna chill today, watch more drafting videos and run some drafts during the weekend.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
see, that's what i mean -- how can you even tell if someone playing a golos historic brawl deck is "decklisting" instead of just shoving the cards that make sense for that commander into their deck

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I’m fully embracing the conclusion that Historic Brawl has no MM of any kind whatsoever. Built and tuned a really fun Kumena Merfolk tribal list and had a run of Yawgmoth 4 times in a row (different players) and then five (5!) Golos in a row. I’m just rapid firing concessions all over the place trying to get to a real deck. Every Golos list feels like it’s running the same 90 cards, it’s just a big pile of Ultimatums and Time Warps and I just don’t think the match up is even fun to test.

Inferno Friendship Society continues to rock socks, even though that deck has just as high a concentration of Mythic and rares as Merfolk, my Inferno games today were against a much wider range of players.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

flatluigi posted:

see, that's what i mean -- how can you even tell if someone playing a golos historic brawl deck is "decklisting" instead of just shoving the cards that make sense for that commander into their deck

because when you're running Golos with the same strat as everyone else, whether you're a deckbuilding wizard or running a list, good chance you're still just picking T1 knowing it's T1

just play the queue for like five games dude

edit: when I get to play the game known as MTG, my Killian Aura brew is okay, still feels like it's lacking SOMETHING and I dunno if it's just that it can't compete with all the T1 decks or it's significantly undertuned.

Dias fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 15, 2021

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Dias posted:

Man, I'm kinda bleh on MTGA recently, I think all the metas feel kinda boring and now people are decklisting the "for fun" modes and events too, sorry for the constant whining, but I'm hoping I'm more excited for Innistrad limited. There are some cool Clerics for my Orah deck IRL and in Arena too!

Unfortunately, without any sort of community interaction, player chat, or hangout rooms, Magic is reduced to its elemental level: a competitive card game that kind of resembles gambling where people just want to win

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

house of the dad posted:

Unfortunately, without any sort of community interaction, player chat, or hangout rooms, Magic is reduced to its elemental level: a competitive card game that kind of resembles gambling where people just want to win

well with chat it'd be the same but people would type FUK U NETDEKCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dias posted:

I couldn't give a gently caress about that in any of the ladder formats, but for whatever reason people are just running lists in Brawl and even in the events, it's always insufferable poo poo (Golos hi), and since I'm not feeling Standard/Historic...

I'm just doing the events for free stuff before I go back to Trad Hist tho, you think I have the time to carefully sit down and build a deck for two wins?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Here’s a pretty dumb deck that actually wins sometimes

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Historic Brawl has no self-policing mechanism. Players are unable to feel any shame for their actions. If I hosted a paper commander night and someone brought Baral and a pile of counterspells, not only would it be your final invitation to commander night but I would not give you ANY of the pizza bagels I made, because look how bad of a time everyone is having and its all your fault, how could you do this

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Lone Goat posted:

well with chat it'd be the same but people would type FUK U NETDEKCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A superior experience to be sure.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I made an effort post a few days ago about playing 100 games of historic brawl.

tldr, it's it's basically a go-first aggro format. If your plan involves casting a 3+ mana commander that doesn't virtually win the game the turn you cast it, you're going to have a bad time.

Your plan needs to be extracting fast and overwhelming value off a 2-cmc commander, playing a commander that's your win condition, or playing a deck that doesn't actually need or care about its commander beyond just being a generally good 8th card.

I do think matchmaking is in place. I played half power commanders and half jank. All 10 of my Golos matches came against what I went in considering a T1 deck.

I faced 40 different commanders in 100 games. I definitely noticed a lot more off-meta matches playing "bad" decks.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I couldn't tell you what exactly makes a deck bad, though, in the eyes of the matchmaker.

If you run a Golos deck with 99 basics, you get low-power matches. If you take a full power Kinnan deck and swap in a worse commander, you get high-power games.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

My Vannifar deck frequently gets matched against both top tier decks like Golos and against jank. I'm not sure the matchmaking pool is that deep, I often get matched against the same person a couple of times in a row if I requeue immediately.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure it's on some kind of timer. If it can't find you a power-level appropriate game quickly enough you just get what's next up.

Time of day probably has a big impact on it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Huxley posted:

I couldn't tell you what exactly makes a deck bad, though, in the eyes of the matchmaker.

If you run a Golos deck with 99 basics, you get low-power matches. If you take a full power Kinnan deck and swap in a worse commander, you get high-power games.

Sounds like you gotta play 100 more games and start subbing out good cards for basics 1 for 1 until you get out of the tryhard queue

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I thought about it, honestly.

Something to do.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I’ve never been matched against Golos once

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Tom Gorman posted:

Historic Brawl has no self-policing mechanism. Players are unable to feel any shame for their actions. If I hosted a paper commander night and someone brought Baral and a pile of counterspells, not only would it be your final invitation to commander night but I would not give you ANY of the pizza bagels I made, because look how bad of a time everyone is having and its all your fault, how could you do this

On the other hand there's also zero friction on Arena to quitting out of a game against a dickhead and queuing for another. The only thing keeping you in a poo poo game is yourself.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

they really should just put all Golos and Baral in one queue and everyone else in the other. no need to ban anything, just make everyone who wants to make others miserable spend their time with each other.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I had a fun game the other day where my opponent played Professor Onyx... to get rid of my Vorinclex. :getin:

e: My favorite Arena feature is the highlighting when your opponent hovers over cards, and Vorinclex is king of creating those magical moments. In a different game somebody played a Keensight Mentor against him and I got to watch them confusedly reading all their creatures for a while until I helpfully pointed out the culprit for them.

megane fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 15, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Huxley posted:

I'm sure it's on some kind of timer. If it can't find you a power-level appropriate game quickly enough you just get what's next up.

Time of day probably has a big impact on it.
I haven't had particularly long queuetimes. Matchmaker might be struggling with my deck because it's mostly bad but actually lines up pretty well against non-interactive ramp decks like Golos.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

If I see another Speaker of the Heavens hit the board turn 1 this week I'm gonna puke, so tired of mono-W/WG lifegain. And Flashback being in Midnight Hunt means my black discard deck is gonna lose a lot of effectiveness. :(

Ah well, I'll browse the spoiled cards and see if anything catches my eye.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Posting my last iteration of my Simic Landfall deck before rotation. If I had a few more days it would get me to Mythic, but its hard to get playtime with 3 kids and a job. I think it could maybe do better in some matchups by swapping an Epiphany for a second Summoner.

https://www.mtgvault.com/wolfman101/decks/simic-landfall/

Judging by these statistics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glg7FbU5az8&t=1092s

This version is much much better against goblins (more big bodies to block with), slightly better against mono-white, and worse vs Rakdos (needs more Cyclone Summoners). This version also basically can't lose against the standard version because of Ashaya negating Summoner. I think I have only lost once to the standard version.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Are there any good takes on what Standard will look like with Midnight Hunt?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Eight-Six posted:

If I see another Speaker of the Heavens hit the board turn 1 this week I'm gonna puke, so tired of mono-W/WG lifegain. And Flashback being in Midnight Hunt means my black discard deck is gonna lose a lot of effectiveness. :(

Ah well, I'll browse the spoiled cards and see if anything catches my eye.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

megane posted:

I had a fun game the other day where my opponent played Professor Onyx... to get rid of my Vorinclex. :getin:

Lol I've had a Vorinclex on board into opponent Planeswalkers a couple times now and it's extremely funny. The mouse over stuff really does make it

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

goferchan posted:

Lol I've had a Vorinclex on board into opponent Planeswalkers a couple times now and it's extremely funny. The mouse over stuff really does make it

Historic only but Voice of Hunger is even funnier than Monstrous Raider if you have one or more counters to defend it. Shutting down someone's lands even for a turn is utterly brutal.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

goferchan posted:

the mouse-over dance is also pretty funny when you attack and your opponent confidently sets their blockers right away, but then checks your attackers to make sure that, oh wait, this isn't what should be happening, oh noooo

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

People who deliberately mouse over everything to create a strobe effect for the whole match should be banned though. I'm not even photosensitive and it can still be uncomfortable.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Sinteres posted:

People who deliberately mouse over everything to create a strobe effect for the whole match should be banned though. I'm not even photosensitive and it can still be uncomfortable.

I do this when someones picking which one of my beautiful card children to throw in the bin for me

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

its bascially impossible to tell

like if you figured it out that would make you one of the greatest mtg deckbuilding minds to ever exist

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

GrandpaPants posted:

It will look like poo poo just like every constructed format ever

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Tom Gorman posted:

If I hosted a paper commander night and someone brought Baral and a pile of counterspells, not only would it be your final invitation to commander night but I would not give you ANY of the pizza bagels I made, because look how bad of a time everyone is having and its all your fault, how could you do this

Baral is much much better in 1 on 1, in multiplayer land go doesn't get there

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Solemn Sloth posted:

I do this when someones picking which one of my beautiful card children to throw in the bin for me

There's this very in-person-MTG feeling to knowing that a card is about to be super important shortly, but not wanting to mouse over it to double check since this will remind your opponent it exists.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
davriel's offers/conditions are random, right? because if so, my opponent just got the most hilariously bad luck combo in getting the offer of returning two creatures from his graveyard to his empty hand, and then getting the condition of having to exile two cards from said hand.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

They get a chouce of three of each

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pararoid posted:

There's this very in-person-MTG feeling to knowing that a card is about to be super important shortly, but not wanting to mouse over it to double check since this will remind your opponent it exists.

Sometimes if I want to bluff counter magic I’ll cast a spell and mouse over 2-3 blue lands while it sits on the stack lol. I don’t think it’s ever worked.