Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Delsaber posted:

One weird trick: compare the opening hours of every new RPG to Suikoden V and nothing will ever feel too slow again

The "slow" opening to Suikoden V is faster than a lot of more modern jrpgs, honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also a ton happens plot-wise in the opening. The gameplay doesn't open up for a few hours but I wouldn't really call Suikoden V 'slow'.

Not in comparison to stuff like DQ VII or Persona 4.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Zore posted:

Also a ton happens plot-wise in the opening. The gameplay doesn't open up for a few hours but I wouldn't really call Suikoden V 'slow'.

Not in comparison to stuff like DQ VII or Persona 4.

Persona 5 is comparable/worse for me then 4, it made me rethink my love for 3 and 4. The beginning of 5 is too slow.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

4 is way loving slower than 5. Five at least starts with a bang and gets you into it quickly. It takes loving forever for 4 to get started

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, having played them both recently 4 doesn't even start hinting at the plot by the point you're already in Kamoshida's Palace in 5. 4 dicks around early on forever without anything going on.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Zore posted:

Yeah, having played them both recently 4 doesn't even start hinting at the plot by the point you're already in Kamoshida's Palace in 5. 4 dicks around early on forever without anything going on.

The gameplay in the beginning of 5 doesn’t get interesting until you’re allowed to talk to new personas though. It’s been a bit since I did 4s beginning so I may be misremembering how much downtime there is in the beginning. I also like first couple cast members in 4 a lot more.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i love video games

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also I think p5 made the correct decision to make the first few chapters episodic, and more importantly as opposed to persona 4 where poo poo just kind of happens to the cast, the p5 cast tend to be actually active participants in the story

the long term storytelling is another matter but going episodic is a good way to handle long rear end games like that

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I’ve thought about it a little more and I’m really leaning towards it being the characters making it seem longer than it is. I can relate a lot more with the sort of loser characters you befriend in the beginning of 4 and just hang out with. 4 is slower, but you’re also in a way lower stress situation and your friends and people around you are just sort of normal where as in 5 everyone’s either imploding around you or actively plotting against you.

Edit: I’ve wrapped all the way around and P5 isn’t slow enough.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 15, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

p4 should be slower because the first chapter is the part of the game thats actually decently written and relevant social commentary, and the longer it stays there, the better

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

One thing that Makes P5 feel faster is that the Cast is much more active. Most of P4 is spent for them just waiting around for people to get kidnapped, P5 they're actually out there looking for targets

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Delsaber posted:

One weird trick: compare the opening hours of every new RPG to Suikoden V and nothing will ever feel too slow again

Suikoden V is long as hell and I get why you felt like it started slow but there was a LOT going on. It's nothing like, say, Dragon Quest 7's first few hours.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Your the first person I’ve seen say it was slow.

In fact most say it’s to fast

arise is slow by way of it being plodding and lingering

like every time a Thing happens there will be three skits that keep beating the same topic for that chapter until a new Thing drops

but then it leaps forward onto a brand new thing

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Some say I am still playing Dragon Quest 7's opening, as I have been since the day it came out

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Life is just the DQ7 opening.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the opening of p4 does a more successful job giving its characters charming sol dialog and gags than the entire rest of the game does. could uh, probably use also having some actual gameplay somewhere within those first three hours though

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 15, 2021

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah like Persona 5 has a few days in Kamoshidas palace that's heavy tutorializing and just Morgana walking you through the steps but at least you're playing the game and not just chatting up with fellow classmates while someone is getting murdered offscreen.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hell not even the dungeons specifically just open up the daily life sim stuff a bit more, iirc you're not even really allowed to interact with much of that until right before the whole opening period is basically over

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Arise's combat is really good but I feel like the game stops me every few steps with a 20min cutscene or skit.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
If you don't feel like watching a skit at the moment all skits you've unlocked are available at camp even if you haven't watched them.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

My dumb JRPG brain thinks it'll miss something if I don't watch the skits there and then.

I should just watch em all at camp while doing something else.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

My dumb JRPG brain thinks it'll miss something if I don't watch the skits there and then.

arise is extremely well designed, tehre's no missable content. in fact, there's an owl in a one-time only dungeon that you can't go back to, and if you miss it there it shows up elsewhere.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Endorph posted:

arise is extremely well designed, tehre's no missable content. in fact, there's an owl in a one-time only dungeon that you can't go back to, and if you miss it there it shows up elsewhere.
It really is! I love the small QoL stuff like marking a skill you're saving sp for and it'll notify you when you have enough and gathering points displayed on a map as well as if you've harvestd them or not.

Arise is really well done.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

While I recommend that, I did unintentionally create something funnier than possibly intended when I had a skit in which Dohalim very very poorly tries to confess interest in Kisara which immediately got followed by me taking the quest where Dohalim is like Renan/Danan love? Well I have to do something about that because I really approve eh Kisara? Eh? Eh?. So much water in Menacia and yet the lord thirsts

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Barudak posted:

While I recommend that, I did unintentionally create something funnier than possibly intended when I had a skit in which Dohalim very very poorly tries to confess interest in Kisara which immediately got followed by me taking the quest where Dohalim is like Renan/Danan love? Well I have to do something about that because I really approve eh Kisara? Eh? Eh?. So much water in Menacia and yet the lord thirsts

That doesn't sound bad just funny.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

That doesn't sound bad just funny.

I don't think I said it was bad, it got a good chuckle out of me and something that wouldn't have happened if I didn't activate the skits and waited till my next rest.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sorry I just misread the post and assumed it was a negative thing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Barudak posted:

Chrono Cross Remaster? Be still my beating heart

I dont believe this is true unless im playing it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just gonna echo that Tales of Arise is sovereign over Quality of Life Mountain.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Golden Goat posted:

Sorry I just misread the post and assumed it was a negative thing.

It is a Barudak post, after all

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Whats stopping me from murdering everyone in Divinity OG sin

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You'll miss their dialogue at which point why are you playing divinity

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I can hear their dialogue and then stab them

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Whats stopping me from murdering everyone in Divinity OG sin

Nothing. All quests are designed with failsafes for genocidal murderhobos.

Amppelix posted:

You'll miss their dialogue at which point why are you playing divinity

The combat? It's exceptional for a turn-based RPG. I can't think of a turn-based RPG with a better combat system.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 15, 2021

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Levantine posted:

I did play with the Evolution effects on accessories and weapons and you can create some cool stuff there. A Goddess Cup on a weapon will give you lifesteal, for example. An Elixir will boost item damage. I really appreciate the game gives you so many easy ways to experiment with this stuff. Once you can create some good Neutralizers you can create some good Crystal Elements and Arc en Ciels. And don't get me started on the 10 element Ancient Philosophers stones that do element spread +4 and hit 3 of 4 element types (you can just make the other element type too if you want).

Ooh, I never really did that - I should boot up Ryza 2 and break it harder with those Evolution effects.

And yeah, good call with Skill Charge++. I think it was one of the Dusk games where your regular attack counted as a skill? But then, you barely use regular attacks, so Skill Charge ++ is definitely the way to go.

e: Agreed on the story. Over the course of both Ryza 1 and Ryza 2, we see the characters mature. Part of that is to head out and explore, gaining new experiences - rather than just doing it to ditch work, Ryza becomes genuinely interested in the history of alchemy; rather than merely excited because she finally has a skill of her own that sets her apart and gives her an identity, she wants to make sure she doesn't use it carelessly (she should make some alchemy gadgets to help out with the farm, though).
I like that the characters understand that sometimes you need to make your own experiences, and trust each other to still have a bond even if they're apart. It's a much better take than the usual "and then the magic goes away and you become a salaryman/worker" that a lot of japanese stories have, presumably to stop people from becoming a communist when they realise that work sucks.

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 15, 2021

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I should really go back and start Atelier Ayesha, I picked it up forever ago and then just didn’t want to read through the dialogue in the beginning before the game starts.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Divinity Original Sin 1's dialog wears out its welcome real fast anyway. Just kill away when bored.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i love video games

What is that..?

Endorph posted:

p4 should be slower because the first chapter is the part of the game thats actually decently written and relevant social commentary, and the longer it stays there, the better

Did you mean 5 or do I just not know enough about Japanese culture to pick up on it in p4?

I didn't really like anyone in the party until Kanji showed up, which is part of why the opening drags so much for me.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 15, 2021

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Acerbatus posted:

What is that..?

Did you mean 5 or do I just not know enough about Japanese culture to pick up on it in p4?

I didn't really like anyone in the party until Kanji showed up, which is part of why the opening drags so much for me.

4 has some decent social commentary about Yosuke and the person who works at Junes that becomes a victim in the TV. It’s pretty good irrespective of the specific culture, just an examination of 2 people from very different social strata. It’s a very good opening. I’d agree it’s probably the best written portion of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

TheMightyBoops posted:

I should really go back and start Atelier Ayesha, I picked it up forever ago and then just didn’t want to read through the dialogue in the beginning before the game starts.

The calendar is a lot less tight in Ayesha; it's the start of the change to New Atelier where you move at your own pace, I believe. I hope you have fun! I enjoyed the story and characters, and the music is really great too. MARIA is one of my dearest OST tracks.