Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's an MCU Blade movie in early development, if the world doesn't get derailed again it'll probably come out in 2024 at the earliest and that's when you'd expect Blade to show up in tie-in games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean that the 2023 Spider-Man 2 will line up more or less with Blade & Morbius being fresh “new” Marvel IPs with recent films, and so releasing a Halloween vampires DLC would be completely in line with what we’ve seen from the series so far.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
How does running games off a 1TB external HDD compare to the stock internal HDD (which I understand is a crappy budget model)? I'm finding it pretty annoying to have to keep deleting stuff whenever I get a new game, not to mention how long it takes to re-download/re-install one if I decide I want to play it later.

In other news, looking forward to finally playing RDR2 soon.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ethics_Gradient posted:

How does running games off a 1TB external HDD compare to the stock internal HDD (which I understand is a crappy budget model)? I'm finding it pretty annoying to have to keep deleting stuff whenever I get a new game, not to mention how long it takes to re-download/re-install one if I decide I want to play it later.

If it’s in any way a decent USB3.0 drive, it’s absolutely fine!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Love mine, I spent maybe $80 and now ive got infinite playstation games and a huge drive for the next console I get

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If it’s in any way a decent USB3.0 drive, it’s absolutely fine!

But it's not actually gonna be too noticeable, right? (e:I mean with regards to speed.) I thought even SSDs didn't make a big difference for most games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’ll put it this way, it would be very hard to get a drive SLOWER than the internal HDD so as long as you get a decent brand, you definitely won’t notice any slower speeds. You could use an external SSD but for PS4, you’d be better off just buying a larger HDD with the same money.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Rinkles posted:

But it's not actually gonna be too noticeable, right? (e:I mean with regards to speed.) I thought even SSDs didn't make a big difference for most games.

It's this, it really depends on the game. For one, Monster Hunter World load times are a ton faster off of my external SSD than the internal.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

I’ll put it this way, it would be very hard to get a drive SLOWER than the internal HDD so as long as you get a decent brand, you definitely won’t notice any slower speeds. You could use an external SSD but for PS4, you’d be better off just buying a larger HDD with the same money.

Yeah, that's what it seemed like, and I guess USB 3 is fast enough it doesn't really matter internal vs external.

If money were no object I'd much rather upgrade the internal drive to a larger one and not have Yet Another Thing Plugged In on my TV unit... but that'd be basically doubling the cost of my secondhand Pro and there's no way I'd pay that much for such a minor QoL thing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Yeah, that's what it seemed like, and I guess USB 3 is fast enough it doesn't really matter internal vs external.

If money were no object I'd much rather upgrade the internal drive to a larger one and not have Yet Another Thing Plugged In on my TV unit... but that'd be basically doubling the cost of my secondhand Pro and there's no way I'd pay that much for such a minor QoL thing.

Depending on the drive you buy, there’s a very very good chance you can just take it out of the enclosure and swap it in to your PS4 internal drive bay, it just uses standard laptop sized drives for HDD and SSD. It’s super easy, you need a USB stick to install the OS

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why does Rage 2 have a patch thats 28GB

The whole game is just over 30

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Presumably it adds the dlc

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i put a terabyte samsung ssd in my ps4 when i got it. idk how much faster it is than the stock hdd because i never used the hdd, but i do routinely find that games people complain about having long load times on base ps4 don't feel that bad to me

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Probably rewriting the file structure. Doom 2016 got actually smaller after patches because they removed duplicated files and optimized the install.

Weedle posted:

i put a terabyte samsung ssd in my ps4 when i got it. idk how much faster it is than the stock hdd because i never used the hdd, but i do routinely find that games people complain about having long load times on base ps4 don't feel that bad to me

I put a SSD on my slim last year and while certain games don't benefit much on load times, the entire OS is faster (more noticeable on the store). My 1TB internal SSD parired with a good 4Tb external spinny drive have serverd me drat well.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Guillermus posted:

Probably rewriting the file structure. Doom 2016 got actually smaller after patches because they removed duplicated files and optimized the install.

Did it? I remember at one point they landed on exactly 66.6GB but further updates ruined that.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oh yeah, Doom 2016 was 85-87Gb at launch, the last patches were to tie the slayer club with the classic dooms and Eternal.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Alright, Greedfall definitely goes on a little too long. I hit like three points that I thought were the endgame only to have some very busywork style missions pop up before it would let me continue the plot. The long jog up and down the stairs in the city of Theleme to get to and from the governor's throne room to your fast travel house was a definite low point.

There was one funny bit where I hadn't ever returned to the city of Hikmet after the very beginning of the game so when I was forced to go there for the plot I had four separate conversations with the governor in a row with no break in between, so I went from pledging to help him to angrily accusing him of murder to pledging to help him again.

Still a pretty good effort, and some choices did come back around in the end in ways I didn't expect. I'm not exactly rushing out to buy the next Spiders game or anything but it will be interesting to see if they can build on some of the stuff they tried here.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So far every Spiders game had been exponentially better than the last one, it's just they started out so dire GreedFall is the first one really worth playing.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I just bought Ghost of Tsushima, what difficulty should I play if I've played and beaten Sekiro? Also English or Japanese language?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oscar Wild posted:

I just bought Ghost of Tsushima, what difficulty should I play if I've played and beaten Sekiro? Also English or Japanese language?

If you're playing it on PS4, be aware that Japanese lipsync animations are not available, that's PS5-only

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Oscar Wild posted:

Play it on Easy. The most interesting combats the difficulty doesn't really matter, but timing does. The main selling point of the game is the exploration.

What I mean about timing is you have a bunch of one on one duels and fights that start with a quicktime event. I don't think the difficulty effects these.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Oscar Wild posted:

Normal felt very well balanced to me right through the end of the game + dlc. Satisfying but never brutally frustrating or anything. I found the English voices to be real good so I suggest them. Helps catch dialogue you may miss in the heat of action with the japanese track too. Enjoy! It’s a great game.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Oscar Wild posted:

Normal’s fine to start, Tsushima isn’t really focused heavily on its challenge and there’s a pretty broad set of skills and abilities to pick up and get used to.

Once you’re feeling pretty comfortable with it and have the bulk of stuff unlocked, I recommend skipping Hard and switching to Lethal if you feel like bumping it up. Lethal to me feels less like it’s cheaply harder and more like it’s just faster, where Hard felt like just Normal with the enemy stats bumped up.

Lethal can be pretty brutal depending on what types of enemies you’re up against, but with you and enemies being extra fragile it really rewards making use of all the systems, and the penalty for failure is about a five second loading screen. Even on the PS4, GoT’s loading times are obscenely fast.

And for me at least, Japanese audio with subs all the way. Even knowing the game was written and voiced in English first it still feels weird to me to play it that way.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve played through the whole game on Lethal and am doing the DLC on Lethal as well. The thing is Sekiro has harder enemies but Jin has like 4-5 different flavors of “tap R1/R2 to instantly kill everyone” style gadgets and moves, so the game is really only as challenging as you’d like it to be.

I can mulch entire bases from the shadows, or just face tank 25 mongols in Samurai regalia, or pick them off from across the river with my long bow, it’s really whatever you feel like.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Waltzing Along posted:

Play it on Easy. The most interesting combats the difficulty doesn't really matter, but timing does. The main selling point of the game is the exploration.

What I mean about timing is you have a bunch of one on one duels and fights that start with a quicktime event. I don't think the difficulty effects these.

I'm pretty sure the difficulty setting affects duels too

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

Normal felt very well balanced to me right through the end of the game + dlc. Satisfying but never brutally frustrating or anything. I found the English voices to be real good so I suggest them. Helps catch dialogue you may miss in the heat of action with the japanese track too. Enjoy! It’s a great game.

It was one of those dubs where even though everyone is speaking the same foreign language they all have accents, removing the main advantage of a dub. I don't understand why Americans do this.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Spermando posted:

It was one of those dubs where even though everyone is speaking the same foreign language they all have accents, removing the main advantage of a dub. I don't understand why Americans do this.

Lol what?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Dubs in every other country don't have the actors speak with accents. That's why you want a dub, to hear the dialogue spoken by people who talk like you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Uh, no.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It's personal taste on a stylistic choice, but he's not wrong. What they went for is the generic style you'd see in a boring Hollywood samurai movie like The Last Samurai. If they have them speak English with a Japanese accent in ol' Japan, it sounds like English as a second language. Which is just a hodgepodge choice.

Where as a proper samurai English dub would be more like say an anime dub, where it's just people sounding dapper and classy, like Richard Hayworth or David Hayter etc. But that would be too stylized and fun for the generic tone of that game.

Everybody in God of War could've sounded like Niko Bellic, now that would've been something. Or Borat. We only do so many accents in our dubs.

And also, again, they're correct in what they're saying about dubs in other countries. In Japan they have Solid Snake (Akio Otsuka) voicing cool movie roles like Sam Jackson in Pulp Fiction etc, and it seems they tend to just sound natural as they'd speak in any role.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Sep 15, 2021

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Exactly, we don't do that everywhere else because it sounds like the dialogue is being read by confused exchange students who are simultaneously very good at grammar and very bad at phonetics. It's unnatural and adds a layer of abstraction that is better left out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If a game is associated with a real country like GOT, or say... Metro, it would be really off putting if the english dub just had everyone speaking with an American accent. Also Americans aren't the only ones playing with English dubs. Or do they make a separate track for every country that speaks english?

I play games that should be native to other languages with english dubs sometimes, because I don't want to read subtitles in the middle of smacking things with swords or shooting guys. It's not some sort of comfort zone where I need everyone to sound like me lol.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 15, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

If a game is associated with a real country like GOT, or say... Metro, it would be really off putting if the english dub just had everyone speaking with an American accent.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Everyone should be Texan like the Aura Battler Dunbine dub

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Why is that more offputting than the fact that they would speak perfect English amongst themselves but with super heavy accents (which never happens in real life)?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What in the hell are you even talking about hahaha

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Loads of foreign people I know speak English with an accent ??? I used to teach in a college where the students were almost entirely foreign people and they all had very noticeable accents when speaking English.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Loads of foreign people I know speak English with an accent ???
Did they make zero grammar mistakes over the course of several hours and use lots of idioms?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The reason why this works in one direction and not always the other is because English has been a ubiquitous language of entertainment media for the last 100 years, such that foreign accents are actually recognizable and placeable. If French were the dominant language of film and television then we'd all be really attuned to those Quebecois weirdos. But even in languages other than English, accents are used all the time to represent class, region, location, etc. like how Japanese dubs will use an Osaka accent to represent the American South.

Spermando posted:

Why is that more offputting than the fact that they would speak perfect English amongst themselves but with super heavy accents (which never happens in real life)?

You do know that everyone speaks English with an accent, right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Have you seriously never met someone with an accent who speaks perfectly fine English? I feel like that is something most people experience on a daily basis.