Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favourite number
This poll is closed.
835 3 2.29%
2 14 10.69%
3,400,981 17 12.98%
11 19 14.50%
21 13 9.92%
7070 12 9.16%
58008 53 40.46%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Zil posted:

What is delay, if not development persevering?

the day that everyone in twitter was talking about that was a complete waste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I feel like it wont be SMTV because they sped up the amount of demons they're showing off, which is not a thing you do if your game is about to be delayed

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mix. posted:

I feel like it wont be SMTV because they sped up the amount of demons they're showing off, which is not a thing you do if your game is about to be delayed

oh i keep missing those videos because they're japan-only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCOmmVuZD5o

edit: *joker voice* hua po!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHG6vdNCvkE

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 15, 2021

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

im a big fan of the new werewolf demon who's also french

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyq7gxsy1U8

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Cathedral of Shadows looks so cool, that organ

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bring back mido

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they're delaying pokemon to redo the sonic model. also sonic is in the new pokemon

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

more delays this week NEXT week

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

oddium posted:

they're delaying pokemon to redo the sonic model. also sonic is in the new pokemon

What’s Sonic’s type? Besides traumatized princesses of course

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tim Rogers cyberpunk review delayed another month...

Edit:
https://twitter.com/iantothemax/status/1437963780542005253

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

No looping for me tonight.... I'll have to go through a whole day of work :negative:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Seriously though anyone who hasn't played Starsiege should do it. You might be more familiar with the spinoff series it birthed set in the same universe, Starsiege: Tribes - but personally, I think the original is just such a better game, even if Tribes is really fun. It itself was the sequel to the Earthsiege games, and the Cyberstorm games were also set in the same universe.

And the studio has since released the game for free!

Mechanically, it's a mech game, although it is (personally speaking) vastly superior to the Mechwarrior games. Choose a chassis, customize with a variety of weapons, mostly choosing between bullets, explosives, directed energy, "blink" weapons that bypass shields, and radiation weapons that attack enemy pilots directly (assuming they are flesh pilots). Secondary equipment like cloaking or laser marker tools for artillery support or shield modulators to let you focus your shields in a particular direction. Missions often have multiple objectives and a variety of surprises.

Chassis include classic two legged mechs of clunky variety and sleek and quick variety, plus hover vehicles, and my favorite, the tank. There's nothing quite so satisfying as entering a battlefield full of fancy mechs with a tank that has a turbo booster and a ram at the front and just plowing through those pathetic legs. Oh yeah, that reminds me - all damage is locational, so concentrating fire is really important. Sometimes against hardened enemies, your priority targets will be trying to damage their exposed weapons to limit their offensive capacity before laying on the pain against a part that will destroy them.

And you don't just customize your own mech - you've eventually got a whole squad you can form with hand picked pilots of various sorts, and if they die on a mission they are straight up dead, so if you like them try and keep them alive.

The real draw is the two-part campaign. Humanity is rebuilding from a war with a group of human created machine intelligences called the cybrid. They won that war, and no one has seen any sign of the cybrid for two centuries. As earth rebuilds, they do it by heavily exploiting the offworld colonies as part of their Earth First policies, and in the first campaign you play as a martian that has joined the a small scale rebellion against the Imperial forces under the emperor after the local miners discover a hidden cache of alien weaponry and manage to get some of it working, basically strapping advanced alien plasma technology to their mining HERCs.

You get a sense of the story not just through the missions, but through the constant news ticker that is... well it's basically twitter, actually, imagined from the mid-1990s, including hackers hijacking "official" accounts. It's got a number of memorable accounts talking about whats happening in other places and making the universe feel more alive than in most games from the era, and even many games from today. And what you learn from them is that poo poo is hitting the fan in more ways than one. Yes, the outer colonies are all getting in on this active rebellion thanks to your progress, but there's also scarier stuff going on as footnotes until it happens - someone dies, and during the autopsy they learn that someone was not just the skin they were wearing.

The cybrid still exist, somewhere out at the edges of the solar system, and have apparently been quite busy even as they've stayed below the radar. They built many cybrid minds, and one of their newer strategies has been to cut the brains out of humans and replace them with a cybrid infiltrator brains. The whole of humanity has been compromised, and the Cybrid see the civil war as an opportunity to start taking risks and eventually launch an all out offensive, causing the warring factions to join forces even as humanity is once again brought to the brink of destruction.

The second campaign has you playing as the Cybrid, and things become... a lot more complicated. Simple beings these artificial intelligences are not, and during their centuries of isolation they've been built for a variety of specialized roles, and then grown and learned and changed. While they don't think like humans, they have not escaped factionalism, and even as you wage war on the apes that threaten the existence of your species you must also deal with internal dissent, as the cybrid forces have split into those who want to wage a war of total annihilation and a faction that has decided that actually developed some kind of sympathy for humanity (although the motives of the individual cybrid minds that make it up vary a lot). For being machine intelligences, the cybrids have a surprising amount of individuality.

This means that you do have to be careful about which pilots you pick on certain missions - no matter how much you might like that skilled pilot, they can and will turn on you during certain missions, and if you're a real bad judge of character having half your squad go rogue is gonna make things a whole fuckton harder, and when it happened to me and two of my team turned, it loving hurt. You bastards, I raised you up from nothing because I liked you, and this is how you repay me!?

Anyway, game sold like poo poo but it was really awesome and its worth playing and it will never get remade or remastered and that makes me sad.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i see your starsiege stanning and i raise you, missionforce cyberstorm stanning

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I'm staking my claim on Michael Jordan: Chaos in the Windy City

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1227690/Severed_Steel/

This game looks neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzwCsMFiblc

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

homeless snail posted:

i see your starsiege stanning and i raise you, missionforce cyberstorm stanning

Was cyberstorm actually any good? I know its still got the cybrids and bioderms and stuff, but I've never actually played it. Which is actually pretty sad since I think its on GOG now, I gotta do something about that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm doin' the end of Okami and aw geez it's everyone we met along the way and now they know that I'm a god and believe in me :qq:

E: Boooo, they couldn't get Reset back for the credits

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 15, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hatty posted:

As long as it’s not SMTV, Elden Ring, or Metroid Dread I don’t care

Yeah please no SMTV delays, i've waited long enough for this game.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

GlyphGryph posted:

Was cyberstorm actually any good? I know its still got the cybrids and bioderms and stuff, but I've never actually played it. Which is actually pretty sad since I think its on GOG now, I gotta do something about that.
My impression of the Earthsiege/Battledrome series back in the day was that it was the also-ran to the Mechwarrior "Trilogy" - not as good, not as strategic, slower, uglier, but that after getting those early games under their belt they really knocked it out of the park with StarSiege, which was everything Mechwarrior 3 wasn't (due to switching developers rather than having seasoned developers build on every lesson they learned), just in time for the whole big budget AAA stompy mech sim genre to collapse into a singularity, taking the big budget AAA space sim genre with it.

Cyberstorm I don't remember but could it possibly stand up to MechCommander?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fizSq5ltF8M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH5vJCJ6wXw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quWdmdwuI1E

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 15, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

Seriously though anyone who hasn't played Starsiege should do it. You might be more familiar with the spinoff series it birthed set in the same universe, Starsiege: Tribes - but personally, I think the original is just such a better game, even if Tribes is really fun. It itself was the sequel to the Earthsiege games, and the Cyberstorm games were also set in the same universe.

And the studio has since released the game for free!

Do you have more info on where to get this and how to get it running on Windows 10? Starsiege was one of my favorite games when I was growing up. I played it for hours everyday when it was a new game. Now that i'm an adult with disposable income, i've given up on the giant mech sim genre in video games, because all of the modern day attempts are bad, and I just play the table top Battletech game instead.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's Okami done and dusted just in time for me to get Psychonauts 2 in the next couple days.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the demo was very fun!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

I said come in! posted:

Do you have more info on where to get this and how to get it running on Windows 10? Starsiege was one of my favorite games when I was growing up. I played it for hours everyday when it was a new game. Now that i'm an adult with disposable income, i've given up on the giant mech sim genre in video games, because all of the modern day attempts are bad, and I just play the table top Battletech game instead.
I don't remember if StarSiege needed any fixes for Windows 10, but Hi-Rez studios put all of the EarthSiege, StarSiege, and Tribes games up for download a while back, and StarSiege is included in the same download as Tribes 1 because that's how they were bundled back in the UK

https://www.pcgamer.com/hi-rez-makes-previous-tribes-games-free/

https://www.tribesuniverse.com/

I suppose for the ultimate compatibility you could run them in a VM or even run Wine on Windows 10's Linux Subsystem

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 15, 2021

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

the demo was very fun!

How does her arm cannon weapon work, is it a full weapon in its own right or is it solely a utility/secondary thing? I noticed it wasn't used too much in the various trailers.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

its a really good digital interpretation of a battletech-type wargame, which is great because your only options in that space are pretty much just missionforce cyberstorm, the recent battletech, or megamek. and imo, cyberstorm is probably a better and more varied strategy game than that battletech

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm doin' the end of Okami and aw geez it's everyone we met along the way and now they know that I'm a god and believe in me :qq:

ISSUN YOU DIDN'T ABANDON ME :cry:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Starsiege will also always hold a place in my heart because it was how I got into "modding", by which I mean I realized I could edit the image files to skin my Hercs however I wanted and oh boy did I.

I said come in! posted:

Last time I got it running was a while ago, before they released it for free, so I'll look into it and see if anything has changed (hopefully for the better). I've got the itch to play it again anyway.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Been playing some more It Takes Two with Lady VG and it might be one of the best games I have ever played. Each section is just long enough for me to want more with the tools provided while not wearing out the welcome.

It looks and moves phenomenally on my Digi5 and it controls great. It has been a truly lovely surprise :)

Also apparently we are just over halfway through so I am inching towards FFVIIoriginal. Might be this Sunday I get to play it :3:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I feel like Baldur's Gate 3 is the next major game that's gonna get delayed. It's supposed to be out of early access in a month and I don't think I've heard anything from Larian saying like "oh yeah we've got this full steam ahead" in a long time.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean, there's a discussion to be had in the linked article, where they discuss it as a game that features nurturing mechanics, focuses on transportation, and has physicality to the gameplay (the article writer argues that it should also have some sort of asynchronous collaboration)

Yeah I feel like postman simulator fits that fine.

Have there been any games in the past that fit the description for strand type game?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

VideoGames posted:

Been playing some more It Takes Two with Lady VG and it might be one of the best games I have ever played. Each section is just long enough for me to want more with the tools provided while not wearing out the welcome.

It looks and moves phenomenally on my Digi5 and it controls great. It has been a truly lovely surprise :)

Also apparently we are just over halfway through so I am inching towards FFVIIoriginal. Might be this Sunday I get to play it :3:

It Takes Two was a blast to play, save for maybe being a little long overall. It has a great look too.

The writing though? ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's the indie game Lake where you literally are just a mailwoman, you deliver mail to people's houses, that's it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Yeah I feel like postman simulator fits that fine.

Have there been any games in the past that fit the description for strand type game?
chulip is definitely a strand game

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Graveyard Keeper is definitely my favorite farming sim so far. No romance, rough writing, progression is a bit wonky, but I really like the concept and the setting and god it feels so nice to automate the tasks that used to take all your time in a way that lets you quickly and easily reallocate your automation resources.

Also I finally figured the teleport stone is infinite use and smacked myself for taking so long to buy it and try it

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Relax Or DIE posted:

It Takes Two was a blast to play, save for maybe being a little long overall. It has a great look too.

The writing though? ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

Lady VG and I are properly into it. The gameplay writing makes us laugh and Hakeem is a good foil for us to go 'ugh' with.

Though she hates the parents so much and keeps getting angry and shouting at them. I admit they have an awful method for fixing things right now! Break their childs' favourite toy to make her cry?! No parent should want to do that!!

Plus a bit of whiplash between how sad the cutscenes can be and how happy and jolly the gameplay can be.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean, there's a discussion to be had in the linked article, where they discuss it as a game that features nurturing mechanics, focuses on transportation, and has physicality to the gameplay (the article writer argues that it should also have some sort of asynchronous collaboration)
actually reading this post instead of skimming the quote now, and I think that's total bullshit. if that's what that guy thinks then he absolutely didn't understand what kojima was talking about, and is working on the shallowest and most facile interpretation of the concept. which I guess fits just fine, just like how every hunting action game that's not monhan and every bad dark souls ripoff completely fail to understand what is compelling about those games, it's death strandings turn now to be poorly imitated

not gonna read the article to confirm whether that guy sucks or not though

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

*reading the great gatsby* wow this gatsby guy sure is great, time to make my gatsby-like

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Someone made what is more or less a little Densha de Go game in Pico-8 and I cannot stop playing it, it is super goddamn relaxing. Plays in your browser. Drive a train through a chill little landscape with chill little music. Try and stop perfectly to pick up passengers or just... don't and enjoy the scenery and tunes.

I highly recommend it.

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=41332

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Sep 15, 2021

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

homeless snail posted:

*reading the great gatsby* wow this gatsby guy sure is great, time to make my gatsby-like

*reading the great gatsby* zzzzzzzzzz mimimimi zzzzzzzzz mimimimi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's my birthday!