Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Boatswain posted:

You can skip the apprentice ranks I think, look into the options.

I managed to sneak on through to Bronze 10, they recognized my obvious talent in surrendering immediately every single time a warlock or mage completed their quest reward and awarded me 9 star bonus! off to Diamond I go!

I'm actually curious how that was determined because I didn't think the apprentice ranks mattered so I was playing while watching NFL and balancing a bowl of nachos on my head and drinking beer out of one hand and rum out of the other... Like a bunch of times I just surrendered against quest mage as soon as the quest was played to get on to the next game.. Like I probably lost around 70% of my games the last week in apprentice.. oh well.

The free decks turned out to be incomplete versions of the meta decks, I mean maybe they were meta nearer the start of the expansion but they had some weird absences and substitutions that are clearly inferior cards.. I ended up picking the death-rattle demon hunter deck because I wanted to be special (I never was matched up with anyone playing it) and the legendaries / epics were all from this past year. Been having some good fun playing it on ladder and massaging the deck as I go, it crushes quest Warlock so that's been good fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
I am polarized on this meta. If I could ban Warlock and Mage, it might be one of my favorites. Playing against them just isn't fun, win or lose. While I haven't seen many mages around Diamond 10-5, the vast number of quest Warlocks makes it bad. Yes, I realize there are decks that can destroy them, but they're mostly not my type.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

I am polarized on this meta. If I could ban Warlock and Mage, it might be one of my favorites. Playing against them just isn't fun, win or lose. While I haven't seen many mages around Diamond 10-5, the vast number of quest Warlocks makes it bad. Yes, I realize there are decks that can destroy them, but they're mostly not my type.

If you did that I think everyone would be losing to Quest Shaman all the time

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Blasmeister posted:

If you did that I think everyone would be losing to Quest Shaman all the time

Fair. Decks I find fun don't do particularly poorly against Shaman unless they get an early Canal Slogger, which is annoying. I guess the meta is too rock-paper-scissors and if you like a type weak to particular highly-played types, it can get frustrating.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Playing Q DH - Drop Outcast Glide into endless Outcasts into 4 Irebound Brutes, Lion's Frenzy for 16 vs an empty board.

Opposing player drops Brawl, Coerce, Rusrot Viper drawn from the Glide. No, gently caress you, Hearthstone.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

Fair. Decks I find fun don't do particularly poorly against Shaman unless they get an early Canal Slogger, which is annoying. I guess the meta is too rock-paper-scissors and if you like a type weak to particular highly-played types, it can get frustrating.

I have noticed this too.. I feel like my deathrattle demon hunter destroys quest warlock, beats quest mage about half the time, and does pretty decently against any other slow decks. Shaman (which seems like 30-40% of my matchups lol) it feels like i win maybe 1 out of 10 - doesn't matter if it's quest, elemental aggro, or evolve.

There's nothing like seeing the Shaman cast that 1 mana fire spell that repeat casts if it kills and my stupid deathrattles pull my entire hand of 3 health minions out onto the field to get burnt lol.

If not for that one card I feel like I win more than i lose.. it is absolutely filthy and swings so many games

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 15, 2021

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Ok, the universe must be playing a joke on me. The worst matchup for quest warlock in wild right now is.....boar priest. You just lose to boar priest every time. This is absolutely hilarious and terrible.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I kinda feel like the Sword of a Thousand Truths' mana-wiping effect should only process if/when it hits a player directly. If you want to give it some extra oomph, make it so if it hits a minion, it processes a Flik Skyshiv effect that will kill every other type of that minion in hand, deck, or the graveyard.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I kinda feel like the Sword of a Thousand Truths' mana-wiping effect should only process if/when it hits a player directly. If you want to give it some extra oomph, make it so if it hits a minion, it processes a Flik Skyshiv effect that will kill every other type of that minion in hand, deck, or the graveyard.

I'm guessing the mana destruction is to prevent the tears of having it oozed or stolen after all that hard work.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The mana wiping feels like a bit much to me too. Maybe just make it ignore Taunts or something instead. I've won games when it's come down against me, but usually it just feels like an insta-win for them. It's like they looked at Mogu Cultist and asked "how can we make this easier AND more annoying?"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Well, the mana-wiping is just their following "canon" from the South Park episode. But that only worked when "No-Life Guy" took a direct hit from it. That's why I think it should have a Flik-style effect when you're forced to use it on a minion.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Mana wiping from the sword is fine, it absolutely should win immediately barring on the board lethal next turn.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's wrong with bgs that people are complaining about? I don't know much about it though the gap between high roll and normal seems a bit bigger.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

What's wrong with bgs that people are complaining about? I don't know much about it though the gap between high roll and normal seems a bit bigger.

there is a current optimal strategy. If you get Baron, parrot, and leap frog then you win.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

And everybody tries to force it so you have 6+ people going for beasts if they are available. Doomsayer also needs a nerf (3* minion that gives you tons of free minions)

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I've been winning a lot of BG's with poison Murlocs.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

It's still possible to win if you can snipe Rivendare before the chaining effect of the deathrattles hits critical mass. The pro way is to find a Zapp Slywick. However if Quilboars exist in the lobby it's relatively easy to get him out of regular Zapp targeting range and then you either need gold Zapp or luck because of Rat Pack making it more unlikely.

I had a game last night playing Ysera that I dominated wire-to-wire until I got down to last 2 with a Galewing that had all the combo pieces together (Rivendare was not gold, but was buffed beyond regular Zapp range). I had 35 health to his 11 and 3 rounds in a row I could not hit the Baron to save my life, getting chipped at for 12/11/11 - Baron and 1-2 rats, leaving me with 1 health. Fortunately I found a Maexxna and reborn snake to slap next to my giant dragons, and on the last round found a spore. Zapp of course only appeared at the end of the 4th round when I was unable to buy him.

Long story short, I lucked out and won with a 10% win chance. The last minion left was my Maexxna, having been smashed by the last giant rat left but reborn, because Rivendare got plinked just in time (he didn't get hit at all either of the prior 3 rounds).

If he'd managed to find a gold Baron though, I lost, no questions asked. (edit: or if he'd leveled. He stayed on T5 for the entirety of the endgame, presumably trying to discover a 2nd/3rd Baron with Galewing's middle HP and otherwise unsuccessfully donkey rolling. If he'd leveled he would have done 13/12/12, enough to kill me and not give me the last round I needed to win.)

Navaash fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 16, 2021

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

On another note I wonder if/when they're going to put any of the removed heroes back in as-is or with reworks. Every other hero that had been removed previously has come back as they are now.

As a reminder to save the trouble of looking them up:

Bartendotron: [passive] -1 cost to tavern tiers
Giantfin: [1] all minions gain "summon a 1/1 loc" DR
Nefarian: [1] basically trigger Unstable Ghoul's DR at start of combat
Putricide: [1] target minion gets +10 attack for next combat only
Sylvanas: [0] mulch minion, adjacent minions get +1/+1
Tirion: [1] give all tribeless minions +1/+1

My quick opinions: Bartendotron's ability almost seems quaint when heroes like Omu exist and seems most likely to avoid a rework. Giantfin's is just awful in the modern game. Nefarian hard counters every DS strat on his own and would likely need a rework to make him unique (say, like Akamzarak and his use of secrets - get a spell based on the hero you're facing). Putricide's is generally too powerful with cleaves. Sylvanas is :lol: considering Mutanus exists. Tirion's would probably still be too overpowered since he could get stuff like Baron out of Zapp range in games without quilboars and also boost taunt comps effortlessly.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I am so god drat tired of dealing with the best in show and quest bullshit at bronze and silver. I just want to get my quest for 5 "traditional ranked" wins so I can canoodle in the other modes I like slightly more, but still get bulldozed in.

I truly, sincerely, hate these quests. I don't care if they're not as good at higher ranks.

Yestermoment fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Sep 16, 2021

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Acerbatus posted:

What's wrong with bgs that people are complaining about?
The mechanics around minions taking damage and then gaining health have always been scuffed but now they're especially bad imo and not just because of frog&macaw

I had an opponent with a taunted dragon, arm of the empire and the lady that gives health to dragons when they get attack. My minions attacked the taunt, which made it gain attack, then it took the damage but didn't die because THEN the dragon lady effect kicked in and brought it back to life. This one interaction made my whole board kill itself on the taunted dragon. Haven't played again since then and probably won't without changes

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yestermoment posted:

I am so god drat tired of dealing with the best in show and quest bullshit at bronze and silver. I just want to get my quest for 5 "traditional ranked" wins so I can canoodle in the other modes I like slightly more, but still get bulldozed in.

I truly, sincerely, hate these quests. I don't care if they're not as good at higher ranks.

Yeah, being stuck with MMR matching instead of rank matching until you clear your bonus stars means you're pretty much always against people trying to climb even if you're messing around at a rank floor or w/e.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
A bright spot among frog garbage, TFW your Hero Power switches to Al’Akir and gives your Tarecgosa permanent divine shield and windfury, and then next turn switches to the stat-swapping power.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Elysium posted:

A bright spot among frog garbage,
And a couple of straight glorious No Beasts games!

(Why yes, I am hanging out at sub 4k rating again; why do you ask?)

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Meanwhile I can't win a 91%/5%/4% odds round or survive a 3% lethal after 10+ losses, because I haven't had enough bad luck.

Edit: Yep, just lost a 2.7%.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 16, 2021

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/PlayHearthstone/status/1438596198009614337

Man if they buff Breeder...watch out, rat hunter is actually not that far off

https://twitter.com/GW_Alec/status/1438602582943928365

The redesign is Illucia

Firebert fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 16, 2021

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Assuming bans are wild only, it could be the Questline itself or maybe Crystallizer

Priest questline has like a 5% chance of being redesigned, with the 95% chance going to Illucia

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Crystallizer is the problem in Wild, but they could just delete quest too to future proof

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The Battlegrounds changes have been datamined already

https://outof.cards/hearthstone/3624-datamined-changes-coming-in-hearthstones-next-battlegrounds-update-leapfrogger-nerfed

Bunch of changes but the big ones are Leapfrogger buff to +1/+1, Parrot can’t activate itself, Rattler to 5, Doomsayer to 4 and Avenge to 4, Whelp Smuggler only gives 1 health.

Outofcards also has a bunch of Mercenaries stuff, including all the heroes. Sadly Diablo is the only non-Warcraft hero at launch.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Ughhhhhhh. I hate boar priest in wild so much. Even if you can survive 3 hits from the stupid sword they can just resurrect another pig and make more swords.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Man, Illucia is so fun, it’ll be a shame if she gets redesigned because it’s “””unfair””” to quests

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Man, Illucia is so fun, it’ll be a shame if she gets redesigned because it’s “””unfair””” to quests

No shame, because it has almost nothing to do with being unfair to quests, it has everything to do right now with being a 3-mana Time Walk.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

AnacondaHL posted:

No shame, because it has almost nothing to do with being unfair to quests, it has everything to do right now with being a 3-mana Time Walk.

“Time walk?” Can you elaborate more on this?

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Adregan posted:

Time Walk is a famously undercosted card in Magic: the Gathering that allows you to immediately take another turn after your current turn. Open the Waygate has a steep condition before you even can receive the card with that effect so it's not quite in the same league.

Basically, if you dump your entire hand than play Illucia, your opponent basically has a dead turn (unless what they draw out of your deck is lucky enough to lethal you), which with the exception of bumping minions is figuratively the same effect as Time Walk.

Funny thing is that the original wording of Time Walk during pre-release playtesting is "Target opponent loses next turn.", but was changed when the designers realized the playtesters were reading it as "pay 2 mana, win the game".

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Adregan posted:

my b, I'm old. The card referenced in Hearthstone is Time Warp:

Time Warp is the 5-mana modern version of Time Walk, which was the same thing but 2-mana because no one knew any better in 1993.

At 3-mana with no setup required other than Draw The Card, Illucia in Shadowpriest is effectively doing the same thing as this card.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Yeah to be clear this is a basically a new dynamic with the aggro priest, obviously before Illucia was used much more a control tool to dump the opponent's best cards.. It required timing and game knowledge. Top players I've watched using that aggro priest deck are keeping Illucia to dump their hand onto the board asap to get a huge advantage on board and then give their opponent a empty hand for their 4 or 5 mana turn, it's basically a free win with that board state cause your opponent wastes a critical turn.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Here is a high-roll example of just how devastating this can be. This is why you snap keep Illucia in the mulligan:

https://hsreplay.net/replay/vc4cHwPRbnXuUH2wwKxEZ4

Warlock opponent has a perfectly fine curve, even has Soul Rend ready to go, and is dead on turn 3.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

Here is a high-roll example of just how devastating this can be. This is why you snap keep Illucia in the mulligan:

https://hsreplay.net/replay/vc4cHwPRbnXuUH2wwKxEZ4

Warlock opponent has a perfectly fine curve, even has Soul Rend ready to go, and is dead on turn 3.

it took me a real long time to parse where the 4 damage to your face and 4 healing to the opponent's on turn 3 came from

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

I'd always viewed Illucia's purpose as either playing your opponent's best cards in control or refilling your hand later in aggro. Hadn't thought of using it as a time warp, nor have I had it used against me as such that I can recall.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RatHat posted:

The Battlegrounds changes have been datamined already

https://outof.cards/hearthstone/3624-datamined-changes-coming-in-hearthstones-next-battlegrounds-update-leapfrogger-nerfed

Bunch of changes but the big ones are Leapfrogger buff to +1/+1, Parrot can’t activate itself, Rattler to 5, Doomsayer to 4 and Avenge to 4, Whelp Smuggler only gives 1 health.

Outofcards also has a bunch of Mercenaries stuff, including all the heroes. Sadly Diablo is the only non-Warcraft hero at launch.

I'm holding out for Sasuke.

Did they change the stats of a BG minion they're removing lol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Acerbatus posted:

I'm holding out for Sasuke.

Did they change the stats of a BG minion they're removing lol?

Under Defiant Shipwright? Nah Defiant Shipwright doesn't have 4 attack. If it isn't a mistake then it must be for Charlga since that's the only 4 attack minion listed that doesn't have a stat change listed.

EDIT: Apparently golden Defiant Shipwright was 4/8 instead of 6/8 for some reason. I guess they're fixing it for if it comes back in the future.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 17, 2021