Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Finnegan has ended up less useful than I expected with the long drought between +1 and further upgrades.

I wish you could just melt magic weapons down into other types or something. There's such an absurd number of specific weapon types it's rare you ever find something anyone can use. It makes the looting side more underwhelming

Of course just going Pillars style on weapon feats would solve this bah

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mordecai posted:

I got stuck and was really worried about a bricked save for an hour. Kinda obvious spoilers about Camellia in this thread, but PSA: avoid looting her amulet if she should permanently die, for now.

A patch introducing new game-breaking bugs - WotR now has truly become Kingmaker's successor.

I've now seen the game freeze and go non-responsive 4 times in a row when trying to level up characters to level 3 at Defender's Heart. When the level up menu comes up the frame rate also goes nuts like I'm maxing out my GPU.

Like, drat I know this game is a work in progress but this is like they took out a wall while trying to finish building a house.

edit: Yep, just tried it 2x more, when I level Lann from 2-3 and hit finish the menu drops me back to the screen and freezes completely. Happens every time.

That thread has a lot of other people talking about similar companions being completely bugged too. Looks like this latest patch hosed something up hard.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 15, 2021

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

44 hours in and I’m finally done with Drezen. I feel like I’ve played an entire good RPG so far so it’s kinda nuts that I’ve sort of only just begun one. I think I’ve finally settled on me (skald/azata), Seelah, Lann, Sosiel, Aru and Ember for my main party.

Also feel like I’ve kind of been dancing between the raindrops because a few failed charges are still the worst bugs I’ve encountered so far.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Anno posted:

44 hours in and I’m finally done with Drezen. I feel like I’ve played an entire good RPG so far so it’s kinda nuts that I’ve sort of only just begun one. I think I’ve finally settled on me (skald/azata), Seelah, Lann, Sosiel, Aru and Ember for my main party.

Also feel like I’ve kind of been dancing between the raindrops because a few failed charges are still the worst bugs I’ve encountered so far.

The first two acts are actually pretty stable, so as long as you didn't pick one of the small number of archetypes with bugged features (to my knowledge, the Judge's Sentence ability still doesn't work), there's not really any major bugs to run into outside of the issues with charging. You'll start seeing more and more bugs as you progress.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

FuzzySlippers posted:

Finnegan has ended up less useful than I expected with the long drought between +1 and further upgrades.

I wish you could just melt magic weapons down into other types or something. There's such an absurd number of specific weapon types it's rare you ever find something anyone can use. It makes the looting side more underwhelming

Of course just going Pillars style on weapon feats would solve this bah

I really want one of these games for once to break weapons into just a few large categories. Let me take Weapon Focus - Bladed or Weapon Focus - Finesse or Weapon Focus - Reach or whatever so all this loot doesn't go to waste :(

e: Oh that is exactly how Pillars does it which you mentioned :doh:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

deep dish peat moss posted:

I really want one of these games for once to break weapons into just a few large categories. Let me take Weapon Focus - Bladed or Weapon Focus - Finesse or Weapon Focus - Reach or whatever

Yeah, I still don't even know why half these weapons exist. Like its got to take a bunch of time to model and create Tridents, Starknives, Fauchards etc and then have them never used by anyone, ever because they both cost a feat and you aren't showered in cool unique ones like you are for a ton of the most common weapon types.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Caidin posted:

My main problem with Azata in the late game is now I have these big rear end fairy wings on my fox I can't turn off and I'm already fighting an uphill battle to not look like the tackiest motherfucker.

Congratulations, you've upgraded your fursona into a full blown Sparkle Dog!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The oddest thing with the magic weapons is that there's a few really obscure types that have a huge number of very good weapons floating around. Like, I don't think I've ever even heard of someone at tabletop take a Sling Staff (besides Kender from Dragonlance), but there's multiple ones with incredibly good riders floating around the early game - same with Estocs.

That Italian Guy posted:

It's not our warcamp (even if it has the same icon)! It's a drow ambush.

Unless they've changed it in the recent patch, this was just you hitting that encounter at an odd time. In multiple playthroughs of that section, that has always been a random encounter on the road for me - no icon. The encounter probably just popped right before you hit your actual camp.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

I really want one of these games for once to break weapons into just a few large categories. Let me take Weapon Focus - Bladed or Weapon Focus - Finesse or Weapon Focus - Reach or whatever so all this loot doesn't go to waste :(

e: Oh that is exactly how Pillars does it which you mentioned :doh:

I was looking at the other mods while I was updating toybox and theres one I saw that does basically that but it also hasn't been updated since March so gently caress knows it's functional now.

https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderwrathoftherighteous/mods/7

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Kingmaker question - the bag of tricks setting to replenish consumables, does that replenish from inventory (which I want) or does it create entirely new scrolls/potions to replace what you've used?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
For the amount of serious, permanent debuffs enemies can land on you there really, really needs to be a "pay for cure" healer feature in every base location with a CL of 50.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

pentyne posted:

For the amount of serious, permanent debuffs enemies can land on you there really, really needs to be a "pay for cure" healer feature in every base location with a CL of 50.

This literally exists? That's what the clerics at your base are.

You buy scrolls and they 'cast' them for you when you're in your base (it uses their stats) for all the permanent debuffs and issues.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Earlier in this thread I read that Chapter 5... removes most of your crusade army and replaces them with path-specific units? Is that true, and does it affect all unit types? I just wanna know if I shouldn't be spending gold on resources buying these Clerics/Hellknights now, if they're gonna be wiped out to 0 later regardless.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

blizzardvizard posted:

Earlier in this thread I read that Chapter 5... removes most of your crusade army and replaces them with path-specific units? Is that true, and does it affect all unit types? I just wanna know if I shouldn't be spending gold on resources buying these Clerics/Hellknights now, if they're gonna be wiped out to 0 later regardless.

I mean I can confirm it does for Azata. It gets rid of all your armies and gives you a pittance of some path specific troops.

Save your gold for now probably. On the other hand Chapter 4 and 5 shower you in so much gold you can pretty much do whatever you want with the chump change you can get in Chapters 1-3 and it won't make a difference. Its pretty insane how much money you get when enemies are dropping +3 equipment baseline.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 15, 2021

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

blizzardvizard posted:

At the end of chapter 3, an NPC takes command of your armies while you are doing something else important. They do an awful job and by the time you get back in chapter 5 your armies have been wiped out.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Caidin posted:

I was looking at the other mods while I was updating toybox and theres one I saw that does basically that but it also hasn't been updated since March so gently caress knows it's functional now.

https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderwrathoftherighteous/mods/7

That mod's pretty neat-looking (assuming it works, I may try it out whenever I get to a second playthrough), but I'd fold unarmed strike into the "Monk" category, and make additional categories for Natural Weapons and Magic (Touch, Ray, and Kinetic Blast), as well as have some groups overlap a bit (a rapier could be considered a light or a heavy blade, depending on how you judge what counts as "light", and while a scythe is a blade, it's also a polearm, etc.). Since it claims to be customizable, I'll likely fiddle with it to do just that.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

There are comments on the mod from September saying it works, so assuming the most recent patches haven't broken it, it seems to.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So like, are the majority of Glabrezu, the big guys with crab claws, you fight supposed to drop a scroll of Firestorm and a scroll of Tsunami each? Giving Nenio the occasional Kamehameha to launch is fun but weird.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I finally killed Playful Darkness on Core difficulty (after a half hour of attempts) by unloading on her with a maximally-buffed Lann while spamming chain lighting and disintegrate with Nenio to kill her guards and nonstop healing spam on Seelah from my paladin PC and Sosiel.

She gave me 52k experience, or half a level up. Some nice weapons, too.

She was doing hundreds of damage per round on Seelah. If Seelah didn't have the ring that heals her and summons skeletons on death + diehard + that mythic feat that gives two rounds of invincibility, she would have been mulched instantly.

I'm torn. On one hand, it's undoubtedly satisfying to see her finally go down (I let my guys wail on her for a bit before using coup de grace). On the other, I've always held there's a difference between legitimately challenging fights in games and ones that are just cheap, and Playful Darkness was the first optional boss I've fought so far that seemed the latter.

Are there ones as hard in chapter 4 and onwards?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

What cosmetic changes are there in the different paths?

Angel as of act 3 I just had a halo. Aeon I have these cool swirly black holes and galaxies although I periodically need to unequip and re-equip my armour to make them show.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

William Bear posted:

I finally killed Playful Darkness on Core difficulty (after a half hour of attempts) by unloading on her with a maximally-buffed Lann while spamming chain lighting and disintegrate with Nenio to kill her guards and nonstop healing spam on Seelah from my paladin PC and Sosiel.

She was doing hundreds of damage per round on Seelah. If Seelah didn't have the ring that heals her and summons skeletons on death + diehard + that mythic feat that gives two rounds of invincibility, she would have been mulched instantly.

I'm torn. On one hand, it's undoubtedly satisfying to see her finally go down (I let my guys wail on her for a bit before using coup de grace). On the other, I've always held there's a difference between legitimately challenging fights in games and ones that are just cheap, and Playful Darkness was the first optional boss I've fought so far that seemed the latter.

The one in Chapter 4 is an absolute bastard yeah. Not as crazy in raw stats but it gets a second life, adds a bunch of backup halfway through the fight and has some nasty spells. Bring someone with Dispel magic.

Also to get to it you need mass dimension door so make sure you have that while wandering around in Chapter 4. There are a frustrating number of things in Chapter 4 gated behind dimension door.

There's also a second optional super boss in Chapter 4 that's a lot more tame.

quote:

What cosmetic changes are there in the different paths?

Angel as of act 3 I just had a halo. Aeon I have these cool swirly black holes and galaxies although I periodically need to unequip and re-equip my armour to make them show.

Azata grow fairy wings in Act 5.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 15, 2021

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Man, the shortcut UI system is really annoying because it maps to spell slots and not to the spells themselves. It's kinda dumb.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Caidin posted:

My main problem with Azata in the late game is now I have these big rear end fairy wings on my fox I can't turn off and I'm already fighting an uphill battle to not look like the tackiest motherfucker.

Be in human form and get 12 stats for free

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

William Bear posted:

Playful Darkness is pretty horseshit yeah. Destructive Shockwave on Regill with Smite Chaos is pretty effective for burning her down though, while you bury her in disposable Animate Dead summons from Daeran.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Caidin posted:

So like, are the majority of Glabrezu, the big guys with crab claws, you fight supposed to drop a scroll of Firestorm and a scroll of Tsunami each? Giving Nenio the occasional Kamehameha to launch is fun but weird.

The short answer is yes. The long answer is, they're technically the same glabrezu. Sandbox-y CRPGs like Pathfinder obviously can't make every single instance of any given creature unique, and thus most enemies you encounter will be premade to some degree. So outside of certain special, scripted encounters, the glabrezu you fight are all based on a single definition, up to and including the scrolls they can drop. Though it is pretty wild that they just drop ninth-level spell scrolls right into your lap.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Tabletops posted:

Be in human form and get 12 stats for free

Can... can you explain that?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Caidin posted:

I lied about it being free, but master shapeshifter (mythic ability available at mythic 1) gives +4 to physical stats when you’re morphed and kitsunes human form counts as morphed for it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Caidin posted:

There's a feat (not sure if mythic) that gives +4 to 3 stats when polymorphed. kitsune in human form count

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Anyone have any suggestions for a good reach-weapon based build?

I’ve been playing a Reformed Fiend Bloodrager with Abyssal bloodline, and I’m at level 5 with my first Mythic level; I’ve taken Endless Rage, and so now in combat I’m permanently Large with Great Cleave and +1 hit/damage to Evil and I pretty much wander into groups and chum them.

But reading everyone talk about how things scale at later levels I want to stay ahead, and it feels like I’ve got most of what I wanted from the class - what other classes are good support/interesting options for reach weapons?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Is there any advantage to staying in Kitsune form beyond having a bite attack? I mean, I assume the form-switching was added mostly for roleplaying purposes, anyway (that's why it's there in the tabletop version), so I'm guessing there is not.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

Is there any advantage to staying in Kitsune form beyond having a bite attack? I mean, I assume the form-switching was added mostly for roleplaying purposes, anyway (that's why it's there in the tabletop version), so I'm guessing there is not.

Bite attacks are pretty good and stack in this game. I think you can get like 4 of them which is pretty funny.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

EclecticTastes posted:

They can take a feat to gain pounce in furry form at BAB 10. Seems kinda required for any serious attempt at a Cavalier build. The only other way to get pounce afaik is being in rage having all three Beast Totem rage powers.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Well I got to a show-stopper bug:

Audience with Noctulia she doesn't appear so can't progress and it sounds like an issue that got introduced with a recent patch?

So I guess much like Kingmaker at about the same spot with a game breaker I have to table it and wait for them to fix it... Which is a shame since I was finding this much more polished than Kingmaker.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Atarask posted:

Well I got to a show-stopper bug:

Audience with Noctulia she doesn't appear so can't progress and it sounds like an issue that got introduced with a recent patch?

So I guess much like Kingmaker at about the same spot with a game breaker I have to table it and wait for them to fix it... Which is a shame since I was finding this much more polished than Kingmaker.

Yeah, the bug was introduced with the most recent patch, it's been mentioned a few times today. Hopefully they'll have a hotfix out within a day or two, unless they really broke something.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Mercrom posted:

They can take a feat to gain pounce in furry form at BAB 10. Seems kinda required for any serious attempt at a Cavalier build. The only other way to get pounce afaik is being in rage having all three Beast Totem rage powers.

Skald is supposed to be able to give out rage powers, including the Beast Totems, so that would be the other way that doesnt require taking 12 levels of Barbarian or a specific race but last I heard that's not working right now.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Latest patch introduced more bugs than it fixed for me. Goofy offscreen cape effects, the level up freezing annoyance, and it won't be long until my 2nd game proceeds into act 4...

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Are there any good fauchards in this game or is it glaives all the way for reach weapons

Yeah I definitely feel like the sheer number of unique glaives, along with the fact that you get a book in act1 that gives +1 hit AND damage with them cries out for a good glaive build to bubble up from somewheres.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

EclecticTastes posted:

I noticed that, myself, as I was staring wistfully at my pile of dope-rear end greatswords, greataxes, and earth breakers. That was the main reason I was looking forward to Trever, but t'was not meant to be.

You know, it's weird that Temple of Elemental Evil and Neverwinter Nights 2 (possibly just Storm of Zehir?) had manual weapon crafting a decade and a half ago, but the Pathfinder games don't, despite clearly having all the enchantment keywords programmed in (well, most of them; I don't think some of the more esoteric ones like Sizing or Impact made the cut). Like, they do make sure to make at least a couple cool weapons for each weapon type, but there's always some pretty clear favoritism towards certain weapons, and it'd be nice if fans of more niche weapons could just make their own :krad: endgame gear.

It was already in base NWN2, Zehir only streamlined the process (though I forget how exactly - I think they got rid of the silly elemental essences bullshit which used to take entire inventory pages but I wouldn't bet my left nut on that fact). I know because my first character in NWN2 was some monk/paladin/bard/dragon disciple abomination who dual wielded +5 adamantine kamas, one flaming one acid. They were named Love and Peace respectively, for obvious reasons.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I don’t understand why everyone is saying to use Ember for evil eye and cackle. 1 round of -2 AC and ember had to do nothing but cackle for the rest of the fight because everyone makes their saving throw ? What am I missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

SettingSun posted:

Latest patch introduced more bugs than it fixed for me. Goofy offscreen cape effects, the level up freezing annoyance, and it won't be long until my 2nd game proceeds into act 4...

I also saw a fun dumb thing happen in act 1 : during your escape from the Gray Garrison in the beginning, in the big fight on the balcony with the orc paladin lady & co and the two big groups of cultists, Aribeth (I know that's not her name but I can't remember it right now) and Staunton murder the poo poo out of their own guys now, while the guy who's scripted to turn traitor stays in the friendly group and gets AoOs on the rest of the cultists shooting at Aribeth.

Kind of anxious to see if that will also be the case for the tavern defence.